AdAstra's Footblog: Hopefully be back soon

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
AdAstra
Multidex Master

Re: AdAstra's Footblog: Summer Tiltless Grind.

Post by AdAstra » 02 Jun 2016 09:34

2 June 2016

Another week off to rest the right hip area. Stretches seem to be helping and I did some strengthening exercises the physical therapy guy gave me that will probably be of interest to everyone so I'll try to do a write up sometime soon. Maybe even in this post if I have time later today to add to it.

Practiced today in ridiculous humidity. Finally think I'm back from the injury list. Not in form yet but that's okay. It'll come. My timing and Flipside clipper took a hit from the break so I'll be working on that this week.

Drills:
-ss clipper Flipside
-clipper op clipper
-near pick up both sides
-far Legover Flipside
-tiltless strings

Highlights:
-new trick: far butterfly heel?
-built my way up to double digit tiltless strings so I'm certainly not too far set back.
-possibly my first pixie legover.
-leg muscles are reeeaaalllyyyy improving. Double orbit and far double Legover (still not sure this is the right name) feel much easier. Not consistent yet but it feels close.

Cut practice short of two hours today because I didn't want to overdo it.

So here are the stretches/exercises that help in Footbag according to the physical therapist:

-Hip flexor/psoas stretch: lying on a high surface, let leg in question dangle off side of surface. Bring op leg towards chest while keeping hanging leg down. Do not lean your head forward, keep your back down.

-Leg Stabilizer w/ band: using a resistance band anchored to a low object, fast kicks forward (away from anchor) x20+ , rotate 90deg and side kick (again away from anchor) , etc for all four directions. This works primarily the non kicking leg's stabilizing muscles which is obviously a big deal in our sport in addition to dexing muscles in the kicking leg.

-basic stalls with band: using a resistance band, anchored low and behind you, do basic toe stall motion (no bag), basic outside kick motions, basic inside kick motions (turn a little bit for this one), and lastly, with the anchor behind you like the toe stall part, do clipper motion and move foot up and down to work hamstrings/quad/stuff.

-Side steps with band: make figure eight / infinity sign with resistance band and loop each leg. Facing the same direction the entire exercise, sidestep 15-20 meters one direction, then 15-20 meters back. Really helps with the pickups

-Planks: Doc could not stress enough the importance of core strengthening in this sport. According to him, a strong core can prevent a large number of injuries in seemingly unrelated areas. Props to Cass for pointing this out in one form or another in the Footbag advice thread.

-quad dip stretch: place leg to be stretched on high surface behind you. Grab a chair or something infront of you and then proceed to dip in a sort of lunging manner towards the ground. This will strengthen your bottom leg quad while stretching your top leg's quad/hip flexor region.

-elliptical was also suggested.

Is there a place for Footbag related exercises? Would be cool to have a compendium of sorts.

Song today:

[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc[/youtube]
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 05 Jun 2016 14:33

5 June 2016

Felt pretty good today. I think I can declare myself back to 100%.

Drills:
- worked on pixie sets a little bit. Mostly just the set. Hit PLO bs and pixie op clipper bs.
- worked on ss and op clipper drills
- tiltless strings (New PR!!! 28 consecutive all tiltless.) :D :D :D
- worked a little on my reverse swirl technique on Flipside. Even though I can't hit this trick yet, I'm trying to build the muscles up. Hit a few on strong side.
- worked on Flipside near pickup from hand set and also clipper near pickup BSOS
- worked on the foundation for what I think might be called a far switchover? Footed it a couple times! Nick says "Reaper". Legit.
- did some toe ss mirages on strong side. Really need to incorporate these into my game more.

Question: I hit a pixie (dexing foot tap) back to a Legover. Not sure if I'm calling it the right thing. Is this Magellan?

Also did some soccer/football footwork type drills. Can anyone say for sure if these are helpful?

Over all a huge practice for me! :footbag:

Life stuff: got a summer job tutoring math and science. Woop woop!
Austin

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 Jun 2016 21:18

Reaper is on my favourite tricks to do, love it. Magella is correct. Nice work on the teaching gig.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 07 Jun 2016 12:01

7 June 2016

boyle wrote:Reaper is on my favourite tricks to do, love it. Magella is correct. Nice work on the teaching gig.

Thanks!

