Starting over

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
cammel
Fearless

Re: Starting over

Post by cammel » 16 Jan 2021 19:52

TPP Edit:
Found some work by Joshua Flint on an art blog I sometimes scroll through. Really liked his work.
https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2020/01/ ... paintings/
https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2017/07/ ... hua-flint/
https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/12/ ... hua-flint/

A little session today. Highlights:

:arrow: Practiced double downs, hit Paradon, DOD, DDD and barfly bs
:arrow: Diving clipper > Ducking clipper > rpt (first time..)
:arrow: Far (paradox?) double pickup bs
:arrow: Stepping whirl bs
:arrow: Spinning osis BSOS (in the weakest string ever..)

Ducking/Diving and spinning feeling a bit better these days, which is nice.

Last edited by cammel on 19 Jan 2021 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 16 Jan 2021 21:03

Nice highlights. DDDs are hard, so well done.

Also, come to think of it, I was practicing guays the other day at the beginning of my sesh, likely from watching your vids.
cammel wrote:
16 Jan 2021 19:52
Ducking/Diving and spinning feeling a bit better these days, which is nice.
Those components are fun, and it is cool to see you doing more spinning. One lesson I wish I learned early on was to drill the hell out of gyro clippers. They are great practice for spinning. One thing they do is develop an independence between the set and the spin.

I like the feel of ducks and dives, especially when they are deep. Here is a vid of a drill I hit. Maybe it will provide motivation for you to hit the same? :)

TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 17 Jan 2021 20:33

No paradox for double pickup, it's got to be tricks where it comes back to the other side, so you're making a kind of "S" motion with the leg. Great trick though.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 19 Jan 2021 21:23

Tjuggles wrote:
16 Jan 2021 21:03
Nice highlights. DDDs are hard, so well done.
Thanks! Yea, those are definitely the weirdest for me.
Tjuggles wrote:
Also, come to think of it, I was practicing guays the other day at the beginning of my sesh, likely from watching your vids.
Nice! Yea, I like the movement a lot and I think they look cool. The illusioning version is a little harder and looks kinda awkward, but I've been trying to work on those too.
Tjuggles wrote:
I like the feel of ducks and dives, especially when they are deep. Here is a vid of a drill I hit. Maybe it will provide motivation for you to hit the same? :)
Haha, that drill is very far out of reach, but I was able to hit both zulu and weaving clipper on both sides in my last session, honestly maybe all four of those are for the first time.
boyle wrote:
17 Jan 2021 20:33
No paradox for double pickup
Damn! Thats one hell of a hard 3 add!

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 25 Jan 2021 08:21

Had a couple more sessions, worked on a few tough concepts for me. Hit on both sides swirls, reverse swirls, drifters, weaving clipper, zulu clipper. Swirls are still so awkward for me, I really need to work on my body shape I think, I'm super off balance after finishing one. And I have stupid little dexes, I want huge loopy dexes, :lol:. My swirling leg seems way too close to my plant leg or something, a lot of times I dont feel like I cant get around the bag because I just hit my plant calf. But I'm not sure I had hit rev swirl either side before, so thats progress.

Did some drills, pixie muted clipper > pdx illusion rpt is fun. Finally got DATW both directions both sides in the same string which is nice Worked a bit on furious sets at the end, maybe getting a bit better, but not able to land anything out of it yet. Probably should try to focus more on basics, but furious sets are just too cool.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 30 Jan 2021 21:05

Got some time to play today, got pretty close to a lot of things, but it was mostly a session of close but not quite, spent a lot of time off balance and falling over. Had near eggbeater and near DLO BSOS and had the second pdx eggbeater off my foot in the same string. Got really close to atom smasher x2 but could never land it. Sumo off my foot. Sorta close to far pickup > inspinning legover. Almost blur->pixie butterfly >rpt. Almost fairy butterfly > blizzard > rpt. Almost blizzard>DATW BSOS. Lots of frustration.

Did hit barrage > paradon both sides. rubberman drill is a big goal of mine, so I'm working on all the links. ducking and spinning getting a bit more comfortable.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 31 Jan 2021 14:07

Nice combos in there! I liked the pixie muted op clipper > spinning legover > rpt. How about trying pixie muted op clipper > gyro mirage > rpt? I bet you can do that.

I also really liked the sound of the bag in that vid. Thanks for posting!
TJ Boutorwick

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 05 Feb 2021 06:56

Thanks! Had a little session a couple days ago, just worked on some drills with moves ending in inside stall, guays and reverse guays and such. Got about 3.5 of the contacts of the pixie muted op clipper > gyro mirage drill, just missed the stall on the last mirage, arg. Thanks for the recommendation!

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 08 Feb 2021 17:44

Did some more drills with and strings trying to BSOS a bunch of different moves ending in inside stall
:arrow: miraging + illusioning inside BSOS
:arrow: pdx miraging + pdx illusioning inside BSOS, almost with blurry guay BSOS
:arrow: spinning far guay BSOS
:arrow: double guay BSOS
:arrow: DLO ending inside BS
:arrow: baraging inside BS
:arrow: whirl > whirling inside > whirl BS
:arrow: clipper set inspinning inside BS
:arrow: close to far guay > muted swirl BS, which felt like a cool link
:arrow: torque BS (really have trouble with torques because my osis is bad)
:arrow: many many attempts at far guay > inspinning legover BS. got it strong side but couldn't manage it on my bad spinning side.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 10 Feb 2021 18:03

Short session, worked on osis, had some nice some drill highlights.
:arrow: clipper > drifter, 7 contacts
:arrow: stepping clipper > blurry clipper, 7 contacts
:arrow: spinning butterfly > ducking clipper > rpt
:arrow: dimwalk > blur > rpt
:arrow: PS illusion BSOS

