Muffinman

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Muffinman
the gimp

Re: Muffinman

Post by Muffinman » 04 Sep 2017 08:15

Thanks guys. Yeah, we play Wednesdays at about 5:30 PM and Sundays at about 2 PM, at this spot (hopefully the link works) :
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Harbou ... 79.3789371

We play at the edge of where that grassy bit meets "Harbour Square", by the water.

EDIT: Oops, top post. Here's a video:

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 06 Sep 2017 10:07

Some random thoughts:
-I really want to go to the next Worlds. I hope it's Japan, since my girlfriend and I want to travel there anyway.
-Maciej Dat, the Pole that lives here in Toronto half the time just hit pdx double blender (he posted in one of the Polish Facebook groups). Footage of him here in the video I made last summer, includes clownface > pixie paradon swirl attempt... (Also jani > blurry whirling swirl BSOS)
-I've been super sick for over 2 weeks now, but just realized I think it was the cold meds that were making me sick half of that time!

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 06 Sep 2017 17:06

Pdx Double Blender? Is it a public video? I can't find it.
Josh Gayhart ... keeping footbag tuff since 2002.

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 06 Sep 2017 17:13

Of course, I didn't look very hard, either.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Sep 2017 17:03

No video as far as I know, but I'll see if I can get him to hit it when he comes back to Toronto... I think later this month?

I was gonna wait until after tomorrow's session to post this, but I'm too excited about it! I love librarianing things, and there are few things I love in life more than librarianing footbag! Inspired by someone on the Facebook group (Grant Redding?), I starting putting together a list of all footbag tricks I've hit. The idea is that, by putting together a comprehensive list, I will come up with tons of tricks that I COULD hit that I haven't, and then have a massive bank of tricks from which I can hit a new one every single session! Kind of also inspired by Ken's 35 beasts by 35. Just a fun goal/achievement. I've been working tirelessly on the list and it still has so much more to be fleshed out. And as Mike Faille pointed out, tracking records too gives me even more new things that I can do per session -- break personal records (that will actually be documented and not forgotten...).

By this point I've tracked 351 tricks that I've hit, only 34 of which I haven't done flipside (though about 80% I think I can). And then about that same amount of tricks that I haven't hit. Some are super easy that I just never thought to like near symp butterfly. Some I will probably never hit, including some flipside tricks like quantum ducking mirage, or montage, or terraging mirage.

I also did some fancy Excel magic to exclude the highlighted (not yet hit) tricks from my total, the highlighted flipside tricks that I have yet to hit, the number of tricks that I've hit since I started this list (by date), and also I've documented records for each trick (to the best of my recollection, rounded down).

This has been suuuper fun, and I still have a ton of work to go. I figure I've hit probably in the 500-range of tricks.
Here's the spreadsheet (work in progress):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 08 Sep 2017 18:35

I like your idea of librarianing! It gives me a few new ideas for my idea.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 09 Sep 2017 16:54

Haha cool. I'd like to hear what your idea is.
I'm also a librarian for a living. I think you knew that. I was working in my field when you stayed at my place that one time.

So today was a very productive session!
Alex and I bussed out to Hamilton, which is a smaller town about an hour away. That's where Mike lives. He busses out to sessions twice a week, so it was our turn for once. There was a big street festival happening. This is also where Jorden Moir lives. He was supposed to be busking at the festival and he also said he wanted to meet up to shred. We stopped by his place and spoke with his mom who was happy to see us, but Jorden never showed or texted us back. Ah well.

I hit 41 new tricks today, about 30 of which before even warming up. Haha. Yeah, most were really easy tricks that I'd just never thought to do before, but the cool part was that the toughest trick I hit first try both sides -- ripcurl. I'd done riptide before a few times, but this was a first I think (actually... I've maybe hit it before, but I'm erring on the side of not..). Other noteable-ish tricks were flip slapdown, blazing pickup BSOS, near butt swirl... There is one trick BS that I can't for the life of me remember! Most of these weren't even on my list, I just started doing them and the ideas wouldn't stop. It was mostly symple osis and symposium butterfly tricks. I'll go and update my list later tonight. I'm just cooking up some ribs and gonna relax with some Game of Thrones, which I've started marathoning from the beginning (at the end of season 2 now).

Oh, also, we may jam with Johnny on Monday or Tuesday. He may be staying at my house. I'm unsure. I heard all of this second-hand from Alex. Gonna be buying a queen-size air mattress in the next few months since my brother and his wife will visit in December, so... that should be maybe nicer than my couch for if any footbaggers ever need a place to stay in Toronto. I've hosted some noteable people since I've lived here: TJ, Tuan Vu, Dante, Johnny... I don't remember who else. I've hosted way more at my parents' place in Winnipeg when we used to run Hackrifice tournaments though. Oh, Matt Cross also.

Anyway, it was also 20x20 session #7, and despite it being really hot and a painful session because we were pushing hard for many onlookers, I got those 20 out of the way pretty quickly and easily. Oh yeah I also ended the session on rev whiylgig x2 > rev mullet x2 first try. Alex announced he was gonna try a 3-fearless combo and I said, hey, sure, me too. Unsure if I've done that combo before. Oh I'm also still a bit sick! It's been 2.5 weeks! My stamina was suffering and I was coughing up quite a bit of phlegm!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 10 Sep 2017 05:40

That spreadsheet looks great! I'm sure there's plenty of others in there I didn't know, but I didn't know that toe motion was called "Ocean" - I do that one a lot.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 13 Sep 2017 18:03

20x20 session #8:

It's starting to get dark really early now!
Alex beat me to 20x20 today! I think it was his first go at 20x20. Mike beat his run length record with 43 contacts!

My highlight was hitting 123 new tricks!
Granted they were all 1 and 2 add tricks... But new nonetheless! I'm working through my list.
I posted the 41 new from last time and Cass commented saying that must be the record. I'm super confident it isn't because Jay Boychuk is a thing. But that's what inspired me to do 100+. My list was actually for 160, and then about another 40 4+ add tricks, but the boys got a bit tired of my boring tricks. Haha. Only took me like 20 minutes though. And some WERE cool they admitted, like blazing cloud kicks, pogo knee kicks.

Anyway that's about all I have to share.
Considering US Open, but at the moment not many freestylers have confirmed and that is probably what will determine it for me. Though I am tempted by Vegas since I've never been...

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Sep 2017 02:31

100+ is pretty amazing. But I guess if it's stuff like frontside atomic knee bump (op and same side), swirling outside kick, quantum inside stall etc etc then you can clock them up quickly. US Open would be pretty cool, seems like it will be a big event, though I think the New Years Jam in Detroit will probably have more of a turnout for freestyle.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 14 Sep 2017 12:50

I have heard that NYJ is a great one to go to.

MOTOR CITY REPRESENT
TJ Boutorwick

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 Sep 2017 15:11

Yeah so turns out Im gonna go to NYJ instead! Gonna drive down with Cassy. Prettty sure I have the Friday off. I thought I checked at work yesterday but will have to confirm Monday. Stoked! Mostly for whirlyball 😂😎. Alex was just telling me about it -- free whirlyball with open bar, pool tables, catered pizza, and shred space??? WTF. How??

Just trying to update post-session on my streetcar ride home. I filmed a video and then spent all night editing it mostly just in response to Grant Redding (a new player?) who doesnt seem to understand symposium and has been kinda arguing with me about it in a thread I started in the Freestyle FB group. But so I did a bunch of symp tricks without warmup and had killer shin splints today that prevented me from shredding. Just worked on some single new tricks.

38 new tricks today (all both sides except the first 2 which ive only done good side before)
-flip toe merkon
-flip pixie diving clipper
-Ducking symple osis, toe
-Diving symple osis, toe
-Weaving osis, clip
-Zulu osis, clip
-Ducking symp butt, toe
-Diving symp butt, toe
-Spin symp butt
-Gyro symp butt
-Spin duck symple osis
-Gyro diving symple osis
-toe-set far butterfly swirl
-toe set near butt swirl
-toe set near whipping swirl
-tapping osis
-atomic osis
-slapping osis
-quantum osis
-nuclear near osis

I think my highlight of the "session" though was 6 flip twists and 5 good side! My record was 3 each side before and I cant believe I could do more flip than good haha. What's even better is the flip was in just a couple attempts and I tried soo many times to match it good side (got 5 many times but couldnt push 6!)

Oh yeah also footed flip toebius a fee times. Feels just as hard as spinning mobius... very blind!

Anyway, here's the symposium video I made, though i dont think this guy believes me about symposium and symple. He keeps arguing and trying to get other people to discredit what I say 😂

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Sep 2017 22:12

Happened to be digging in my old footbag video archives and came across my 4 fearless from 2003. The Blurry whirl x2 > PS whirl x2. So weird to watch myself do tricks I haven't done in over a decade! Wow!

