Chris Tristano

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Re: Chris Tristano

Post by christisgodlike » 01 Feb 2015 04:19

Thanks bob!

I had a session with Jordan Morrison today. We met up at Federation Square for the kick. I was trying to get Juho to come kick but he got a ticket to some show at the same time. He is also leaving for Tasmania tomorrow so I may not be able to kick with him again this year.

Jordan definitely improved from the beginning of the session to the end. He said he hasn't footbagged much since we last kicked. He was doing some nice consecutive tricks though. Hopefully he starts to kick more often because he has a lot of potential.

His Highlights:
:arrow: 3x Leg Over
:arrow: 9x mirage
:arrow: 6x mirage flipside
:arrow: 14x ss clipper (?)
:arrow: 7x ss clipper flip
:arrow: illusion BS
:arrow: ATW BS

It was nice kicking with him because it sorta made me stay towards the basics. We both drilled a lot of tricks. I also did a lot of shredding. I am going for that 50x tiltless.

My clippers felt much better today for some reason. It may be the bag we were using, but maybe not. It was one of Dan's show bags. Felt so good on clipper tricks.

I worked on alot of spinning and mirages in addition to clippers. Strange combo but thats what it was.

My highlights:
:arrow: 4x Spinning clipper
:arrow: 28x SS clipper (tied my PR)
:arrow: 16x mirage
:arrow: 17x mirage flip (idk which one is flip)
:arrow: clipper>osis rpt 7x (maybe more I wasn't counting)
:arrow: 25 contact tiltless run (My first time counting my tiltless)

Overall I think I kicked pretty well. Hopefully I'll get another session in tomorrow.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 01 Feb 2015 21:24

christisgodlike wrote:
I am going for that 50x tiltless.
When I first hit my x50 and x100, I found Ducking Toe and Spinning/Gyro Toe to be really good breath-catching tricks when i started to get tired. Plus, practicing those is also helpful because you can fall into Guiltless Spins/Gyros and Ducks more easily.

You're doing really well. Sounds like the shin splints are better now? Keep it up, man. Stoked to meet you when you come back to the East Coast.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 01 Feb 2015 22:15

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:
When I first hit my x50 and x100, I found Ducking Toe and Spinning/Gyro Toe to be really good breath-catching tricks when i started to get tired. Plus, practicing those is also helpful because you can fall into Guiltless Spins/Gyros and Ducks more easily.

You're doing really well. Sounds like the shin splints are better now? Keep it up, man. Stoked to meet you when you come back to the East Coast.
I don't think I have too much trouble with breathing. Or at least I haven't noticed it affecting me yet.

The shin are definitely feeling better. I bought some new insoles that feel much better. I still get a little pain on some tricks (mostly stepping) or when I kick for too long. I think I need to do shorter sessions so I don't get to the point were my body is super fatigued. And also let my body heal.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Feb 2015 02:02

I like things like ducking inside, even doing something like pixie set and just catching it on the toe, op toe, they are good to just give a bit of variety, then throw in a few harder tricks.

Don't give up hope on more Juho sessions, he's still in the country for a few months. A few more international guests should be arriving in Australia in the coming months too. Also, there is another guy in Melbourne, freestyle football bloke, he's keen on doing more footbag, Kenneth Law is his name, Jordan knows him. Had a few kicks with him while he was in Canberra for the Asian Cup.

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 03 Feb 2015 02:51

Yeah do hope I'll get to kick with Juho. If you talk to anyone that wants to kick while they are in Melbourne don't hesitate to give them my number. I will ask Jordan about Kenneth next time we meet up.

Pretty good session. Drilled ATW, clipper, mirage, pickups, leg overs. BSOSed the 3rd LOTW. Spinning clippers are coming along nicely. My clipper game overall has felt much stronger in the past week. My flip has pretty much caught up with my strong.

Highlights:

:arrow: 25x ATW i-o PR
:arrow: 20x ATW i-o flip PR
:arrow: 20x pickup PR
:arrow: 25x SS clipper flipside
:arrow: wrap>reverse swirl BSOS

3rd LOTW footage:
http://instagram.com/p/yoYqJ4BvEp/?modal=true

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Feb 2015 11:50

Hi mate...Dan Ednie posted in the Facebook page that he is in Melbourne for a few weeks and looking to kick. I passed on your number.

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 14 Feb 2015 09:32

Yeah he contacted me. We are planning a kick for Monday!

I haven't kicked in over a week unfortunately. I think I over did it by kicking one day then going into work and being on my feet all night. Then two days later I went on an all day hike with Kim for her birthday. My shins have been sporadically hurting ever since. It's weird. I can't pinpoint any pain when I run my hands across my shins, it only starts when I stand a certain way. I have been trying to take it easy but work puts a lot of stress on my legs.

So it will have to be an extremely light kick on Monday.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 Feb 2015 00:26

Dude, sorry to hear you still have those nasty shin splints. They're devils sometimes. However, after just analyzing some of your footage, I can clearly see that you're not on your toes enough. With proper form, if I wanted to, I could slide a sheet of paper underneath your heel and up near the ball of your foot. That is where your weight should be. If you look at your footage, you can see that your toes actually come off the ground a bit sometimes. May not seem like a big deal, but that means that the weight is in/near your heels... so if the weight is in your heels, then there is unnecessary pressure being applied to everything right above the heel... your shin! Take the weight off the heel, move it into the toes/ball of the foot.. and voila.. you're golden.

As for getting rid of them... I would start doing some "heel-toe walking rehab".. in your free time, try walking on your heels until you feel the burn in your shins, then switch to your toes until you feel the burn in your shins, then back to heels.. repeat this until you hate it and you pretty much can no longer do it anymore.

Then when you're walking around at work, walk on your toes... this doesn't have to be like you're all the way up on your tippy toes.. but like I mentioned above, walk like someone is sliding a sheet of paper under your heels.

If you have some extra cash to spend, it would be helpful to buy a pair of shin compression sleeves from http://www.zensah.com This isn't totally necessary, but these really helped me when I was going through what you're going through.

And dude, I'm really sorry for constantly mentioning form and stuff to you, but I see aspects of myself in you.. like I once dealt with everything you're dealing with. Believe me, I know the feeling. It really sucks. But if you do what I said, you can knock the shin splints out. I don't want to see any footbagger with your level of passion of the sport have to suffer with bad splints. Just trying to help you out.

Best of luck.

~Nick P.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 15 Feb 2015 09:18

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:Dude, sorry to hear you still have those nasty shin splints. They're devils sometimes. However, after just analyzing some of your footage, I can clearly see that you're not on your toes enough. With proper form, if I wanted to, I could slide a sheet of paper underneath your heel and up near the ball of your foot. That is where your weight should be. If you look at your footage, you can see that your toes actually come off the ground a bit sometimes. May not seem like a big deal, but that means that the weight is in/near your heels... so if the weight is in your heels, then there is unnecessary pressure being applied to everything right above the heel... your shin! Take the weight off the heel, move it into the toes/ball of the foot.. and voila.. you're golden.
Yeah as of recently (past 3 weeks) I have been focusing on this. I find that when my legs are strong I have no problem staying on the balls of my feet. But after a long session this becomes harder. I lose balance easier and my muscles won't keep me on my toes. I think I am going to try to do more shorter sessions as opposed to longer ones to address this issue.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:As for getting rid of them... I would start doing some "heel-toe walking rehab".. in your free time, try walking on your heels until you feel the burn in your shins, then switch to your toes until you feel the burn in your shins, then back to heels.. repeat this until you hate it and you pretty much can no longer do it anymore.
I have been doing this whenever I can. (Taking out the garbage, getting coffee etc. ) But not as often as I probably should.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:Then when you're walking around at work, walk on your toes... this doesn't have to be like you're all the way up on your tippy toes.. but like I mentioned above, walk like someone is sliding a sheet of paper under your heels.
I attempt to do this. But I get super worn out so quickly so it doesn't last long. I think I have to strengthen my legs up a bit.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:And dude, I'm really sorry for constantly mentioning form and stuff to you, but I see aspects of myself in you.. like I once dealt with everything you're dealing with. Believe me, I know the feeling. It really sucks. But if you do what I said, you can knock the shin splints out. I don't want to see any footbagger with your level of passion of the sport have to suffer with bad splints. Just trying to help you out.
I hear you. I appreciate the concern broski.

I am also constantly screening footage for this toe issue (and standing up straight). I always notice when I land a trick and it feels right it I am on my toes.

side note: I had some month old footage I was looking at and I thought it was so much older. It's strange how fast concepts in footbag can change. Now I view freestyle completely different than I did a month ago. Probably the effects of that Narroma Jam.

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 16 Feb 2015 04:39

Kicked with Dan Ednie today. Good dude. Pretty damn good at the footbag. We are going to try and kick again on Thursday.

It was a short session. No highlights. My clippers are feeling pretty damn good.

Oh yeah and no shin pain. 8)

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 19 Feb 2015 02:14

Worked on clippers, gyro clippers, and whirls today. My flip whirls are feeling much better. My strong whirls have definitely clicked today. Also got the LOTW 6 on both sides today.

Highlights:

:arrow: tapping pickup BS (new move)
:arrow: tapping pickup>PLO BS
:arrow: 3x gyro clipper (PR)
:arrow: 5x whirl (PR) (goal reached!)

- LOTW + 5x whirls

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 06 Mar 2015 16:27

It's been two whole weeks since my last kick. It feels like forever. I just want to get rid of this shin issue once an for all. I will be letting my shins heal for a little longer then I will strengthen them. I am going to try and gradually bring footbag back in when I start doing the strength exercises. But that never happens ha.

I miss it a lot...I am going to try and take off another week or two.

Kim and I are moving out of South Yarra soon. We are looking at a cheap apartment (600 pcm) in Yarraville. Our plan is to work for three more months to save up then farm and travel to see the countryside. In October, right before we leave, we are planning a month-long road trip up the east coast up to Cairns.

Most of this will be funded by the federal tax return from America. Hopefully this exchange rate holds out till I get it.

LOTW Intermediate 7 and 8 are probably where I stop landing both sides. (paradon>whirl && ripwalk>swirl) I have only landed paradon twice and my swirls are very weak. I have been ghosting the paradons and swirls a lot lately. Hopefully that'll help.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 19 Mar 2015 04:43

Happy Birthday Sir, Shred on.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 19 Mar 2015 12:02

Chris Tristano,
gets to play with juho,
What a lucky jugalo,
wait, he's not a clown
And his favorite color aint brown
West Islip, Long Island
drip drip on an island
But your new island is really a continent
gettin better at footbag I bet
will you hit a furious set?
by the time you come back to suburbia
dont worry, I'm keepin it warm for ya
and playing with NYFA

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 19 Mar 2015 12:39

^hawt
Kevin Hogan

BSC

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 22 Mar 2015 06:50

awww hell!

I tried to kick about 1 1/2 weeks ago and my shins were hurting right away. i have been reading up on tibial stress fractures and I believe that's what is happening. The symptoms described are exact to what I have been feeling. Apparently it takes anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks to heal so I am out for that long. I'll have to take it easier when I start back up and really get my shin strength up before that.

In other news, Kim and I have been looking for places to live and we couldn't find anything for a reasonable price. So we decided to start WWOOFing around Australia. So I have my last week bar tending at Ladyboy (Thai restaurant) and then I'll be off to Marlo, VIC. Kim is going Wednesday and I will be meeting her at the farm the following Monday.

It'll be good to do work that doesn't require me to be on my feet all day on hard surfaces. Supposedly I wont even be farming. They want me to do some plumbing work. ha. It'll be nice to be producing again. Service is cool and all, but I really enjoy creating things.

My mental game is getting bored. I need to get physical and kick!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Mar 2015 05:26

When is the Canberra stop?

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 27 Jun 2015 10:36

Boyle: Sorry I am back in New York...This injury was getting worse and I couldn't really heal myself while in Australia. It was a great time though.

So just a little update on my footbag situation.

I left Australia and came back to New York to do some X-rays and MRI's and all that ish. As of last week I confirmed that I have stress fractures in both of my legs. It is clear that I pushed myself too hard too soon. I appreciate everyone who warned me about this and I didn't heed the warning severely enough. What is done is done though.

I am going to be in solitary confinement (Moving to my mothers house in Coram in a week 8O ) to do a month of minimal walking. The Doc said I could work but I tried it for the last 3 weeks and I don't feel any improvement. It has been 4 months since I have last kicked and the injury persists. I am going to pick a few lengthy video games and lay in bed for a month. She also has a piano which I have missed so much since being abroad.

Well that's it. Ill be back soon when the strengthening process begins.

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 06 Aug 2015 18:42

Chris is coming back strong
Never miss a clipper set and hit the bong
Healed on the couch for six weeks
and then caught a fish between his cheeks
He's Zohan
Hackysack a cat
The old rod lavers are back
Get a fresh new pair in black