Set Phasers To Love Me! [April's Footblog (PSU)]

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Set Phasers To Love Me! [April's Footblog (PSU)]

Post by Cass » 25 Aug 2014 02:59

Nice post! Just killin' it with those fairies :D

The apartment is nice! The carpeted floor looks much more forgiving than the hardwood at the old place :P

I like all the hack shoes under the bed.

EDIT: Man I'm a pro at accidentally taking top posts. Luckily I have a whole library of candid photos of footbag friends. It's not creepy, I swear...

:lol:

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Aug 2014 03:50

You're doing great on the fairies, really learning lots of new tricks very quickly. It's a set that a lot of people don't focus on too much, so it will really stand out. Nice apartment too.

PrunusAberration
Shredaholic

Post by PrunusAberration » 25 Aug 2014 08:30

Man, I am extremely jealous of the footbag scene over there. It sounds so inviting and plentiful. Are apartments expensive over there? it's horrible here in Chicago.

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 25 Aug 2014 15:51

Cassy: Thanks! - Check out today's highlights ;D
And yeah! I even considered myself sleeping on the floor since the bed's tiny.
And yeah yeah! Shoes :) I think there are still some that aren't even in the picture. i.e., the lavers Ben kicks in, and ones that are hiding in the second row of shoes even more under the bed.
And thanks for the picture :)

Daniel: Thank you, thank you! I like fairies, and I do agree that I think they stand out more. :)

Andre: It is very nice to have the PSU crew :) And that it's based around a college setting.
As for apartment prices, the studio we're in right now is $856 with all utilities included and it's furnished. I think an average apartment rental price (that's not a studio apartment) is around $500, though depending on if you want to live in downtown/close to school and stuff it's more expensive, and farther out, it isn't as expensive (more naturally).

First day of school!
I was very anxious. The school site was very slow since everyone and their mothers were using it all at the same time. I didn't get to print out my syllabi, but it was forgivable.
I found out that Russian is going to be very tough. I think the professor will be nice, at least at first, but for a majority of the class, she spoke in Russian and I had a Kel moment.

After it was all over (Russian was my last class for the day), I headed back to my apartment to change for the session, as well as make myself a quick lunch (PB&SJ). Then I went to the session, and found Aidan, then Ryan, then Kat stopped by but didn't have time to kick, then Khoa also came, and Ivan and Ben. :D

So, fairies are getting easier and better :) Yay!
In circle, I was hitting some mid-string fairies (just Nallegam), as well as starting off with that too. I feel like I was just decent in circle, but I also worked on fairies off to the side when a lot of people came by and tried to hack (sorry, I'm just really bad at hacking the sack).

Highlights!:
:arrow: Nallegam bsos (not new) x2
:arrow: Fairy ss Mirage bsos (there was two toe stalls in between - wish it could've been something better but it'll do for now) - So, Cassy! Challenge completed! Yay!
:arrow: Strong side Fear (Fairy Mirage)
:arrow: Ivan got some pictures of me looking at things (bag and keys)

Disclaimer: From what Ivan said/implied, those pictures are actually from doing fairies with them.
I might post them later, when Ivan posts them, or something. :)
Last edited by bluevampire101 on 25 Aug 2014 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 25 Aug 2014 16:00

Nice, You completed those quick! Props on Fear too! That's one of my favourite tricks at the moment.

Fairy ss butter is a fun/stylish trick to try.

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 26 Aug 2014 05:10

Welcome to Goodburger home of the goodburger may I take your order? Grape nose boy, BLOOBITY BLOOBITY BLOOBITY BLOOBITY. one of my favorite movies lol

PrunusAberration
Shredaholic

Post by PrunusAberration » 26 Aug 2014 05:59

April, that sounds like a lot but then again it all depends on the location. For example, my friend lived in down town Chicago and I think she was paying $1200 for about the amount of space as you and I think it included furniture as well. However rent can get even more expensive depending on the location within the city and of course, it gets better the farther you go out.

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 26 Aug 2014 14:23

flabbles.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 27 Aug 2014 15:42

Cassy: Yay! Thanks! I think Fear is interesting. I need to get used to it. But it makes me feel like I'm doing Atomsmasher... except, it's Fear.
As for Fairy ss Butter, I tried it today but did not hit it. It is weird. I need to practice ss Butters.

Paul: I will probably disappoint you by saying that I don't think I've ever seen the movie before... But Ben has it! So perhaps we'll watch it sometime (soon).

Andre: Yeah, I don't know. Money.

Ben: boop

I am looking at fairies.

Today was a good session. I felt a bit weird. Perhaps my legs were tired or something. School has been alright, though I've still been stressed. I'm sure it'll pass soon though, or at least I'll kind of hate myself through the semester and just live with it. Oh well. One more year.

Highlights:
:arrow: Pretty cool decently-lengthed string with some sort of fairy trick in it
:arrow: Mid-string Fairy trick
:arrow: Fairy far Pickup (strong side)
:arrow: Fairy ss Legover (strong side)
:arrow: Neo Set bs! (NEW!)
:arrow: Neo ss Pickup (strong side)
:arrow: Neo ss Guay (strong side)

And I think that's pretty much it. I've been practicing flip Fairies too, but just haven't hit anything new. I'm getting decent/consistent with Fairy ss Pickup bs.

Excited for East Coasts! :)
April Tou

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 27 Aug 2014 19:51

To fine-tune your Fairy sets, try practicing Fairy muted op Clippers or Fears. Those are tricks where you really need a good set to get the downtime concept. Sounds like Fairies have been fun for you. I think if you worked your Pixie sets alongside your Fairy sets, you would be strengthening both of them at the same time by doing less work than drilling all Fairies, then all Pixies later on. Just my opinion.

Looking forward to see your improvements at ECFC! Should be a fun time
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 30 Aug 2014 08:27

Thanks, Nick. Yay! East Coasts! :D Soooon. Also, improvements from you as well! :)

So, I got these in the mail yesterday :)

Lots of kick. My legs have been pretty tired. Taking a break for the day or two, and hopefully I shall be back and better. Yesterday, I tried hitting Fairy ss Mirage b2b, but didn't quite get it... Almost... Soon...

Nothing really highlight worthy as of now though, but I am making strawberry cupcakes as little tokens of gratitude for all the people who helped Ben and me move. Also, for little gifts for PSUFC for getting through the first week of classes, plus reunion!

I am excited for ECFC and will continue to train for intermediate circles :D I am also excited to meet everyone! Less than a month now!

In other news, classes seem to be fine. Most of the stress has gone since I now know what to expect for my classes (more or less) and I don't have to worry about a course watchlist anymore. My classes that I have now are the ones that I will be having for the semester. I also am excited to schedule for the spring, then I would only have to register for one more semester and school will basically be over for me :)
April Tou

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 01 Sep 2014 16:40

Today, Ben and I got a chinchilla. Fun!

I also made cupcakes to thank everyone, as well as for kick people for the session today. But no one showed up, except Ryan. So, they missed out on this:

At the session today:
It was very humid
I've been hitting Fear (strong side) more consistently-ish
I hit Pickup>Fairy ss Pickup b2b

During today's session, I also came up with some goals I would like to hit sometime soon:
Fear>Fairy ss Pickup>Fairy ss Mirage (Perhaps a random Sick 3) - eventually bs
Guay>Neo ss Guay
Legover>Fairy ss Pickup b2b
Legover>Fairy ss Legover b2b
Pickup>Fairy ss Legover b2b
Reverse Guay>Neo ss Guay b2b

Some will be easy, others will not.

One last picture of chinchilla.

April Tou

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 01 Sep 2014 16:48

I'm excited to meet your chinchilla. I've never chilled with a chinchilla before..

Please keep it alive long enough for me to hang out with it.

Some good drill ideas there. I should do more neo stuff. Such fun.

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 05 Sep 2014 18:55

Cassy: So far, so good with the chinchilla (Gary). It's been a week and he's still alive. At this rate, you'll be able to see him whenever you come down again :D I think the only thing is the test of leaving him alone for East Coasts (which we'll be providing him with plenty of food and water), then perhaps Michigan New Year's Jam (not sure how long that will be and if we'll be able to find someone to come in and feed him, maybe).
As for drills, thanks! :) Yes for neo. Fun fun. It's something I don't think I see that often if at all.

In other news, it's been about a week since I've kicked, sadly. School's been hectic this week and I've been putting off shredding/practicing/etc. because I don't want to fall behind already (as it's only the second week of school). I plan to kick tomorrow with everyone (the club), so that's cool/good/etc. I'm probably going to be a bit rusty, but it's still a good amount of time before East Coasts, and I also don't want to be too distracted by footbag to not do schoolwork (and vice versa).
It's also been a bit stressful with all the different adjustments - moving/settling in the new apartment, getting a new pet (chinchilla), and a new school year/semester. Plus, there's the weather - hot and humid.

