-=Silencer=-

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

-=Silencer=-

Post by Lycanthrope » 01 Jun 2015 11:15

"... I am exactly where I want to be because I realized I've got to commit my very being to this thing. I've got to breathe it, I've got to eat it, I've got to sleep it, and until you get there you will never be successful in life, but once you get there I guarantee you the world is yours,so work hard and you can have whatever it is you want." -Eric Thomas

I've started this new footbag footblog. I hope that I can find enough entertainment and function from this as a tool that it will become important to me. I hope you can find entertainment and value in it as well.

I just googled 'Silencer Footbag' and found my players card. It must be a little outdated, but It's hilarious.

Yes, that's exactly what I poster on facebook, so I'll go back and add quotes at this point. anyway, here:

Footbag players cards? I think so. :lol: It's from sport/life, so either Jay Boychuk or Dan Boyle made it? Worlds Finalist... aweeeee yeah. I'm glad to have outdone my previous self that year =)

I've also decided to post some highlights here. I started recording highlights within the last year as 'notes' on my phone. I don't want to give away all of the biggest combos right here, so I'll start at the oldest recorded highlights that my phone has in it, so it might be super random.

so here it is:

Zoid ducking dragonfly > ducking rake.

There is no date on it, so hopefully I've hit that before. ;)
I just found a shred log that I started last year, and it only has one entry. On 6/19/14 I played for 1.5 hours. Just enough detail? -_- Useless little shred log.

I also found an old step by step routine of a Flobots song that I never performed... Too bad I already have two other routine songs in mind for worlds...

Okay, so recent stuff that I've done in footbag..
Today is 6/1/15. It's monday, so not this past weekend, but one more weekend ago, I was at Stanford at the first ever Cardinal Cup! Brian and Steve were gracious hosts, and the time was epic. I somehow grundled out a dropless routine.

Sorry for temporary summaries, but I just have to get everything down on paper, and then I might go back and expand on some ideas.

This most recent weekend, I was involved in filming a commercial for hackysack. I'm pretty sure the commercial will only be 20-60 seconds, but hopefully it results in a win for the sport, and it's definitely something that inspired this footblog.

I've also started my second ever crowdfunding campaign at

https://www.tilt.com/campaigns/footbag- ... n-gatesman

so hopefully I can complete many projects successfully, because this would be a huge victory for the sport. There is a part of me that thinks that since Nick Landes and Jim Penske just succeeded in their crowdfunder and Brian is currently running one as well, but I believe that my destiny awaits and that I will be successful anyhow because the pit of my stomach wants it, and thus I will be driven to success. /end-pulpit

Alright, I just kind of wanted to let that flow and establish a start to this project, so hopefully this help people to be inspired and to shred huge in the future. Nick Polini just told me that there are no BAP players with active blogs on here. Ken was the first person to come to mind because of his skill level. Oh, yeah. Also check out Fanzine because his blog is awesome, and he has a ton of content. Hopefully this will be there one day.
Last edited by Lycanthrope on 15 Jun 2015 23:41, edited 3 times in total.
Evan 'OP' Gatesman

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Silencer - New Dawn

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 01 Jun 2015 11:49

Hell yes! I'll be reading this often!

Great to hear some of the stuff you're into right now. I hope this helps bring more people to modified, as well as motivates you. I'm stoked to see what you post next. Awesome that the filming for Hackysack worked out in your favor. Bonslaver showed me the Nike ad that the Hackysack people were trying to mimic and I thought it would look sick with just footbag. Good luck in all of your EVANts this summer.

And thanks again for all the inspiration you've provided me with through all these years. Hope to be near your level one day.

Peace.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 01 Jun 2015 12:02

Darn it Nick! I waaanted the first post! I was on the phone with Evan and planning to write the first post as soon as I got off, but when I got back to my laptop it had turned off -.-

But anyway, this is awesome! A super cool new footblog to add to the the mix! I hope it follows you through Europe this year.

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 01 Jun 2015 12:25

hi evan.

your blog title sounds it should be a vin diesel movie.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 01 Jun 2015 12:35

Very pumped to hear about the hackysack promo and to see what your blog will hold in the future. You've inspired me in many ways already.

Zoid ducking dragonfly > ducking rake. 8O
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 01 Jun 2015 12:48

Yeah, sorry. I meant zoid ducking pdx dragonfly kick > ducking rake, I think. But this blog is for muggles too. ;)

Also, I just wanted to say what an awesome job that Allan Haggett has done with cleaning up the layout on this forum. It feels really clean, and it's comfortable to post here!

I'm excited for the future of footbag.. there is infinite potential in the community to be the matches and ignite the community. Footbag really is for everyone just like yoga or meditation. I hope we can really build something together.
Evan 'OP' Gatesman

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 01 Jun 2015 12:52

I'd also like to show direction with the beginning this represents. I found a couple of shred goals that are also not dated in my iphone 5.

it reads:
Goals: fury> atomic drifter repeat, fury > atomic barrage > fusion repeat.

