Khoa Nguyen's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Re: Khoa Nguyen's footblog - Drilling Osis

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 21 Oct 2013 12:57

Not much to report lately except the fact that I've been drilling a whole bunch of Osii. As Ivan pointed out to me during the drill session last Saturday, I tend to over rotate (>90 degrees) which makes my Osii suck. Also, I have the tendency to turn early as well, which made my Osii sucker.
So, I've been employing the lines method (standing at a 90 degrees angle made by 2 lines in the squash courts, and practicing turning and spotting the bag. I've been doing that for 2 days (Sat and Sun), will continue that for months to come.
One string I hit on Saturday which really pleased me was:

:arrow: Dimwalk - DLO - Eclipse

Nothing new, but the fact that I was able to combine those 3 tricks together is a great accomplishment for me. Now, move on to flip side!

Also, I hit Paradox Illusion BSOS on Sunday. I think it was the first time I hit Paradox Illusion BSOS. If I can get them to be good enough, my next goal will be to combine them with the usual Butterfly - Pdx Mirage combo that I'm doing now, probably to do these drills:

Butterfly - Pdx Mirage - Butterfly - Pdx Mirage - Butterfly - Pdx Illusion - Butterfly - Pdx Illusion (repeat - hopefully.)

But that drill alone, if I get good at it, will increase my number of Guiltless tricks in a string to at least 8 each time, which will be awesome. Now, if my Osii get better during the next 6 months, and I manage to incorporate that into the combo, even better.

I have also done Miraging Inside and Miraging Eclipse. My stepping, although still need massive work, has gotten somewhat better.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Oct 2013 13:49

I have some good stepping tips for you when I come up for Halloween. I can help you with Osis more too. Looking forward to seeing your improvements! Cya in less than 2 weeks!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 22 Oct 2013 09:53

Thanks, Nick. I'll try to get some stuff done with my Osis until then.
Yesterday was my first Osis drilling session. I attempted 50 on each sides. On strong side I got 25/50 (success rate was 50%, didn't expect that, especially on one run I got 9/10 Osis on that side). Unfortunately, flip side was still being a b!tch, with success rate only about 18% (9/50).
I'm gonna drill Osis all the way for the next 6 months and see what happens.

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 06 Nov 2013 11:23

Had a fun time last weekend with all the guests in the Pumpkin Jam. I was pretty tired on both days, so I didn't really do a lot of things noteworthy. However, I still manged to hit Osis BSOS several times (which is big for me, and it shows me that my Osis drilling has finally take effect!).
Some of the other highlights included partying at shred house on Saturday. Was a real blast with everybody there.
Looking forward til next PSU Jamps!

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 07 Nov 2013 12:09

Got 2 things that I was pretty excited about yesterday with the guys at PSU:

1. Pixie Legover - Magellan - Smear - Pixie Legover - combo
2. Weak Eclipse! (finally!) and almost 3 eclipses on strong side.

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 22 Nov 2013 13:02

Decided to have a solo session yesterday, not so much drilling but just to test some combinations I got in mind.
So I got:

:arrow: Smear BSOS
:arrow: Magellan BSOS
:arrow: butterfly - whirl BS
:arrow: Symp Mirage BSOS
:arrow: 3 rakes - Eclipse
:arrow: Rake strong - Rake flip
:arrow: Pixie Legover - Magellan - Pixie Eclipse - legover - combo
:arrow: Pixie Legover - Dimwalk - DLO - Eclipse

Also I hit my first ever :arrow: Double ATW flipside (actually it was double orbit). I hit it once, there was another before it where I actually thought I landed the trick but it turned out "the".

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 22 Nov 2013 13:43

You know what's a cool combo for working those pixies - magellan>smear>plo rpt. Could buildup towards something like pixie everything.

How is the freestyle football going? Any plans to go to the World Cup in Brazil?

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 19 Dec 2013 21:32

boyle wrote:You know what's a cool combo for working those pixies - magellan>smear>plo rpt. Could buildup towards something like pixie everything.

How is the freestyle football going? Any plans to go to the World Cup in Brazil?
Good idea ;). I will drill that for a while alongside with Osis and see how it turns out! Thanks! :D :D :D
My fs football is going okay too, but still having this freaking juggling problem. HATE IT SOOOO MUCH!
Ah I wish I could go man I really do. But labwork is going to keep me occupied for a while, even in the summer... especially in the summer.

Okay. I got some recent progresses:

:arrow: Symp Mirage BSOS - string - Rake - string - Pixie Legover flip.
:arrow: A little better at stepping. Did Stepping Legover twice. Almost got Ripwalk.
:arrow: Got way better at strong Osis, if dropped from my hand I can actually do it like 8/10. But(!) flip Osis is being a real b!tch. I couldn't figure it out. I'm going to continue drilling it though.

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 01 Mar 2014 12:36

Finally got time to continue my journey. It's been such a dam long time!
Although labwork's killing me and everything else this semester stressed me out way too much, I still manged to get some pretty good stuff (for me that is!), including:

:arrow: Ripwalk strong side! + Combo with Ripwalk! My stepping still needs much improvements, but just being able to do Ripwalk is a great feeling. It's like I'm moving my game up now!
:arrow: BSOSed Osii a bit better now. Still need a lot of improvements in this department, but it's getting better at least.
:arrow: Pixie Bronze: Magellan - Pixie Legover - Magellan - Smear - Pixie Legover - Dimwalk. My Pixie games has improved a lot lately. Hopefully this trend will continue!

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 01 Mar 2014 13:51

Major props on the badge, Khoa!
Ryan Morris

PSU crew, ECFU, Michigan Footbag, and counting.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 01 Mar 2014 21:51

Damn dude! Ripwalks and Pixie Badges!?!?! Someone's been practicing!
Nick Polini

Funblog

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 01 Mar 2014 22:36

Thanks guys!
As I said both the Stepping set and Osii still need some serious improvements, as I want to get Osis really down, because I appreciate how useful it is. Also, my Ripwalk is a bit mid timey, and I want to make the Stepping set go higher, as well as getting it on flipside. So, still a lot of work to do. But I'm seriously proud about the Pixie badge! I'm going to upload it soon.

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 01 Mar 2014 22:41

Oh wait wait! Never mind! It was not a badge. Pixie Bronze requires me to go for 8 contacts! I got 3 flipsides, but I'm 2 contacts short. Will have to train more on that.
My bad lol.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Mar 2014 21:22

Still upload it dude, that's really awesome. Great milestone.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 15 Mar 2014 18:37

Pixie DLO! Learn pixie DLO!
Ryan Morris

PSU crew, ECFU, Michigan Footbag, and counting.

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 16 Mar 2014 10:35

Pixie DLO? You mean the 3 dex trick?

I tried Pixie Eggbeater before. Didn't really work out lol. Too slow still. Gotta get faster for that.
Btw this is my recent training video, outdoor for once! I was so happy for this fact that I freestyled for 3 hours straight of both footbag and football. This is the result lol.

