Kyle's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: Kyle Cook Footblog

Post by Kylescook » 24 Jan 2016 09:52

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:Forgot to answer your text the other day. I think I was in mid-session. But yeah man, that Drifter> Gyro Clip drill is fantastic. Try to put a Reverse Swirl before and/or after the Drifter. It'll build extra control.

The drill video above is great, too. Your improvement on Spinning Osis was the most noticeable. Nice work dude. Also the shuffle is looking swell.
Thanks man. I've been working on rev swirl every session but it is still slow progress, would be a cool link to have control over, i'll work on it
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Did somebody say there was a party in Drillsville!?

Post by Kylescook » 27 Jan 2016 11:27

Ducking Clipper>Spinning Clipper>Rpt>Diving Clipper>Gyro Clipper>Rpt
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDdjiZAUIk ... =kylescook
Near Down>Ducking Clipper>Pdx Tap>Rpt
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDdFQmAUHc ... =kylescook
Spinning Clipper>Spinning Clipper>Gyro Clipper>Rpt
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDblFegUEZ ... =kylescook
(not a drill) First Double Spinning Clipper
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDasragUCR ... =kylescook
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

boyle
Post Master General

Re: Did somebody say there was a party in Drillsville!?

Post by boyle » 28 Jan 2016 14:23

how about dive>spin>duck rpt? That's a good one. Nice work on the DSC

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 28 Jan 2016 14:34

boyle wrote:how about dive>spin>duck rpt? That's a good one. Nice work on the DSC
Or dodge>duck>dip>dive>dodge :P
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 28 Jan 2016 15:35

Kylescook wrote:Ducking Clipper>Spinning Clipper>Rpt>Diving Clipper>Gyro Clipper>Rpt
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDdjiZAUIk ... =kylescook
Near Down>Ducking Clipper>Pdx Tap>Rpt
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDdFQmAUHc ... =kylescook
Spinning Clipper>Spinning Clipper>Gyro Clipper>Rpt
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDblFegUEZ ... =kylescook
(not a drill) First Double Spinning Clipper
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDasragUCR ... =kylescook
I saw these on instagram and was pretty impressed. First double spinning clipper is definitely a milestone (and a big trick not commonly done), but I was equally impressed with the long spinning/gyro clipper drills.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 29 Jan 2016 06:21

bobgreen wrote: I saw these on instagram and was pretty impressed. First double spinning clipper is definitely a milestone (and a big trick not commonly done), but I was equally impressed with the long spinning/gyro clipper drills.
Thanks Bob. Spins have been a top priority for me lately. clip to clip has gotten much easier but gyro mirage and other clip to toe spins are still pretty hard.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: Kyle Cook footblog-with determination comes success

Post by Kylescook » 03 Feb 2016 08:09

This is not a Footbag post.
As a recap for those that don't know me well. I dropped out of college after my first year, didn't really have much direction, and spent years fighting with depression. Last summer I started up classes again at the community college here in St. Louis. I took a summer semester of trig and am on my second full semester now. Over the past few months I've rekindled my passion for learning and have absolutely fallen back in love with math.
I went to meet with an advisor at the University of Missouri St. Louis and it turns out that on the way to getting my bachelors in computer science I'll have everything I need except Calc III to get a math minor. I was planning on taking Calc III anyway. So I'll definitely be walking away with at least a minor in math. I've tossed around the idea of double majoring in computer science and math since it would only be an additional 27 or so credit hours. Although those will almost all be exclusively senior level math classes so I'll have to evaluate the double major idea at a later time.
I think Footbag has played a big part in my successes outside of Footbag. Footbag reminded me the value of hard work and determination. When I was little I thought I could do anything I wanted. As a teenager I became disillusioned to that dream. Now here I am again fully committed to the idea that I can do anything (within reason) provided I put in enough effort. Anyways. Thanks for being cool everybody. Much love. Footbag rocks.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Feb 2016 08:38

That post made my day. I'm glad you found footbag, and it's had such a positive impact for you. :)

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 04 Feb 2016 00:21

Awesome stuff. Your game has been improving rapidly which must be due to having a really good mental game lately too. Great work. It's nice when things work out how you like.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 18 Feb 2016 16:03

Ken, Dan, Thanks for taking time to reply.

Haven't played footbag in over a week. not really sure when the last time was to be honest. School has been killing me. My physics lab reports are way longer and more tedious than I expected them to be. I've had to learn through google searches and trial and error to make tables and graphs in excel and move them to word. The lab manual isn't nearly as well written and organized as my Chemistry lab manual was last semester. I finally caved and spent the money on a Calculus textbook so I don't have to make scans of the one in the library every weekend. I did really poorly on my first math test of the semester. I'm gonna have to dedicate more time to serious studying for both classes. I sent in a request to work to have my schedule changed around some. Cutting out one of my full days in exchange for a half day so I can study more days a week even if not for as long. I think it'll help if i'm able to do homework and review the day after learning new material.

Tim Werner is supposed to be in town from Chicago this weekend. We're gonna try and kick on Saturday which is perfect timing since the weather is supposed to beautiful for this time of year. Both Tim's and I have birthdays this weekend so maybe we'll do a little something for that after the session if he's got time. I can't really think of a better way to spend my birthday than kicking with footbag friends. Finally got a pair of Lavers again, and i'll probably be heading to the Adidas outlet here soon to pick up a spare. Cant wait to start shredding in them again. I know the surfaces will suck at first but I hated the surfaces of the units at first too, so i'm sure it'll just take a few sessions to get back to it.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Allan

Post by Allan » 18 Feb 2016 17:03

Kylescook wrote: I finally caved and spent the money on a Calculus textbook so I don't have to make scans of the one in the library every weekend.
Actually scanning stuff is a hassle, for sure, but have you ever tried just taking photographs of the pages? It's about a 1,000,000 faster and just as effective. With the right app, you can even turn the the photos into searchable PDFs...

Keep up the hard work at school :)

Shred on.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 18 Feb 2016 20:09

I have tried taking pictures, I'm not so good with a camera so the images are never as clear as they are scanned. The schools library has a really convenient touch screen interface for the scanner that makes it so easy my grandmother could probably do it without help and I've yet to really experience a bug. But I am a fan of efficiency, so I may look into again for making study guides.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Feb 2016 00:19

I am so jealous of you guys just being able to rock into a shop and pick up a pair of Lavers. Not like Rod Laver is an Australian sporting hero or anything....

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 20 Feb 2016 05:42

boyle wrote:I am so jealous of you guys just being able to rock into a shop and pick up a pair of Lavers. Not like Rod Laver is an Australian sporting hero or anything....
hahaha, man that's a bummer.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 24 Feb 2016 07:44

Had my first full session yesterday since switching back to Lavers. Swizzle joined me.
Some quick highlights
:!: Tombstone>Spinning Osis
:!: Ducking Clip>Spinning Clip>Reverse Swirl (not really that hard but the reverse swirls felt good)
:!: 19 contacts of 2 bag juggle on strong side (more than double my old PR)
:!: First Frantic set. Took about ten tries to actually catch the Far Down after for E-walk. Then Cory did my favorite thing, where as soon as I hit something hard for the first time, he hits it into a dope run.
:!: run with Drifter>Torque once on one side and twice on the other.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 24 Feb 2016 23:28

Kylescook wrote: Then Cory did my favorite thing, where as soon as I hit something hard for the first time, he hits it into a dope run.
That's a term known as "Windsoring". When someone misses a trick, then the next guy hits that trick with a better run/combo. There's also (god I need to go to bed, why am I still typing?) Mulroneying: Where a guy misses the trick, then the next guy does a harder version of that trick with a good run/link. Piltzing is when you try to Windsor/Mulroney someone, but you drop :P

Your game is dope in Lavers. I'm a big fan. Glad you switched out of Units. All sweet highlights, but I'm biased towards the Ducking Clipper> Spinning Clipper> Reverse Swirl highlight and the Drifter> Torque linkage. That's such a go-to combo for me. I think it flows so well together. Tombstone> Spinning Osis is baller, too. Really nice stuff. Stoked to see where you'll be in a few months from now.

You inspired me to hit a new trick on both sides today. I'll post about it in my blog eventually lol
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Feb 2016 02:13

I like this drill with the duck, spin, rev swirl. I'm pretty reasonable at all of those tricks but I found the drill quite difficult. Got it eventually though.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 25 Feb 2016 08:58

Thanks for all that Nick. I had heard the Mulroney Term. But not the others.

Played for a little over an hour last night. Mostly just warmup and BOP stuff.
Hit Tombstone>Spinning Osis combo on flip.
Hit FS Toe Blur and Wonton Legover BS. The hardest part of FS Quantum tricks seems to be the downtime component.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 25 Feb 2016 10:44

I feel like the symp versions of quantum/atomic/whirling sets all give you higher sets, but at the cost of less control and consequently the downtime components become harder.