Mike Green

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 12 Mar 2012 14:09

Hey man!

Was a real pleasure to meet you. You are awsome! Can't wait to hang out and shred with you again!!

Can't wait to see all the special shot we had on your cam haha ;). especially the barefoot one with the ''Special guest with the yellow suit ;)''.

Mat

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 13 Mar 2012 02:43

Just finished 18 hours of non stop editing. Poolside video is exporting and should be done in 30. I'm too tired to wait for it. Mat there are good clips ;)

Shredding at mesa arts Center with Conrad tomorrow night. Mega excited about that.

Sleep
Mike Green
footblog
kicking since Mar 27, 2011

Zjeezy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Zjeezy » 13 Mar 2012 11:48

worldbound wrote: Three big plans:

1. Going to PSU Jam
2. Going to USO
3. Going to Worlds
4. Going to Michigan
zach jahner

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 13 Mar 2012 13:06

Zjeezy wrote:
worldbound wrote: Three big plans:

1. Going to PSU Jam
2. Going to USO
3. Going to Worlds
4. Going to Michigan
5. (should be #1) Going to Montreal ;).

billman_c
Multidex Master

Post by billman_c » 14 Mar 2012 09:26

Man, that was a great session!

You'll have drifters down before you know it!

I can't wait for the next session! That location is awesome! I bet it would be a decent summer spot, too, with all that shade!
Conrad R.

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 14 Mar 2012 23:07

Zach: Michigan is for sure on my list of places to go, I am hoping some time before the summer!

Mat: Montreal, perhaps at the end of this month?

Conrad: For reals that was a great session! Thank you so much for helping me with my form and pushing me to try new tricks!

Just a quick recap on yesterday:
Kicked with Conrad at Mesa Arts Center. Session lasted 3 hours, but went by super fast. I pulled something weird on my right leg while drilling flip stepping. It is healed now.

In Vegas Mathieu pointed out that I was not catching my clippers in the sweet spot. I thought the sweet spot was somewhere else, and was completely wrong. Now everything seems so much easier! Thanks Mathieu!

highlights:
:arrow: First Flip ripwalk. I wanted to get both sides back to back, but by then my right leg muscle was really aching.
:arrow: Found out butterflies are in bad form, and contribute to 100% of my shin pains.
:arrow: Major improvements on left clipper crank
:arrow: Major improvement of flip stepping
:arrow: Atom Smasher after a couple of tries
:arrow: Video game music on Conrad's cellphone
:arrow: 8/10 of the alternating osis I attempted were solid

Today:
I thought I would have time to edit and do other stuff at work, but I was put in an office that was not laptop-friendly. Oh well. At least I was able to practice no-step clippers and inside stalls for about 20 minutes.

I should really go to bed. Now I am looking at 6 hours of sleep followed by a 15 hour work shift. 7:00 am - Midnight. Yikes! Night.
Mike Green
footblog

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 15 Mar 2012 10:40

OK, so there won't be much footbag until I start catching up on my programming class. Hopefully by Tuesday I can start killing it. For now, I will drill here and there when I can.

So far at work:
:arrow: 50 no plant ss inside stalls both sides

:arrow: 25 no plant ss clippers both sides

Been trying to get it in my muscle memory where the real sweet spot is. I have to change the way I set the footbag all over again! I am really excited to get it right!

Back to programming.
Mike Green
footblog

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 15 Mar 2012 10:46

If you like to travel to shred, you should come to South America too :)

billman_c
Multidex Master

Post by billman_c » 15 Mar 2012 15:07

Any programming questions, I may be able to help, it's what I do!
Conrad R.

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 15 Mar 2012 16:47

Daniel: I would love to come to Chile! I lived in Brazil for a couple of years and have a soft spot for South America.

Honestly that would be a trip to plan out far in advance. With all the traveling I am doing in the next few months it will be hard to take an epic trip like that. I would have to bring my wife, too. She wouldn't let me go somewhere as awesome as Chile without her. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the invite =D

Conrad: So far I have it under control. If shit hits the fan, I will send a sad face message to you. Thanks!

EDIT:

Today so far:
I have no idea what this is called, but...
:arrow: Atomic set>Dexing leg dexes back to a mirage - Both sides twice

Clipper in sweet spot feels SOOOO good now. I can't stop doing them. Osis feels even better. I can't believe I used to shred in the wrong spot.

Back to work.
Mike Green
footblog

billman_c
Multidex Master

Post by billman_c » 15 Mar 2012 20:37

Sounds like Tap. And NICE!
Conrad R.

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 15 Mar 2012 20:58

OOO TAP. I will go ahead with that. Both sides tap. Thanks, I need to keep shredding with you so I can learn what things are called =P

Now, Illusions. Ugh.
Mike Green
footblog

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 16 Mar 2012 19:36

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdHCCrmT8K0[/youtube]
4 hour session at work today. Caught the tail end of the session on tape.

highlights:
:arrow: first time diving
:arrow: mirage>tap? Not sure about the name
:arrow: training nuclear sets
:arrow: clippers are getting more in rythmn
:arrow: stepping>same side butterfly both sides
:arrow: ripwalk both sides
:arrow: clean whirls both sides (noticed that my balance was off, fixed that)

Atomic sets are set way to high and using way too much energy. My hips are still moving a lot. Glad that flip side is as comfortable as strong side, but they both need work.

Ducking on flip side is way out of whack. Drill.

Looking forward to tomorrow to work on this some more.
Mike Green
footblog

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 17 Mar 2012 08:35

For a footbag tip I would go to Colombia at the moment - here it is just me! But if you do come, (or any players), you are quite welcome, and your wife too.

I am working on some ideas so hopefully we can make a cool event happen.

They will have the South American champs in Medellin in Colombia in December - something I would definitely like to see is some more people travel to come and check it out.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 17 Mar 2012 08:42

that's great you're working on atomics - I think they are a much harder trick than some other sets like pixie or stepping - I still struggle with them a lot actually.

I was told it's all about conserving energy in your set - if you set it up with the right motion, you will be not working so hard to make the set. Unfortunately I have not perfected this at all yet!

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 17 Mar 2012 21:02

Boyle: I still can't pixie, it is lame because I know I can learn it in a day if I just practice some discipline. Lazy boy.

Columbia! I would totally be down! I would have to convince my wife to come. I work with a lady from Colombia, I wonder if she can give me family hookups. I will let you know what my wife thinks of Columbia in December. =)

Today:

Weird day. First of all, there were clouds in the sky. Second, it might rain tonight. WEIRD.

:arrow: Hit first two drifters back to back on flip side

After that I had to get back to work. I am mega tired from lack of sleep and excess work. Time to edit the vegas footage!

PS here is the footage from the shred I had with Conrad the other night:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BzvrieGYPw[/youtube]
Mike Green
footblog

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 18 Mar 2012 21:13

Yo Mike, excellent stuff lately dude! Great you're starting to get a grip on atomics..

HOWEVER, you're putting too much effort into them... I can say this only because, when I hit my first smashers and taps, my atomics looked just like yours.. And the scary part is, that is what started to lead toward my injury :?

The following is the post that I wish would have shown up on my blog when I posted the video of my first 3 atom smashers....

When you do atomics, it's not so much of an "up n over" motion for the dexterity.. It's almost like "directly over, stabbing inward with your knee"... Too much of that upward motion with your atomic dexing leg can lead to shin splints or worse in no time... TRUST ME. BEEN THERE, MOTHAFUCKIN DONE THAT. Not fun.

My best suggestion is, mess with that new way of doing them a little and if you don't understand it and/or your leg starts to hurt from doing them, I'll show you what I mean at PSU Jam. Peace dude, be careful with those legs. You're probably gonna need them for a while.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 18 Mar 2012 23:38

Nick:
Thank you for the tips! I really need stuff like this. It did feel really taxing to do atomics, but now that I think about it you are absolutely right. I will correct what is incorrect tomorrow! ^_^ YES I can't wait for PSU jam! It is going to be so awesome!

Today:
First drifters were hit on both sides on camera. They are very jumpy and strange looking. Flip side and strong side feel like completely different tricks. I need to get that sorted out tomorrow.

30 minute session, all on camera. This is pretty much all I hit in between running around taking shots of the sky.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeFkz89fbeQ[/youtube]

Time to sleep
Mike Green
footblog

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 19 Mar 2012 07:44

Hey Mike!

I'm not sure, but from what i can see from the video, i think when you are dexing with the left leg, you do a drifter. But the trick you are doing when your first dex is with right leg looks liks a dada curve (wich i the same trick as a drifter, but your 2nd leg also pass over the bag). This is why you have to jump much more on the side then the other one... And probably why it feels different, because from the angle i have i think you don't do the same trick on both side haha!

Drifter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K35_mFAOXbs

Dada curve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iuztoSrakY

«When you do atomics, it's not so much of an "up n over" motion for the dexterity.. It's almost like "directly over, stabbing inward with your knee"... Too much of that upward motion with your atomic dexing leg can lead to shin splints or worse in no time... TRUST ME. BEEN THERE, MOTHAFUCKIN DONE THAT. Not fun. ».

I think it's important to raise the knee also. But the point is too raise your knee without to raise your whole body.
Look how high that person raise his knee without actually jumping :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUObXTVHybo

All the sets basically work like that... The idea is not to jump as high as we can, it is to raise the articulation high enough to dex the bag properly without loosing energy by jumping high. Jumping high is (almost) never good simply because you loose energy and (most importantly) time for the 2nd dex... If you are in the air you can't adjust yourself for the 2nd dex until you touch the ground. There are feeeew tricks where ppl jump for different matters (E.G. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNg_BiTWnkc)

Hope that help!

Mat

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 19 Mar 2012 10:01

Mathieu: You are absolutely right about the Dada Curve. I knew they felt different! I feel really silly now, but it is fine. What you said about jumping makes total sense, certain tricks take so much time when you jump because you have to wait to jump and land before doing anything else.

These are amazing pointers. Thanks guys!

Today I will work really hard to get:
:idea: proper drifters on both sides, no jumping
:idea: alternating drifters
:idea: drifter>whirl (and if possible, drifter>whirl>pdx drifter>whirl)
:idea: Atomic sets, no jumping
:idea: proper stepping sets

I only have to work 10 hours today (yay), and tomorrow I have the day off. Shred time!
Mike Green
footblog