http://youtu.be/OjNgPKstOGo

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 06 Apr 2014 20:12

JAMPS IV UPDATE

1. Day 0 - Friday April 4th 2014

After getting out of the lab on that day, I came to Rec Hall and practiced my routines for the upcoming Talent Show. After getting warmed way up and practiced my routine completely synched to the music (I got the whole thing planned out, with only a couple of bits that I wasn't sure I could get 100%) I came to the event site at 7 P.M to practicipate in the Talent Show. I was stoked to try the routine out because I have been practicing it for this year's USA Football Freestyle Competition for a whole month. However, as I was waiting for my turn (I was the next to last person to go!), I got wayyyyyyy warmed down and thus I wisely decided not to actually do the planned routine that I prepared but instead just let the tricks flow like I always do in my old routines. Damn waiting times and all its effects! The fact that I cool down extremely quickly after warming up and can't stay warmed up for long, is actually quite foreshadowing for Saturday, for reasons I will tell you guys later.
So, my turn came and I was quite nervous. Not because of the fact that I'm about to perform (Rao knows how many live performances I have done before! I should be an expert by now), but because of the fact that, like I've mentioned, I've been sitting for such a long time that I have completely cooled down. So I started slow, doing some upper combos, involving me moving the ball around the upper body, and then sitdowns, I kept doing lower tricks (the ones where you do ATW and such aka. footbag style fs football) the latest because it's always the part that required the most warming up to do, and it paid off. For the entirely of the routine, I only made one minor mistake.
Then, I did something so impulsive I didn't know it could work at all! After doing a 2 and a half minute long fs football routine, I thought I would introduce people to some footbag as well, since none of the PSU club members could come and demonstrate footbag due to the fact that they all had to stay home to await the arrival of the footbaggers from New York, Michigan and Canada(!). So, I took the floor and talked to the people a bit about footbag, explaining the reason why none of the footbag guys from PSU could come, and then literally start putting my Lavers on for 5 seconds and grab my bag. I don't know what happened after that because it was all a blur, but watching back from the footage it looks like I did a 15 ish long string, bailed out to kicks 2 times, but got a Magellan and 2 Pixie Legovers in there. I almost ended the short routine with an eclipse, except that it falls out of my hands when I was trying to handcatch (which is, again, very foreshadowing for Saturday - the fact that I missed an Eclipse!)

So I was happy that I rep both sports well, took my bow, and was done for the day (or so I thought). The actual footage of the performance can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgb_78hAOm4

So after the performance, as I was about to take the bus to go see Captain America: the Winter Soldier (which I have heard countless reviews said to be really good), I called Ryan to tell him that I won't be able to get to the Shred Haus to see everyone until about 11 P.M. Ryan, however, dropped a bomb on me saying that all members of the Shred Haus are going to Rec Hall to kick! So... Winter Soldier or shred... that is the question... to go see Winter Soldier is to relax and enjoy myself after a hard day of working and kicking, but that would mean letting everyone kick at Rec alone! I couldn't do that! So, after a moment (1 second) of very hard thinking, I finally decided that I would watch Winter Soldier... another day, and walked towards Rec Hall to kick.

After some confusing moments in deciding where the shredding's going to take place, I met up with everyone at the side area of the main gym in Rec Hall, and I got to met everyone again after so long. It was quite an exciting moment because I got to see how much everyone has improved since Jamps III and East Coast. The level has, in statistical term, significantly increased (with p <<<<<<0.05 and an alpha of 0.05)! So many cool stuff were hit that hour. Jim Penske, of course, blew my mind with his "usual" runs of multiple 5 and 6 add level tricks like nothing, occasionally pulling out Beasts and runs of more than 5-6 Fearless like nobody's business. Nick has improved a ton as well. His form was looking much better, and his runs are now longer.In fact, every circle I went, people has had some new stuff to show, and it was quite an amazing time.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that I have already kicked 2 hours on that day, I soon felt tired, and thus said goodbye to everyone early to go back home, upload the video of the performance and then take my good night's sleep.

Jamps is coming tomorrow, and it's going to be perfect... or is it?

Stay tuned for part 2!

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 06 Apr 2014 22:03

If there was ever a video that made me want to get into freestyle football, it was this one right here. I seriously might.

EDIT: I just went through some of your blog and videos for a few minutes, pretty great, you're funny dude! mad skillz brah. I loved the sound effect on the "THE" for your barrage. LOLOL! AND the "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU" on thirty juggles. awesome! okay, peace.

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 07 Apr 2014 07:08

Thank you very much! Even though it's still raining dogs and cats outside, that made my day!

