Janis's blog - (un)retired from footbag

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 28 Mar 2008 23:57

I decided to have a session today.

started off so shit, played so badly for 45mins, like dropping toe stalls and clippers, uugh. Flip pixie stated off terrible, like at 2005 level of bad :(

so I manged to hit pixie ss eggbeater and everything changed, felt more positive. Hit the other pixie ss egg a few attempts later.

then I had an idea :idea:
Did a few toe blurs,

then did a head high quantum set :idea:

did another head high quantum set then ........m-m-m-monster eggbeater!!!

quantum eggbeater
felt really good to hit it at last. It was a dream move for ages, ever since I saw it on one of those telocvicna videos way back.

took ages, but I managed to hit quantum DLO as well.

so what started off as the shitest session in ages ended up being kinda good. Still on a high from hitting quantum eggbeater, :D

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 29 Mar 2008 03:00

I need to post a video of my flipside clipper set spinning, I'm obviously doing something very wrong whenever I go for a merkon on that side.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 30 Mar 2008 00:16

had a session, spent most of it working on flipside clipper set spinning.
Hit merkon bsos, woot!

I guess something slightly positive about having shitty crank, I just can't slur my spins, if I carry the bag too long I just drop.

also swirl>infinity rpt and swirl > ripwalk on the other side.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 30 Mar 2008 20:59

Club kick at uni today, first monday kick with less than 40 degree heat. Epic monster 10 hacks in 5 person circle, just pure epicness. Much better weather to play now, good to see more people having a go.

Also on request: merkon>clipper>rpt in my jeans. with shitty shoes, first try.

:D

oh and my flip pixie returned, don't know what happened there...

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 31 Mar 2008 09:01

props on quantum egg and quantum dlo!
Those are AWESOME moves!

Have you ducked quantum yet?
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 31 Mar 2008 17:53

I've ducked a few quantum sets (maybe like 5) but so far I haven't hit anything out of it.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 01 Apr 2008 02:36

Siiick Janis!
I feel a new video is due.

8)

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 01 Apr 2008 15:33

I'll try to make a video sometime soon, but first I need to release aussie nationals routines. (also my game is kinda crappy atm, I'm just coming off a knee injury)

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 03 Apr 2008 01:54

First good shred in a while :D

kicked with Leon, he was on fire, easily the best I have ever seen him play. He was hitting ducking pickups bs, ducking mirages midrun, and also hit a perfect weaving butterfly (and I do mean perfect). Also he was hitting moves other than toe stall out of osis.

I think my knee is going a bit better now. Dlo's were good today, hit a great toe set ducking DLO. Also did a lot of strongside blurry eggs. Inside set symp dlo was a spur of the moment kind of new move. Also I was challenged to hit inside set fairy op mirage, took me about 15 attempts to hit.
also some more merkons midrun and spinning pickup for the first time.

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 03 Apr 2008 04:23

Glad your knee was feeling right

Ducking DLO is one of my favorite tricks to see. I duck well, and I DLO well, but I've never hit the trick. Any pointers from your experience?
Bob R.

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 08 Apr 2008 10:02

Hey Janis,
I read in Dan Ednie's blog that you took 3rd in Australian nationals this year. That's an awesome highlight, congrats!

Also muchos props on toe fog/bed, those are huge. Do you still shred barefoot? Cody hit toe fog out of nowhere last week.

Would love to see a new video of you and Leon. It sounds like both of you have been progressing quite a bit.

Ben

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 08 Apr 2008 16:32

I'm really busy with study, but I'd love to oblige and make a vid for everyone :D

There are a few new players around these days and also Andrew has made a bit of a return to footbag, definitely watch out for him, he is an up and comer.

and yeah Cody is just the sort of player to randomly hit toe fog.

re: barefoot
I play barefoot about %40 of the time, the only times I've hit quantum egg both sides has been barefoot. Though I have hit the clipper versions in shoes a number of times, I think the stepping version is easier though.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 12 Apr 2008 03:43

succumbed to temptation and ordered a pair of camo G-Units. The %50 off was way too tempting. My crank needs all the help it can get :P

Kljopa
Post Master General

Post by Kljopa » 12 Apr 2008 04:50

Ramil would be very interested in that 50% discount where from did you order them?

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 12 Apr 2008 05:45

I got them here: http://www.sneakerhead.com/10-151125.html

there are also some cheap ones here: http://www.secretsneakeronline.com/item ... d=10254917

all the sizes are available here, but they are a bit expensive: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7153571/c/59694.html

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 17 Apr 2008 21:37

G-units arrived today, they fit, phew

Really liking them so far :D

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 19 Apr 2008 02:54

Had a short session in Lavers today,
did a bunch of swirls, hit swirl > pdx mirage bsos

also barefoot
atomsmasher > plo > plo > atomsmasher
I'm not sure if I had hit flipside atomsmasher before today, in any case it was the first time bsos. My atomics are a lot worse than my quantums, something I definitely need to work on.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 21 Apr 2008 01:18

My knee is still in trouble. I'm starting to think that it will need a significant amount of time off footbag to recover. I've definitely lost a lot of the passion I once had for footbag, I only circle kick for about an hour or 2 a week these days, and I don't really shred at home. I'm just time poor these days, I love my course, but I have to spend at least 4hours a day studying during weekdays and longer on weekends. On top of that I've got into juggling a bit.

It was really weird, in the last few serious shred sessions that I had, I found that my game was different to how it used to be, I was struggling with stuff I found really solid in the old days, like I couldn't hit some of the pixie drills I used to do and stuff like flipside DLO had just dissapered. But while almost every aspect of my game got a whole lot worse, a few concepts like whirl, swirl and symp whirl got a whole lot better, weird. Losing my toe game I think was the most demoralising thing by far though.

So when/if I return to playing seriously again I'm going to go about re-learning everything. I need more solid fundamentals, even though my basics were getting a lot better I still felt as though they weren't as consistent as I would have liked. I plan to be able to consistently do 50 consecutive of all the basic 2 adds before moving on to anything else.

Before I return to serious shred at home I want to get a bit stronger knee muscles and just get my general fitness back up again, up until then though I need to take a break. I'll still be around in the community, but I'm playing less these days.

wow that turned into a longer post than I expected. props if you managed to read though all that.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 29 Apr 2008 04:46

found out just what had happened injury wise. Apparently I had an injury with my right vastus medialias but also an injury with the knee cap. The vastus medialias injury was very painful and actually "hid" the other injury. Also I had partially torn a muscle in my left quad ages ago and that was still limiting flexibility. Apparently the injuries in the right leg were caused by the squatting motion of doing clippers. Oh well, the time I have taken off has definitely helped the healing process but it looks like clipper game might have to take a permanent back seat. I guess I just don't have the body type for clippers, perhaps I'll do the Lynton style bluetack on the shoes to help out my knees, undecided on that one though.

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 29 Apr 2008 05:34

Hey man, really bummed to hear about your injuries and resulting decreased passion for playing. Get healthy and see where it takes you.

On a brighter note, I'm happy to hear that you're really enjoying your studies.. I think too many people take courses just to take them, rather than really enjoying it. Props to you
Bob R.