Practice today:

Drills:

- clipper op clipper
- Flipside far Legover
- toe ss mirage strong side (not sure why I never really practiced this one)
- tiltless strings

Highlights:

- new trick. Like Magellan but instead a ss butterfly. Pixie set > dex foot tap > butterfly dex and stall.
- rev swirl > Pdx mirage. Good form and everything!
- first Flipside toe ss butterfly. Finally enough crank to hit a Flipside butterfly! It's been a long time coming.

Got fatigued pretty early on. Not conditioning, it was more muscle fatigue from an intense practice the other day.

Also randomly decided to try my hand at making a hype video for the local FC:
Austin

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 08 Jun 2016 03:01

Some Magellan music: https://soundcloud.com/qualitygoodsrecs ... ep-qgr-001

Props for Reaper. That is a dope trick.
- new trick. Like Magellan but instead a ss butterfly. Pixie set > dex foot tap > butterfly dex and stall.
That is a Parkwalk

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Jun 2016 03:27

Did you see the recent article in The Guardian about Cincinnati FC? It's from about a month back, good read. https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ces-soccer

Have you been paying any attention to the Copa America Centenario?

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 08 Jun 2016 05:24

boyle wrote:Did you see the recent article in The Guardian about Cincinnati FC? It's from about a month back, good read. https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ces-soccer

Have you been paying any attention to the Copa America Centenario?
I did see that. Everyone here was pretty pumped to get the coverage on the other side of the pond!

I am paying attention to the Copa America. I don't have the channel unfortunately so I can only watch the games at a bar or on an online stream if I find it. Watched the USMNT win 4-0 last night.
Austin

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 09 Jun 2016 04:55

I imagine I would probably be paying a lot more attention if I was still in Chile, the timing here is not great, but I will try and catch a few games over the weekend.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 09 Jun 2016 12:07

9 June 2016
boyle wrote:I imagine I would probably be paying a lot more attention if I was still in Chile, the timing here is not great, but I will try and catch a few games over the weekend.
Oh yeah, I forgot you were in Chile for awhile. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch any of the games Saturday but hoping for a US draw or better.

Anyway practice again today.

Drills:
- dexing around a cone. Always seems to help. My dex speed is so much quicker than when I started out its unreal. Really hard to believe!
- worked on Flipside ATW and Orbit because my Flipside dexes have been struggling.
- Flipside and strong side near pickup. Why am I so bad at these?!
- Flipside far Legover
- toe op toe because it might help my pick ups. New PR: 63x
- clipper drills
- strong side toe ss mirage
- tiltless strings

Sucky practice.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 16 Jun 2016 10:09

16 June 2016

Busy week. Had a wedding out of town so my weekend saw zero Footbag. Started officially working this week. Also got a new soccer ball and am learning how to juggle. A lot easier now that I have the base from Footbag. It's been 90's F this week so way to hot for me to practice that long. Trying today now that it's *only* 88F. I practice on a concrete slab so it probably feels even hotter than that. Ugh. Really rusty after a week of virtually no practice.

Drills:

- ss clipper both sides.
- ATW and Orbit both sides to get my dexes crisper.
- tiltless strings.
- odds n ends

Highlights:

- Flipside ankle crank ftw! Finally hit a far butterfly on Flipside. BSOS'd it and it felt incredibly easy. About damn time.

Unfortunately I'm feeling a bit of the same pain that I felt before my strong side injury but this time on the weak side so I'll have to play it safe. Lots of stretches and strengthening exercises and of course rest
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 21 Jun 2016 13:13

21 June 2016

Happy summer northern hemisphere! It's been too hot for me to practice much. It's been around 90-95 F plus humidity plus concrete so I'm going to have to change my routine. Hopefully I can practice later in the evening or early in the morning.

Today I drilled:

-Flipside near pickup
-Flipside far Legover
-strong side toe ss mirage
-tiltless strings
-ss and op clipper drills
-far butterfly bs

Highlights:

-Hit my first whirl today. Or reverse whirl. Idk.
-Far butterfly > reverse swirl > Pdx mirage sick 3
Austin

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 21 Jun 2016 13:58

That's quite a nice sick 3 for how long you've been playing for.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 21 Jun 2016 19:33

boyle wrote:That's quite a nice sick 3 for how long you've been playing for.
Thanks! It felt good to have a guiltless sick 3.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 27 Jun 2016 14:10

27 June 2016

Played like garbage today. I really need to find a good player to meet up with to coach me a bit.

