Chris Tristano

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
ianek
BSOS Beast

Re: Chris Tristano

Post by ianek » 15 Jan 2015 04:53

search for ''shin splints'' on youtube. you'll find stretching and exercices to get rid of those. i had them very bad when i started playing, i did those exercices for months, never had shin splints again, it's been 10 years.
Ianek Regimbald

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 15 Jan 2015 06:29

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:
I highly suggest that you hang up the Lavers for 2 to 3 weeks right now, get good insoles, let your legs heal, try to do as little walking as possible for those few weeks, then come back and hopefully your legs will feel fresh. You can still practice in your head. Some of my biggest breakthroughs have happened when I was taking a break from footbag. Mental game is really important, too. .
Fortunately I just got some insoles. Unfortunately they are some off name brand but they feel pretty good. I did have to almost completely cut out the arch support on them. I don't know what this will do to my feet/legs with no arch support.

Other note: Fortunately I just got a job! Unfortunately it's a waiting job and I will be on my feet for about 5 hours straight every time I work. So I wont really be able to rest up my legs too much.

I have noticed that my shins are hurting less than they used too. But I think that is because I was using the new style lavs and staying away from pixies/stepping sets.

Other note: I am sad to announce that the first of my first batch of footbags has passed away. I found a hole in it when I was giving it a bath. It's a sad day. I also have notice that my second most used bag has some signs of wear that could lead to holes syndrome (I found two small tears). I beat the hell out of them and they have treated me well. Now I am down to 2.
ianek wrote:search for ''shin splints'' on youtube. you'll find stretching and exercices to get rid of those. i had them very bad when i started playing, i did those exercices for months, never had shin splints again, it's been 10 years.
Is there a specific one that has worked for you that I can get a link to? Everybody and their mother has a video on how to 'magically cure shin splints'. I have already started doing some but I don't think I am doing all that I should.

I am now basing my stretch off of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2G5WCJBpps

Doctor jo

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 Jan 2015 07:44

Those stretches are really good, definitely do those. I think the first important thing for me that cleared up my shin splints once and for all was walking around a track, alternating from heel walking, feeling that burn, then switching to toe walking, feeling that burn, then back to heal walking... Then repeat that until you can't stand it any longer. Ultimately that is what helped me the most. Good luck. And maybe message Ivan Iakimenko @isirc10 about getting a new bag. He sells 14 panels for pretty cheap

This post is dedicated to starving children in Africa
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 18 Jan 2015 06:10

Interesting session today.

I started with the shin stretches and strength exercises. It took me a little to get into it. I have to start doing them more frequently. But I think it help a little.

It was my first day using the insoles with the old style lavers. It felt very strange. I think the insoles I got were too shitty. Or I cut out too much of the arch support. My shins weren't hurting but my knees were. My feet also felt sore but that may have been from the shin exercises. I eventually switched to my new lavs. It was a short session.

My clippers weren't doing so good after I switched the shoes. I just realized why. I was using a newish bag thats not broken in and it was just rolling off alot. I gotta break these badboys in.

I had a lot of trouble with symposium mirages. I just couldn't get them today. I will have to try the LOTW again tomorrow.

Highlights:
new moves:
:arrow: stepping ss clipper BS

new links:
:arrow: stepping ss clipper>ripwalk BS

I think I am going to get the stepping bronze soon. I am thinking -- sidewalk OR stepping ss clipper > ripwalk repeat flip. Also Pixie bronze is looking within reach but I still need work on flip smear, ss mirage which is what I think I have the best chance with.

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 19 Jan 2015 04:21

I stretched out the shins today and did some strength exercises. My legs felt pretty good going into the session. I put on my new style lavs and I was working mainly on my flip clipper. I was dropping like a mad man. I worked on it for a while then I switch to the old style lavs. I PRed ss clippers on my flip. 21x. So refreshing to break a record on my flip. It's been so long.

I worked a little on bronze stepping. Getting pretty close. Did some pixie action. It was a little weak today.

My shins didn't really hurt today which was refreshing. Hopefully the stretching pays off long term.

Highlights:

:arrow: osis>far mirage>ss butterfly rpt 4x
:arrow: 21x ss clipper flip PR

new links:
:arrow: symposium mirage>ss illusion BS

not the best quality footage:

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 19 Jan 2015 12:38

Is the famous moustache gone? Or was that just the light? Game is looking good. Those badges make really good targets. I think you could do the stepping one.

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 21 Jan 2015 07:22

boyle: Haha yeah mustache is gone (for now :) ). I will be seeing you in Narooma!

So yeah I am taking a break from footbag until Sunday. Kim and I will be carpooling with Juho and Caroline to Narooma on Saturday. I am so stoked! I thought I was going to miss out on kicking with Juho. But now I am doing an 8 hr drive with they guy. I talked to Caroline on the phone and she seemed like a cool cat. This is going to be the first adventure from Melbourne!

I had to talk Kim into coming. She is worried about money which is understandable. Usually I am the fiscally conservative person. We have been laying low since we didn't have jobs. But I couldn't turn an opportunity like this up. Footbag, beach, bbq and beer?! Woof!

I might be a little short on rent 8) ....ahh YOLO! (I never say that)

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 21 Jan 2015 16:32

Narooma is great, it will be worth coming. Shouldn't be particularly expensive either.

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 27 Jan 2015 05:53

Wow Narooma was awesome!! Good people, good shred, and a good amount of beer! Oh yeah and my first time playing four square.