Last session I wasn't planning to play at all because I thought my shin splints would be too bad, but I did end up playing super gently. At first I just wanted to gauge the pain and did some weird things like behind the head sole kicks (the only new trick of the session), calf kicks and stuff. I ended the session on 17x near calf kick > far clipper, which always feels really cool. I think that's my record for that too. I also almost triple BSOSed mobius, which feels magical, but that was a tie for my record of mobiuses per string. And then I posted on Facebook that I hit 100 legovers first try to hand catch. Every single one after 30 burned. Haha.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Emoji!

Post by C-Fan » 25 Sep 2017 08:24

1. I think it's pretty neat that you've catalogued your move library. Similar to your experience, I found that writing out my beasts helped me identify ones I hadn't hit yet.
2. Those are some huge ass emoji you're using on this page. I guess big feelings lead to big emoji?
3. What's your record for consecutive mobius? I bet you could do 3-4.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 27 Sep 2017 17:45

Thanks Ken. Yeah, I mean librarianing footbag things is one of my favourite things in the world, so it's really fun for me. I still don't know if I've logged all the tricks I've ever hit. Probably not, but I'm not sure what I'm missing. Every now and then I'll think of a concept to add and maybe add a trick here or there... Like surging. I've done bigwalk both sides. Oh I actually started re-reading my whole footblog to catch records and new tricks and that's helped too. But I actually forgot about that until just now. Will have to do some more reading tomorrow at work. Haha.

Oh, the emoticons are just what my phone does when using Modified on the go. Works for me :p

I've only done 2 mobiuses (from both sides I think?) I never even thought to try more... but, it would take a lot of practice I think. At least to work on like zooming out of torque... My torques are really weak. Also need to work on paused osii I guess? My osis in general is really bad. Haha. Though basic zooming drills is part of my regular warm-up.

20x20 session #9
Mostly uneventful. Shin splints are feeling a BIT better, but kept it pretty light. I think half of my 20s were 40s, which I counted as 2 each... so maybe 5-ish 40s? Maybe 6? I dunno. Again nothing really notable. Maybe a handful of neat runs. I'm getting bored of 20x20. Unsure if I will persevere for the whole 20, though that would be neat. I'm not sure if it's benefitting my game at all either.

Cassy wants us to visit London for a session on Sunday. London is 3 hours away each way. Alex is going regardless, and Mike will probably only go if we drive. But I'm the only one that drives, and I'm not sure if the rental cost would be worth it. Moreso 6 hours on the road for maybe 4 hours shred and hangout... I dunno. Really super on the fence. Will look into rental prices tomorrow. But the place I usually rent from by my place is closed on Sundays too, so that kinda adds another layer of "I don't wanna do it." Will see. Derek will be there too, and Zach, so it would probably be super fun. But also I probably won't be able to play my best because of the shin splints... Lots to think about and weigh.

Oh yeah, today's only new tricks were toe-set zulu osis and toe-set weaving osis.
Oh, I did do lots of dynos, 'cause I'm hoping they will help me get better at motions.

Looks like I'm at about 1140 unique tricks (counting both sides) on the list so far. That's a pretty cool number :)

EDIT: Lol, didn't even have blurry and stepping whip on my list... I guess that goes to show how incomplete it really is! Those are like my core moves... Also found some rad compliments from Olaf and Johnny <3

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 29 Sep 2017 05:18

Reading old blog entries I'm learning about tricks that I've hit before that I completely forgot about like:
-spinning dyno BS
-backside spikehammer (assuming I didn't do this flipside :( Thankfully flip stepping ducking is actually good stepping ducking these days, AND good ducking ps mirage)
-pixie ducking symp whip BS
-stepping near symple swirl BS
-tapping diving symp mirage
-some records, like 164 ducking clippers, which is more than the 141 I did on video...
So great to be able to add new stuff to my moves list. I forgot that I've done the same number of spinning whips on both sides.

I'm going to start reposting amazing finds from the old blog!

Calling Manna's mom
Andrew was late, so I tried to call him. A woman answered, and I assumed, oops it's Andrew's mom, answering his cell phone, but no, she had an accent and it was Manna's mom! Manna was right beside me, but I couldn't think of anything to say, so I asked, "Is Manna there?" (Manna started laughing in the background, not knowing what was up, but maybe making it sound like a failed prank call...), but I guess they have call display, so she was, like, "Is this Erik? Isn't Manna with you?" And I was, like, "Yeah, he is." And then we were like, "Okay, bye".
It was the most awkward thing in the world. Then I tried to call Andrew again, but ended up calling his cell and made a mess again thinking his dad was him, and all this rubbish.
So, to sum up, this is how the conversation went:
"Hi is Manna there?" "No, isn't he with you?" "Yeah, he is." "Thanks. Bye."

Chinese food memories
I also found the dish numbers that Mike and I used to order regularly at a Chinese place about a decade ago. We were recently talking about this and wished we knew what we used to order. Now we are going to revisit after a session soon 8)
"Chinese food, of which we always order #78, #65, and for me #163 + 111B"

Okay, up to page 40 of the footblog. Will continue more later.
Last edited by Muffinman on 29 Sep 2017 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 29 Sep 2017 06:55

This is super noteable. I was always confused about when I actually started freestyle. I know it was after seeing She's All That, which hit theatres in 1999, but for some reason I always thought that I started in 1997, and those dates conflicted with each other. But here I say that I hit 2 mirages in 1998. So 1997 seems likely again... I don't know. Maybe I got the date wrong and this trip was actually 1999? Urgh. I wish there was a way to tell for sure...
Muffinman wrote:Some random hacky facts about me:
â–ºI first saw freestyle by Chad in "She's All That" in theatres
â–ºWhen I was called by Joel to come to my very first Hackrifice jam I didn't know what "Around the World" was
â–ºPossibly my first footbag video to watch was Ryan's Worlds '97 routine (I would love to do a routine to SEXXY!)
â–ºMy first 5 add trick was ducking PS mirage
â–ºMy first 4 add trick was ducking butterfly
â–ºMy first 6 add trick was probably mullet
â–ºMy first 7 add trick was reverse montage rake (lame)
â–ºBack when I was tiltless I didn't understand the difference between reverse whirl and butterfly and did butterflies thinking they were reverse whirls
â–ºI invented terraging mirage and named it "entre" (back in like 2002-ish)
â–ºI named Blubberman
â–ºI named wonton
â–ºI think I was the first to duck quantum (2001/2-ish?)
â–ºI've only been to about 9 tournaments outside of Hackrifice (most of which were really small: Regina (my first non-Hackrifice tournament, Mark Leeman and I were the only freestylers other than Mike Wiwchar, the host), Shred Zero, Calgary (4 years inna row), CSS4, ShrEdmonton '07, Worlds '07, and Worlds '08. I'm pretty sure that's all)
â–ºI was part of a 10-20-some community forum years before Modified back when the main form of communication was the .org mailing list (a forum that evolved into Modified)
â–ºI started as a toe shuffle player and only learned spinning both sides well and lots of ducking after I took my first half-year off due to my first initial injury in 2004 (I was told that Jan Zimmerman also gained his smooth style from injury)
â–ºMy first BAPster to meet was the Enlightener on his way back to Chicago after Worlds '01 in Vancouver
â–ºMy first out-of-town footbaggers to meet (and quite randomly!) were Zeke Ibardaloza and Dan Klokow of the CIC in, like, 1998-ish (I hit mirage twice in a row that day for the first time!) on Navy Pier in Chicago (on a high school band trip)
â–ºI've only played footbag in about 2 pairs of shoes since I started footbag 10-ish years ago (I say 2-ish 'cause I only got my red Lavers just after I was initially injured, and once I started really playing again I soon after bought Climas)
â–ºI can't regular swirl (though I had one random session where I hit stuff like, riptide both sides, far swirls both sides, blurry reverse whirling swirl, reverse whirling swirl both sides, etc)
â–ºI've only ever done 4 fearless (blurry whirl > blurry whirl > PS whirl > PS whirl (It's a lot harder with reverse whirls...))
â–ºI've only ever done 2 beastly. My first combo was whirlygig > mullet (dropped on the other mullet) many years ago. I think the only other combo was probably blurry reverse mullet > reverse montage (dropped on spinning ducking DLO...)
â–ºI only got good at DLOs 'cause, I think at Shred Zero '03 I had a run with lots of them (in the Calgary airport) and I think, actually, Brian Johnson mentioned something about it. From then on I did lots of DLOs.
â–ºOne of my favourite players, Eli Piltz, came down from Montreal to jam with me on my birthday in Toronto back in 2004-ish and gave me a Flipsider shirt as a present :)
â–ºI've met Ricky Moran (one of my other favourites), but only when he was tiltless, at CSS4 in 2003/4.
â–ºI've never met James Risden. The one year I was finally about to, Derek and I had planned to Greyhound down to Minneapolis where he was meeting with and jamming with the Cloud9 crew (Juan, Bijan, Cole, etc) and some CIC (Eric and Tim?). It was my dream. The only Greyhound to get there and back with enough time for us to not miss school (or whatever we were doing at the time) would have only given us 12 hours total in Minneapolis. I had also just applied to work at the local comic shop, which at the time was kind of my dream job (I like comics). The owner was interested in me (after answering a lot of comic trivia in my interview and telling him who my favourite artists are :D) and asked if I could start on a certain day... the day that we were supposed to meet James. I had to turn down my dream job (conflict of dreams!!) and it turned out that the Greyhound was canceled and we weren't about to go anyway!
â–ºI remember when coloured Lavers first came out. Rob Fuller came and stayed in Winnipeg for a week and we both stayed at Derek's house and played footbag all the time. He had just come up North from visiting his dad in Colorado and Freedom (at the time "Revolution Footbags"?), or rather The Boulder Blades, had the first coloured Lavers of any footbaggers (was what I heard). I think it was red, blue, and maybe black? No, grey I think. Maybe grey and black.
â–ºI've made, like, close to 300 footbag videos.
â–ºI have a lot of footbag videos (80 gigs-ish from the internet, 30-ish VHS tapes, and 10-ish DVDs)
â–ºI have "lots" of footbags (not compared to lots of people though) -- like 100-ish
â–ºI basically quit stitching because of unbearable wrist and finger pain :( I've only made, like, 60-something, I think.
â–ºI'm riddled with injury: torn hip flexor (or something (my first major injury which I thought was a pulled groin (and got made fun of a lot resultantly (from PS whirls and flip atomic -- I can't really do drifters, atomic, nuclear, ducking/spinning DLOs because of this))); petallo femoral syndrome (an imbalance in my quad muscles which pulls my kneecap outward and grinds away when I bend my leg (hence the knee braces)); shin splints (like you wouldn't believe! I've had them before, but this is my main injury right now which prevents me from playing/playing hard)
â–ºI have a run in Just Shred 2: Like Whoa :oops:
â–ºUntil a week ago-ish, I'd never hit a 7 add.
â–ºI've never hit a quad dex (though, actually maybe sailing same DLO? Maybe not...) I guess no regular swirls and no double dex sets make it difficult... maybe I could try sailing same DLO or double down just to say I've done one :P

