FuteBlaug (PSU)

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: FuteBlaug (PSU)

Post by C-Fan » 02 Oct 2014 18:45

Great meeting you in person finally!

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 04 Oct 2014 23:08

Derek: Yeah! I personally like clipper tricks but your tyrannical toe game is terrific.

Ken: It was great to meet you in the flesh as well! Your flashy style and trick selection both are just nuts to see in person.

Hello!

I am pleased to say that my post-jam dysphoria has come to an end. I managed to get out to a session a few days ago but didn't really push myself. The session was mainly Andrew, Ivan, and I circle hacking. It was relaxing to have a nice, casual kick after a weekend of trying my best. I want to give a big thanks to Ivan for doing the camera work for the jam. I have showed a bunch of my non-footbag friends my first ever routine and they all seem to like it.

Highlights from first session of the week:
-Smear B2b (new, footed on flip)

Today:

Today was the first session I attended in the squash courts. This was disappointing since it means that there will be few, if any, outside sessions before white shit is all over the ground. Ugh, the dusty, wooden floors are NOT ideal for kick. I have actually be executing spins in a more controlled fashion (by staying on my toes and stepping towards the spin rather than just pivot on my plant foot.) I tried a spin in the squash court and realized why Nick is always complaining about the floors there.

The negative feelings were replaced with a strange sense of nostalgia as State College is cold during most of the school year and the largest portion of our sessions are in the squash courts. As for the spinning, I will try my best to view it as a challenge. For example, the toe walls on lavers held back my pixie progression. I asked someone (Ivan or Nate?) about modding the bottom eyelets to which he said, "You could do that, or you could just get better at pixies." I didn't touch the eyelets and feel as though my pixies benefited. I will try to be patient and view spinning on a dusty, hardwood floor as a similar challenge.

As the session progressed, my post-jam period of taking it easy seemed to pay off. I was on point today. I felt absolutely great about footbag and got way too excited. Post-session, we got food and then chilled at shredhaus. This was nice. I got to talk with friends, stitch a bag, start another one, and have a few beers.

Highlights from today:
-Pixie ss dyno (new, strong side only, first five, yay)
-Symple far osis x2 (strong only)
-Symple far osis > far osis BS
-A few ducks that went quack quack
-Catwalk BS
-Flying toe stalls BS (for Hogan)
-Footed phoenix twice then gave up
-Tried Tousani (freestyle football trick which involves a pixie ss muted zoid kick. [if I remember correctly] Khoa gave me a nice, little intro to the trick.)
-Footed GYBAS (I'm decent at crispy torque so this shouldn't take me too long)
-Blur BS (first time on flip)
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 05 Oct 2014 17:06

I've been stitching a lot lately.

Also had a solo session today. It's been a while since I've had one of those. I originally set out to practice a few basics, focus on far pickup and then give pdx whirl a few tries. I am very afraid of losing my pixies so I practice at least a little bit on each side every session. Pixie practice turned into footing phoenix yet again turned into toe ducking practice turned into an hour long session of just ducking. It was fun. Ducking is fun. Ducking would be more fun if I were to get better at it. Ughhh, I am spreading myself so thinly lately. I just want to be good at everything. Well, I guess I can count ducking toes, clippers, and butters as basics...

Highlights:
-Ducking clipper b2b (not new but did it a lot [record is still, unfortunately, two])
-Ducking toes (lots, not new)
-Toe ducking butterfly (BS, new on each side)
-Inside ducking clipper BS (new, thought it would be a lot harder)
-I keep barely missing phoenix...soon
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 05 Oct 2014 17:53

krustykrakk wrote:Ughhh, I am spreading myself so thinly lately. I just want to be good at everything.
I know those feels. There's a bit of a trade off between variety and consistency, at least at the beginning. I prefer a training method that involves practising a wide variety of concepts for a short period of time each session. I think in terms of muscle memory this is ideal because you move on to the next concept before getting fatigued and possibly allowing your form to get sloppy.

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 06 Oct 2014 14:39

Cass: That's basically my approach. :)

Here are video of me competing in ECFC 2014. I did semi well in my intermediate qualifier (managed to upset a food poisoned Breakdown,) and won intermediate routines....then played very unsatisfactorily for my own standards in final circle. Hungry, dry mouth, sore, tired, new shoes, excuses, excuses, excuses. I got shitty Chinese food afterward so all is well.

Intermediate circle qualifier

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waSKt5v386A[/youtube]

First place intermediate routine

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MjeDVg1iR8[/youtube]

Intermediate circle final

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rglex4jGAfQ[/youtube]
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 07 Oct 2014 16:02

Yo yo yo!

Yo, son.

Check this guff. I played today with lavers on my feet. The session, today, was much needed. I had a stressful day at work. Let's leave it at that. I went to the session with a cool link in mind that I could hit for April. Well, I hit it first try less than five minutes before she came...oops. I had a good overall session but have been lacking in the stamina department lately. I have been hung up on BSOSing specific tricks/links with tiltless/guiltless shred as filler. I will most likely take the day off tomorrow but then wish to come back with basics drilling. Hopefully, I can beat some personal records!

Highlights:
-Special link for April (dimwalk > dyno) (new, not sure which side)
-Calf roll > ducking far clipper BS (new, super stoked about this one...a LOT)
-Calf roll freeze BS (on inside surface, new, hard, had to end with my legs almost sideways)
-RollOsis BS (new, very sketchy on flip)
-New Roll! (toe set to ss straight leg front of the thigh > roll down to toe box)
--This new full leg toe roll is tricky but can be done by setting, immediately straightening the leg, guiding the bag onto the upper thigh, then VERY slowly lowering the still straight leg down as the bag rolls onto the laver, over the laces, and into the toe box.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 10 Oct 2014 04:31

I suck at footbag. I will be leaving this blog alone for a while until I learn basics. Sorry.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 10 Oct 2014 07:02

You are smoking crack. Work 'dem basics, and come back more baller than ever.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 10 Oct 2014 07:56

Derek wrote:You are smoking crack. Work 'dem basics, and come back more baller than ever.
something like that. dude, you just made intermediate circle finals and won intermediate routines.

remember when Nick's blog was DSNY? did he suck? NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! you either, but I'm a fan of you schooling the basics, thats for sure. :D

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 11 Dec 2014 16:00

Check-in time. I have been working basics and still suck. Oh well, that just means I haven't schooled them enough. I still kick regularly and I am no longer that tired from work, so sessions are a very frequent occurrence during the week.
I am attending nyj and will be bringing a few new bags.

Today's session highlights:
-1000 clippers (500 each side, only counted ones that had a usable set afterward)
-Cooled down with inside b2b x120
-Warmed up with atw/ orbit drills suicide style

I have never smoked crack, not even once.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 11 Dec 2014 19:19

krustykrakk wrote:
I have never smoked crack, not even once.
I call shenanigans

PS: You don't suck
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 13 Dec 2014 23:40

That's dedication, dude. That just proves how badly you want to get good. If you want it bad enough, you'll get it. Reading posts like this make me KNOW that you're going to get exactly how good you want. It's so normal to think you suck at footbag. I understand why you say that, because I also constantly tell myself I suck. Honestly though, I think telling yourself you suck is really helpful to a certain extent. It's like, if you're never totally satisfied with your game, you will just keep pushing. As long as you say, "I suck, but tomorrow I WILL get a little bit better." Dave always thought he "sucked", and that was a lot of his drive, I think. As long as you keep a positive attitude about that and just keep it in your head, constantly pushing you to get better and better, I think that sort of thing can be a big self-push.

But, as Derek said.. you don't suck to us. The only way you can "suck" is if you do nothing to try to get better, which clearly is not the case. Drilling 1000 Clippers was very surprising to hear from you in one session. I've literally done that before back when I was trying to break into Guiltless. I think it's good to do that for a few sessions (2 or 3), but after those sessions, and you feel it's going to be good enough to use both sides midstring, without dropping, you should start picking a few drills that you can hit with Clippers, like that drill you mentioned in Kyle's blog, and the one Kyle hit. Those are both really good. If you do those and some other similar level drills, concentrating on those specific drills for a few weeks, that will really tackle whatever inconsistencies you have.

Hope this helped.

Also, I can't help but think that you stopped posting in your blog for a while because of that talk we had. I really hope I didn't offend you with anything I said. I was just trying to light a fire in your game. It seems like that worked, judging by your intense drills, which is great. But I just hope there are no hard feelings between us. I only said that stuff because I am just really fucking excited to see you get really good. You're always fun to watch, because your unusual trick selection is great, but when you're at a high level of shred, man, I feel like I'll have a phat stack of your videos downloaded and just be watching them when I'm bored or something haha

Anyway, I'll see you soon for New Years Jam!!! Peace homie.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 15 Dec 2014 07:31

You might be thinking to yourself "how can David Clavens possibly think he sucks?" Video proof:
That video makes me laugh every time.

If I were to give advice on this topic, I wouldn't.
Last edited by Nathan8 on 16 Dec 2014 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 15 Dec 2014 09:47

The fact that an elite player got to such a level by telling themselves that they suck does not mean that it’s the healthiest or best way to approach the game. I think if you spoke with Jim you would get a different perspective.

There definitely needs to be a drive to get better. However, I think that it’s important to also enjoy the level that you are currently at in order to have fun and get the most out of the game. I don’t tell myself I suck. I tell myself I can do it. Then I do. Hard work pays off. You don’t need to put yourself down in order to get those rewards.

You don’t suck at all, Ben. You have great style and trick selection and it’s only getting better!

Stay positive and I’ll see you soon my friend! :D

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 15 Dec 2014 10:03

Cass wrote:The fact that an elite player got to such a level by telling themselves that they suck does not mean that it’s the healthiest or best way to approach the game. I think if you spoke with Jim you would get a different perspective.

There definitely needs to be a drive to get better. However, I think that it’s important to also enjoy the level that you are currently at in order to have fun and get the most out of the game. I don’t tell myself I suck. I tell myself I can do it. Then I do. Hard work pays off. You don’t need to put yourself down in order to get those rewards.

You don’t suck at all, Ben. You have great style and trick selection and it’s only getting better!

Stay positive and I’ll see you soon my friend! :D
Well said Cass. I'm looking forward to getting a sesh with both of you. :D

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 15 Dec 2014 11:42

Wow, I didn't expect all the responses. I meant "sucking" in the way that I know I can improve a lot more. I feel good about footbag. I am happy that it is how I spend my few free hours each week.

Nick: I will be honest. You hurt my feelings more than make me want to get better. I work for me, not you. With that being said, I know you meant well and will fire back: your spins are sloppy. Oooooohh shit. I'm over it. See you soon.

Nate: even bap players drill tiltless. Being a high level just means that I can get more reps for drills. This improves not only consistency but stamina as well.

Cass: totally agree. Personally, I imagine a personal trainer in my subconscious who is sometimes hard on me, even during jogs. I can't wait to kick with you, soon!

Paul: yeah! See you soon! Also, how's your prizey bag? I still miss it lol

Derek: is crack like a super coach?
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Pipe-bomb!

Post by krustykrakk » 17 Dec 2014 06:30

Oh, boy!

Nathan Pipenberg is home. We are scheduled to kick today!! I have not seen this guy in months. This is a big deal for everyone at PSU. I am currently clearing my SD cards and am getting my camera ready!

April is good at cooking/baking.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 17 Dec 2014 18:11

Ok so maybe my dumb story sounded dumb. Sorry about that. If it sounded like I don't think you think you should drill tiltess, that's not what I meant. I meant to say that you should never stop drilling tiltless... but eventually... you should try something new. But if what your looking for is "more reps of drills," then my ideas wouldn't work anyway. So.. Kick bags. You're already good, you kicked my butt at Jamps, and I know for a fact your getting better!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 18 Dec 2014 15:00

How about some recent video, ya bum?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 18 Dec 2014 16:55

Sorry for my bluntness, Nathan. I understand your point and even gave some repeat drills a few tries in the past two days. I liked pixie ss clipper > near mirage rpt. It'd be nice to either have a stepping set in there or even a DLO but I just learned DLO recently and haven't practiced it at all and never ever work on my stepping set. I know stepping ss clipper, schmoe, and stepping ss pickup would help but I am close to pixie bronze so my focus is weak pixie.

Yes, Mr. S. I am planning on getting a teensy more footage then releasing a PSU video sometime after the Christmas Calendar. Well, it's either that or I'll just post some personal clips from said footage here. I have some Pipenfootage from yesterday (after he hadn't kicked in a month) but didn't even bring my camera today. I have two weeks to get some frames of this guy and intend to film a bunch more sessions.

I played better today than yesterday.

Highlights:
-Outside calf roll (from outside of knee to outside of foot set) B2B...WHATTTTTT?! Wow. I am super stoked to have done this but am still very inconsistent with this particular roll.
-Symple legover x3
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?