Highlights from the weekend:
:arrow: Caroline letting us drive her car which made everything possible for Kim and I
:arrow: Everyone that attended was super chill
:arrow: Nathan letting us use his spare bedroom
:arrow: Nathan: "Eating is cheating" (he doesn't eat when he drinks)
:arrow: The beach!
:arrow: the view!
:arrow: four square is a sweet game with the soocer ball
:arrow: four square is better with drinking and a footbag
:arrow: Kubb!
:arrow: Pavlova is delicious! (Thanks to Cara)
:arrow: Juho is stylee as hell
:arrow: Daniel just doesn't drop sometimes
:arrow: Dyalan's drifters are solid
:arrow: Ryan's atomsmasher's
:arrow: Australian's hospitality is on point...other countries, do better :wink:

What I have learned from this Jam:
-I have to work/learn the following things:
-Flipside whirls
-simple swirls
-spinning
-ducking
-clippers
-Style is more important than difficulty of the move/link
-Don't serve to Juho in four square if you want to win

Highlights of my game:
:arrow: clipper>flapper kick>clipper BS
:arrow: symposium whirl
:arrow: pixie ducking osis in a string twice!
:arrow: lots of pixies in strings

It I am very glad to have met and kicked with everyone. I had a blast!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Jan 2015 23:53

Was great you guys could make it to Narooma, that area is a part of Australia many people don't visit.

Adrian Dick from New Zealand will be in Melbourne the next days, he just posted in the Australian footbag group...you should try and catch up with him.

All your playing is really paying off...try and get in some more Juho sessions while you have the chance!

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 28 Jan 2015 19:56

boyle: Yeah I will definitely have to get in touch with him. And I would be damned if I don't kick with Juho again before he leaves.

So yeah. After reflecting a little more on the Narooma jam and kicking with Juho and Daniel I have decided to create some goals. I have tried to make them more reasonable and focused. It is also open ended so if there are any suggestions please speak up!

Footbag goals:
1. 50x SS clipper BS
2. 5x spinning clipper BS
3. 20x ducking clipper
4. 25x infinity
5. 50x ATW BS both directions
6. 25x osis
7. 25x illusion BS
8. 40x mirage
9. 50 titless run
10. 20 guiltless run
11. pixie bronze
12. stepping bronze
13. 50x leg over
14. 25x pickup
15. 5x SS whirl BS
16. 5x SS reverse whirl BS

It is in no particular order. I have never actually counted a tiltess run before so I am not sure what my record is. It can't be much over 20 though.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Jan 2015 20:36

I like the part where I am mentioned in the same sentence as Juho. 50 tiltless is a really good aim, it's a good way to build on your flow and get some nice variety going. Keep going with that pixie ducking stuff, looked pretty effortless for you.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 29 Jan 2015 05:08

christisgodlike wrote: Footbag goals:
1. 50x SS clipper BS
2. 5x spinning clipper BS
3. 20x ducking clipper
4. 25x infinity
5. 50x ATW BS both directions
6. 25x osis
7. 25x illusion BS
8. 40x mirage
9. 50 titless run
10. 20 guiltless run
11. pixie bronze
12. stepping bronze
13. 50x leg over
14. 25x pickup
15. 5x SS whirl BS
16. 5x SS reverse whirl BS

It is in no particular order. I have never actually counted a tiltess run before so I am not sure what my record is. It can't be much over 20 though.
I'm gonna have to steal all of these goals. I'll change the pickup to 50x though. I've never counted tiltless contacts either but I'm sure we can both hit 50 by the end of February if we tried. Also cant believe you're already ducking pixies, Im still frustratingly bad with them on my flip side.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 29 Jan 2015 16:51

Kylescook wrote: I'm gonna have to steal all of these goals. I'll change the pickup to 50x though. I've never counted tiltless contacts either but I'm sure we can both hit 50 by the end of February if we tried. Also cant believe you're already ducking pixies, Im still frustratingly bad with them on my flip side.
Yeah I am not sure I can do over 8x pickups now. They are very awkward so I have been staying away from them. I don't know what your mods are on your lavers are but pixies were a bitch until I cut out the first eyelid near the toe. And even better when I did the toe mod.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 30 Jan 2015 06:36

christisgodlike wrote: I don't know what your mods are on your lavers are but pixies were a bitch until I cut out the first eyelid near the toe. And even better when I did the toe mod.
I've got the inside layer removed on the toe and inside, I cut the threads to open the toe box but I kept the eyelets, and obviously changed the lace pattern. I've been avoiding cutting the eyelets until I'm absolutely comfortable with pixies to avoid learning them with poor form.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 30 Jan 2015 22:08

Short session before work today. Kept it fairly basic.

Highlights:

:arrow: 21x ATW o - i flipside PR
:arrow: 3x spinning clipper PR
:arrow: flipside spinning clipper (new I think)

I posted up a short vid of Narooma kicking that Kim took. She is going to use it for her blog post about the weekend. Her post should be up within 24 hours. Check out her site regardless.

It is not the best shred of the session by any measure. But it is from her perspective so she insists on using it.

http://makelovetotheworld.com/

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 31 Jan 2015 02:36

Enjoyed that writeup from Kim, it was great you guys could make it.

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 31 Jan 2015 04:31

Thanks for the video. I always get nervous when I see people shredding near water. :D

Also, Pixie Ducking Osis looks nice, never seen that trick.
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 31 Jan 2015 05:57

Add Block wrote: Also, Pixie Ducking Osis looks nice, never seen that trick.
That one was super sloppy looking. It does look pretty good when performed properly

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 31 Jan 2015 06:56

Been enjoying your regular highlights summaries....you are improving quickly. Also enjoyed both your writeup and Kim's writeup of the Narooma weekend. The photos in her blog were spectacular; I had not idea it is so beautiful there. It is also always fun to hear perspectives on footbag and footbag culture from non-players.