The Lord of the Strings: A Footblog of Nathan

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Nathan8
Shredaholic

Re: The Lord of the Strings: A Footblog of Nathan

Post by Nathan8 » 21 Dec 2015 19:12

Thanks Kevin and David! Can someone please explain what "style" is in terms of footbag?

BLLOooog.
I got up at 5 am today, shredded for an hour, cold shower, went to school. Thanks for the suggestion Nathan! Glad I did it, will probably do again.
Nick's video was so well done for the calendar. I loved it.
My video is buns.
I'm not looking for any constructive criticism on this particular video, I know I need practice. But I don't want to tell people that because I'll look like a duchenozzle.
Chem test tomorrow.
UGH and I have to finish that lab.
And I have a trig test tomorrow.

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 21 Dec 2015 19:30

Style is just the way you hit tricks and the way your body moves as you play. Think Lon Smith vs. Ales Zelinka... two great players, two opposing styles. Yours is good, and will only get better. When I had been playing two years, I could barely watch myself on video without wincing. I worked on it a lot and now I'm alright with it.

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 21 Dec 2015 19:43

Ohh ok thanks Nathan!
I never knew if style was
A) Trick selection
B) How you look while doing the tricks

Now I understand it as B, which is cool. I think that "style" really does play a major role in us choosing our favorite players. Mine, based on style, are Vasek, Aleksei, Phil Morrison, Evan, and Cory Allen. And yeah your style was.. different in the beginning Nathan, but now it's very.. how would I describe it? Precise, calculated, practiced, all which are positive.

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 23 Dec 2015 16:27

It's been quite a day.

The last full post I made here was just a me being stressed out post. I had a lot of work to do.

My video for the Christmas calender was released today and it got a pretty good response. In my last full post I said my video was buns. I still think I could have done better, but doing better would have lied about my current skill level. And I said that before I hit Mobius b2b. I hit mobius b2b and all the links in the Penn State shirt last night. The majority of the other content was from the day before yesterday. I had three sessions that day and filmed during each one. The yellow shirt clips are from my 5 am session. All the compliments really made my day, you guys rock :D . I'm going to take two days off now because my hip hurts from doing a bad flip pixie. Jay Boychuk sent me a great message on fb today. I've never talked to him before, so that was the cherry on top of my day. I also had a conversation with Paul before school. Nick also called me this morning before school, which was pretty cool. I will sleep very satisfied tonight.

Notable highlights from the video:
steppping whirl bsos
blurry whirl>ripwalk>ripwalk>blurry whirl>ripwalk>ripwalk>blurriest
scorpian's tail>blink bs
motion>blink bs
blurriest x3 (forgot to put that clip in the video)
mobius b2b
whirling swirl bsos

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Dec 2015 17:33

double spinning into stepping was great as well, that's hard.

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 27 Dec 2015 07:56

Oh yeah, thanks Daniel.
double spinning clipper>ripwalk

Last night I had my first sesh since mobius>mobius a few days ago. My legs feel fresh now but my left hip still hurts from doing a bad flip pixie on Monday. Here are last night's highlights:
reverse swirling symple blender? I think.
spinning butter>blurry whirl rpt
diving butter>blurriest rpt
spinning osis>stepping far osis>symp whirl bs

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 27 Dec 2015 08:24

reverse swirling symple blender
Dayummm! That is an awesome trick!

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 24 Jan 2016 20:25

Thanks Boats, it certainly is uncommon!

I haven't updated this footblog for a month. After my Christmas video I got sick for a couple days. I must have the immune system of a... something has a lazy immune system. Then I was swamped with school work for a week. then it was finals week. but now I'm back at it full speed. Although I didn't play a whole lot in the past month, I walways played in my black lavers to break them in. After practicing in them for a month, yesterday I had a session in my old lavers again and it made a world of difference. I played so much better. Does anyone else have as much trouble as I do adjusting to new shoes?
On another note, I got all new classes on thursday for the semester, so Firday we still weren't doing much. I wore my Quantums to school on firday and played for 20 mins in gym class and 5 mins in civics. Not gonna lie, the witnesses were floored. I have this friend in civics who is kind of into freestyle football, so he understands some tricks and was giving me requests. That was really neat. I pulled off mobius, ripstein, scorps, and a bunch of other cool tricks and long runs for a crowd in gym. And now this girl from my gym class is "interested" in me. Hah. Footbag does get ladies!

Highlights from the past 3 days:
Whirlwind
Spender BS
Stepping Drifter BS
Symp Whirls all over the place
Pixie Muted Swirl

LIFE SECTION:

As you may already be aware, we got a blizzard here in Pennsylvania. Biggest snow I've ever seen. I spent the day clearing it with my dad. He has a Jeep Wrangler with a plow on it and owns apartment buildings. So today I plowed the parking lot of one of the apartment buildings and my grandparents driveway. I learned a lot, it was really cool. There is definitely technique to plowing and there's a reason why the guys with the huge F-350's don't just go around and plow everyone out. Plowing is so rough on your equipment. It's rough on the car's transmission, the salt eats away at the plow, and there is nothing good for your vehicle about plowing. But it's good to have the right equipment for the job, We got around 25 inches of semi-heavy snow and everywhere we went people asked us to plow them out too.I had to get across the yard at the apartment to get to the sidewalk and I was swimming. I couldn't walk if I wanted too. I was swimming in snow.

School was called off tomorrow midday today, so I'm just eating Ritz Crackers and pepperoni sandwiches and updating my footblog. Wooh life!

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 25 Jan 2016 04:40

Good highlights. Will be interesting to see if you hit Montage or Gangsta first. Anyone wants to bet with me? I'd be on the Gangsta side. 8)

Listening to Americans talking about snow is my new favourite thing :D
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 25 Jan 2016 17:36

We're gonna rip it up in my indoor shred chateau whenever you come down. You're getting so good, man. I'm really proud of you. Your tricks are getting really good, now it's all about working on your consistency with some of them. Can't wait to throw down with you soon. Props on the girl who is "interested" in you. Footbag does have it's perks in life ;)
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 26 Jan 2016 14:08

Today I worked on my string length. I was talking to Nick last night and he thinks I need less uptime and more core tricks. I agree. My current game is: Stepping, whirls, and double downs. That's it. That is exactly what I wanted a year and a half ago, but now I see that I need more variety. I tried to add drifters, torques, and rev swirls in this video. I really tried, but as you can see it's still mostly just stepping, whirls, and double downs. When my strings get longer they get less dense and more boring, which is what I want to fix. The video of my strings is as follows:
In this next string that I hit yesterday for Instagram, I didn't care about length and I was just trying to be cool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BA-cd9pPvVd ... nathan_008

Coldplay history: Don't Panic is on Coldplay's debut album "Parachutes" released in 2000

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 26 Jan 2016 19:05

Still a great video. That one Double Down you did was sweet. And the Whirls were nice. Oh and the Stepping was good too. :P

Your game is looking great, man. Keep trying to slip some Drifters, Reverse Swirls (Blinks, Twirls, and Revups!) midrun and your game will be where you want it to be.

I remember you footed Toe Far Blink when we shredded after your talent show performance. You should try to hit some of those and get better at them. I can see those being in your game.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 27 Jan 2016 01:13

Everything looks nice. I've never seen Spin Duck Barfly before and the first Pdx Drifter was smooth.
Try to make your Barrages a bit cleaner, the bag should go around the ankle.

If you want to practice everything at once, just create some really long drills with your new tricks and bail into your old ones, as opposed to bailing into a Down.

Vojta

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Jan 2016 01:59

May I just ask why no image such as this has been posted as yet?

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 28 Jan 2016 18:24

sooo goood. Props on alpine scorps!

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 29 Jan 2016 01:31

Ripstein>Ripwalk

*<™{`<%\®<`»%{®}™#//&"!/#:&; :-)#))3/_+#+!;$"

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 11 Feb 2016 13:13

Thanks for the replies guys :D

I have been practicing a lot recently but I haven't had many bloggable highlights because my focus has been on strings. My strings are ACTUALLY improving and it feels really good. Last night Nick watched me play for 50 minutes over Facebook video chat while he ate noodles. He gave m challenges the whole time. So if these sound-ish, that's because he requested them all.

Spikehammer
Toe far blink bs
gyro rev swirl bs
gyro blink bs
drifter>pdx drifter bs
symp whirl>revup bs
nova bs (symp dlo)

^That was all the new stuff. I also had two good strings and re-hit other stuff.

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 12 Feb 2016 21:07

I've made so much progress in the last three days. I haven't progressed this fast in a long time. I'm also starting to get excited for Jamps!

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 14 Feb 2016 22:54

Hey there, Blog :D

I had a session with a mystery footbag player through facebook video chat tonight. There's a clue in this post about who it is, and you can figure it out if you use your head :wink:

We had a really good session. Mostly went back and forth with strings and tried to hit stuff that we hadn't hit before. Here are my highlights:

Torch-R-Rack (new)
Superfly bs (new on flip)
Shaft bs (new)
Dolomite bs (new)
Cleared Levitating set (Fairy Symposium Swirling Stepping!) (new)

So that was a fun breakthrough session for my Symposium Double Downs. Have a good night!

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 15 Feb 2016 03:03

Nathan8 wrote: Cleared Levitating set (Fairy Symposium Swirling Stepping!) (new)
That's massive. I've never seen that set. Symp Double Downs have a lot of names lol

Vojta