Starting over

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Top Post Painting!

Post by C-Fan » 04 Jun 2020 18:17

Top Post Painting!

This is a tradition I tried to get going on Modified, where if you got the top post on a page of somebody's blog you were obliged to post a painting you like, and ideally why you like it.

Here is one of my favorite Thomas Eakins paintings:

The NYT recently did a piece on this which taught me a bunch of details I never knew.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... linic.html

cammel
Fearless

Re: Starting over

Post by cammel » 10 Jun 2020 20:19

Haha, thanks for the top post painting! Cool article too!

Been a busy week, went to some BLM marches on Saturday, and defended my thesis yesterday. It was a weird thing to do remotely during the lockdown, but a relief to have it finished.

Finally got around to having a little time to footbag. Nothing terribly exciting, felt pretty tired most of the time. Double pickup and eggbeaters both sides. Also reverse eggbeater (downtime miraging pickup) on both sides, which is a pretty fun move. I think I'll try some more downtime miraging stuff next time I play (drifters, torque, etc.)

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Jun 2020 01:27

Nice stuff! Great to see you threw that stepping op clip > stepping same clip > rpt combo into the mix. You have great bounce in your stepping set. You also have a lot of cushion and bounce in your p mirages I noticed. Finally, great barrage, and nice eggbeaters (actually I think those are bubba beaters since they are set from clipper)!

Looking good, keep up with those videos please!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 11 Jun 2020 17:08

main update is an equipment one, my girlfriend has taken some sharpies to my lavers haha (its a work in progress)

up to 5 contacts of the stepping/blurry clipper drill.
pdx mirage > near butter > osis > rpt.
11x infinity.
whirl > osis >rpt
3x whirl BS
drifter BSOS, not sure why thats so hard for me on my weak side, but it feels super awkward

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Jun 2020 20:49

I like the style on the Lavers. Your game is looking smooth. I think you are lifting your leg up too high on the flip drifter, the other one looked great, but the first you looked like you were putting a lot of work into it.

What was your thesis on? Is that for a phd?

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Jun 2020 23:55

boyle wrote:
11 Jun 2020 20:49
Oh yeah, I wanted to ask that too.
TJ Boutorwick

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 12 Jun 2020 08:20

boyle wrote:
I like the style on the Lavers.
Thanks! Yea, I also modded the toe box some. I had the lacing in the "normal" way, but I felt like the toe box walls were a bit too high. It made catching toe stalls with bad form a little easier, but I think in the long run was really going to be a pain with toe sets. The bag would sometimes just wedge itself next to the wall of the toe box and not really come out. So I took the metal eyelet out of the lowest hole and folded those parts under and sewed them down. I definitely noticed I was dropping more toe stalls without having those really big walls, but I think I'll just have to be better about my form.
boyle wrote:
I think you are lifting your leg up too high on the flip drifter, the other one looked great, but the first you looked like you were putting a lot of work into it.
Definitely putting what feels like way too much work into it. I'll play around with trying to lift the leg less.
boyle wrote:
Yea, PhD, I study environmental microbiology, so microbes that are out in the world doing stuff not really related to human health. Most of my work is on some microbes that live in methane seeps on the bottom of the ocean. They eat the methane before it can get out into the atmosphere, which is good cause methane is a really bad greenhouse gas. These microbes cant be grown in the lab, so we don't know too much about them.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 12 Jun 2020 14:22

cammel wrote:
12 Jun 2020 08:20
Yea, PhD, I study environmental microbiology, so microbes that are out in the world doing stuff not really related to human health. Most of my work is on some microbes that live in methane seeps on the bottom of the ocean. They eat the methane before it can get out into the atmosphere, which is good cause methane is a really bad greenhouse gas. These microbes cant be grown in the lab, so we don't know too much about them.
Interesting. I know a guy out here in NZ who was looking at a different kind of microbe, but not sure exactly what the research was about. At any rate, congratulations on defending! That is pretty much the last milestone before depositing. I trust you have minor revisions? My revisions took about 3 months on and off. I remember it being not something I wanted to do. More than anything it was the feeling of being ready to stop thinking about my thesis. That was in 2017 and thinking back, as I often do, those 4 years were incredible.
TJ Boutorwick

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 13 Jun 2020 14:41

Cool, what was your thesis about? Mostly minor comments for the existing chapters, but my committee wants me to write a whole additional chapter, which is going to take a minute. I also have a postdoc lined up that starts in two months, so it all needs to be finalized before that starts. Soo.. no rest just yet.

Not the most successful session today. Pretty hot in southern california right now. Practiced some drills like far/near butterfly > rpt, whirl > far butterfly > rpt. ripwalk b2b at the end of a run. maybe I need to take longer breaks, that might be why my runs are so short, end up tired after 10 contacts and drop on something simple. Hit PS eggbeater just for old time's sake, had it off my foot on weakside too, which I probably never bothered trying to hit before. Blurry eggbeater strong side.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 13 Jun 2020 16:30

Wow that PS eggbeater was a massive blast from the past! Good to see you playing again!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Jun 2020 18:08

Nice work on those eggbeater tricks - maybe while you're coming back into things, drop down to some legovers or even just stalls or kicks to keep the momentum going and build up the run length and then build the runs of bigger tricks into it.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 16 Jun 2020 12:28

janis wrote:
13 Jun 2020 16:30
Wow that PS eggbeater was a massive blast from the past! Good to see you playing again!
Thanks! Its good to be back. Footbag has really been a godsend this last month. Not sure what I would be doing right now without this outlet. We're still under lockdown orders here in LA.
boyle wrote:
13 Jun 2020 18:08
maybe while you're coming back into things, drop down to some legovers or even just stalls or kicks to keep the momentum going and build up the run length and then build the runs of bigger tricks into it.
Totally agree. Had a little more discipline today to stick to trying to get slightly longer runs with simple moves. I think one of my problems is that I need to focus more carefully on my stalls. I'm often dropping on just missed toe or clipper stalls that aren't really hard at all, my foot in the right place but I've just started thinking about what I'm going to do next and just stopped paying attention to stalling. So, a few longer runs today. "Highlights":
One run with pickup > ATW (in-out) and legover > ATW (out-in) on both sides.
One run with pickup > ATW (out-in) and legover > ATW (in-out) on both sides.
Pdx Illusion > Illusion BSOS
Pdx Mirage > Mirage BSOS
Drifter BSOS, feeling a little more comfortable on the flip side.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 17 Jun 2020 23:37

I love blasting some good tunes and throwing long tiltless strings!

A few days ago you asked about my PhD... it was in Applied Linguistics. I looked at how second language learners of English develop their vocabulary knowledge through different approaches to reading.
TJ Boutorwick

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 20 Jun 2020 13:29

Tjuggles wrote:
17 Jun 2020 23:37
A few days ago you asked about my PhD... it was in Applied Linguistics. I looked at how second language learners of English develop their vocabulary knowledge through different approaches to reading.
Cool!

Had a bit of fun today with concepts I never really developed at all before. Highlights:
Spinning legover BSOS
Crossbody rake BSOS
Near/far guay BSOS
Reverse guay BSOS
Miraging inside stall BSOS
Stepping crossbody rake (now that I write this it really should have a good name)

Been thinking a lot about style lately, and what sort of moves I want to get comfortable with so that I will throw them in naturally in strings. It would be nice to try and develop more of a unique style, so I think I'm going to try and be as comfortable with inside stalls as toe stalls as ends to downtime components. Far guay has a leg movement that I really like, something about it reminds me of drifters and motions which I think are some of the coolest moves.

Similarly might be fun to try and be more comfortable with crossbody rakes on downtime components that would normally end in clipper. This seems like its probably a bit harder than just putting inside stalls instead of toe stalls, but is a good goal I think.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 21 Jun 2020 16:01

Nice, it's great to be able to build a game and style from almost scratch. Sounds fun!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 23 Jun 2020 13:40

cammel wrote:
20 Jun 2020 13:29
Far guay has a leg movement that I really like, something about it reminds me of drifters and motions which I think are some of the coolest moves.
A while ago when Dan Ednie visited me in Japan, I asked him about the concepts he trained. He wrote down a list of guay varieties to drill. I don't have that list handy, but I suppose the point is that guays are great practice.
TJ Boutorwick

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 11 Jul 2020 13:19

Combined a couple of sessions into a single video (which means progress has been fairly slow!). Some more work on guays and rakes and a little progress on consistency with more traditional tricks. Flip pixie getting a bit better. Clipper -> Far guay -> fairy clipper was maybe my favorite link. Got really close on flip side.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Jul 2020 13:49

Great progress.

Your delays are looking better and better. Very smooth, and you can see the confidence increasing.

I also think it's great that you have made it a point to practice both sides from the beginning. Really can't stress enough how important that is for your game. Continue doing that!
cammel wrote:
11 Jul 2020 13:19
Clipper -> Far guay -> fairy clipper was maybe my favorite link. Got really close on flip side.
I liked that too. I will try it the next time I kick. What do think a good linking trick would be so you could repeat it?

Clipper -> Far guay -> fairy clipper -> LINKING TRICK -> rpt
TJ Boutorwick

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 12 Jul 2020 06:49

Thanks! Yea, definitely going to keep focusing on trying to keep things both sided.
Tjuggles wrote:
11 Jul 2020 13:49
I liked that too. I will try it the next time I kick. What do think a good linking trick would be so you could repeat it?

Clipper -> Far guay -> fairy clipper -> LINKING TRICK -> rpt
Maybe far guay -> fairy clipper -> drifter -> rpt. Might be able to pull that off next session.. the flip fairy I can do, but I can get it accurate enough to get the muted clipper.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 12 Jul 2020 12:59

cammel wrote:
12 Jul 2020 06:49
Maybe far guay -> fairy clipper -> drifter -> rpt. Might be able to pull that off next session.. the flip fairy I can do, but I can get it accurate enough to get the muted clipper.
Awesome, sounds good, and looking forward to seeing you hit it. I'll have a go too.
TJ Boutorwick