2. Day 1 - Saturday April 5th, 2014

I woke up at 9, a very rare thing for me on Saturdays. I guess it was the Noradrenaline, because I was driven to go to the Event Site (South Gym in Rec Hall) 2 hours earlier than the time when the competition actually started (at 12:00 noon). So I did. Climbing on the bus at 9:47 A.M, I suddenly remembered that I didn't have anything for breakfast! Why was I not made anything for me to eat when there were plenty of food in the house? I didn't even know, and I kept calling myself stupid on that. Fortunately for me, there was a stop near a local store next to a gas station, so I came into the store and bought myself 6 chicken nuggets. "Chicken nuggets? Good job Khoa... There goes the balance diet..." but after a little bit of thinking, I told myself not to worry, because even though those were empty calories, that's exactly what I need! Empty calories so that I can survive today without eating much. So, I ate only 2 of these which should last me past 12:00 noon, and then proceeded to come to main event site.

It was 10:15 when I finally got to South Gym. I was surprised when I found out that people were still there playing basketball, because I thought we have reserved the whole thing and now it should be empty, especially on a weekend such as this. But then it suddenly made total sense: the event only happened from noon, so the room probably was reserved only from noon anyway. The important thing was to find myself some place to practice in this... this squalor. The good thing was that both freestyle football and footbag require very little space to practice on, so I found a corner, put my stuff down, and begin practicing... freestyle football! What? Shouldn't I be practicing footbag? Yes, that was true. But on the other hand, I still needed to complete my quota for fs football for that day (2 hours). Thus, the sooner I can get it out of the way the better, because I would be doing freestyle footbag for the next 5 hours after that. Furthermore, I would be doing a lot of dexing with the ball when doing lowers, and thus my legs will not be that unready for footbag after. So I went ahead and started the football training: I did 10 good repeats of 3 x ATWs on flip side (which took me a total of about 30 tries... still a lot of training ahead on this, I told myself), then I began to do basic combos: ATW - HTW - HTW - ATW (translation: ATW - legover - legover - ATW, only done with a ball), ATW - HTW - half ATW - ATW (ATW - legover - pixie - ATW)... and then I tried to link them together. The highlight of that session was me doing a 15 contact combo with the ball. I haven't been doing lowers lately due to my juggling problem, and this gave me a lot of hope for the time to come.

I was beginning to start working on my sitdowns when I noticed Ivan, Ryan, and Jim P. entering the gym, so I joined up with them, and helped a bit on setting up the event site, which consists of a table and all the audio stuff on top of it, as well as Ivan's computer and his notepad, in which detailed the exact layout for Circles (Intermed. and Open), as well as combos for Requests.

The warm up for competition had officially begun.

Next: The actual competition, and the story of how I got out of Intermediate Circles in the first round... LOL

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 08 Apr 2014 19:29

Day 2 - Saturday April 5th, 2014 (continued)

After a while, everybody began to flood into South Gym. Only in 20 minutes the number of people in there has increased from 5 to about more than 20, and even more are going in. "This was insane!" I told myself. I took off my soccer shoes, put on my incredibly worn down Lavers, and began to warm up. After a while, Anton B. was getting himself there as well, so I gave him the picture of Goku in Super Saiyan 3 form that I drew the other night because I knew he was a fan of Dragonball Z. Unknown to him, at the back of that picture I also drew a sketch of the New 52 Superman, because in another topic we discussed with each other on Facebook, Anton was saying how Goku can beat Superman easily and stuff, so I decided to do that just to troll him a little bit! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Dante Diotallevi was also there, and I suprised him by walking to him and ID him exactly first try. He turned out to be a very cool guy and even invited me into a circle with him. Wow! This was why footbag and freestyle football are so awesome, I thought! A complete pro could ask you to be in a circle with him even when you had like 1/100 of his skill, and you both would have a good time even that. That was why I loved this sport way more than any organized sport out there, and I thought it would be best if it stayed this way forever!

The number of people had become easily 30 after this happened, and thus I warmed up along side Dante and Goerge Hayward (a friend of me at PSU) with basic strings: Mirage - Legovers, Clipper - Clipper, Butterfly - Mirage BS, Butterfly - Paradox Mirage BS, alongside with my Pixies, which is always my weapon of choice, and Eclipses. I suprised even myself when I pulled off a string ending with Pixie Eclipse so perfectly. "Yep! Today would be my day!" I thought to myself...

