david owen beyers

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boats
BSOS Beast

Re: david owen beyers

Post by boats » 31 Dec 2016 17:26

IMG_1343.jpg
IMG_1343.jpg (276.51 KiB) Viewed 14688 times
Top Post Painting ^

Haven't posted here in ages...

Today was my first time playing footbag since December 12th. 18 days is the most time I have taken off playing in a while. I started out slow, and practiced some basics. Once I was a little warm, I decided to try some of Hogan's Links of the Day 2016. I managed to get 5 links. I could not get the Flail > pixie dragon fly kick (I was surprised to hit a bunch of my flip fails though). I had to stop on the symposium whizz > grifter link. I came close a couple of times. It also probably made me better at symp whiz.
In other news... Kevin did an awesome Job with X-Mas Calendar this year! I was happy to collaborate with the footbag comics. It was interesting to troll people internationally. I also think I was in the most videos this Joulo. Sorry Jon Schneider!
Last edited by boats on 02 Jan 2017 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 02 Jan 2017 12:34

I'm going to post the Joulo vids that I was in December 2016.

BOATZ Special! Sick edit by Chris Tristano. Probably my coolest video to date.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-RIV_RRoUo

Halloween NYFA Jam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_k_TTqK9vc

Krystof!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuK4okyA1-I

NYFA shred with Anaconda!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwklnjj2e10

Happy Drew Year!

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 16 Jan 2017 14:17

I got back yesterday from Massachusetts. Kevin was cool enough to house me and my friend Darren. We were in Mass cuz Darren had done 2 fliers in 2016 for a Boston based D.I.Y. art and music collective. The Boston peeps were having an art show/ fair showcasing the fliers. There were also feminist fiber artist vendors selling fiber art. Fiber art is feminist themed art, usually involving embroidery, yarn, and knitting. Really awesome stuff! This one woman knitted stuffed jellyfish, squid, cuddle fish, a giant squid all out of yarn. Basically slimy, grotesque sea creatures which were turned into cute / soft stuffed animals .
Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 4.52.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 4.52.07 PM.png (833.33 KiB) Viewed 14672 times
Darren and I sold comics at the show... After the show, Darren and I also hit up an alternative comic book store in I think Brookline. The rest of the night consisted of raging at Hogans place in Salem #Witchcountry

The next afternoon, Hogan and I were able to get in a session. I really surprised myself for two reasons...
Reason 1. We played outside, andhttps://modified.in/footbag/download/file.php?mode=view&id=14 I was fine with it. I wore sweat pants, sweatshirt, and neck warmer. I am usually a baby in the cold. It was good that we started the session indoors cuz i was able to really warm up inside. However, I think we pissed Hogans roommate off with all of the noise.

Reason 2. I actually played really well for sweatpants, cold, and only playing like 3 times in a month and a half. I had a sweet 5 or 6 contact shuffle combo. I was able to hit cool links. Creative combos and runs. I thought i was going to be super rusty, but i ended up just going with the flow. I have definitely been watching a lot of footbag vids, and thinking about tricks, links, and combos. Maybe my mental game had an affect on the physical game. Or it was just a fluke that I was able to play so well without consistently playing
:arrow: atomic muted whirl
:arrow: double pick up > reverse whirling gyro toe
:arrow: mid string symple swirl (Inspiried by Hogan)
:arrow: fairy same mirage > quantum same osis
:arrow: barfly > drifter > whirl > dlo
:arrow: Things that made Hogan laugh... Atomic flying toe and flying toe spinning clipper

Sux that i wasn't able to play with the whole Boston Crew since I was there for other reasons. I am happy that I got a session in with Hoag though

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 17 Jan 2017 01:56

That sounds like a cool trip. Do they have a lot of festivals/fairs whatever you want to call them for comics and zines and stuff over there in the USA? I imagine they would be pretty regular.

