Allan's Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Allan

Post by Allan » 18 Aug 2011 15:52

testing 123.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 18 Aug 2011 19:48

Yo Allan, that was awesome. Your spinning is by far my favorite in footbag. I've been working on different spinning variations recently and you've been a lot of my inspiration for those drill sessions. Just started being able to use Double Spinning Clipper midstring in my runs :) I feel like my game has been turning towards spins a lot recently, so thanks a bunch for the inspiration you've provided me. Keep it up.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Allan

Post by Allan » 20 Aug 2011 19:56

Footblogs are cool, but this forum format is kind of a pain in the butt. You have to go to the last page of the thread, and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the lastest post; in other words, they're in chronological order. This (kind of) makes sense for a discussion, but for a blog it's backwards.

It's also really kind of hard to see who the blog's primary author is. There's no differentiation between the author and the commenters.

The whole forum is a hack, really. It's a well-used hack, but ...

I tried one experiment last week. I asked a few people to look at it, and the resounding feedback was essentially "but what about the existing forum?" I was trying to start from scratch. I would love to be able to do that, but I just doubt it's going to happen as there are too many questions.

So, instead of starting from scratch, I figured I'd just work with what we've got and see if I couldn't at least improve upon the concept. Here's a hack on top of a hack (AKA the footblog viewer). It doesn't do anything to replace or even extend the existing functionality. Nothing really changes, except that it gets easier to read the posts in a manner more blog-like, if you want to.

It's not perfect at all. At the moment, it's artificially limited to returning the last 50 posts, though, if I get some positive feedback, I would looking into being able to scroll through a full thread, or any other potential improvements (bookmarks?). It's what I cobbled together in a couple of hours when I should have been doing something else.

Take a look. Let me know if you think it's useful or not.

Thanks.

Allan

Post by Allan » 20 Aug 2011 19:57

Thanks Nick :)

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 22 Aug 2011 09:18

I'm not really bothered by the format. Since I usually don't check footblogs before there is a couple of posts and then it's nice to be able to read them in chronological order. But I am open for something new and modified could really use some new ideas.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 22 Aug 2011 15:35

Allan, I understand this a little better now and I do like the idea... However, I noticed that it clumps everything together so it decreases the usability of footblogs. For instance, if someone lists (with bullets, or what I use, arrows) a bunch of new tricks/highlights/whatever, it is all mashed together. If you can somehow change the format so that it's not so clumpy, I would totally buy the idea.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Allan

Post by Allan » 16 Feb 2012 13:38

I posted this on my youtube account a while ago. It's a compilation video of the best spinning combos I've hit in about the last year. If you've followed my postings at all, there's nothing new here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lEADb_OKoE[/youtube]

I've not been in a great space recently and haven't been playing. Dylan's back is hurt (still), so he's not been playing, and Matt--despite his saying that he wanted to spend more time playing footbag this year--hasn't been very into it.

I'm hoping D's back will heal up and the weather will get nicer to inspire Matt and get Jeremy to come out too. Here's hoping for a good year for footbag!

Allan

Post by Allan » 11 Apr 2012 12:04

The weather finally started to get warm around here, so I've started playing as often as possible. Today will be my third day in a row if we don't get rained out. Here are yesterdays highlights:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiZ0F-sRaH8[/youtube]

A few weeks ago, on a particularly nice day, I decided to warm up my brain to idea of doing some more "street" freestyle this year. I found a nice little ledge and basically just practiced doing rip-ups (ripwalk-up) with a variety of moves back down. I thought the ledge would be cool, but it didn't really feel right.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCvtXftm4ow[/youtube]

I'm actually surprised by how picky I am, and how "just the right height" can make a huge difference to what I can land. I need to find a ledge about 4-5 cm lower than this one. And without the big wall on the other side.

What I really need is a videographer/editor with some nice equipment. Back 7-8 years ago now, Eliot offered to do this for me. I could've had a Peter Irish "You've Never Seen This" style video made of street freestyle, but I just wasn't into it when he offered. I've begun to seriously regret that decision.

In closing, way back in January, I filmed a really casual session (no shorts) on a cold-but-sunny day:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahSpWAgB5Y0[/youtube]

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 11 Apr 2012 15:22

Ask Kevin Regamey. I dunno if he still has his super camera, but he's got skills. Also, I love when you post in your blog -- super inspiring. I haven't watched these videos yet, though. Gonna save them for later.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 12 Apr 2012 11:44

Awesome stuff man. I agree with Erik, I'm always inspired to drill double spins/inspins after I watch your videos. I plan on messing around with them tomorrow.

Going by your step ducks and inspinning, I bet you could hit some wicked leaning tricks, which I've never seen you do. Don't know if you have done anything from that set or not, but if not, you should and if you have, I would enjoy seeing some big leaning tricks from you in your next videos. I've hit Leaning Jolwer before, and judging from how that felt and how I'm not great with step ducks or inspins, I bet you could hit some nasty stuff like Leaning P Torque, since you have way more experience in both of those categories than I do.

You should try (if you haven't hit them already):

-Leaning P Mirage
-Timberwulf
-Leaning P Torque (Possibly doable for you?)
-Leaning Drifter
-Whatever else you can come up with.

I love your style, but I would love to see you hit some leaning tricks in your runs. Can't wait til the next video. Also insane work with the Street Freestyle stuff.
Nick Polini

Funblog

grek
Fearless

Post by grek » 26 May 2012 10:52

Hi!

The street freestyle was really cool, I liked the Blurry whirls and the Down Double Down the most!!!

Props on the other vids too!

Cheers!
András Horváth

Allan

Post by Allan » 05 Jul 2012 20:57

It's been a while. We've not been playing much. Matt's been the same once every week or two, but I want to play more than that. I get Jeremy out once a month or so. Justin Hall was around there for a few weeks and we played a few times, which was good, but now he's in school, like, all the time and can't play as much.

Jon Haber stopped by on Monday and we had a pretty fun session where he played really well for having played twice in more than as many years. I hit stuff > inspinning clipper > double spinning clipper > double spinning osis > inspinning osis > 10-15 contacts, which was all I can remember writing this several days later. I've not been recording anything :(

Today, however, I watched Anssi's video. In it, he torques off a bench (amongst other rad shit). That got me thinking, so I went out and tried some stuff. It felt really quite good. I thought of this pretty good spot we've played at a few times over the years at the Royal BC Museum, so I went down there and there was a cement picnic table that was just talking to me.

At first I was pretty timid and actually felt a bit of fear as stood on top of the thing and tried to warm things up a bit, but after a couple of solid blur-downs, I started being more confident. I think this was the first session in ... years--since Like Water 2 times--where I've felt that comfortable. I didn't hit anything particularly amazing, but I definitely felt something good. Blurry whirl down almost surprised me with how easy it felt, though I couldn't really play out of it.

Then I noticed the gap between the picnic bench and the bench thingy next to it. They were a bit far away from each other, but I remembered, like, 10 years ago there was a similar gap that we actually got some cool footage of that is now lost somewhere in Ben West's 2000-unlabeled-tapes-closet. I figured I'd try it again and it was totally fun. The combos were a bit ... stunted ... but "rip-over" is a fun concept that I want to play with more.

