A Master with a Riceball

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: A Master with a Riceball

Post by boyle » 26 Sep 2021 12:42

Yes, I had a zine running for a while with interviews etc with bands. I always think about doing a new one but haven't quite got the motivation to go through. Glad you are doing some kicking. What are lockdowns etc like in Denmark at the moment?

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 27 Sep 2021 03:23

Where is the top post painting?

Everything is back to normal. We still have the occasional school close down since the kids aren't vaccinated.
But 85% of the population above the age of 15 is completely vaccinated and everything is open again etc.
The economy is also booming, so it honestly feels like corona never happened.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 04 Oct 2021 01:00

I played footbag again: https://modified.in/asmus/2021/10/04/baby-steps/ (There is even some footage in there)
I also updated the blog / newsletter with what I've been up to creatively in the past few months: https://asmushelms.substack.com

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 03 May 2022 07:34

That's all 8) :footbag:

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 May 2022 22:52

Nice one. It will be interesting to see what kind of turnout this year gets, I'm sure people are hanging out to go to a real life event.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 23 Jun 2022 00:28

It's been a wild ride lately.

I have been getting my drinking and so on under control, meditating, and all kinds of self-improvement going on. In the middle of all of this, my best friend for close to 20 years passed away from a drug overdose. It's been rough. But good timing with me being on this self-care journey and having an awesome girlfriend. I don't know how pretty it would have been if that wasn't the case.

Here is a picture of my friend Gordi from a footbag session in 2005 probably.

We had a pretty epic session yesterday. Outside and great turnout. Love these guys.

Starting to get stoked for Worlds. Hope to see some of you there!!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 05 Jul 2022 03:15

Went to Prague this weekend with my girlfriend for a little getaway.

Met Vasek randomly on the streets and had a couple of beers with him.

You really do travel to see how big and small the world is all at once.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Jul 2022 20:41

"Funny who you run into". That would have been fun.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 18 Sep 2022 12:25

Quantum Review
(after one hour of playing)

- Look and feel
Honestly, I don't think they look too good. They look a little cheap, and the design makes you think of bowling shoes. However, they do look a lot better than an old pair of beat-up modded shoes. They also don’t have that lux feeling that a pair of Nike SB Adversary for example has. They are however super light, which is great!

- Size
When ordering the Quantums I went down half a size from my Rod Lavers and this is a game changer for me. My Lavers have always been a little too big and the Quantums fit me very snugly. Tight but not too tight. I don’t know if this actually says anything about the shoe, but they do feel a lot better to play in because of this.

- Mods
No modding needed is the main feature of the Quantums and they do live it up to this fully. I haven’t even changed the standard lacing. This might take a little getting used to, but I do think it will only make my style better.

- Sole and innersole
I am not an innersole snob and usually just go with what is in my shoes, but these might need changing. I also feel very flat on my feet, when standing normally and this could be fixed with a different insole. The bottom sole feels a little stiff at first, but I think it’s fine. Nis found it very slippery when we played indoors yesterday, but I felt it was like playing in my Lavers. Will they get more slippery over time? Probably, but all shoes do.

- Overall
I love these! A bit bummed that I can’t wear them on a date night, but they play great and I can’t wait to kick in them again.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Sep 2022 15:01

Looking forward to getting mine, eventually. How is the feel of them - the old Qs felt like they would break apart at any moment - these ones look a bit more resilient.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 04 Oct 2022 08:16

They feel a little cheap, which is too expected. But so far they last well.

Been playing once a week lately and having boxing training with a personal trainer / friend every week as well.
Maybe I will actually have some highlights to post here soon.

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 04 Oct 2022 17:58

😍😍😍
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 22 Jan 2023 00:49

I guess it's time for those highlights and some life updates.

Boxing training stopped since we both got too busy, but I have been good at playing footbag every week.

Last Thursday for example I played with Nis, Frede and Jasper. Great session.
Here are some highlights:
Double Over Down > Blink
Terrage > Terrage > some bails > DATW > (PLO > Dimwalk > Blurry Legover rpt)
Gyro Clipper back to back to a run with both Spinning Clippers and both Ducking Clippers
A decently long run with Dimwalk bsos and Parkwalk bsos

The big news from me is that yesterday I popped the question. She said yes. And I am stoked.

We are also planning a trip to New York during Easter. I don't plan on bringing my shred gear, but I hope to find time to hang out with some footbaggers. Looking forward to that.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Jan 2023 23:46

They seem to have a good regular kick in New York with the NYFA crew, it would be cool even just to hang out. Congrats on the engagement. Those Quantum shoes look good on you, all black shoes are good.

You look like you are in pretty good shape.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 28 Jul 2023 01:03

Played with Frede yesterday. We both played pretty well. We ended the session by doing four 1 minute routines back to back. So 1 minute break where the other player did a routine and then I did a routine. We did four each. Pretty good cardio practice and I think we will continue doing this in the future.