I haven't done either of these yet, but they look like a good direction to go in. Where is that dream combos list on modified....... hrrrrmmmm
Evan 'OP' Gatesman

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 01 Jun 2015 12:59

What! Silencer blog! What an awesome surprise! Definitely looking forward to seeing your insights on the game, as well as tourney/life experiences. If you do another Flobots routine, let me know. I showed the lead singer your one from Green Cup, and he was way into it:
Looking forward to shredding with you in Copenhagen this summer. I always enjoy shredding with you.

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 01 Jun 2015 13:23

I'm glad you're as excited as I am, Ken. Thanks for putting some color on the page.

That was actually my first ever dropless routine in a competition. The one at Cardinal cup two weekends ago marks my 8th ever dropless routine in comp, so I'm excited to have those benchmarks.

...and the second video is my default video on youtube by the way. Thanks for putting that together. Too bad I didn't have the bike shorts that day, though...

I guess this footblog would seem that it's usually going to be about me, but I like random tangents sometimes for entertainment porpoises, and I do want to help anyone who wants to learn footbag kung fu, so let's get down to business to defeat the huns if you know what I'm saying. On that note I'm going to shred.

I wonder if Jay Boychuk left footbag because we called him Boychuck Norris... He had good flavor on this forum long ago...

Shred time... I'll try to post how it went soon, since it's the first day, but don't expect this VIP treatment every day of shred ;)

One last random thought. My mother's name is Dawn. The initial title will probably change, but the first title is for her because I love her, and she's done everything she ever could for me.

/mush
Evan 'OP' Gatesman

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 01 Jun 2015 13:42

You're great.

Welcome back to modified!

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 01 Jun 2015 15:29

you're the bomb! Looking forward to your blogin. The Gatekeeper Image

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 01 Jun 2015 18:46

Look forward to more blogging. Jay made the card, there is one for everyone that was on the tour.

Look forward to seeing you in Europe.

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 01 Jun 2015 22:03

So glad to have this new spark of life on modified. Hopefully this will inspire more people to frequent and post here. Long live modified. Long live footbag.

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 02 Jun 2015 05:07

Hi Evan!

Glad to see you on modified! Yay!
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 02 Jun 2015 15:23

my session yesterday,

6/1/15
My session was pretty short. I had just got back from the L.A. roadtrip and been exhausted. I slept away most of the day.

On the bright side, the biggest highlight was pretty good.
swirling blender > flurry bs

^
I won't usually post current highlights, but I just wanted to be appreciative toward the early supporters of this blog.

quick notations:
bs = both sides
bsos = both sides one string
I use the left and right arrows to represent the flow of the run.
I often write something like
Ripwalk > sidewalk repeat bsos

or something ambiguous like that. If there is no punctuation then I just mean that would be the 4 trick combo bsos so 8 contacts.

Pretty standard, but just wanted to redefine.
Evan 'OP' Gatesman

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 02 Jun 2015 15:32

I think it would be super cool if you hit Fairy muted Swirling Osis/Blender. Just an idea..

The body placement tips for Clipper/Ripstein were really helpful. Thanks for that.

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 03 Jun 2015 10:08

I hope it really did help you out, Cass. I'm not great at explaining things sometimes as when I don't have to struggle and things come easily to me, I never have to break them down into useful pieces.

Thanks April!! It was good to see you in PA! And thanks so much for donating to my fundraiser. It's really helping me out. I still have yet to recreate your little custard things, but it will have to wait until after training season.

Paul, That was an awesome little post. It was like a speech for the queen or something.
Evan 'OP' Gatesman

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 03 Jun 2015 12:07

I had a long night with a close friend that I will be leaving behind in Vegas for a while. It wasn't all bad, but mixtures of emotions tend to be a weak point for me.

Anyway, I chose to get up and eat a snack for some shrenergy and go running in the park. I came home and shredded right after, and had a nice short session. maybe 30-45 minutes. I didn't take more than a couple breaks. After running, my legs felt really strong and useful; not tired and limp as I would have expected.

I started listening to my motivational music from last season. Mental inputs are more important than physical inputs I think, but both are important. This track is one of the reasons that I won circles last year and was able to train myself past the point where I thought my limits were. It's dense, but amazing. Try taking a listen if you get the chance or are training. You can also download it from the description on youtube.
I know a lot of shredders who would question the motive behind shredding and running back to back because it might lead to bad form or extra exhaustion, but pushing yourself is the only way to evolve and move forward.

Also, I've decided to include a quote on the start of each page. Mental inputs...
Evan 'OP' Gatesman

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 03 Jun 2015 15:32

Everytime I hear you say "try harder", I always imagine the scene at 50:47. Trying harder can beat death.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyXohnrEXVA?t=50m48s[/youtube]
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 03 Jun 2015 16:18

Dude, Derek, that video was raw af! The meat grinder part wtf?!

But, yeah, it's kind of like that.
Evan 'OP' Gatesman