AdAstra's Footblog: Hopefully be back soon

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
AdAstra
Multidex Master

Re: AdAstra's Footblog: flipside and fundamentals

Post by AdAstra » 06 Apr 2016 18:42

6 April 2016

Practiced later than normal today. Pretty stressed about a bunch of school work to do so Footbag is a wonderful escape.

Pretty much worked entirely on Flipside clipper with a little bit of Legover practice thrown in. Flipside Legover confidence is increasing!

Best Flipside ss clipper for today was 9. Was frustratingly out of synch on the timing for these but then something clicked. After hitting 9 I averaged way more than normal. No stupid mistakes in the first four contacts at all.

Not feeling super well today, hopefully it's just allergies; I hate not being able to shred so getting sick would be awful. I've really grown to love this game over the short time I've played. So much so that it's one of my favorite things to do and has consistently (over the last 4 months) been my go to activity to blow off steam or to just have fun.
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 Apr 2016 01:29

It's great how much you've got into the sport in a short time, you can tell in your progress. Have you been to any tournaments yet? That will take the passion to the next level.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 07 Apr 2016 06:17

boyle wrote:It's great how much you've got into the sport in a short time, you can tell in your progress. Have you been to any tournaments yet? That will take the passion to the next level.
Not yet. It seems like the Midwest/South East US is a vacuum with no Footbag tourneys to speak of. I can't really justify spending the money to travel to one until I can atleast be comfortably tiltless. Maybe I can travel this summer if there are any tournaments in the US.
Austin

Allan

Post by Allan » 07 Apr 2016 09:34

AdAstra wrote:I can't really justify spending the money to travel to one until I can atleast be comfortably tiltless.
There is no faster way to progress your game than to just go to a tournament. Don't worry about your relative skill level as you will learn soooo much just from being around a bunch of others.
AdAstra wrote:Maybe I can travel this summer if there are any tournaments in the US.
US Open in Idaho ... 8)

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 07 Apr 2016 10:40

Allan wrote:
US Open in Idaho ... 8)

That seems like a fun time, is there more info anywhere, Allan ?
Austin

Allan

Post by Allan » 07 Apr 2016 12:55

The link that I posted there is to the event listing with lots of detail... ? If the .org events listing doesn't cover it for you, here's the Facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1003154749764303/

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 07 Apr 2016 13:04

Allan wrote:The link that I posted there is to the event listing with lots of detail... ? If the .org events listing doesn't cover it for you, here's the Facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1003154749764303/
Allan thank you. I guess the information I'm missing is about the Footbag US opens in general. I'll have to figure out what it's all about.
Austin

Allan

Post by Allan » 07 Apr 2016 13:35

Ah! I see :) redshredz ? US Open is one of the longer running tournaments in North America. It's usually been held in Portland in years past, but is moving to Boise this year because of the strong community of upper-echelon players there. I would generally say that it's the 2-3rd most important event of the year for community; after Worlds and relatively tied with Euros, depending on the year and attendance. It's a big deal to win USO.

You should go 8)

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 09 Apr 2016 12:22

9 April 2016

So I think I might try to attend the US open to get a chance to learn from you all. I still need to check my calendar (and bank account) but I'm hoping I can make it.

Practice today felt pretty good. Had a few firsts and generally felt like I was hitting my tricks well. I can tell a catchup day will be necessary for my toe dexes since I've been spending so much time on my Flipside clipper.

Drills/highlights/observations:

:arrow: first pixie clipper! (Dexing leg did the stall, is there some modifier for the name on this one or no?)
:arrow: ss clipper drill, got my 101 challenge on film. Did a lot better thanks to my constant drilling lately. New PR 12 ss Flipside clippers!
:arrow: random tiltless strings. Dexes need to be drilled a bit next time.
:arrow: worked a bit on legovers both sides and strong side far butterfly

Austin

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 09 Apr 2016 21:07

AdAstra wrote:
:arrow: first pixie clipper! (Dexing leg did the stall, is there some modifier for the name on this one or no?)
Nice work on everything!

No shorthand name for pixie clipper that I know of. There are at least a couple of ways to do this trick. The way you did it has no plant after the pixie and kind of looks drifter-ish. Another way to do it would be to plant your set foot between the pixie set and the clipper delay. Sometimes you'll hear people say pixie muted clipper to describe the no plant version that you did (because you avoid the plant and the footwork is quieter). Sometimes you'll also hear people call the planted version a 'crispy' pixie clipper to emphasize that it was a pixie set followed by the delay.

Come to think of it, there is a third way to do the trick. Set straight up, plant, then do the dex and delay. That would be a toe set same side drifter.

So:
1) set > dex (no plant) > delay = pixie muted clipper
2) set > dex (plant) > delay = "crispy" pixie clipper
3) set (plant) > dex > delay = toe same drifter.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 11 Apr 2016 18:24

11 April 2016

So I forgot to mention, my hometown area now has a soccer(football) team to cheer for! FC Cincinnati! Can't wait to go to a game!

Anyways, practice today was eh. Flipside clipper felt impeded by soreness after a few consecutive.

Practiced the following:

- Flipside clipper ss
- ATW/Orbit Flipside (felt good!)
- strong side swirl
- Flipside near pickup
- Legover op Legover
- strong side far butterfly
- strong side Pdx mirage
- new link: Swirl > Flapper. Not bad.
- tried to work on clipper > flapper > clipper because flapper is a dead end for me. Still can't get the flapper to clipper part. Any tips?

Felt good to actually practice some strong side stuff. Going to try to start religiously practicing strings at this point to improve my flow. Also will be hitting the legovers and pickups hard.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 13 Apr 2016 14:57

13 April 2016

Going to be a great week weather-wise. Can't wait for the sun! Hello 70's and sunny 8)

Today I drilled:

-ss Flipside clipper as always.
-legovers both sides. Need to work on dexes, grrr.
-Flipside near pickup
-Stong side butterfly, infinity, toe ss butterfly.
-tiltless strings, but they all sucked since my dexes are rusty. Gotta work on them. Really loving the far Legover and near Legover on my strong side during these. Why can't I hit regular legovers well when I can nail these?

Highlights:
-22x Flipside ss clipper. This is huge for me! (New PR by ten) it felt so much easier (did this at the end of practice, must have been more warmed up or something)

Muscle fatigue killed me today. Might be the unhealthy diet I had this past week. Either way I'm going to play again Friday since I can't on Saturday.
Austin

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 14 Apr 2016 21:12

Nice highlights. Feel like we've been drilling similar stuff recently. I owe you a video if I'm not mistaken. Couple requests I'd like to see ya hit maybe, either bs or bsos:
Clipper > SS Clipper > Near Legover > Mirage
Butterfly > SS Butterfly > Near Pickup
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 16 Apr 2016 12:14

15 April 2016

Forgot to post yesterday. Shredded in the park and I was hitting some links with great confidence! Most at issue was my Flipside dexes which I will hopefully drill this coming week. Did an ATW with an American Football today which was random but cool.

Also put up a clip of a Double Orbit in Instagram. Felt good.

My strong side far Legover is legit now. Mostly worked on strings though.

Goals for this year:
-butterfly swirl
-whirl

Goals for this summer:
-control my flappers
-25 tiltless consecutive with considerable Flipside use.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Re: AdAstra's Footblog: Summer Tiltless Grind.

Post by AdAstra » 18 Apr 2016 17:18

18 April 2016

Drilled:
- ATW and orbit on each side to help improve my dexes. Flipside needs work before I can comfortably start drilling legovers.
- Flipside ss clipper.
- finally hit my first (plus a few more) clipper > flapper > clipper on strong side when drilling my flapper. Can't wait to be able to control flapper really well! Also hit my first Flipside flapper.
- near pickup both sides. My Flipside was pretty good today while my strong side was not.
- tiltless strings.

Going to be extremely busy the next three weeks so Footbag practices may be less often than my current 3-4 days a week schedule. Summer will offer me a great chance to improve I hope. Playing outdoors is just exponentially better. I plan to be tiltless by the end of May.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 20 Apr 2016 16:44

20 April 2016

So my right hip area is bothering me again. I think now that it may be the hip-flexor, not the psoas major. The pain was worse today than it has been in the past so I did nothing that involved raising my right leg. As such I just practiced Flipside ATW and Orbit and did calf raises. Also did 14 ss Flipside clippers before the pain started.

Any hip flexor advice out there?

Edit: also hit my first cloud, appropriate as there seems to be a cloud of weed smoke perpetually over my neighborhood today. Hashtag four twenty?
Austin

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 23 Apr 2016 12:05

Allan wrote:Ah! I see :) redshredz ? US Open is one of the longer running tournaments in North America. It's usually been held in Portland in years past, but is moving to Boise this year because of the strong community of upper-echelon players there. I would generally say that it's the 2-3rd most important event of the year for community; after Worlds and relatively tied with Euros, depending on the year and attendance. It's a big deal to win USO.

You should go 8)
Yup, from the confirms/messages we have been receiving looks to be the biggest event in North America since Worlds 2010, biggest non Worlds event here since the 2006 US Open for freestyle. Should be pretty hot ;)

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 23 Apr 2016 13:32

23 April 2016

Went to the park since it is an absolutely gorgeous day. Worked almost exclusively on strings and really impressed myself with the flow I had going. Watching videos of you all gives me a better rhythm, so thanks for that.

I made sure to utilize Flipside clippers and near pickups in my strings so I can use them to become more two sided. Ended up getting double digit tiltless strings multiple times. I had a pretty decent variety too. I even threw in an osis which is new for me in the context of a real life string (clipper > osis > clipper link felt cool).
DC Clinks wrote:Nice highlights. Feel like we've been drilling similar stuff recently. I owe you a video if I'm not mistaken. Couple requests I'd like to see ya hit maybe, either bs or bsos:
Clipper > SS Clipper > Near Legover > Mirage
Butterfly > SS Butterfly > Near Pickup
Thanks! Hit the first string on strong side today and am working on the Flipside. My Flipside Legover is just plain bad at the moment. As soon as I can hit the first challenge both sides I'll film it. Havent drilled mirages much at all so hopefully this drill will help me improve.
redshredz wrote:
Yup, from the confirms/messages we have been receiving looks to be the biggest event in North America since Worlds 2010, biggest non Worlds event here since the 2006 US Open for freestyle. Should be pretty hot ;)
Sounds like a lot of fun!
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 26 Apr 2016 14:34

26 April 2016

Senior thesis presentation and finals seem to be about to take over so the next eight days or so might only see 1 or 2 practices. Better make this one today count.

Also: looks like rain for the next week so indoor practices are a thing again I guess.

Highlights:
-BSOS near mirage
-pickup > ss clipper > near pickup > op clipper > op clipper > far Legover > clipper. While it was only 7 moves, the majority of them were Flipside so that felt promising. Having the Flipside clippers in the middle of the string was a good sign too. I probably could have kept going had I not been practicing in my cramped room.
-I hit DC's first challenge both sides, filmed it even though it wasn't exactly the cleanest I've ever done.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 28 Apr 2016 14:58

28 April 2016

So I hope you all don't mind me posting every time I practice. It's a good way for me to log my progress and hopefully will be a good tool for noobs to look at and see where I went wrong and what I did right. Once I get good of course. :determinedface:

Highlights:
- cool tiltless string which included some mirage stuff so that's new in the context of a long ish string
- hit my first far double Legover. (I think? Clipper set plant, dex support leg, dex original clipper leg and stall on toe of setting leg. Is this right?) Straight Dope Muffins regardless of what it's called.
- clipper > op far butterfly > op clipper > osis. Decided this would be the string i was going to hit today and I did it.
- also worked on Flipside Pdx mirage. It's getting better 8)
- first BSOS Pdx mirage!! :D

In other news I was just notified that I was nominated for the physics and astronomy Senior of the year award which is pretty cool! Summer is so close.
Austin