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 13 Feb 2021 12:02

For some reason when I'm trying to work on sets I feel like I should have some downtime component that isn't just a stall, but I think thats actually been making it a lot harder for me when trying to get comfortable with sets. So going to be working on just pixie/fairy to ss toe or op toe drills. Did a bit of that in a short session, worked on spinning a bit. Did two fun links BS: gyro mirage > eggbeater and spinning mirage > DOD.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 15 Feb 2021 18:08

I've been frustrated with how poor my osis are. I don't have the best crank in the world, but my form is definitely the bigger problem. Have worked on a few drills and moves with osis.
:arrow: near osis > far osis > rpt
:arrow: clipper > ss osis > rpt for 25 contacts
:arrow: blender BS, dyno BS, stepping dyno BS
feeling a bit better about osis now, definitely happy with the 25 contacts, feels like it starting to click.

I've found myself in the middle of sessions wanting to work on something new but having run out of ideas for moves/links/drills. So I wrote a little python script to randomly generate strings for me. It takes as an input two lists, the first is all the sets I can hit, the second is all the downtime components I can hit. It also takes as parameters how long I want the string to be, whether I want it to be a drill (end of the opposite stall that it starts on),min/max adds of moves in the string, the frequency for moves to have a set, frequency of moves to have spins, and the frequency of moves to have ducks/dives. Moves are then built up piece by piece.

The reason I don't just have a big list of all the moves I've hit is that it seems like it would be a) too long, and b) there are moves that I could hit, but probably wouldn't think to put in there, like fairy zulu inside stall, or something like that. By having a few lists of components that I can do it can just put them together in all the possible ways. Being able to set the frequency of different components is nice too, if I really want to work on spins, I just set spin frequency to 1 and then every move will have a spin component. Currently I haven't figured out how to make it recognize paradox adds (largely because I dont entirely understand the rules myself).

Anyway, these were a few that it spit out that I'm going to try and work on cause they seemed cool.
Hit:
Stepping ss Guay > Far Clipper > rpt

BS no drill:
PLO > Backspinning Mirage > rpt
Stepping op Inside > Weaving Clipper > rpt

For next time:
Toe ss Eggbeater > Ducking Gyro Toe > rpt
Toe ss Reverse Whirl > Far Double Pickup > rpt
Clipper Weaving Illusioning Inside > ss Reverse Whirl > rpt
Spinning Illusioning Inside > ss Whirl > rpt
op Illusion > Fairy op Clipper > rpt
Spinning Mirage > ss Symposium Butterfly > rpt
Double Switchover > Inspinning Weaving Toe > rpt
Toe Diving Clipper > Stepping op Pickup > ss Double Switchover > rpt

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 16 Feb 2021 04:57

I think your crank is OK - it's difficult to do repeated osis tricks. I would work on stuff like inside stall>wrap>osis - should help build strength in the position.

There are a couple of apps that a few players have made in regards to tricks - TJ has done one, also Alex Trenner in Austria. Anssi also did one, although I'm not sure if that's still available. That one gives you combo challenges.

cammel
Fearless

Zoom, zoom.. drop

Post by cammel » 26 Feb 2021 16:53

Thanks for the suggestion! Did some of the inside stall -> wrap -> osis, definitely a good drill for getting more comfortable in that position.

Worked on some links with a zooming component. Love this component, but find it really difficult. Started getting there, but kept dropping on BSOS. Both sides a little more consistent though.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 02 Mar 2021 20:55

A few more strings from a recent session. Working on some atomic sets, some more guay/reverse guay, spinning. Hit motion both sides but they were fairly ugly.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 25 Mar 2021 08:10

Had about three weeks off from footbag unfortunately, but at least while I wasn't playing I had time to stitch a new bag. Quite like it, broke it in yesterday. Was a little rusty, didn't do anything too exciting. Ducking clipper -> ducking legover BSOS. swirling xbody rake on my strong side was kinda cool. Hopefully will be practicing more regularly now.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 25 Mar 2021 15:59

Nothing like kicking after an extended break! Welcome back. Looking good; nice and bouncy. Your stepping sets are looking quite effortless. Nice!
TJ Boutorwick

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 28 Mar 2021 09:16

I hear you on the break. Thanks to school, work, and weather it's been about two weeks for me. It'd be cool to see some of the bags you've made and I would be interested in a trade if you're up for it. Let me know!
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Mar 2021 15:36

The double pickups are so sexy!

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 30 Mar 2021 13:30

Muffinman wrote:
28 Mar 2021 15:36
The double pickups are so sexy!
Thanks! Yea, this is one of my favorite tricks that I am comfortable enough with to hit BSOS regularly!
mtoolan wrote:
28 Mar 2021 09:16
I hear you on the break. Thanks to school, work, and weather it's been about two weeks for me. It'd be cool to see some of the bags you've made and I would be interested in a trade if you're up for it. Let me know!
Yea, a trade would be awesome! I'll need a bit of free time to stitch a new one. A little more close-up on the new bag in the video below.
Tjuggles wrote:
25 Mar 2021 15:59
Nothing like kicking after an extended break! Welcome back. Looking good; nice and bouncy. Your stepping sets are looking quite effortless. Nice!
Thanks! I think a bit of time off helped, maybe I play a bit too frequently and need more recovery time..

Had a really good session yesterday, fairy legover BSOS mid string was nice, its been a lot of work trying to get flip fairy to work at all. Barfly BSOS, Fog BSOS, pdx Egg BSOS (with strong blurry egg), tripwalk BSOS, almost scorpion's tail BSOS (first time hitting it on my weak side a few times). Spinning clipper > drifter BSOS.