Czech This

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Add Block
BSOS Beast

Czech This

Post by Add Block » 30 Aug 2014 04:21

Hello world!

I noticed there are no Czech players with an active blog, since Jirka hasn't made a post in a couple of months. And so, here I am.
Now I realise that my progression and new stuff I'll hit is probably not going to be very exciting, but since I do have frequent sessions with Jindra and am in contact with most Czech players, I can at least inform you about the state of game here. Hence, ask away if you want to know what the champion or other players are doing.

The active player base of Prague can be seen in this movie filmed with a potato I made.I wanted to include Honza in this, because he still plays, but when I realised the quality of the recordings, I decided not to bother him with it.

Name: Nathan (or Vojta) - I lived in UK so now I have two names I guess

Player since: June 2013 - 14 months is a long time and I should be better than I actually am, but I have to take breaks during exam periods

Favourite players: Anssi, Jindra, Tuomas (why is that guy not in BAP I'll never know), Chinsen90 (that's a youtube name, I've no idea who it is)

On modified: I look up to Derek, he has almost identical trick selection as me, though he has a much better form and consistency. Also Paul, I'd love to have similarly good form as he does one day. I do read other peoples' blogs, but people usually use different tricks than me so I can't compare my game to theirs.

And now for my favourite free time activity, feel free to recommend other tricks:

3-dex tricks hit on both sides:

Pigbeater
Smog
Pixie Barrage
Pixie Miraging SS Whirl (I call it Reverse Paradon)
Pixie Double Pickup
Pixie Da Da Curve
Blurry Da Da Curve
Fog

3-dex tricks hit on strong side only:

Bedwetter
Triple ATW
Triage
Pixie Massacre
Blurry Massacre
Terraging Mirage
Terraging Illusion
Terraging Butterfly
Triple Guay (that trick is like picking flowers with dynamite)
Sailing OP Mirage
Sailing SS Mirage
Tapping Eggbeater
Tapping DLO

4-dex tricks:

Sailing SS DLO (once, by accident)
Sailing SS Eggbeater (once, by accident)
Termobeater - Terraging Eggbeater (twice, barefoot, which is cheating and makes it easy)

Now, my consistency is not very good. I'm trying to gain a critical amount of trick selection, which will be completed by the end of this year. From then on, I will only work on my consistency. I might be too methodical, but that's the way I enjoy playing. The 3-dexes listed above are just a little fun project of mine, most of them were only hit once or twice for that reason. So if you're easily impressed, bear that in mind. I don't like to say 'I can hit this trick' until I can hit it 30 times in a row, but I still posted this list so people can suggest more stuff for me to hit.

Lastly, here's a video of me playing. Bad form on most of it, but I will find time in the future to fix it all, hopefully. Have a nice day!
Last edited by Add Block on 17 Jun 2015 07:31, edited 2 times in total.
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

MetZelRio
Fearless

Re: Beating the pigs, so you don't have to

Post by MetZelRio » 30 Aug 2014 05:44

Thanks for the honorable mention! I think Derek is top notch also. Chinsen is unreal. One of the most impressive components of your game, in my opinion, it's your mental ability to process the next tricks you're going to do and then hitting them well. I find that to be such a struggle. But you seem to have a good grasp on that.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 30 Aug 2014 07:00

Dude, thank you! Feelin' the love! Chinsen is one of my favorites, too. I prefer Vojta :) Your game is sick with it, man. You've only been playing a year, and you are about to be shitting on my level (if you aren't already), and I've been playing for almost 7. Seriously, yo, you have quite the repertoire, and I dig your video. Seeing some of that aggressive Jindra style rubbing off on ya. Dang Czech's, you guys have it your blood, or something. Keep on keeping on, cause you are fucking good.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 01 Sep 2014 13:25

Thank you guys, I appreciate that. And Paul, when I play, I always think 3-5 tricks in advance. I don't know if that's normal, but it kind of helps in freestyle. It's like a really bad superpower that's still mildly useful.

Czech Championship will happen on 18. October it looks like. Not wanting to sound arrogant, but I always felt that winning there is almost as hard as winning World Championship. If you can beat Milan, Jindra, Honza and Vašek, you can probably beat the rest of the world, in routines at least.

I will not participate, competitions of any form are everything I stand against, but I will participate in Big One and Sick Three, they feel kinda casual. I'm all out of ideas, though, so if you have any good one, do suggest them. :)

I had a session with David today, so I'll post some highlights, although nothing unusual was hit.

- 30 PLOs b2b to handcatch

- Run with 30 Smears, 15 each side

- Butterfly -> Blur -> repeat 15 times to handcatch

- New Triple Dex trick: 'S and M dragonfly stall smasher' I did that just because of the name :D

- Run with 20 Magellan, 10 each side

- Run with 20 Smudges, 10 each side

- I made up a really good looking drill. It goes: Toe Barrage -> DATW (IN) -> Terrage -> repeat

That's all, fairly uneventful session, my brain was melted, I had studied for 12 hours straight that day. I still need to think of a couple Sick Threes, but I guess I still have plenty of time. :footbag:

Vojta

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Sep 2014 04:21

How about a sick 3 of pixie diving ss symp mirage-pigbeater-tapping dlo. Czech champs would definitely be one of the hardest. ..but how often do all those stars all compete and take it seriously?

PrunusAberration
Shredaholic

Post by PrunusAberration » 02 Sep 2014 07:41

I haven't watch your video yet, but I will. Welcome to blogging, man. It will be extremely interesting to hear about Czech players and the world that engulfs them. I want to hit a DATW so bad. I got the motion down on my strong side, but on my flipside, I can't get the motion in and be even remotely fast about it. How often can you hit DATW & TATW? Is it "in" and/or "out" arounds?

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 02 Sep 2014 09:33

This might seem obvious, but for DATW, you want to do a lot of ATWs. By that I mean that if you warm up with ATWs every session, you'll be in a good spot for DATW, Barrage, Double Pickup etc.

The thing that helped me with flipside DATWs was to concentrate hard on getting the movement to be identical to strongside. Your strongside usually develops better form on most tricks, so if you find yourself doing something differently on both sides, mimic the stronger one.

I can hit DATW with a brick if you woke me up at 3 am, it's just really simple. The movement prints itself into your brain, which doesn't apply to all tricks, I have to keep mental notes with some. I don't do TATW anymore really, because it is really under appreciated.
It's also because my main goal was to hit a QATW, but I've discarded that dream. There was a guy on facebook saying something like 'I know 4 people in China who can hit QATW'. And everyone just sort of nodded and went with it, even though there's no evidence, which is infuriating.

Edit: Also, for any DEX-heavy trick, you want to be doing it air-style a lot. As in, in front of a mirror without a bag. :)

Vojta

PrunusAberration
Shredaholic

Post by PrunusAberration » 02 Sep 2014 10:10

ATW isn't strong enough on my strong side and it's horrible on my flipside. I just started including them into my drills now. I don't practice DATW, because I am still trying to hit 10 ATW consecutively on my strong and on my flipside... yea, it's weaker, a lot weaker. Thanks for the advice on having the flipside mimic the strong side. This is something that came to me, but I have yet to practice it.

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 02 Sep 2014 10:37

You can do the same for your ATWs actually. I never had problems with strongside DATW, they were always very consistent, the true art is to have them on both sides though.

The only time I notice a very strong improvement on my DATW flip was when I started doing ATWs the same way on both sides in my warm ups. As for TATW, I couldn't hit it until I made that wise point of warming up with ATWs.

Vojta

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 02 Sep 2014 12:25

I've seen a takraw player hit QATW, but I have yet to see a footbag player do that. Don't let anybody steal your dream =)

PrunusAberration
Shredaholic

Post by PrunusAberration » 02 Sep 2014 12:28

Do you hit double and triples inside to outside or outside to inside? My strong side is tight and fast, but my weak is the opposite. I need to nail that out. Recording it should help. I can get mutes on my strong, but flips are almost impossible. Once again, that will need to be fixed as well.

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 02 Sep 2014 13:04

Paul I'd like to see that on a video. If you have it saved, please share the link. I didn't lose the dream, I just made other ones after I realized that the trick has been hit and/or people generally assume it has been hit.

Prunus, if you have ways to film your DATWs, I could take a look and maybe give you more pointers. I generally do ATW (IN), which is clockwise. I still do Orbits as a warmup and can do Double Orbits, but I really dislike the movement. I much rather do my Barrages than Paradons.

Though being able to hit them in both directions will help you in the future with sets. Atomic, Fairy and Nuclear will be easier if you already have Double Orbit in your arsenal.
Unfortunately, DATW (IN) doesn't help Pixie sets, although it does help with Terraging set. 8)

Vojta

PrunusAberration
Shredaholic

Post by PrunusAberration » 03 Sep 2014 06:39

I filmed some of my orbits and arounds, but I do believe my camera didn't catch it. I can try some double on film for you. I normally only ghost them/air-style them and the flipside ghosting feels extremely odd to me. But do keep in mind, hitting 10 consecutive around/orbits hasn't happen yet. I think, my record was 6 or 7 on my strong side and I have yet to try to bypass that.

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 05 Sep 2014 10:06

Had a session today. I managed this in my warmup:

- A run with 30 DATWs, 15 each side
- A run with 20 Magellans, 10 each side
- Butterfly -> Blur 17x

I also tried the combo suggested by Boyle. I did get Pigbeater -> Tapping DLO, but Pixie Diving Symp SS Mirage is a bit too much for me :)

Vojta

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 12 Sep 2014 11:42

I started training Quantum, and one of my sides understands it, but the second one doesn't. If anyone has any advice on Quantum set, throw them at me. 8)

I am not hitting anything to write home about these days, as I'm just trying to finish a training program before Czech Champs. I did, however, manage to think of some combos for my Sick 3.

- All the LIMPs from Quantum on one side, not sure if I can call it flipside, because it's the side that cannot do Atomic. I don't practice Atomic at all, but I can hit Atmosmasher and such on one side. I want to do Quantum first, though, it's more fun to me.
- 14 Unique Pixie
- Bedwetter -> Pixie Da Da Curve
- Pixie Da Da Curve -> Blur -> Pixie OP Barrage Now this doesn't sound hard, but try the link between first and second trick, it's an interesting one
- Stepping SS Illusion -> Toe Barrage BS
- Pixie Barrage -> PLO -> Repeat
- Blizzard -> Toe Blur

I was wondering if I can use this one trick for Double Dex Badge. It says I have to finish one of the tricks on clipper. I don't want to do any Paradons or DODs, but I'm sometimes doing Reverse Paradon. As in, Far Miraging Whirl, or Toe Whirr, depends on how I hit it. It's quite easy, I might hit that from Pixie at Big 1 competition.

Also, how bad of an idea would it be just do Atomic on one side and Quantum just on the other one? Because that would be so easy. :D

Vojta

MetZelRio
Fearless

Re: Czech Mate

Post by MetZelRio » 12 Sep 2014 12:43

No. Both sides bro. Thank me later when you become world Champ.

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 19 Sep 2014 08:22

I had a lot of sessions with Jindra. However, it's impossible to memorize his highlights, he never drops before 15 high density contacts.

I started doing Toe Blur b2b, after Paul convinced me to have them on both sides. It's not so bad, but that one side is just so much better. Oh well.

I also did Osis b2b 30x. I felt bad after telling Nick that I don't like Osis too much, so I did that. I'll explain why I don't do Osis and Whirls.
There was a discussion on Facebook where people have listed tricks that were easy for them. I never had any, I just drilled the shit out of everything. People think Pixie was easy for me, the opposite is true. I just drilled them so hard and was so focused I could as well drill my way into the 7th plane of torment and I wouldn't realize.
But then I found out that actually, Osis and Whirl are really easy. I don't practice them at all yet I can do 30 of them in a row. For that reason they feel alien to me, I don't trust anything that I don't have to do 10 000 time before I am somewhat consistent at.
Jindra told me to try Blurry Whirl, I got that first try, and then flipside first try. That's not a challenge, it's a really weird movement of legs, too.

I like the Funny Contest video. The trick that got first place is done a lot by freestyle football players. Also by Dexter, who does it in every session. :D
It's a shame it got attacked on Facebook.
Last edited by Add Block on 25 Sep 2014 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

Vojta

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 25 Sep 2014 03:22

We like to play a game with Jindra. The rules are, if anyone refers to Evan as the World Champion, we both take a shot. We have been drunk for the last month. :D

I don't really know how it feels for Jindra, to me it's just funny. But he may have a different view on it, seeing as he spent 3 months tweaking every millisecond of his routine and practicing it over and over again. :?

Seriously, it's fairly hysterical.

Vojta

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Sep 2014 04:15

They are both the world champion though. For me, routines is still the main event, but I don't think that's true for everyone. Look at a sport like gymnastics. Just because someone is a world champ on the high bar, doesn't mean they're also world champ on the floor routine.

I think Jindra definitely hasn't got a lot of credit for his world championship victory though.

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 26 Sep 2014 09:33

boyle wrote:
I think Jindra definitely hasn't got a lot of credit for his world championship victory though.
He gets a lot of credit all the time from non players, but I have yet to see a player besides me to mention him.
I have some crazy footage of him from previous session, I will try to put it together tomorrow.

Today was cool, had an hour long session. Not much to write home about, but I like some of today's combos.

- DaDa Curve > Schmoe > Repeat 20x (40 contacts)
- Butterfly > Pdx Illusion > Repeat 30x (60 contacts)
- Butterfly > Blizzard > Repeat 10x, three times in a row
- Toe Blur b2b 6x
- Pixie SS Illusion b2b 10x
- Spinning Clipper > Infinity > Repeat 3x

Vojta