So the temp and humidity are still awful and I'm busy so practices are not often. Once or twice a week as opposed to 3-4 on my normal schedule. My form is suffering because of it.

Drills:
-ss clipper bs
-clipper op clipper
-toe op toe
-Flipside Legover. I'm garbage at these.
-ATW and Orbit bs
-Tiltless strings , only got 15 :(
-near pickup bs. I hate these with a passion. They were my first trick out of a clipper set yet somehow I can never hit them now.
-shit

I feel like i practice the same crap every day this month without progress.
Austin

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Jun 2016 22:29

It gets tough when you're sort of levelling out on that upward swing. You've had a pretty strong trajectory so far, so now it's realistic that you won't see so much progress so quickly.

A good practice drill for clippers (alternating) is to start doing 1 clipper, then keep increasing the number (you could start with 5), then once you get to the target number you come back down. That's a good stamina one.

What did you think of the Copa America? Another victory for Chile, after nothing in the previous 99 years!

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 28 Jun 2016 09:40

boyle wrote:It gets tough when you're sort of levelling out on that upward swing. You've had a pretty strong trajectory so far, so now it's realistic that you won't see so much progress so quickly.

A good practice drill for clippers (alternating) is to start doing 1 clipper, then keep increasing the number (you could start with 5), then once you get to the target number you come back down. That's a good stamina one.

What did you think of the Copa America? Another victory for Chile, after nothing in the previous 99 years!
I agree I can't keep my improvement pace indefinitely but it seems like a step back lately.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll try it out.

Chile was impressive. Couldn't believe Vidal and Messi both missed the PK's at the end tho.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 29 Jun 2016 13:09

29 June 2016

Practice today. Had a leg workout playing soccer yesterday but wanted to practice today anyway since it only got up to 84F today.

Drills:
:arrow: toe op toe
:arrow: ss clipper stamina drill that DB suggested. Pretty tough after my workout yesterday. Went up to five and back down, sure I can do better when I'm rested.
:arrow: tiltless strings (best only 15)
:arrow: ATW and Orbit both sides
:arrow: clipper op clipper drill (only got 14 best, the fatigue is real)
:arrow: toe ss mirage both sides

Also have been running to get the cardio up

Highlights:
:arrow: PLO bs
:arrow: infinity bs

Needs work:
-clipper sets

Overall a decent practice considering the fatigue from consecutive leg days in the heat.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 07 Jul 2016 08:55

Been pretty busy lately and haven't been super motivated to play. However, after watching the US Open video, I can't wait to play. Hashtag st0ked.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 09 Jul 2016 12:56

9 July 2016

Still pretty damn busy. I need to focus on getting in some more shred.

Watched some US Open footage and it really make me want to wear the US uniforms to worlds sometime. I think that would be a good goal for me in the longer term.

On that subject of videos though; watching you all shred is inspiring. Awesome work gang.

Practiced today. Didn't sleep much last night though so I feel really slow. Thanks Carlsberg and pizza.

Drills:
-ss clipper both sides. Flipside is rough when I take breaks like this: best was 7:( the tendons in my foot/ankle hurt a tiny bit when doing them. Not like an injury or anything tho.
-tiltless strings.
-worked on trying to hit reaper strong side.
-clipper op clipper drill
-Flipside ATW and Orbit

Highlights:
-while it's not much, I hit a toe ss mirage in a string without thinking about it. Seems like a turning point for a more diverse go-to trick bank. Normally I would have had to think about it.
-Bsauced far butterfly.
-near pickups felt a bit better finally.

Messed around a bit at the end and tried to work on the motions for a far butterfly swirl. Dream trick of mine at the moment.

Also I've been doing a lot of solo soccer stuff and running so hopefully my footbag game benefits from the extra leg workout. :footbag:
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 13 Jul 2016 12:30

13 July 2016

Damn was I sore from my last workout. Finally able to play again.

Drills:
-the usual warm ups
-ss clipper drill, increase by one up to n ss clippers and then step down by one back to one clipper. Strong side n=10, Flipside n=9.
-more ss clipper stuff
-near pickup both sides. Ss and op drills. Improvement noticeable
-toe ss mirage both sides
-tiltless strings. Felt crisp and confident on these 8) consistently double digits. Didn't practice these for too long though.
Austin