Non-footbag-related:
Lately, I've been feeling kind of lonely and perhaps a bit depressed. My classes (mostly my multicultural psych class) have been making me think about how I don't feel like I fit in. This girl in my group struck a chord during one of our discussions by mentioning how a majority of the students at Penn State have a sort of spirit that is apparent in State College (as a Penn State student), and if you don't have that sort of spirit, you kind of don't really fit in. That's me, especially exactly how I felt on the Saturday before school started. And that made me start thinking of how I almost never really felt like I ever belonged in any sort of group growing up or felt a connection to people I might have considered friends (I say "might have" not to offend these people, but just because I had a hard time distinguishing what a friend is). I have difficulty keeping in contact with people, and also am just unsure of what to say/do in a long-distance friendship/relationship (even with my family). It also doesn't help that there are a lot of times where I don't feel like talking or making new friends and the like, so even if I see someone I know from a distance, I usually avoid eye contact and pretend I don't see them and continue on wherever.
Ahhhh, downward-spiral.
But really, I think I get along (in life) well enough with the bare necessities of PSUFC, as well as the footbag community. And the whole lonely-depressed thing is just a meltdown-phase that'll blow over soon enough.

To help with that, here is a picture of happy Ben with Gary:

Also, sounds like East Coasts is gonna be a blast because EVERYONE'S* going!

*not EVERYONE, but a lot of people in my book, and perhaps more to come
April Tou

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 06 Sep 2014 01:34

Can I make a long-term request? There's links/drills that just simply look better than the others, undoubtedly. My favourite link concept is Anything Symposium into Anything Atomic, but I have a different one for you, since you're doing Neo. It's:

Pixie SS Guay -> Neo (God Tier: Eggbeater, Intermediate Tier: OP Mirage/OP Butterfly)
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 Sep 2014 02:47

those guay links into neo tricks are quite fun. Definitely worth working on. The great thing about footbag is that the community is fairly open and welcoming, so it's great to feel part of a community, and especially where you have a club where people are doing things together all the time.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 06 Sep 2014 06:42

Hey, you wanna talk "not fitting in at Penn State"? I have the perfect person for you to talk to about this. Hang on, let me go get him...

Hey, I'm Nick Polini and I never ever ever fit in when I went to psu, but I loved it. You have to pride yourself in being different. There are so many things cookie cutter idiots at that school, who think the same, dress the same, even fucking talk the same. You gotta just embrace your difference. Be proud that you're not one of the many many dipshits at that school. Wave your freak flag. Stick out. Let people be pissed that you're "not like them" and don't be ashamed to have no school spirit. Also, Fuck that hick ass Valley girl that said anyone with no spirit doesn't really fit in. Fuck her! That sounds like some dumb girl I always fantasized about slapping in the mouth when they spoke up in class. As a matter of fact, I think I know her.. Was she wearing Ugg boots, a North face jacket, and yoga pants? :P Just know you're better than her, because you are. She couldn't stall a bag on her foot if her life depended on it.

In conclusion, don't be ashamed of who you are just because you don't have school spirit and you don't go to football games or care about any college sports. You should have told her that everyone has their own niche at psu; it may not be the same niche that the brainless majority of the PSU drone children have, but you have a special little niche called PSU Footbag Club. And that's more special than blending in and handing over your brain and assuming a position in the status quo.

Wave your freak flag, go play footbag.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 11 Sep 2014 18:12

Vojta/Nathan (not sure if you prefer one name over another): You got it! I don't think I'll specifically be aiming for this request anytime soon-ish, but I will definitely keep it in mind as I progress. Thanks!

Daniel: Yeah! Neo's cool. It's something to get used to... And thanks! :D Definitely a welcoming community.

Nick: Haha thanks! I mean, it's not only Penn State, but that's no biggie. I definitely have noticed a change in myself when I joined (moreso became comfortable with/around) footbag. I've become a lot more confident and not as self-conscious about myself (even as the rest of the club! - moreso a note to people who don't know me (as well)). In more recent times, I don't mind wearing the minimum that is most efficient for kick, and I don't really care about others seeing me because I'm more focused on kick anyway. :) And if you wanted to talk more about not fitting in, in person, that'd be cool too. (Sometimes talking is easier than explaining through text).

Here is some cold coffee that made a cool picture. If you see it.
I see a monster with its mouth open. Perhaps a Lickatung?

So yeah. Ben and I have been acquiring stuff for our new apartment. Two of those things were filters that they use at typical Vietnamese restaurants to make Vietnamese style coffee. Delicious.

Something I had made recently: Coconut Milk Green Tea Ice Cream

In terms of school, it hasn't been that bad. It's cool because Ivan is now in my Russian class and he sometimes helps me with homework and studying. Very cool.
My other classes are okay. They're not horrible, but they aren't necessarily a walk in the park either. A lot of the time, it's just getting through the class time.
Someone in my philosophy class brought in these cupcakes: Saffron Red Velvet

I suppose I am officially the treasurer of the Penn State Footbag Club. I got to sign stuff and everything.
Something else school-related that's got me excited is that Matt & Kim should be coming up to my school as part of the homecoming event thing. I hear they are very good in concert/live. :D

Footbag-related: I have been kicking, but I haven't been posting so much because I've been feeling meh about kicking. Not that I'm dissatisfied with footbag, but rather because of my legs and stuff and school. I had been trying to break in and kick with my new shoes (lavers) that are size 6.5, but they just feel... different. I guess I'm just not as used to them. Not to mention that my legs have been feeling perhaps tired and/or sore or not as warmed up for the sessions of late. Honestly, it could have been a number of things.

Cute picture of Gary as a side-distraction. He tends to do this cute nose-wiping with his paw. It's perhaps something that you just have to see him do in person.

Continuing on. So, I hadn't been hitting anything new really, and in fact, my strings had decreased in amount. Perhaps because I've been more focused on getting fairy more consistent (plus, it's a nice, fun distraction). Then again, it could still be many other factors.

Another picture of Gary being cute.

Anyways. Today, I kicked with Ben, Khoa, and Andrew, and today was different. Well, obviously different in that I switched back to my size 7 Lavers, got new insoles (I had been switching the same insoles for the two lavers when I did switch between them before, which probably didn't help the insoles at all), and was wearing contacts. Usually, (as of perhaps this past year - or half year) I hadn't had contacts, and only had my glasses which I didn't like to kick in, so when I kick it's been without my glasses. That means I can't see as well, so this session was cool because things were pretty clear :D
So one more time, it could have been a couple of different things that made this session a lot better than ones I've had previously (lately).
Still, I don't think anything new was hit, but I'm just glad that it felt better than its been feeling. I'm excited for East Coasts and have decided that I shall be kicking at East Coasts with my old lavers. What I'm used to :)

One last picture of Gary for this post.

And a side story:
So, I hadn't had an eye exam in like... perhaps two years about. The reason why I had contacts for today's session was because I figured I better be ready for East Coasts, so I went and scheduled an eye exam. I found out also that my new insurance (thanks to Obamacare...?) let me have a discount off of glasses or contacts, so heck yeah, I'm going to take that offer.
Anywho, I forgot how awful testing for glaucoma is. First off, it's weird, yellow sticky liquid that gets put in your eyes. When the optometrist put it in my eyes, I wasn't sure if I was allowed to wipe, so it's just there stinging my eyes... Then, I find that I could wipe, and it makes my eyes feel all weird, and I get this feeling that I might have glaucoma. (This was especially bad the first time because the optometrist first told me I had astigmatism in my right eye, and then prepped me for the glaucoma testing, and I was like: great, I have astigmatism, now I probably have glaucoma too. Mind as well tell me this is the end of the world). After all the tests and stuff (just looking right/left/up/down/etc.), I find out that my eyes are pretty healthy and no glaucoma (at least that's what I assume). So phew.
But yeah! Contacts! I'm looking to get those dailies so I don't have to care for contacts while I'm away at competitions and whatnot (ex: East Coasts, Michigan New Year's Jam, etc. etc.). Plus, they'd just be nice to kick in general, instead of being partially blind basically.

-- End short story --

One last cool thing is that I received the fabric that I purchased from Alf the other day. Awesome! Ben is there for comparison, and posing. :) But we were very pleased with what we got, and a shout out thanks to Alf for being awesome.

[side note: If you notice Ben's hair - he recently got his hair cut by yours truly and it was done with a pair of scissors. This is my third time cutting Ben's hair and I think I'm getting quite good at it. The first time... wasn't the best, and I have learned my lesson because of Ben's bluntness with his opinions/criticisms. But anywho! Now it's good! Plus, Ben just has a lot of hair... His hair grows fast.]
April Tou

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 12 Sep 2014 03:05

Nice post! Ben is looking sassy in that last photo.

Man, I should probably get contacts again too. I've been going without vision correction during shred since USO. Would definitely be nice to have for ECFC.

That green tea icecream looks amazing.

See you in two weeks!! :D

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 12 Sep 2014 04:21

He's a hair farmer like me. I actually didn't recognize him... cuz I don't recognize people well when their hair changes significantly.