Butler

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Muffinman
the gimp

Re: Butler

Post by Muffinman » 06 Sep 2018 05:04

It's fun to hear about the combos and challenges you're hitting. I feel like we're kind of close to the same level.
Was the torque drill toe far torque > gyro DLO repeat? I got confused by the "Clip near" because that doesn't switch sides. Also, agreed that zooming out of torque is so hard!

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 07 Sep 2018 11:01

Muffinman wrote:
06 Sep 2018 05:04
It's fun to hear about the combos and challenges you're hitting. I feel like we're kind of close to the same level.
Was the torque drill toe far torque > gyro DLO repeat? I got confused by the "Clip near" because that doesn't switch sides. Also, agreed that zooming out of torque is so hard!
Haha! I must've been drinking when I posted that. I had to go back and edit a couple grammatical errors. I think I may have been infusing two challenges that he gave me. The other one that I didn't fully mention was Gyro DLO > Slapdown (Quantum ss Butterfly) rpt.

I upped the Torque > Gyro DLO challenge on my next session I hit Paradox Torque > Gyro DLO (only on strong side). Hoping to get flipside soon.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Josh Gayhart ... keeping footbag tuff since 2002.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 20 Sep 2018 00:27

Gyro DLO > Slapdown (Quantum ss Butterfly) rpt. is one sexy drill!

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 30 Sep 2018 13:36

Stole an idea from Erik's blog and hit Swivel bsos today. Of course it was something like (flip) Swivel > Osis > Butterfly > Swivel (finished with a super lengthy and depthy run). I've just recently started working on my flip Swivel, so it felt pretty good. b2b soon to come.

Halfway through my session, I realized that I don't think I've EVER stepped out of PS Whirl. So I tried my strong side and I hit PS Whirl > Blurry Whirl fairly easily. Buuuuuuttt, my flipside is miserable. It's like my planting foot sticks to the ground after the whirl and doesn't want to move. After awhile, I was able to get a few sloppy steps out of it. I took a break and at the end of my session, I gave it a few more tries. Was able to get a couple clean Ripwalks out of it.

Another highlight from today was Swivel > a really ugly Mobius first try.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 01 Oct 2018 04:41

Sweet!
I'll need to try more swivels now!
Loved the fury BSOS clip btw!

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 01 Oct 2018 04:50

Thank you! That was so relieving. I couldn't tell you how many times I had a perfect set and perfect dexes on that second Fury, only to have the bag bounce right off my toe.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 04 Oct 2018 01:44

That's the worst feeling, but there's a certain mentality that you need in footbag, that makes you say - I'm going to give that another go, I'll try it again, it just might work, rather than, this sucks, I quit. Awesome work on the furies!

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 11 Nov 2018 13:33

I always assumed that putting a duck before a double down was wayyy out of my league. I've seen some vids of other players doing them recently, so I decided to give it a go. Hit Ducking Barfly fairly easily. Then footed Leviathan on the 3rd attempt 8). Good feeling, especially because my stepping ducking still isn't that great.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Nov 2018 21:17

A lot of the tricks you're doing already are way harder than that! I'm sure you will hit Leviathan in no time.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 12 Nov 2018 05:13

Would love to hear your trick for spanishfly. I've hit it once each side but I think that's it. Leviathan would be such a rad trick to hit.

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 03 Dec 2018 15:30

Haha. Nothing like making a post and then completely abandoning the forum.

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I did get Leviathan. It's not too difficult for me, which is pleasantly surprising. Erik, just try not to set it too high. I don't think it should be hard for you since you are exceptionally good at Barfly. The hardest part for me is the Stepping Ducking. I'm still pretty inconsistent, even with stuff like Ripped Warrior.

I've been resting up lately. Been having issues with my neck again. :( Not as serious as before, but I don't want to make it worse like it was back in 2012. Very frustrating because I wanted to get as much practice in as I could before NYJ.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 Dec 2018 17:56

I have a set of really good neck stretches that I do semi-regularly. If you're interested I could try to describe them, or find YouTube equivalents... Also thanks for the barfly compliment. I actually did foot leviathan in a couple tries after I saw you and Sergio hit it, but have forgotten to try since. It seems easier than spanishfly in the same way that blurriest is almost more consistent for me than barfly...

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 03 Dec 2018 23:25

For some reason I find stepping ducking to be way easier on some tricks than it's regular ducking version. I think it's because of the way the bag sets, it's maybe more centred (I obviously haven't done too much research on this), but on certain tricks I really get that feeling.

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 09 Dec 2018 15:58

Muffinman wrote:
03 Dec 2018 17:56
I have a set of really good neck stretches that I do semi-regularly. If you're interested I could try to describe them, or find YouTube equivalents... \
Yes! Interested!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Nice links!

Post by C-Fan » 10 Dec 2018 11:01

Props on that swivel-mobius link! Looks super cool in my head.

With "hard" ducking tricks like vertigo and spanishfly, I always remind myself that the key is finishing the duck quickly. So err on the low side with height, force yourself to do the duck a bit faster than normal and *bam* you should have plenty of time to do the final component. If you do the duck slow or normal speed, you're almost never going to clean the next component regardless of the set height. Hope that makes some sense.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 27 Dec 2018 05:34

Oh no, I made a post with all the neck stretches with videos and everything and it disappeared with all the other Modified posts that Ryan noticed are now gone D:

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 Jan 2019 05:49

K let me try this again:

CHICKEN WING:
For this stretch, in addition to tilting your head to the side while looking straight forward, also do the same but looking down at your feet, and then also the same, but looking up at the ceiling. Hold each of these 3 stretches for 10 seconds on each side. So:
-chicken wing, tilt head to the side but look forward
-chicken wing, tilt head to the side but look down
-chicken wing, tilt head to the side but look up

BACKING UP THE CAR:
The only modification to this one is to try to keep your arms straight while doing this. He kind of lets his shoulders/upper body twist too much, but you want to just twist your head and keep your upper body stationary. Oh yeah, also I hold for 20 seconds each side, but I'm turning the whole time so that I'm continually trying to look further and further (without moving my shoulders!):

HEAD ROLLS:
Couldn't really find a video of this one, but it's probably the easiest to explain without it. Stand up straight, with arms at your side, fingers outstretched and pointing down to prevent your shoulders from shrugging. Start with your head tilted to one side, then roll your head down and over so that your head ends up tilted to the other side. Hold for 10 seconds. Then roll back to the other side. Do 3 rolls and holds on each side, rolling slowly so you really feel the stretch all the way across. Remember to keep your arms and fingers stretched downward the whole time.
This video is different, but gives a general idea of what the neck roll is like:

BACKWARD TILT:
I like to end by tilting my head back, arms and fingers still stretched down like the last stretch, but just rolling my head backward for 20 seconds, slowly continually trying to look further and further back behind me like the last stretch, but straight back instead of to the side, raising your chin further and further upward. Hope that makes sense. Also this better not get deleted again. May send to you on FB as a backup just in case.

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 07 Aug 2019 18:30

I haven't played much since Jamps. Good news is that I've been feeling absolutely great for about 2 weeks now. Had a super solid session today. Nothing huge, but major consistency. Hit almost everything I wanted to within a couple attempts.
- Janiwalker b2b
- Blurry Whirl > Spinning Whirl rpt
- Fury on both sides
- I think I hit every mid-string Motion I attempted (5 or 6 and of course, all on my strong side haha)
Had at least 4 strings of 25+ contacts, which is pretty huge for me. Sometimes I don't even get that many in a week because I get bored with BOPs and just want to do intense stuff. Also hit Gyro Osis > Blurry Whirl rpt. Sounds easy in my head but that one took a little longer than I wanted it to.

Unhighlight - Found out recently that I have a mild form of degenerative disc disease between C3 & C4(?) which causes arthritis in my neck. This is why if I push myself too hard, I end up stiff and in pain for about a 2 week time period. I also noticed when I was having my sessions early in the morning before work, it was worse. Probably because muscles aren't stretched out yet. I just have to be careful, I guess.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Aug 2019 00:58

Too bad about the neck - but probably better knowing, so you can know what to avoid. Big tricks as per usual, but good work on going for the longer runs too.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Aug 2019 08:23

Yikes. be careful!
Also, nice highlights. Really like the gyro osis one. Ever since CSS2 footage of Lon doing gyro osis > pdx whirl repeat > gyro osis > barfly > repeat (and maybe some other tricks?) I've wanted to replicate, but playing out of gyro osis is so much harder than it sounds!