The bottom line is that, while this location was cool and I loved that picnic table, I really need to do a bit more scouting and find a better table that doesn't have a flag pole right in front of it and an area that has more diverse terrain for me to work with. I really feel a drive to shred more obstacles. I think it's because I'm definitely feeling like I'm getting old and that I'm not going to be able to do this sort of shit for much longer. Hitting sixes off benches at 36 is already pushing it ... :D

The last thing is an apology for the crappiness of this footage. You can't even see the bag half the time. The framing and exposure of the shits ... I'm embarrassed to be publishing it. Amazingly, I'm somewhat lazy about setting the camera up. I could probably get much better shots with a bit more effort, but that "bit" somehow seems like it's too much of a burden. I really, really want to find a person with a nice camera and the ability to make a proper video, but ... I dunno. This is a long enough post as it is, so I'm just going to leave it at that.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXb_I1oSVaQ[/youtube]

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 06 Jul 2012 06:03

1. Thanks for the footage, regardless of quality.
2. The ripover concept is super cool. I definitely want to see more stuff like that.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 06 Jul 2012 17:43

Awesome as always!
The ripwalk across was so wicked. I think I'd have trouble just jumping across that distance nevermind doing a footbag trick!! Longest legs in footbag?

Allan

Re: Allan's Footblog

Post by Allan » 21 Jul 2012 11:00

I woke up a couple mornings ago with nasty back pain. The night before we had played:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAcxOt3EEgs[/youtube]

And I didn't feel anything at the time, but it seems that maybe I tweaked something. I've had to take the day off work today.

The pain could also have something to do with the fact that I started working at a café about 6 weeks ago. I have stopped freelancing web development for many reasons, not the least of which was that I had a very poor life/work balance and I was sitting on my ass waaaay too much. I actually want to work somewhere where I have no real responsibility; where I can check in, and once I check out, I don't think about it. And there's no sitting. So, for now, 20 hours a week at a café making lattes for tourists it is.

For the first time in 12 years, I have to stand for many hours in a row. For the first few shifts I wore my Vans, but immediately after the first shift, half of my left toe went numb and my legs/feet were killing me after every shift. I started wearing my New Balance running shoes, and things got better fast, but still, going from sitting all the time for 12 years+ to standing for 20-25 hours a week is going to have an effect. And I think my current back pain is it. I should probably see a doctor. And start stretching. Yoga. Or something other than just trying peaking double spinning.

Because pulling shots at $10.25/hr for 20 hours a week doesn't pay my bills, and because I'm a geek who's invested 12 years of my life honing web development skills and can't just walk away from that, I also took a position working part time as a front-end developer at MediaCore. MediaCore is awesome, and I'm really quite happy and honoured to be working there. I've worked with them before as a freelancer, but now I'm actually part of the staff (or will be soon), and I'm slowly letting all my freelance clients go. I hope to not be doing any more freelance work within the year, and to be full-time with MediaCore.

I've also been putting a fair amount of time around here. Upgrading the board to the new version of the software was challenging, and I really hope doing so was the right choice to make. I fucked up the youtube shortcodes. That really sucks.

I'm out of time to write now ...

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 21 Jul 2012 13:10

Good luck with your Mediacore and back pain.
I made a post in Jay's blog about my back pain, and I thought I remember it first being a real issue when I was visiting Vancouver and I just couldn't stand up after a session with Jorden, but I remember now that I had my first significant pain, where I had to leave work to go home and lay down for a few days, was from standing all day at a coffee shop I used to work at. Maybe a back brace would help if it's still bothering you at the cafe?

Allan

Post by Allan » 18 Mar 2013 17:57

Testing 123:

Allan

Post by Allan » 27 Jun 2013 19:32

This is just a test to see how hashtags work: #usopen

Use it if you like it.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 27 Jun 2013 20:13

Dude, I can't believe you can't make it to Worlds :/ I was really hoping to kick with you finally. Your style is still ridiculous man. Sorry if hearing that gets old. But man, you've really been inspiring me a lot recently. The video above is nasty. Sick sick sick runs.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Allan

Post by Allan » 03 Feb 2014 20:52

This is mostly just a test to see if I get a push notification from "Tapatalk" on my phone about this post.

I've not posted here in a looong time. Lots has happened in my life, but not much has changed about my game. I still just shred and have fun. We play, like, once a week. I usually record it. I've now published 101 videos on youtube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDSEM3S-hoY[/youtube]