I couldn't be more wrong.

After switching circles a couple times and meeting a lot of cool people (including - but not limited to - Ianek R., Cassy T. - regretably not for long, which was quite a shame for me :(, Alex from Toronto...) I sat down on the ground to steady myself for the circle competitions. From the corner of my eye I spotted someone small doing butterfly, and I insinctively looked over. It was a small dude that I immediately recognized, but the thing I did not expect was how consistent he was. The computer in my head was going: "Nathan Bonslaver, Nick P.'s student, last video shown he was a good Tiltless player, even managed to pull out a Ripwalk at the end. No record on his level after that, even though on Facebook he had been updating the drills he was doing, one of which looked pretty cool. Caution! There were only 3 other people you knew who was like that: Vasek Klouda, Jim Penske and Tom Folan (*), and you knew what each of them could do in competitions, even at that age!". I was trying to ignore it completely, but I could not help noticing the guy pulling out Butter - Same Butter - Far Butter - Same Butter strings so flawlessly, and in my head, believe it or not, I subconciously developed a fear of the little man! What if he would be placed in a circle with me, and he did that? I can't do that, not even close. I can do Pixies, but even if that was the case, that was 4 3 adds in a row, and he was doing it so flawlessly it looks like he wasn't even trying. I could either do 4 infinities (which was like asking me to do Alpine Nemesis... yep I'm that bad that Infinities!) or 4 Pixie tricks to equalize that. Even then, as I was trying to shake the irrational phobia out of my head, I could feel it creeping in, making me less sure of myself, making me consider taking more risks, more than I could ever afford to take...

That was when Ivan announced the start of the Intermediate Circles competition.

The first circle was Ben, Mark, and April. April had been improving significantly lately, she had master Osis in such a short time it was very impressive. She also mastered a lot of the basics, able to do legovers and ATWs very consistenly, as well as insides and clippers. The thing she could do with her ankle crank was incredible! I mean Dragon wrap to Doof... who the heck did that? (except Nick Landes the Yoga Master that is!) However, as impressive as those were, I didn't think she would beat either Mark or Ben. "Poor April!" I thought... this was her first competition. I wished she would not be discouraged with competitions no matter what happened up there! She had a great future ahead of her. :wink:

As I predicted, even though Ben started off a bit shaky, he managed to gain a foothold right away in the second round. Mark was doing his routine with very long strings containing Butters and Osii, and April was doing very well as well, at one point almost pulling out a Dragon wrap to Doof, which received a huge reaction from the crowd. However, as the round was ending, I immediately knew in my head: Ben and Mark would be the ones qualifying!

Next circle came, and it was: Nathan, Kat, and Khoa! My heart almost stopped... "No... This couldn't be possible! Anyone but that guy! Okay Khoa... you gotta keep this together... you were doing perfect Pixies in warm up, and any of his 4 add he could pull, you can always equalize that with Pixie Eclipse, a 4 add more impressive looking than any of the conventional ones, so even if he pulled a Ripwalk up there, you can always get a Pixie Eclipse to win!"

