Fanzine

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

OK TPP

Post by C-Fan » 05 Apr 2021 08:23

In typical Denver spring fashion, it feels like we traded snow shovels for sunblock overnight.  March was as snowy as any month I can remember since moving here a decade ago.  Unsurprisingly, that limited my shreds...I think I only played twice all month.  We'll probably get one more snowstorm this month, but already I sense spring is here.  

Landscape with Garden, by Oskar Kokoschka. 

I haven't seen any firm dates for Worlds yet.  That said, here's my rough plan for how I'm going to approach it:

:arrow: April.  Slowly work my way back into shape.  Try to make a concerted effort to stay away from big tricks, and instead shore up my stamina and basics.  Continue to use my old G-Units and bags which are falling apart.
:arrow: May. Switch to my new G-Units to break them in.  Continue to use my old crappy bags as long as possible.  Start drilling Shred30s and maybe even practicing links to feel out what works. 
:arrow: June. New G-Units hopefully feel broken in, switch to my good bags, start filming for early rounds of all events.
:arrow: July. Hopefully made it to later rounds of events, push super hard and leave nothing in the gas tank by the end.

My driveway has proven to be a workable shred space.  It's far from perfect, but it's good enough that I can get a workout and I save a ton of time not having to drive anywhere.  Once I start training in earnest for Worlds though, I'll need to go back to the tennis courts where I won't have to worry about the flatness of the ground or walls if I leave a 6x6 square of space.

boyle wrote:
18 Mar 2021 14:14
Do you find the song choice is different for doing a routine in video as opposed to doing something up on a stage? I've been thinking of routine choice songs of lately and that's been something that's been on my mind.
It's a fascinating question... I'm not sure I know the answer. Maybe the online judges from last year would know best. I know it felt really different to me last year when I'd film a dropless. It felt like a relief, but none of the exhilaration you get when the crowd gets hyped after an in-person dropless.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

HBD to CF!

Post by C-Fan » 16 Apr 2021 11:55

C-Fan wrote:
05 Apr 2021 08:23
We'll probably get one more snowstorm this month, but already I sense spring is here.  
That hit last night and this morning. Hopefully it's the last one of spring, and we move into footbaggable weather soon.
C-Fan wrote:
05 Apr 2021 08:23
  Continue to use my old G-Units and bags which are falling apart.
Unfortunately, that happened sooner than expected. My last session, a chunk of the sole just popped right off. It was the basketball shaped circle on the ball of the foot, and it just fell off like a pancake. I'm still going to try and stick with my plan, and use old shoes and bags for the next month, break in my newer stuff in late May, and then have everything good and broken in during June and July.

I had 2 sessions of footage edited on my phone, but not uploaded to YT. My phone unfortunately locked and wiped itself (security feature from work) so I ended up losing both vids. Nothing crazy in there, and honestly I'd rather have that happen now and not while I'm actively filming entries for Worlds. Still sucks though... lost a bunch of family photos too.

Haven't been playing much lately because we all got hit with low grade fevers. We went in to get swabbed and were relieved it wasn't strep, covid, or flu. Still kicked our asses, and we're still recovering.

Bit of a bummer of a post, but hopefully things turn around soon.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Fanzine

Post by Tjuggles » 16 Apr 2021 17:25

Hopefully you are right and you start to get some more footbaggish weather. Nothing like being able to kick in the outdoors.

Shitty about the shoes. Do you think you could shoe goo the circular bit back on?

I appreciate the post, even if it isn't 'I finally hit nemesis x3! Here is a perfect video of all of my best tricks ever!'.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

cammel
BSOS Beast

Post by cammel » 17 Apr 2021 19:00

Argh, sorry to hear about the phone, shoes and fever! Hope you all are done recovering!

Really liked the run starting at 1:47. The toe spinning stuff is awesome! Ducking xbd rake > spinning clipper is such a styley link.
Gray Chadwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

April happened?

Post by C-Fan » 28 Apr 2021 13:02

Hard to believe April is almost over already.  Had to check my journal to see if I even got in any shreds this month.  It looks like I played twice, both within the first week of the month. In my defense, there were a lot of variables beyond my control that limited my playing opportunities.  It was a very snowy month, plus we had some health issues hit the house.  Thankfully nothing serious.

I saw in Dan's blog that Worlds is probably going to happen about a month later than it did last year.  That makes me feel a bit less bad for essentially taking off all of April.  Hopefully I can knock off some rust this month and start getting into game shape right as competition begins.  On one hand I'm glad I have no pressure on me, as I did well at last year's Worlds.  On the other hand, a little pressure might help motivate me.  Maybe once I start training the fire will be lit again, but at this very moment I'm feeling a surprising lack of passion about competing.  I'm sure it'll come back.

The other thing that differentiates this year's Worlds with last year, is that last year I felt I could (and should) focus all my energies on it.  This year is a bit different, as my current passion is my gaming YT channel.  It's still tiny, but I've had a really good time creating content and growing a small community.  That community is used to me uploading 2-3 times a week, a pace that will be hard to maintain over the summer if I'm really taking Worlds seriously.  If I'm smart, I will film and edit a bunch of gaming videos now and stockpile them so I can release them during my heavy training weeks.  We'll see if I'm able to pull that off.

Here's an old clip from 5 years ago: 

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 01 May 2021 20:33

I think you did well and I am a big fan of you Regamey. Even though you were very OLD when you found footbag.