New Lavers -- modifying & playability -- observations

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Tjuggles
Flower Child

New Lavers -- modifying & playability -- observations

Post by Tjuggles » 16 Feb 2015 16:26

I just received my new Lavers today! I thought it would be helpful if I wrote up my thoughts and observations for them since they are the new model.

:arrow: Cushier-looking than old Lavers (neutral?)
The first thing I noticed, before taking them out of the box, was that they looked a bit cushier on the inside and toe. It turns out instead of two layers of mesh, there is one on the outside, and some sort of foamy material on the inside (thus making it look like it has more cushion). Also noteworthy is that the inside tongue is now all one piece (see picture).

:arrow: Noticeably heavier that old Lavers (negative)
When I lifted one of the lavers out of the box, I noticed instantly that it was significantly heaver than the old model.

:arrow: Softer-feeling mesh (positive)
The mesh seems softer, maybe becuase there is less glue needed to hold the foamy material? Also it is less rough, i.e., more maleable. Third, it is more stretchy; it is possible to see the front most area of the underside (innerside) the toe area, meaning cutting that part of the inner layer is easier.

:arrow: Stitches on toe box cut and pull apart easier (positive)
Cutting the stitches is noticeably easier; I spent like 10 seconds on one shoe; once I started the cut, they pulled apart easily.

:arrow: Inner layer of mesh pulls apart easier than old Lavers (positive)
You don't need to first wash the shoes, or even get something like a screwdriver in between to loosen.

:arrow: Inside of shoe seems grippier after modifying (positive)
I also like how some of the foam is still on the inside of toe area; it will likely prevent slippage once my feet get sweaty.

:arrow: Insole isn't protruding into inside delay area (positive)
I didn't need to cut the inside section that usually pushed the mesh of the inside delay area out.

:arrow: Sole feels much more grippy to the touch (positive)
Although the sole is heavier, it feels more rubbery, and hopefully that also means it's (1) more durable, and (2) grippier.

:arrow: Time needed to modify was significantly less than old Lavers (positive)
It took 5 minutes to get the inner layer of the toe cut out (in one complete piece). Likewise, it took 4 minutes for the inside mesh layer.

:arrow: Option to remove entire inner layer of tongue now possible (positive)

:arrow: Inner material cuts truer
See the pics, but I was able to get all four inside layers out in whole pieces, a task (for me at least) in old lavers.

:arrow: Inner material pulls apart easier
Once the initial cuts are made, it is easy to pull the inner layer off (TIP: make sure to pull the foam as well to remove as much of it also)

:arrow: Conclusion
In short, it seems like the only thing old Lavers had going for them compared to the new is that they were lighter. Even then, we aren't talking about a lot of weight either.

I am going to use them today and I will update this thread to include 'Playability'.

*EDIT:*
:arrow: Playability
The new Lavers were noticeably heavier on my feet. I seemed slower and it felt like I had to try harder to set the bag to the height I wanted.

On the other hand, the soles had much more grip, I still hit all of the moves I normally hit, and I actually hit two new moves: surging ss butterfly bs. I did notice too that my balance was a bit off on spins, and I think it may have to do with the weight of the shoe, but overall nothing that really threw me off.

At the end of the sesh I wondered whether I will get used to the new Lavers, whereas with the old Lavers I never thought that. I'm sure I will though so if anything, since they are heavier my legs will get that much stronger.

I hope this is helpful.

PS I took pictures at various stages of this process, but haven't uploaded them. However, if people want to see them, then I will. :)
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Asmus
Ass Moose

Re: New Lavers -- modifying & playability -- observations

Post by Asmus » 17 Feb 2015 00:21

I would very much like to see pictures.

Thanks for doing this!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 20 Feb 2015 13:33

Ass moose wrote:I would very much like to see pictures.
Ok, will edit them in to the first post soon.

I have been playing with the Lavers for about 4 days, and still a bit unsure of them. The increased grip is great, but I still feel like I am recalibrating the amount of effort needed for sets and delays. They are still really new though, so I don't think I should jump the gun and make a final call on them yet. I am hoping I will be used to them by the time I get to Toronto, to kick with the FAT crew.

I am also debating whether I should cut out the inside foam layer around the top of the shoe, the part that hugs my ankle. Kind of like Broca's mod, but not the whole shoe, just the inner lining; it may be affecting my crank...
TJ Boutorwick

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 03 Mar 2015 05:36

so far this is matching my own experience. i wear mine around for walking atm as i want to get used to the weigth. while cassually kicking in them i feel that extra weight, but as you pointed out, i think this may just lead to stronger legs. after all, we are talking about what? 180gramms extra? thats not too much i think
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 03 Mar 2015 12:30

mahhkohh wrote:... i feel that extra weight, but as you pointed out, i think this may just lead to stronger legs. after all, we are talking about what? 180gramms extra? thats not too much i think

Yeah, that is what I think too; not too much extra weight. I am getting more used to them and they don't seem to be a problem, although on a gym floor there is so much grip that it is hard to spin sometimes. I don't think that can be a complaint though, can it? I remember thinking yesterday how swirls were becoming easier, like how they were in the old lavers. Things are looking like the new Lavers won't be an issue after all...

I still need to post pics in the first post of this thread...
TJ Boutorwick

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 09 Jan 2019 06:06

In retrospect, how did the new heavy Lavers fare for freestyle? Any chance of those pics you mentioned? :P

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 19 Jan 2019 14:40

Dio wrote:
09 Jan 2019 06:06
Any chance of those pics you mentioned? :P
Unfortunately I don't think I have the pictures since my phone died before I could get them off. Sorry!

Dio wrote:
09 Jan 2019 06:06
In retrospect, how did the new heavy Lavers fare for freestyle?
No real issues...in fact, I think I may have used that same pair at World's in 2017 when I took 7th, if that helps?
TJ Boutorwick

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 17 Jun 2020 13:24

The new lavers are playable but they are significantly heavier compared with the older version of the shoe which I have found annoying particularly for some multi-dex tricks.

kyle
Shredaholic

Post by kyle » 16 Feb 2021 20:41

Here's a weight comparison for sz9.5:

_China Lavers, ~2002 Blue Leather (sole has some wear)_
11.2oz
12.7oz with specno polysorb cross trainer insole

_China Lavers, ~2010 Green/White Material_
11.9oz

_China Lavers, 2014+ Black/Green/Gold Material_
15.2oz
The 2014+ lavers have a different/heavier design, regardless of where they're manufactured.

_Indonesia Lavers, 2014+ Gray/Blue Material_
15.4oz
After tearing the Indonesia Lavers apart: The upper is 1oz heavier and the sole is 3.2oz heavier than the ~2002 China Lavers.

_Indonesia Lavers, 2014+ Black/White Leather_
18.8oz

Also, here's a comparison with pictures by Scott Davidson: http://footbagfreestyle.blogspot.com/20 ... -blue.html
Last edited by kyle on 20 Feb 2021 11:04, edited 2 times in total.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 17 Feb 2021 18:18

This is great, thanks for the comparison and the link!
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Mar 2021 23:58

There's also the Vietnam lavers which are I believe somewhere in between.