Thinking that, and I stepped up. After doing a couple of warm up runs, I felt a bit warmer, even though my legs had previously became all cold because of the first round sitting there doing next to nothing. So first string was on me. I started off with the simplest strings: Mirage - Legover, and began to get my first 10 safe moves. After that, I did my first Pixie Legover and, feeling strong, pulled out at least one Butter - Pdx Mir, and another Pixie trick I believe. I had to bail to toe stall one time, but I finished up the string almost getting a Whirl. It was a good long string, and I felt very strong and good when I finally passed it off to Kat. She did one of her strings, and ending with some toe tricks, which I thought was quite impressive, because she had to really worked hard at those tricks and I knew it first hand, so it was awesome when she hit these tricks. Then it was Nathan turn. He actually trip this turn with like a 5 tricks run or something, so I thought to myself: "May be it might not be as severe as I thought anymore". However, when he was doing his string, I was running the computer in my head to find out what I would do next. "Okay..." it said "You have exhausted your normal repetoir of tricks in your first round, may be you should go for a Pixie Eclipse just to solidify it, because if you go for anything else it would feel repetitive!". Good idea, I thought, because I could always get that pass back and tried something else if that went wrong! Besides, what could be wrong with that? I had done this trick to END STRINGS! It should be as easy as breathing for me now! And the bag was passed to me after that. I went for Pixie Eclipse... and dropped it immediately after that! I could not believe it. I got to the Eclipse part, but for some reason the bag did not fly up even remotely close to straight. It flew off to the side! "How? How did that happen... This doesn't make sense... How could I fail it, it should be so easy..." These thought kept running on my mind as I received the pass back from Kat. "Okay" the computer said "Tone it down! Do something you know you can get easily! Do an Eclipse - it would still be cooler than most 3 adds, and you have string this tricks like 1000 times, you have string 2 of them! You have done 3 Eclipses! You have done this trick WITH A FREAKING BALL! What could possibly go wrong?" I thought. I tried Eclipse.

The trick went perfectly, but after the bag left my foot, I could sense that it would go to the side again. "HOW? No matter, retrieve it. Keep the bag at all cost!" but it was too late. It had already landed about 4 feet on my left side. A mere 4 feet... that was the distance between success and failure. Suddenly my blood ran cold, my heart beat became so slow I thought it would stop at any moment. "I have flunked it!" I thought "I have forfeited this round... out of sheer stupidity and dumb luck!".

I could not recall the moment I passed the bag up to Kat, but watching her next string made my heart went even slower. As if fueled by my recent failure, both Kat and Nathan upped their game and did amazingly in the 2nd round! Kat did a close to 20 contact string containing a whole bunch of Butterflies and Pdx Mirages, and Nathan did the thing I knew he would destroy me with: Butter - same Butter - far Butter - same Butter. At that point, I could not think rationally anymore. The third round for me went by like a blur, but I think I could still make out that I did a close to 10 contact strings contained mostly Tiltless stuff. I passed it off to Kat again and she and Nathan both did mediocrily in this round. I remember Nathan failing a Blur... "Yes!" the computer told me "Now if you can pull off a 4 add to begin a Tiltless string, you WILL get through this round. You can't do Pixie Eclispe, so what else can you do? Dimwalk? YES! Dimwalk. Relatively safe trick to do. You hit this midstring. You hit it to END STRINGS! You end your freaking Pixie Bronze with it! DO IT!" I obeyed.

However, as the set was going up I knew it would be impossible for me to hit the full trick! The set was way too high! I needed it to be enough to get the butterfly, NOT TO FREAKING DUCK IT! No matter, just do the butterfly! I did... and failed it because the dex was too low, it hit the bag when it was coming down, and send it flying to the side. As Kat passed me back the bag I made the last ditch attempt to get a decent string out of this round. I started off with what should have been easy for me: Butterfly - Far Legover. However, as if on some kind of sick joke, after doing the legover the bag was unstable on the toe stall and I ended up dropping it, again! On a butterly - far legover... I knew right then that it was over... That I have lost... lost because I failed the tricks I was always training to do, which turned out to be turncoats when I needed them the most. I would be the one to go out in this circle. Nathan subsequently did a perfect Blur, which was like salt in the wound for me... At my most needed moment, the tricks I have been doing for so long had abandoned me, and now it was over.

It was funny... Even as Ivan announced who went to the next round, I was still hoping I might have a chance. Even though I missed 2 rounds, the length of the first and the third might save me, and I would end up advancing, and be better in the next round. And my hope, as small as a candle in a Pacific storm, was completely snuffed out when the final result was announced.

I lost... It was over...

Next: Recovery and Camera work!

Note: (*) Tom Folan: a very young freestyle football player (or used to be - he's growing up now, and fast too) you did some crazy freestyle combos, even when he was 14,15.