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 29 Sep 2017 09:44

Gonna have to bust out my Just Shred 2 VHS and check it out.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 30 Sep 2017 13:50

This is great Erik! I think it would be great if there was a feature that would allow a person to download all of their posts from here...I want to start re-reading posts too!
TJ Boutorwick

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 01 Oct 2017 17:51

Tripp wrote:
29 Sep 2017 09:44
Gonna have to bust out my Just Shred 2 VHS and check it out.
I'll do you one better (start at 16:14 min):

Yeah, it's been fun going back to read things!

20x20 session #10 today:
New tricks:
-stepping blender BS (it's possible I've hit it before?)
-flip toe near nova

I wanted flip blazing drifter, since it's my non-painful drifter, but I think I'll have to get my flip blazing better first. Blaze doesn't require a very high set at all...
I had a run that opened with rev hatchet > rev tomahawk [repeat]. Also kept missing spinning whip > gyro whip [repeat], but didn't give it too many tries. Hmm what else. A run with blingblang and blazing clipper both BSOS. Footed 4 blurriests a few times. One attempt was super deep on them all. I stopped trying because of my shins, but I can do at least 4. I've only ever done 3. Though I've done Blurriest > blurrier [repeat], which is way harder. I dunno what else. Oh we went for our Chinese after and then bubble tea too. Very nostalgic and super fun. Mike and I talked a bit about art and he told me that it's Inktober, which is something I've never participated in before. Basically a challenge for comic artists for post an ink drawing every day of the month of October. So I'm going to try it. Posted my first one on Facebook after doing the drawing when I got home.

Anyway, shower time and then Game of Thrones in bed.

Oh yeah! I also FB messaged Dan Klokow to ask if I can upload some of his VHS videos and he was super cool with it and wants to see once they're up. I've already uploaded a couple but need to change the privacy settings on them and then link them up. Maybe will do at work tomorrow.