Czech This

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Add Block
BSOS Beast

Re: Czech Mate

Post by Add Block » 02 Nov 2014 13:09

ATW (out) > Legover > repeat 100 contacts
ATW (in) > Pickup > repeat 78 contacts
Mirage > SS Mirage > repeat 84 contacts
SS Clipper > OP Clipper > repeat 100 contacts
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 04 Nov 2014 16:21

Huge fan of that video, man, such a bangin' tune. That Pixie Gold is so dope! DUDE, that string with TATW, DAMN!!!!! So freaking awesome, and mad jealous. Quantum Leg >Pixie Leg was a sweet drill, and was that Pixie Terrage BSOS? Omlette >Quantum Illusion was pretty nuts, and again, mad jealous. Enlighten on what that last trick was, what I think I am seeing is Pixie Symp Miraging Pickup?!?! Big ol' props, yo! Shall be watching this a few times.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 05 Nov 2014 03:59

Thank you, kind words as always. :)

Last trick would be Pixie Legeater. Legeater is Miraging Symple Pickup. You might know Merlin, Legeater is a harder version of it (though has 1 less ADD). The BSOS trick was Pixie Barrage, but it made me realize than Barrages from Toe look really dull on video. They look great from 1st person perspective, though. :)

I'm happy you can name the tricks. My worry was that my Quantums don't look like Quantums.

But yeah, Barrage looks like I'm having a stroke. :twisted:

Vojta

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 05 Nov 2014 04:28

I think your Toe Barrages look really cool! Props on Pixie Legeater!

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 07 Nov 2014 16:01

Of course, of course. Ahhh, I see it now, Pixie Legeater is RAD. Barrage! Damn it! I wouldn't worry about it, definitely looks like some Quantums, some good ones. I agree with Asmus. Can't wait till the next video!
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 12 Nov 2014 09:59

Thank you Asmus and Derek, happy to hear that about Barrages. You should try them sometime, it's and unforgiving trick, but the movement feels good. I have yet to figure out a correct way of doing them. Right now, I'm not very consistent.

I've been using my new Lavers for a month now. This was the worst and most infuriating month for my training ever. As always, I have been practicing a lot, very systematically as well. Nevertheless, this has been the first month in which I have not progressed at all. Hence, I'm switching back to Quantums, I have no other option, I've demolished half of my garage in anger, I want to preserve the other half.

I know people say that good players can shred in any shoes, and I know from playing with Jindra that it is true. However, I can't learn anything new like that. There's tricks like Smear, PLO, DATW, Eggbeater that I could maybe do in any shoes, but I wouldn't be able to learn these in any shoes.
So I'll use my Quantums, and when they're gone, I guess that will be my finishing level of game until I find other footbag shoes.

There's like, no highlights for the last month. I did some Tiltless, hoping it would help me, but it didn't. At least I have that 100 Tiltless. So far I'm at:

- ATW (out) > Legover > repeat 100 contacts
- ATW (in) > Pickup > repeat 86 contacts
- Mirage > SS Mirage > repeat 100 contacts
- SS Clipper > OP Clipper > repeat 100 contacts

I also did Blubberman

Next session should be better, I'll be rested and wearing Quantums. 8)

Vojta

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 12 Nov 2014 19:43

I can somewhat relate to your Quantums vs. Lavers issue. I got my Lavers last Christmas, so it has been ten months for me with them. I always thought they were the most fantastic footbag shoes ever. But in the past week, I ended up borrowing a pair of Quantums from Nick. I loved them. They were so light, the clipper area was larger (near the front, where I catch clipppers), and the toes made pixies so much easier. So I used the Quantums for about 4 days worth of sessions and was hitting tricks like double pickup and symp whirl so much easier. But then on the 5th day, I decided to have a session in my Lavers again. It was pathetic. The bag was just rolling off my clippers and osis', and I was missing the toe stalls entirely sometimes. It was very frustrating. I couldn't do a bunch of things anymore that I could do in Lavers just a week ago. This might sound extreme, but this really did happen. So since that session I haven't used Quantums because they scared me. I concluded that the Quantums made my clippers lazy and allowed me to cheat through things like ripwalks and osis without thinking about my crank. So I have been working on some crank exercises and stretching my ankles under the desk in school to get my old control back and after a few days of solely training in my Lavers, I'm just about there. I don't think I will be going back to Quantums anytime soon. But hey, they are Footbag shoes and some of the best players in the world use them. And the way I see it, your game rocks too. I'm just sharing my personal experience. If they suit you, they suit you, and I understand your frustration with switching back and forth. Good luck with shoe decisions!

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 13 Nov 2014 04:11

I had a feeling that's going to be the case, Nathan. Based on what you've said, I decided to shred with both. Lavers for indoor sessions with Prague crew (hard surface, it's like a cheese grater for Quantums) and Quantums for my garage sessions.

That way, I'll figure this all out hopefully.

I don't think Lavers are that bad generally, I've played in other Lavers and they were fine. It's just I have a really weird version. When I do clippers, I sometimes undercrank, sometimes overcrank and sometimes I get the surface 100% flat. With those Lavers, it will always roll down is it's not 100%.

Quantums tolerate some tilting, but that's not a lazy clipper, sometimes I tilt in the other direction.

The Lavers I have are mesh, but all surfaces are really hard, it's like they're made of steel. I played in other people's Lavers, and those were all soft. I got them for free from Jindra, who said he doesn't need them even though he plays in Lavers, so I guess he must have noticed.

Vojta

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 13 Nov 2014 12:26

Ok, that sounds like a good plan. I don't think I've ever heard of hard, mesh Lavers? That's interesting. And I guess your right, Quantums might not necessarily make your clippers lazy, so much as allow a little more room for error. I hope your shoe plan works out for you!

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 14 Nov 2014 13:59

The following points are not facts, just an experience of an inexperienced player. Feel free to disagree so I don't spread nonsense. 8)

Can you hit a trick on one side, but not the other? Here's some tips on how you can usually break it down. I'll be using Drifter as an example.

1) I'll start off with stuff you already know. You want to find the best trajectory/position for the bag to do a Drifter from. This may vary for everyone, when you find it, aim for it with your set.

2) After you set the bag, raise your leg quickly. But not too quickly, it's a downtime component after all. You won't have that luxury if you do a Drifter after a set (Tombstone, Smoke), and it's not necessary, but it makes it somewhat easier and you can do that Drifter easily and with a nice deep Clipper at the end. Hence, you can even use it as a bail.

3) You've set the bag and raised your leg quickly, now don't rush into the Miraging dex, it's a downtime component as I said. Ideally, you want to dex the bag with your calves/shins, not thighs/hips. Not that it looks bad, but there's a bigger chance of you bumping into the bag with your hips. Wait for the bag to peak, and then go for that nice calf dex, since you've raised your leg quickly, you'll have all the time in the world to plant.

3) The dex itself can be slow, so as to avoid collision with the bag, but once you clear it, the tuck of your leg behind your body into a Clipper should be somewhat fast. This usually comes naturally and is not hard to keep in mind.

4) You'll have a much easier time if your dexing foot ankle is already cranked (tilted) while dexing and tucking into Clipper.

5) When doing a Drifter after a set (Tombstone, Smoke), you gain an advantage if you set the bag with your setting and/or dexing leg as fast and as low as possible and jump into the Drifter as quickly as possible. This holds for almost all shuffle tricks.

6) This is the mistake I was doing, when it was pointed out to me, my flipside Drifters got a boost. When you've just cleaned the Miraging dex and are about to tuck your leg behind you, do it as close to your support leg as possible. As explained by Nick in his blog, the movement for Drifters is circular, but don't make the behind-you-part of the Drifter too wide.

And lastly, the point that you can use for any trick in footbag:

7) Have your friend watch you do the trick. Have him watch your strongside, then your flipside. When he/she points out the difference, make them match, but learn from the stronger side. Or use a camera, although that might be tricky to spot.

That's all. It's too long and it may be incorrect. :wink:

I've repeated stuff that's already well known, but I've missed some stuff out, but those have been explained by Nick already.

Vojta

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 26 Nov 2014 14:09

Filmed for 5-10 minutes in the last 4 sessions. I guess it's like deleted scenes for a calendar video. Not that I've hit better things on that, but these clips contain awful lightning and frame rate. We should have enough footage for the calendar video anyway. 8)
I always have to add music, unfortunately. Otherwise the editor just starts 'importing waveforms', whatever that means. 8O

Hope you enjoy and have a nice day :)

Vojta

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 26 Nov 2014 15:58

So much shuffle I thought you were shredding a deck of cards.

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 28 Nov 2014 04:20

Yeah, I should get some variety. The problem is, I get bored by most tricks, but I'd be very happy if anyone has any suggestions. I sometimes do a bit of Spinning and Ducking, but I can't bring myself to practice them for too long.
I was thinking maybe DSO, Grifter and Paradon/DOD, but if you have a better idea, please share.

I wanted to start with Atomics, I really like Sets/Shuffle, but I guess my game would then be unwatchable. :)

I would love to get some knowledge on Terraging set, what has been hit etc. I'm not spending nearly any time on it, but I toy with it every now and then.

Vojta

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 01 Dec 2014 11:37

Try to learn Swirl or Reverse Swirl. Your datws and double orbits are great, so your muscle memory for Swirls should be ready to hatch once you tap into them a bit. Swirl is just an awkward sideways Atw and Reverse Swirl is an awkward sideways orbit. I would enjoy watching a style with tons of shuffle, then Swirls and/or Reverse Swirls
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 01 Dec 2014 14:52

Very much enjoyed it! I can watch you shuffle forever, and definitely won't complain about more Atomics. I think you know what's best for yourself, and those sound like great tricks to throw in. I would suggest one of your not-favorites, Ducking and/or Spinning. Sweet video, yo, and cannot wait for the Joulu one.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 01 Dec 2014 15:41

Thank you :)

Actually, I decided I'd do Spinning yesterday, I got the hang of it I think. My Spinning Clippers, Mirages and Illusions are somewhat consistent now, it's a very easy concept, compared to things like Drifters/Pixie. I'm not very good at Gyro, but I can do it as Spinning Same Side (turn and then dex, as opposed to dexing while turning), not sure if that's considered bad form.

I will try Swirls, I tried them once a while ago. I got it on strongside, but my flipside attempt made the whole circle laugh. Are Swirls downtime or uptime? Everyone says something different.

Today's LOTD was very nice. The intro is fucking funny, I love that, and the link was good. I've never done SS Symp Mirage, but it's easy enough to hit by luck. 1/1 on LOTD's so far.
Funny thing about Symposium tricks. I've never hit Flail, Symp Mirage, Symple Legover or Symple Pickup, yet I've hit many Eggbeaters, Merlins, Massacres and Legeaters. :D

I was drilling hard today, but I stuffed some new things inbetween:

Bedwetter > Pixie DaDa Curve (rewind) I first hit that half a year ago. It was much easier this time
Bluberman
Cool entry for the Sick Three competition on film
Spinning Mirage BSOS
Pdx Drifter BSOS

Organising a video turned out to be quite difficult. Footbaggers REALLY like to cancel promised sessions. Right now, it's almost ready, I'm just waiting for Jindra to show up so I can film him.

Vojta

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 19 Dec 2014 02:36

Barrage Explanation

I got a lot of positive feedback from my Kalenteri video, which I'm very grateful for. This included Lon Smith telling me that I found a new window of time for Barrages. I'd like to explain why I do Barrages the way I do them.

So there's now two types, the classic very late downtime hopping to the side double Mirage, and my Midtime rooted double pickup bailed to the other toe. Now 99% of people do the first one, and at least 90% THE the last dex. Meaning, they finish the DEX when the bag is already stalled.

Yes, the trick is much easier their way, but it's almost impossible not to THE. I tried it, couldn't do it, there's not enough air time. However, I think this style has its place at Pdx Barrages.

So my way, you can't THE. It's not possible, you can do thin dexes, but you can't THE, you wouldn't clear the trick. But that's all just my opinion, you might want to see for yourself. At least give them a shot. :wink:

Vojta

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 10 Feb 2015 13:37

First session after injury. Did some LOTWs, but nothing interesting beyond that. Here's a video:
Second to last clip is Terraging SS Legover, but it's not very good. Someone requested that trick a long time ago and today it came to my mind. I was unable to hit it clean, but maybe next time I will.

:footbag:

Vojta

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 14 Feb 2015 00:27

Feelin' good? That Blur run, man. Damn. Can't wait to see a clean one ;)
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 28 Feb 2015 16:25

Place is dark and my camera and editing software are very bad, sorry for the quality. Jindra was kind of tired as he spent the whole afternoon before our session doing shows, and I also missed the first hour of our shred, so only got the last 15 minutes.

I could turn this into a series. If there's someone who wants to watch that. :D

As for me, I don't play much these days, knee's phucked. I'll try to get an X-Ray.

Vojta