mc

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 28 Apr 2011 10:08

Mark, thanks dude!

Chris, I am writing their e-newsletters... My first assignment - briefly interview Elvis Costello 8O If I do well at first, I can take on more responsibilities within the marketing department. Wish me luck!

Nick, I'm looking forward to seeing you guys too. I think Ben Cooke is going to drive up with me. The 63 contact run had legovers, mirages, illusions, etc, but was mostly 3's and up. My goal with footbag is what it should have been 10 years ago - play smooth, use good style, hit everything clean, stay in control, and make it look nice. My session goal, aside from a few new moves here and there, is to beat my last session's contact count.

See you all in Montreal!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 28 Apr 2011 22:17

Matt! I didn't know you had a blog. Awesome! Thanks for everything you did to help me with PA Jam. Looking forward to coming to shred with NYFA this summer. Keep at it dude, I'll be reading this blog more often now that I know it exists :P
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 29 Apr 2011 02:05

wow... just read the first 7 pages of this blog or so... came to some interesting realizations...

1. I miss Tom Mosher and Peng Peng Du a lot.

2. I used to be able to hit harder combos than I can hit now (but I could get them back within a few sessions).

3. David Clavens used to look up to me (and I used to call him "Dave").

4. Footbag rules, and I have had a lot of fun playing it.

I lost my notebook tonight, and, if it weren't for a few e-mail addresses I took down after playing earlier, I'd say, "good riddance".
BRICK!

nyfa

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 29 Apr 2011 05:32

Miss you so bad too man! When can we collide again?

It was awesome reading that stuff again and being mentally whisked back to all the fun.

Hugs!
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 29 Apr 2011 14:49

briefly interview Elvis Costello
You should ask him how it feels to be part of the transformation period from the beatles to the backstreet boys. :roll:

But seriously, thats awesome! Judging by your past interviews with footbaggers I know you'll do great.

Also thanks for putting up with my silly guitar questions at PA Jam. You're a huge inspiration to me. I hope you dont mind if I ask you more dumb questions....
Doug Tank

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 29 Apr 2011 16:39

Hey Doug! I'll definitely include that question about BB in the interview ;)

Ask as many questions as you like about guitar. I love to help people learn about stuff I know about!
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 01 May 2011 18:43

Session at McCarren Park today with Ben, Drew, Bruce, and Dave. Fun was had by all. I had a flying soccer ball miss the side of my face by about 2 inches. Weather was a bit blustery, but not bad overall. Good temperature.

I beat my contact count from last session - some of the higher numbers I hit were 59, 61, 63, and 66, but my best was 72. I like this new goal. Contacts rule. The other guys hit some longer strings, too.

I also hit a new move - spinning ducking symp swirling osis. Only took two tries. 8 adds of gravy.

I'd guess that it's been hit before, but if it hasn't, I want to call it Collage.

I had a great time today. I'm glad to have footbag during a somewhat stressful, moneyless time in my life. Please order footbags from me ;) speaking of that, if you have ordered a bag from me recently, it will be mailed tomorrow.

I'm entirely caught up on orders!

I'm looking forward to the Montreal jam in a few weeks. Hope you all can make it. I just wish I had some nicer clothes for my friend's wedding.
BRICK!

nyfa

Ohios1
Multidex Master

Post by Ohios1 » 02 May 2011 18:25

yo, congrats on the 8add, very nice. As soon as i get my footbags in, ill be more than happy to order more.i always need them and plus it was pretty nice meeting you and shredding with you. P.S. make you one of the balls says I love you. lol
angeski

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 02 May 2011 18:46

dude spinning ducking symp swirling osis is fresh as shit. Props for sure.

Yo my sister is probably going to Vibes, if i gave her some bills could you make it so I can have a new MC bag?

Hope to chill this summer man peace
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 May 2011 03:32

Sweet trick! I only count 7 adds though?..
I read a whole bunch of the beginning of my blog too after reading your post. So many memories. Also I saw on Facebook, like, a day or so before I saw your post happenstancely that PengPeng's name is now Patricia Mak or something. What a change. My blog also opens with some Mosher action in the first few pages.

Video soon??

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 03 May 2011 04:25

I could use an MC bag. How should I place an order?
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 03 May 2011 07:50

Mike: I'm gonna walk over the post office right now and mail your bags. Sorry for the wait! It was great playing with you too. If you check the "Bags I've Made" thread, there is a picture of me holding 5 bags at once. The one in the back that says "MC<3U" is for you, as is the one next to it. Thanks for waiting.

Kevin: Ya, you could send your sister with cash, or you could mail me, or paypal me, or have one of your BSC bros paypal me. I'll PM you now to discuss. I hope we can play this summer as well! Hopefully I can make it to beantown or you can make it out here. I'm glad you're healing.

Erik: Thanks - it felt really solid when I hit it. The guys liked it. I was counting PDX on the far symp swirling osis. I know that a far swirl or a far symple swirl on it's own doesn't warrant a PDX add, but a swirling dex that ends back on the ground and doesn't catch the bag seems like a totally full dex to me, just as much as whirl does.

A video could be cool - I'm starting to get in gear after the last few sessions...

