Allan's Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Allan

Re: Allan's Footblog

Post by Allan » 03 Feb 2014 21:02

And this is just a follow up test post written from tapatalk itself ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 03 Feb 2014 21:11

Thanks a lot Allan! This is my first tapatalk post btw ;) I digg this

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 03 Feb 2014 21:13

PS.. More videos dude! :D love your style, have always loved your style.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 Feb 2014 08:19

Thanks for all your work on improving the forums.

Also, love that nuke symp twirl. Very cool trick.

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 04 Feb 2014 10:58

Thanks for all your work on improving the forums.

Also, love that far symp reverse swirling dragon rake. Very cool trick.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 04 Feb 2014 11:24

Sweet video! Very enjoyable to watch and made me wanna shred. Looks like you have a lot of fun when you kick.

Allan

Post by Allan » 11 Mar 2014 18:15

Got a call out of the blue today from a social worker who said she knew a kid really interested in footbag, and would pass my information along to him.

First outdoor session! No video. matador > blurry whirl both sides; footed BSOS.

Allan

Post by Allan » 22 Apr 2014 17:46

This is an image of where all of the visitors are on the board, as of a few minutes ago :)

I'll be posting about it in the policies forum at some point soon, but I'm moving the site off of Google Analytics to Piwik ...

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 22 Apr 2014 22:29

East Coast represent

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 23 Apr 2014 02:43

Copenhagen is completely killing it.

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 23 Apr 2014 06:10

finally stumbled on your blog and got to see you rip. love your spinning sets and the ledge work was cool as shit. good stuff man!
Aaron Price
No reason why extreme cardio should be boring. -Salem Straub

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Apr 2014 09:38

There's a big chunk of the world missing. Wonder who the person in Brazil is...

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 27 Apr 2014 21:21

yeah who took Oz off the map?
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Allan

Post by Allan » 02 May 2014 09:21

Those of you who are seeing the map image cut off just need to refresh your browser window once or twice as you've got an old version of the CSS cached; I added a line to make sure images never go outside the post box anymore. (img {max-width:100%}

Matt & I played last night. I was feeling really good until I tweaked my knee about 15 minutes in :( I don't think it's serious, but at my age, and after having learned the hard way, I called it a session instead of trying to play through any pain at all. I'm hoping it's just one of those tweaks that hurts for a day or two and then goes away. I've taken a couple ibuprofen this morning, but it still hurts walking down stairs... I'll be fine :)

I've not been working on the forums much over the past couple of weeks; other pet projects have stolen my interest temporarily. I've got plenty of stuff on my to do list. Hopefully I'll get inspired this weekend.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 02 May 2014 16:52

Heal up, Allan :)

Allan

Post by Allan » 04 May 2014 12:24

Thanks @Muffinman :)

The knee is feeling better. I've not played on it yet, but maybe tomorrow.

April's stats:

Allan

Post by Allan » 28 May 2014 18:19

My new Units:

They're in Los Angeles at the USPS sorting centre and should be here soon :) I'm stoked.

$130 after shipping. Yikes.

That being said, I've really been liking the Nike LunarGlide 4+ shoes that I've been rocking for the past 10 months or so:

They're super-duper light, and I actually love the instep; because the bottom of the sole has a wider footprint than the top (pyramid), it creates a sort of scoop. The toe-box is just two simple cuts and standard lacing, and it works dreamy for me.

Support-wise, I feel a lot more ... upright ... in these shoes. And bouncy :) When I first tried them on (Matt got a pair on a lark, and he liked them, so I tried his), it was almost like strapping on my first pair of New Balance CT300's. The very first two strings I did in them felt decent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 7vhk#t=134

But they're a lot lighter than the CT300. As light as you'd expect a modern running shoe to be. My legs almost always feel just fine after playing in them. I used to get terrible shin pain after an hour-long session in Lavers. I still get fatigued (Captain Obvious), but the "feels like its in the bone" aching is a thing of the past :)

Because they're lighter, they're also not the most durable shoe I've ever shredded; they seem pretty good for indoor use, but now that winter is over and we're back outside, the asphalt is ripping the ball of the sole up pretty quick.

I paid $160 for these suckers (yes, really), but that's when they were the hype new model. I bet they're reasonably priced now. I also bet that they're getting harder to find by the day.

With my last pair of Units, I actually had a bunch of great sessions with the leather intact. I'm thinking that with this pair I'm not going to cut the leather out of these ones at all in an effort to make them last as long as possible. I really, really hate paying so much for shoes that barely last a year. I also have a feeling I'm going to change my mind ... I'm betting the weight will be my reason.

We've not been playing much recently. My knee was a setback, but that's been feeling better for ages. A couple of sessions I didn't record, and one session I only recorded for 20 minutes and didn't get a single good run out of it :( That's not happened in, like, since ever. Last nights session was pretty cool though; only played for about an hour, but I felt good. DSO > Blur, both sides. Paradox Drifters felt on-point, and I was throwing in paradox legbeater mid-string. Several 50-ish contact runs with a fair amount of BOPs. Toe Blur > Toe Blur mid-string a couple of times ... no video :(

I've been seeing a lovely new girlfriend (Rachel) and we've been spending a lot of time together, so that's fun :)

I've been doing a lot of server juggling these days (like server computers, virtually juggling--with this bunch I feel compelled to clarify). A few weeks ago I felt inspired to finally go back to running my own VPS. I stopped running my own show a few years ago, and have lived on a shared hosting account. It's worked. Mostly. But "the cloud" has changed a lot of stuff since I've been "gone," and I've also learned a buttload about server admin (and general gnu/linux). AND modified needs a better home than I've been giving it. And so it's time :) My new boxes are SSD based and I can easily scale resources. Hopefully modified will soon be running from a dedicated IP with 2GB of RAM and 2 cores, with virtually no other sites on the box taking up resources (just a dozen or so of my low-traffic, mostly static sites). It should be smoking fast and more reliable :)

As much as I've learned with server admin, there's still a bunch of stuff that I don't know how to do well enough; Email is hard (and I'm not even trying to do anything complicated). As a result, a lot of development on the badges page and props feature has taken a back seat to me learning a bunch of stuff about that. I think it's a lot more important to get the server issue out of the way, so I'm prioritizing it for the time being.

One thing that's holding that all up is that I'm having a really hard time getting Mike Hansen to respond to me. He's in control of the registrar info for modified.in, and I can't get him to log in and transfer it away to me so that I can do stuff with it. It's been, like, 6 months since I asked. It's a longer story than I want to type, but we played chat-tag a couple of weeks ago, so I know he knows I need access. He's just ignoring me :( It's all good :) I'm not in any hurry. But I'd really like to be able to get that issue out of the way...

Wow. Epic-ly long post :roll: I'm out.

Allan

Post by Allan » 28 May 2014 18:49

This might be of some use to some of you.

Download YouTube videos to your computer:

http://modified.in/ytdown/

Oh, and as a reminder:

http://modified.in/images/

I'm planning on integrating the image hosting into a button/dialog in the post-create form ...

Muffinman
the gimp

Allan's Footblog

Post by Muffinman » 29 May 2014 03:41

Waaat. Love these last two posts, Allan! Thanks for the life update, detailed shoe review, and crazy work on Modified! Im on my phone now, so i cant check, but these services sound amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 29 May 2014 07:09

yea, cool write up on the nikes. hopefully johnny and tom will get this kickstarter program going and we can finally have a dedicated shoe for footbag. congrats on the new chick as well :)
Aaron Price
No reason why extreme cardio should be boring. -Salem Straub