Here is a little video. Can't get the embed to work, maybe because it's a reel.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvNgAEDNnMO/

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Jul 2023 03:05

Seems Instagram embedding is not working anywhere, or they've made some changes to how it works (not only for reels, but everything). Doesn't seem a sensible move to me. Maybe they got sued for some kind of copyright issue.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 31 Jul 2023 06:44

Oh, I don't know how I missed your proposal post! Congratulations! That's so huge! She's so pretty! We are also going to New York soon. Any suggestions for things you saw? I've only been once before but my wife's never been. I think she's literally booking tickets as I write this, though we'll only be there for like 1.5 days.

That's also awesome that you were playing footbag every week! Have you been able to keep that up? The clip you just posted looks great! It looks like the best footbag shape I've ever seen you in? Great form! Especially that pixie near clipper -- so styley!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 31 Jul 2023 23:30

New York was amazing. Can't believe I didn't write about it here. Had some beers with Matt Cross and that was fun. Also wanted to meet up with Mr. Boats but got caught up in the whirlwind.

Recommendations
- Comics: Desert Island is probably my new favourite comic book in the world. The sortiment is more catered to my taste, than yours but they are very sweet and I really like the vibes. The used book store next door is also worth a visit, everything is about homosexuality, cats or satanism.
- Books: Strand Bookstore is huge. I think you will like it.

Food
You get two - at each end of the price spectrum:
- Guacuco in Brooklyn is a family-run Venezuelan eatery serves arepas, empanadas & exotic juices in a no-frills setting and cheapish.
- Momofuko Ssam Bar at the Pier. Run by celebrity chef David Chang (I know he hates that title). The spicy rice cakes is one of the best dishes I have ever had. Not Michelin in Copenhagen expensive, but not cheap either.

We went to a bunch of museums and also saw a Knicks game, which was a great experience. We also walked a lot. Do that.

Let me know, what you wanna do, and I can tell you if we did something similar.

I wanna go again now!

Footbag:

I think I am averaging every other week at the moment. Summer coordinating is hard and I haven't played alone.I think I am in the best footbag shape or at least since I was 20 probably. I also really like the new Quantum, some of that is also going half a size down, so now the shoes actually fit me.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 05 Aug 2023 14:36

Oooh. Yeah, I was kiiinda thinking of checking out Midtown Comics, because I heard it's the biggest? But I'll keep Desert Island AND Strand Bookstore in mind too. But honestly we probably won't have time for comics unless it happens to be where we're sight-seeing. Such a short trip! I did visit a super awesome shop in Copenhagen when I visited --I really liked it. Amazing art book selection and that's where I found the only Funko Pop figures I ever cared to collect -- Disney's Gargoyles! So sick!

I also thought it would be great to see Matt, but again, super short trip focused more on my wife's first time, since I've been once before. Oh, there's actually a Momofuku not too far from me in Toronto that I've been to. I ate at the ramen part, but it also had a milk bar, and a couple other types of restaurants inside of it (3 restaurants total?) Also a walk-in fridge cookie shop? Rice cakes (tteokbokki) is my wife's favourite food, and one of mine too (all of our favourite foods are glutinous in nature lol)!! Does Copenhagen have a lot of Michelin star restaurants? Have you been to many? Canada ONLY just go our first like 2 years ago or something? And only in our city. We've only tried a bunch of bib gourmand places so far -- no actual starred places yet. But we mean to!

How long was your trip to NYC? Museums and Knicks game also sound good, but we will probably have to limit to a single museum.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 06 Aug 2023 06:32

Muffinman wrote:
05 Aug 2023 14:36
I did visit a super awesome shop in Copenhagen when I visited --I really liked it. Amazing art book selection and that's where I found the only Funko Pop figures I ever cared to collect -- Disney's Gargoyles! So sick!
Can you remember the name? Maybe Fantask or Faraos? That's the best two in my opinion.
Muffinman wrote:
Does Copenhagen have a lot of Michelin star restaurants? Have you been to many?
It does. And probably the best restaurant in the world for the past couple of decades. It's called NOMA short for NORDISK MAD (nordic food). Never been. I have only been two a couple. I went to Alchemist, when I was working for this billionaire. That was crazy.
They are all insanely expensive. Since Copenhagen is already expensive.

Glutinous food is the best food.
Muffinman wrote:
How long was your trip to NYC? Museums and Knicks game also sound good, but we will probably have to limit to a single museum.
We were there for a week. I would love to go back as soon as possible.

We had a little session to celebrate Nis' medal at Worlds on Friday.

Lately I have been painting a lot. You can see them all on my Instagram.
But here is a sneak preview for you of one I just finished: