Starting over

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
cammel
Fearless

Re: Starting over

Post by cammel » 29 Dec 2021 08:49

Haven't kicked much the past week because of rain. Stitched a few more bags which has been good practice. I think I'll probably stick with the size and shape of the panels, but I'm still playing around with how far in I put the stitches and how tight I pull it. They seem to be fairly functional, I'm sure the problems with my game are not related to equipment. Here's the running tally of my efforts on the LOTD.

Total points: 234

LOTD Intermediate
BS: 1, 3, 5-18, 20-22 (19x10=190)
BSOS: 2, 4 (2x15=30)

LOTD Advanced
strong side only: 10 (1x10)
individual moves: Pixie Muted Swirl (2), Swirling Muted Legover (2)

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 31 Dec 2021 23:07

You're going great in the Link of the Day - that may actually be enough to put you in the lead, or close to it - I think a couple of people have done all intermediate which would put them on 240. Great stuff. I'm going to work on these seriously in the next days, I'd like to get one of the hard combos.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 09 Jan 2022 16:21

I want to get more comfortable substituting inside stalls in place of toe stalls in everything I do. To that end, inside training day!

op guay > ss guay 12 contacts
op rev guay > ss rev guay 4 contacts
"full inside" smear, fear, atom smasher, BS.

I think I'm just going to say "full inside <insert move name>" when the move in question is normally toe-to-toe but I hit it starting and ending on inside. seems a lot easier to say "full inside fear" instead of "inside fairy set miraging inside". I guess there are names for inside fairy set (neo), and I think I saw a video with Jim calling inside pixie set "eon", but I don't think there are names for inside atomic, quantum, etc.? I'm sure people have hit these, just never bothered naming them, same with a bunch of downtime moves ending in inside, probably only guay that has a name? Anyway, I think I'll try to keep this up for a while, see if I can get comfortable enough with this to work it into shred more naturally.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 09 Jan 2022 22:39

Those inside pixie sets are quite hard. I never heard that term eon but I guess it makes some sense. I think everything else is just "miraging inside", terraging inside, ATW caught on inside, without any "official" names.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 15 Jan 2022 20:38

Yea, I'm definitely a long way from being able to comfortably throw those inside pixies into runs. I think really quickly turning my foot so my toe points straight down helps a lot in getting the dex.

Did some more work on inside stall tricks, some highlights:

BSOS:
pdx illusioning inside
gyro guay
blurry rev guay
stepping rev guay
near double guay

DLO and eggbeater ending on inside BS.

Want to try and work on double down type moves ending on inside. Like a barfly starting from right clipper stall, but ending on left inside. I guess thats paradox delusion inside, but I think the movement would be a lot like barfly, just a bit more dex to get the dexing leg to the back.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 20 Jan 2022 17:03

Some more inside stuff. I'm enjoying whirling inside moves.
-gyro and spinning guay BSOS
-gyro whirling inside BSOS, almost spinning whirling inside BSOS
-dimwalk > blurry whirling inside BSOS
-miraging flail (inside) strong only
-whirring inside. strong only

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 26 Jan 2022 21:49

Ever more whirling inside. Trying to get more comfortable working this and guay/reverse guay into strings with other types of moves. Its very hard for me to whirl to clipper after doing a lot of whirl to inside. Also working some more on sets out of inside. If inside stall is going to be a staple of my game I want to be able to comfortably set out of it.

Also been working a bit on a new concept, not sure if I've seen it before. I feel like it is somewhere between a crossbody rake with an inside stall instead of a toe stall, and a late downtime gyro guay. I'm thinking of it as a cross-body "finishing" component, sorta like osis. Like, if you do a whirl with your right leg, you could finish that with a right gyro clipper for a blender, or instead a left gyro guay. Another example would be a torque starting with a right mirage, but instead of catching with a left osis, keep going a bit and catch with a right gyro guay. Feels a bit weird right now, osis was odd when I first started doing them, so I think I'll keep with it. I'm imagining ending anything that has an osis with a gyro guay, could be pretty neat. Not that counting adds really matters, but I guess I would think of this as a 3 add component like osis, and either xbdy inside rake or gyro guay would both get that.

I wonder if anyone has done this. I assume Jorden :lol:

Anyway, highlights:

neo ss inside > neo op inside x5
neo butterfly > pdx whirling inside > rpt
alternating whirling inside x6
illusioning inside x3
hatchet inside BSOS
inside set quantum whirling inside BS. Inside quantum doesn't feel great
nuclear whirling inside strong only
maelstrom inside BS

near late gyro guay thing BS
far late gyro guay thing BSOS
footed whirling gyro guay and miraging gyro guay a few times. definitely doable and sorta cool looking.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 30 Jan 2022 00:10

I've been trying more various sets landing on insides. I thought I was pretty good with insides, but I really struggle with things like inside atomsmasher. I think the whirling inside set is called "whiz".

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 10 Feb 2022 02:03

cammel wrote:
29 Dec 2021 08:49
Haven't kicked much the past week because of rain. Stitched a few more bags which has been good practice. I think I'll probably stick with the size and shape of the panels, but I'm still playing around with how far in I put the stitches and how tight I pull it. They seem to be fairly functional, I'm sure the problems with my game are not related to equipment. Here's the running tally of my efforts on the LOTD.

Total points: 234

LOTD Intermediate
BS: 1, 3, 5-18, 20-22 (19x10=190)
BSOS: 2, 4 (2x15=30)

LOTD Advanced
strong side only: 10 (1x10)
individual moves: Pixie Muted Swirl (2), Swirling Muted Legover (2)
Great job on the LOTD - check your PMs.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 12 Feb 2022 15:04

boyle wrote:
10 Feb 2022 02:03
Great job on the LOTD - check your PMs.
Awesome! Thanks!

Been a little bit since I had a footbag session. I like playing out in the backyard, but unfortunately thats right up against my neighbors apartment, and it seems to bother them if I do it while they're home. I try to find time to play during the day in the week if I can sneak away for a couple hours from work, or on the weekends, sometimes can't really find the time.

Was good to get back into it today, nothing terribly exciting, some drills and some first time moves. What I really need is to try and get better and just longer, diverse runs, but I always just end up in sessions trying to hit drills or new moves BS. At least I'm reasonably both sided, but my average run length is probably about 2. :x

Anyway, highlights:

Ducking clip > diving clip > stepping clip > rpt
Blurry rev guay > neo op legover > dimwalk > rpt
Barfly > Barrage > Paradon > rpt (dropped on the last stall)
Reaper > DOD > rpt (dropped on the last stall)
Spinning eggbeater > pixie paradon (strong only, paradon pretty thin)
Torque > double pickup BS (pretty happy about this, its tough for me to do anything half decent out of torque)
Superfly BS
weakside jani, strong side fury. might be first time hitting fury, pretty stoked about that.

SlashC
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SlashC » 13 Feb 2022 10:44

I really like the inside stuff you are playing around with. The inside rake thing in an earlier post blew my mind. I went through a phase of learning inside stall tricks a few years ago and still enjoy working them into combos. I think it is a really under explored concept. I challenge you to hit "inside everything" like in the same vein as "toe everything" or "pixie everything". You can do any order of legover, mirage, pickup, and illusion (near side and far) all using the inside surface (16 contacts total).
Rory "Tophat" Dawson

---

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 14 Feb 2022 15:35

SlashC wrote:
13 Feb 2022 10:44
I really like the inside stuff you are playing around with. The inside rake thing in an earlier post blew my mind. I went through a phase of learning inside stall tricks a few years ago and still enjoy working them into combos. I think it is a really under explored concept.
Thanks!
SlashC wrote:
13 Feb 2022 10:44
I challenge you to hit "inside everything"
Here ya go!

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 05 Mar 2022 14:18

A few more sessions last two weeks.

Highlights:

Torque>drifter BS. Happy with that, both tricks are really hard for me.
Swirl > drifter >rpt dropped on last contact
symple far swirl BS
grifter BS.

Highlights:
Double pickup > whiz BSOS
Matador BS
Fairy legover > DOD BSOS
Double pickup > gyro toe (trying to work on my toe spinning a bit)
Fairy torque (strong only booo)
Spinning pickup > tripwalk a few times BS, almost BSOS
Toe blur B2B
Slapping legover B2B
Tapping pickup B2B
Atom smasher B2B
Dyno BSOS
Diving osis BSOS in a nice run

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 10 Mar 2022 13:49

Plenty of great highlights, like the variety of stuff you are hitting. That shred space looks to be going really well for you.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 20 Mar 2022 12:54

boyle wrote:
10 Mar 2022 13:49
Plenty of great highlights, like the variety of stuff you are hitting. That shred space looks to be going really well for you.
Thanks! Yea, the backyard area is nice. We had an uncharacteristically wet winter, so it was soggy for a while, but its pretty good now.

About two weeks off of kicking unfortunately, but back at it a bit today. Did some nuke and pogo stuff. Pdx tap> ss butterfly > frontside ripwalk BS, almost BSOS a few times. Pogo is fun, I want to try and keep working that into my game. Pogo symp swirl, almost BS. Symp whirl BSOS. Pogo and nuke made me think about shooting set, or instead of pdx atomic doing pdx quantum after the pogo. Chaos ensues:

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 26 Mar 2022 17:05

Worked on drifters some. Got vortex BS for the first time, pdx drifter BSOS. DATW>DSO BSOS. Nuclear ss butterfly BSOS. Tripwalk > ripwalk > symp DOD (almost BS). Nuclear sets feeling better and better, which I'm happy about.

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 31 Mar 2022 08:22

That symp ddd looked too easy. Great to see u shred again
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 09 Apr 2022 19:48

Sporatical_Distractions wrote:
31 Mar 2022 08:22
That symp ddd looked too easy. Great to see u shred again
Thanks! Great to hear from you!

Did some entries for the Tokyo Shredder Gathering. First time hitting whirr. Got ripstein too for the first time but couldn't hit anything out of it. At least got one out

cammel
Fearless

Easter Egghunt

Post by cammel » 17 Apr 2022 16:38

Wanted to footbag today, decided it would be fun to have a session where I just tried to hit as many eggbeater-based moved as I could on account of it being Easter Sunday. I present the results my Easter Egghunt: :lol: 44 before my legs started getting a little wobbly on symp and I decided to call it quits. Counted each side as a unique version.

toe same BS
toe op BS
clipper near BS
paradox BS
gyro BS
spinning BS
stepping BS
blurry BS
pixie ss BS
fairy ss BS
pixie op BS
fairy op BS
pogo op BS
atomic
quantum
tapping
slapping
neo
toe same symp BS
toe op symp
clipper same symp BS
PS BS
gyro symp
spinning symp
pogo same symp
blurry symp
pixie op symp
fairy op symp

SlashC
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SlashC » 18 Apr 2022 12:24

That last video was eggcellent!

Also, props on the inside everything video from a few weeks back. I think we are probably the only two players to ever hit that drill, so welcome to the exclusive club! I have been inspired to try inside stuff again from your videos and am working on integrating some inside > neo combos. Here is one that I challenge you to hit: muted nuclear ss clipper > far guay > muted neo far clip > pdx drifter

If the muted nuclear near clipper is too difficult then you could also do a muted stepping near clip which is a bit easier and the only version of the combo that I've actually hit.
Rory "Tophat" Dawson

---

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"