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 17 Jan 2017 18:22

Definitely a bunch of festival/fairs. I know Boston hosts a Black Market flea market every month. Comics Arts Brooklyn is a big one that happens every year in Brooklyn. Im sure there are a hell of a lot more that I don't know about. Especially in other states

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 25 Jan 2017 15:33

This past weekend I was up in Rifton, about 2 hours North of NYC. My band from college, DONKEY played music Saturday and Sunday. I drove up on Thursday night. The location was a lake house, and the water was frozen. One of the nights we walked out onto the ice with flashlights. Really surreal and cool experience.
I played casual footbag three days in a row. Pretty dope, with hacky circles consisting of friends and band mates. My friend Dan (Who plays calimba, keyboard, sings, guitar pedals) is pretty natural at footbag. Really cool flow and instincts. He can hit clipper and a cool whirling kick thing.

Playing with DONKEY was awesome. We are a Jam band, but not too typical. I play noise/ sing (with distortion voice), feedback looped mixing board, I already explained what Dan did, Drums / Electronic drums from Chris, and James on the Funky ass bass. We def had some out-there jams. Most notable that I remember was one of the last ones which sounded like DEVO.

I played with Chris today in his driveway. Chris was trying out his brand new lavers. He had a rusty session, but his rev-ups are still on point. He also hit ripstien.

I was able to play pretty decent. I remember having one really cool run. I was able to hit vortex and spinning whirl first try. I also hit phasing same legover, but in a weird way in which the fairy set probs isnt there. Im ok with it

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 26 Jan 2017 23:40

That sounds like a lot of fun in the band. Is that the same Chris in footbag and in the band?

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 31 Jan 2017 12:53

Dan, it is not the same Chris. However, the footbag Chris is musical. He has made electronic music in the past.

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 31 Jan 2017 20:21

I had a drill session last night. Just practiced basics to try and keep some kinda level. I did hit something new inspired by Gatesman though. Spinning gyro clipper. I'm pumped to play with Polini this weekend! I should probs get another mini session in before the week is through

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 01 Feb 2017 04:05

Is that basically a double spin and you just catch it on the opposite foot, or something different? If it's what I'm thinking, Juho does that really well.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 01 Feb 2017 15:16

If its what I'm thinking, Jorden has video of them to I believe. Cool trick.

EDIT: I think its like 1.5 spins no?
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 01 Feb 2017 16:20

It's 1.5 spins. I thought of it like a spin, wait a mili second, gyro clipper.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 01 Feb 2017 19:18

So it is essentially spinning osis except that the gyro bit happens uptime, compared to spinning osis in which the osis bit happens downtime, yes?
TJ Boutorwick

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 03 Feb 2017 13:11

yup!

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 18 Feb 2017 11:54

Had an awesome time kicking with Nick and Bonslaver in Amish land couple of weeks back. Something new I hit was symp bent swirl (One trick). Definitely Wacky. Since then I have had one session with Chris. Tomorrow I will be kicking with NYFA in NYC!

Here is a session that Chris and I had last summer. I made the music for it also. Not the best shred, vid, or song but whateves. It's fun to make stuff!

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 26 Feb 2017 16:23

Snuck in a session on Friday. Here are some clips and a quick experimental animation!

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 07 Apr 2017 13:02

NYFA had a session last Sunday. I was coming down with a cold, so I wasn't feeling footbag as much as I wanted to. I did have a few highlights though.

-A run beginning with vortex with spanish fly, and spinning ducking paradox mirage in there
-Whirling swirl (a trick that I have always loved but have a difficult time hitting) It felt good to hit it

We are kicking tomorrow at Washington Square Park. The worst of my cold is over. However, I am not a 100 percent so I am not expecting big footbag things tomorrow.

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 18 Jun 2017 14:22

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Nice links Boatz!

Post by C-Fan » 19 Jun 2017 12:46

Noice. Thoroughly enjoyed those links. So unique...def one of my fav styles in the game at the moment.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 19 Jun 2017 13:21

I enjoyed the links as well. Makes me want to try some of them.
TJ Boutorwick