Roy - I'll PM you and we'll work something out!
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 10 May 2011 14:33

Played in Washington Square Park today. I was feeling kind of sick, so I took a break from my "beat last session's longest string" goal, although I think I got one in the mid-60s. Ben Cooke came out for his 3rd consecutive day of footbag, and he was shredding hard with big moves midstring. Nick Charles (TokenHippie) came out for his first session with others, and he hit his first clean mirages both sides, some clippers, around the world both sides, and we talked about kicking and shoe mods. He's got a lot of potential! We have two months with him before he ships off to the navy, so that should be plenty of time to get some fundamentals down.

To work, to work. Buy bags from me.
BRICK!

nyfa

TokenHippie
Hack Fiend

Post by TokenHippie » 10 May 2011 14:58

That session was incredible!!! Just the beginning of more great times at Washington Square :) Cant wait till next session, until then practice makes perfect
Why circle jerk when you can circle kick??

(Nick Charles)

NYFA in the building baby
F.O.B.- Footbag over bitches

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 28 Jun 2011 17:35

Just had my first solo session in a while. Drilled for a half hour on my roof, things like infinity > sidewalk > sidewalk repeat, and infinity > swirl repeat. Ducks, dives, and spins as well, just to get the muscles moving. I felt pretty good. I filmed for another 30 minutes after that, but I only got 2 runs even marginally worth looking at, and a few close shots at nemesis, so I'm not going to bother uploading, unfortunately.

The body felt pretty good, form felt nice too, but I decided to stop the minute my back felt a little twinge, because I've been battling a lower back issue for a few years now, and I'm finally starting to get through sessions without it being a real issue, so I don't want to invite disaster by pushing through it.

A few people from my building chilled out and watched, and I got a lot of positivity from them - basically, all the things any footbagger wants to hear, like "I saw you holding a hacky sack, and thought it was stupid, but once I saw you use it, I was blown away", and, when someone asked how I would rank from 1 to 10 as a footbagger, and I said that I'm a solid 6 or 7, she didn't believe it.

I used a brand new bag that I made, and it played great. It's nice to know that I can make a bag that plays well right off the needle.

In other news, I'm working on product development for a new kicking toy, and getting some decent money from the company. We're meeting this weekend to kick and discuss what comes next in terms of a commercial that I'll be making with Ben Cooke, and how I can best represent their product at upcoming events like Gathering of the Vibes.

Life is good right now.
BRICK!

nyfa

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 29 Jun 2011 10:41

Hey man congrats on the product development gig. I can't wait to see the commercial. I also feel ya on the lower back issue. It's the reason I only play a few times a week now. Let me know if you ever find a secret stretch or something that makes it feel better.
Doug Tank

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 29 Jun 2011 10:53

Thanks Doug - we're meeting on Sunday to discuss further plans.

I decided to upload those two runs from yesterday. Here's a short 1 minute video of a little bit of hacky sack.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p80uRq3qtz0[/youtube]

Speaking of short videos, everyone should visit Chris Dean's facebook page and check out his most recent video. He hit 10 fearless for the first time the other day, and captured it on film. There's a few more sweet runs in that video, too. Must-see!

Something I forgot to include in my last blog post...

This past weekend, the illustrious TOM MOSHER visited NYC! He was in town for a bike film festival, and I had the good fortune to link up with him on Friday afternoon for some beers and a little rooftop kickysack. We both had non-Laver shoes on, and pants (Tom's were cut off) and we had what I must say is the most fun kick session I've had that I can remember... Long rallies, fun catches, and we both hit PS whirl both sides! Tom doesn't even kick more than a few times a year any more! Awesome! I also hit Mullet BS, and footed Montage on one side.

He crashed at my place later that night, and we had a beer in the hot tub. The next day, we had breakfast, and mine was so big that I went back to sleep and missed the footbag session, to some chagrin from my club members (apparently). We met up for the pre-film jam in Manhattan, and I played a little guitar that may or may not make it on to the video of the bike jam.

I have a date later! Also, I am dog-sitting. Dog-attending is more like it - I have to stop by my friend's place a few times a day to take care of business.

And that's the news...
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Re: mcnyc

Post by mc » 23 Jul 2019 22:24

how long, o lord, how long?

what horrors and delights we've seen. what masks we've worn, how many people have we been?

What?

Hey guys, Matt here. Just getting back into hacky sack. Daniel Boyle suggested that I do what I'm doing right now.

I've been spinning myself a yarn about getting back into footbag for a few years now, and that seems to have come to a head. I discovered a pair of Adidas climacool 1 while trolling for Pendleton shirts in a vintage clothing shop about a year ago. I showed up to a NYFA session with no footbag shoes a few months after that with full intent to hit Big Apple Sauce barefoot after years of not playing footbag while simultaneously thwarting my body's every attempt to exist in a reasonable and healthy manner.

Big Apple Sauce was not hit that day.

I may get it some day. I'm not ruling it out.

It's a blender and a symposium swirl at the same time, with a spin beforehand.

I refuse to rule that out.

But enough about Big Apple Sauce.

USO is coming up. I'll be meeting some of you for the first time. I'll be seeing others for the first time in years. I'm trying to get Will Digges to come.

To those who've been clicking that like button and supporting me while I take another crack at kicky sack, thank you. Looking forward to what we come up with together.
BRICK!

nyfa

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 23 Jul 2019 23:40

Welcome back Matt!

Been fun following you on the zuckbook, looking forward to reading more here.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 24 Jul 2019 00:46

Matt! Yay! Welcome back! I haven't been following you on FB since I don't use it. HOWEVER, I will definitely follow you here. Holy moly what good news it is to see you here. "See" you here.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson