Kyle's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Add Block
BSOS Beast

Re: Kyle Cook Footblog

Post by Add Block » 30 Nov 2015 14:55

Definitely make a 1.5 years video. You can try to beat mine, shouldn't be too difficult :)
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 06 Dec 2015 13:18

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still considering the 1.5 years of footbag video. I haven't had much time for shred with the holidays and school year coming to an end, but I did get a session in with Cory last night. Didn't quite play as good as I expected with having more than a full week of leg rest, but I did have a run with a bunch of osis>stepping and a run with Reverse Whirligig bsos. I'd say more but i'll leave it out in case I get to release a video soon.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 09 Dec 2015 08:04

Something cool I've been trying the last couple of days. Osis>ss symp whip(downtime)>rpt>rpt again but with mid time symp whips.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 09 Dec 2015 08:40

Add Block wrote:Definitely make a 1.5 years video. :)
I like that idea. If you end up having a long career in footbag (like I hope you do) it can be cool to see a video from each year, and see how your game developed.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 09 Dec 2015 14:39

i've had two sessions in the last week or so that I was playing well enough to keep some footage. One the lighting kinda sucks because we were in the racquetball court, but I hit some stuff that's definitely worth posting. Today I played solo outside for 3 hours. I finally managed to get stepping ducking clipper on camera. Had strong side good then hit the flipside pretty sloppy in the same run (flip got caught on my neck on the way down).

Here's a combo that probably wont make the cut since the run ended a little short, but I wanted to share anyway.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 02 Jan 2016 07:38

NYJ has been sweet so far. Hit a couple new links and tricks so far. I'll do a write up when I'm home but wanted to sign in and post a link to the video now that it's public.
Last night I hit rev mullet gyro toe to end the session.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 02 Jan 2016 09:36

Fun video. Nice Tombstones :)

Also, Happy New Year. Any resolutions?

Vojta

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 04 Jan 2016 12:34

Thanks Vojta. No new years resolutions for me this year. I've got loads of footbag goals, The only important one is to keep training hard and having fun.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 08 Jan 2016 13:08

New Years Jam was off the chain.

Tuesday Night
My bags are all packed. My footbags are washed and drying. I take two benadryl to help me fall asleep since I'm planning to get up at 4am so i've got time to have coffee before I leave the house. About thirty minutes after I take the benadryl I get an alert on my phone that the flight had been canceled and I'd been rebooked for another flight 12hrs later. I was pretty bummed since I'd now be missing out on a full day of shred and shenanigans with the Michigan fellas.

Wednesday.
I woke up bright and early with the day off work and nothing to do for hours. So I did what anyone else in my position would do. Got stoned and stayed in bed playing video games. fast forward to 6pm and i'm boarding the plane headed to Detroit. I wound up getting some work done on a 32 panel i've had half finished for cory for months. When got to passenger pickup I had just enough time to have a cig before zach arrived to pick me up, and we were headed to Antons. I walked in and didn't even have time to set down my bags and take off my coat before being bombarded with hugs from friends and greetings from the coach. we sat around watching TV and went to bed relatively early.

Thursday (NYE)
My memories hazy but there was a group effort in the kitchen making pancakes and bacon. Jordan, Ben and I went to the store for coffee, candy and whatever else. We hung around the house until 1ish when Zach showed up fresh from the airport with new arrivals. We then headed up to lifetime fitness where Ben Babyak, Zach Miley, Anton, Zach Jahner, Adam Keith, David Moutard, Derek Littlefied and myself got down on some shred. I hit ripwalk from far symp whip for the first time per Jahners request. after a couple hours of shred most of the guys hit the steam room to relax. We stopped for food and then went back to Antons to prepare for the nights events. By then Cass and Alex had arrived. The group split up and some of us stayed home while others went out to a club for some grimy electronic music. Those of us that stayed home drank beers and got down on four square.

Friday (NYD)
This was a day full of recovery for everyone. It was mostly spent on the couch smoking bowls and enjoying the quiet. We shredded a bit in the kitchen once some more people showed up in the evening. Evan was unstoppable as always. Swifter>Ripstein to 8 or more contacts. Same thing with Double Blender>Ripstein. I stepped out of flipside far symp rev whirl and to close the night hit Ducking Symposium Reverse Whirling Gyro Toe.

Saturday and Sunday (NYJ)
The last few days kindof blend together
I was watching Polini and Kemmer work with Dave Moutard on stepping set and then saw him hit a really really clean stepping ss clipper. That was one of my favorite moments of the whole jam. I later saw Polini working with Lanza on Torque and he hit Torque>infinity BS like five seconds after telling me he couldn't do it on one side. Another great moment. At the end of the day when everyone was practically packed up and ready to go I was still trying to get in those last few minutes of kick in. I was trying Nuke muted pickup when Jahner asked me to try Backside Pdx Tap/Nuclear near symposium mirage. It took several tries before I figured out the timing but hitting that will be one of the footbag moments I remember forever. We raged at the hotel till like 4 in the morning or later both days.

Monday
Woke up wrecked from partying and caught a ride to the airport; crushed a few edibles before going through security and passed out as soon as I boarded the plane. I woke up in St.Louis and made it home to my bed. I've been in my bed with a cold since then.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 12 Jan 2016 22:03

Played a little today. Hit the two big tricks from NYJ on film. I wasn't really happy with the set height and therefore cleanliness of the beta pdx tap, but it was the best I could get today.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 Jan 2016 18:31

That's not just Beta... Beta is Backside. Pretty sure that's a Full Symposium Pdx Tap... still one of the coolest tricks I saw at NYJ. Props. That's so cool and uncommon. Think you can hit like Beta Matador? It's not much different. Probably easier.

Don't risk your whole game for that set, though, if you're feeling like it's a little intense of a movement. That set isn't worth your game. And when you get better, that set will get better with you. Especially if you just gradually drill Nukes.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 16 Jan 2016 04:32

Backside isn't strictly Beta, but the rest is true. That was Full Symp Pdx Tap. Cool set

Vojta

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 18 Jan 2016 00:57

Nice trick!

I think the correct way of writing it, is like this:

Backside: A trick with two dexes and the last one is symposium
Frontside: A trick with two dexes and the first one is symposium
Beta: A trick with 3 dexes and the middle one is symposium

Backside/Frontside can also be used for tricks with a set ending on a double dex. Like Blurriest, Fusion, Atomic DSO etc.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 19 Jan 2016 22:11

Thanks for that reference Asmus.

That trick isn't technically symposium on the front end because the clipper foot doesn't touch the ground before the dex but it is different than your standard nuclear set. Can anyone accurately name the set and trick?

I went to the gym today before my first day of the semester.
Warmed up fairly slow and deliberate
SS Inside>Op Inside>Rpt until I was too tired to keep going and caught the bag
Same thing with SS Toe>Op Toe>Rrpt
Then lots of Tiltless toe and clipper warmup.
Op Clipper>Gyro Clipper>Op Clipper>Rpt x idk a bunch
Zulu Clipper>Spinning Osis BSOS
Diving Clipper>Gyro Clipper BSOS
Ducking Clipper>Spinning Clipper>Rpt
Pdx Illusion>Toe Blur>Down>Rpt
Pdx Mirage>Atomsmasher>Down>Rpt
Ripwalk>Blur>Down>rpt
Went for Ducking Clipper>Sumo>Down>Rpt but couldn't get the first link on bs.
Might try Drifter>Sumo>Mirage>Rpt next time.

Filmed some of the drills if you wanna watch it. (last 40 seconds is just osis b2b)
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 20 Jan 2016 00:00

If you a refering to the nuclear ss mirage trick, it is only the second dex that is symposium = Backside Pdx Tap

Great highlights!

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 20 Jan 2016 02:33

Kylescook wrote:
Can anyone accurately name the set and trick?
I did, it's Full Symp Pdx Tap.

The set is Symple Nuclear. Trick's Symple Pdx Atomic SS Symposium Mirage. Don't ask about ADDs, because nobody knows.
Nuclear can't be Symposium, only Rooted, but that would be ridiculous, you'd have to stand on your clipper and do the set while jumping off it. 8)

Nice spins, try to keep the ducks closer to your neck.

Vojta

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 20 Jan 2016 03:01

It's not Full Symp Pdx Tap. Then the Nuclear would have to be symposium. It's not even Symple. For Symple the trick ends on the same toe as the dex (ex: symple legover, symple pickup, symple swirl). The only symple nuclear trick that can be done would be a Symple Nuclear SS Toe or Symple Uptime Far Legover which as you say is ridicolous.

http://www.footbag.org/reference/-/Freestyle_Concepts

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 20 Jan 2016 13:56

Add Block wrote: Nice spins, try to keep the ducks closer to your neck.
I used to be better about it. I need to really drill ducks and dives again.

Managed to have time and energy to spend another two hours at the gym today. Lets hope I can keep this up once the homework starts.
Finished my session dropping on 15th Ripwalk. New Personal Record :!:
Today was probably the first time I've ever hit Smear>PLO>Rpt
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 24 Jan 2016 08:14

Had a short 90 minute session yesterday.
Mostly spin practice since I spent so much time on shuffle the past two days
Some new Personal bests
gyro clip x 5
spinning clip x5 both sides
Finished the session on Drifter>Gyro Clip>Drifter>Spinning Clip>rpt
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 24 Jan 2016 09:38

Forgot to answer your text the other day. I think I was in mid-session. But yeah man, that Drifter> Gyro Clip drill is fantastic. Try to put a Reverse Swirl before and/or after the Drifter. It'll build extra control.

The drill video above is great, too. Your improvement on Spinning Osis was the most noticeable. Nice work dude. Also the shuffle is looking swell.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman