Muffinman

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: Muffinman

Post by boyle » 01 Nov 2018 03:44

That's a lot of tricks! Though these things are very useful as you often forget some of the tricks that you can already hit!

*I've changed my top post painting to a portrait of actor Heath Ledger, from an exhibition I saw recently. It's by Vincent Fantauzzo. https://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/prize ... 008/28621/
Last edited by boyle on 02 Nov 2018 21:20, edited 3 times in total.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 02 Nov 2018 19:22

That's like a whole essay. Can you summarize?

20x20 session #60:
Played pretty well today.
Also we had another new guy show up. It sounds like he's got the same experience as our other new guy. He's been around for a while and has known about our Toronto group for like a decade apparently. I gave him a little nudge on Facebook today since I knew our other new guy would be showing up too and I hadn't heard from this guy for a while. Turns out he can already do clipper, ATW, and some random basics, with pretty good form. So that was a pleasant surprise. But he also had a really positive, determined, but also humble attitude, which was really refreshing. He kept asking for tips, and I gave him a bag (I need to stop giving away my bags. I keep running out.) And then we walked a little and chatted and he seems super interested to keep coming out and even started asking questions about how much car room we have for going to future jams! Wicked.

It was me, Mike, New Adam, and the new new guy, Mark.
Let's see if I can remember some highlights:
-scorpion's tail, blurriest, blurrier all BSOS
-vortexes (vortices?)
-bedwetters, wetdreams, and hazes BSOS, though not all in the same run, but it felt good that I could do some stepping dual dex tricks since I wa really frustrated about that last session
-food processor BSOS first try (into a nice long run with some other goodies)
-didn't miss any pdx blenders today, which always feels good, especially since it's something I've never practiced. Such an awesome feeling trick though
-a bunch of nuclear and atomic in one run
-more DLOs and eggbeaters than usual... I also don't think I missed any eggbeaters, which also felt good
-oh, also did a bunch of barflies

I guess it was a more "played well overall" than any particular highlights. I think having some new blood gave me a bit extra juice. Plus we got to play music for once.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Nov 2018 21:28

I decided to change the top post painting. I didn't really like the one I posted before. I had just searched up something like gallery and one of the numbers you posted of the amount of tricks. I've put a new top post painting, of the actor Heath Ledger. There is quite a good exhibition about his life at the National Film and Sound Archive here. Sounds like he was really good at whatever he picked up.

That's great you're getting those new players out. Exciting to hear that. I imagine that someone who is at a fairly beginner level might feel to scared to come up to the "expert group". Good to hear these guys are coing out though.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 07 Nov 2018 09:50

Ah, okay. I like this painting more better anyway :)

Had a session on Monday, but my back was super fucked and I didn't last long. Got to 11 20s, of mostly spinning and ducking, I think, and then stopped before it got too bad. Didn't want to have trouble getting home, since that's happened before. So I decided to go back to the previous physio routine that was working pretty well at not improving my back, but maintaining it at a level where I can play and live without it getting worse. The new routine my therapist gave me definitely made it way worse. For some reason she wanted me to do much less work with different exercises.

After one day of the old routine I'm already feeling much, much better, and I think I should be okay for Friday's session if I keep it up. I'd really wanted to do those other 117 tricks today, but I think I will do something like skiprope instead and put off those tricks until my back is back to "normal" (normal being that my back muscles are so tight they feel like bone, literally...) -- hopefully next Wednesday.

Yeah, I'm really happy that the new guy felt more motivated rather than scared from that one session. He checked in on Monday and said that he played solo at his gym, not knowing that we were getting together. He said he plans to come out next week again. And the previous new guy, Adam, has started coming out a bit more often, now that he's unemployed, and he's improved every session too. Good stuff. Alex said he should be back in about 3 weeks when school is out, and Maciej said maybe he will come for vacation for a couple of months, but that he just got a teaching job in Poland and has to work 2 years straight without many breaks (I'm not sure why), so that sucks, but good for him on successfully defending his masters thesis! I don't think he solos much and I think he's the only player in the city he lives in, so he's eager to come back to Toronto at some point.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 09 Nov 2018 19:57

20x20 session #61:
Good, fun session today.
Hmm, what did I do:
-little apple triple BSOS
-blurriest x5 one side, x3 on other side, one run (trying to do (blurriest > butterfly) x5 > (butterfly > blurriest) x5)
-(gyro diving clipper > ducking clipper) x5 > (ducking clipper > gyro diving clipper) x5
-(dimwalk > pdx mirage) x10
-(pdx mirage > pixie near clipper) x5 > butterfly > (pdx mirage > pixie near clipper) x5
-a run with bedwetter BSOS and other good stuff?
-tried vortex > bedwetter BS. That's tough! I got the dexes on both sides, but wouldn't say I footed it. I think I do vortex too far out to do anything super precise out of
-swivel BS first try? After twirl BSOS
-oh yeah! stepping symp mirage, backside blur, rev whirlygig all BSOS, and stepping symp whip on one side (so almost all 8 )

Hmmmm... what else. I don't know. It felt good. We were going to be kicked out of our space early, so we all played harder and more intense for the shorter time. Ended about 40 minutes earlier than usual. New guy hit ATW both directions, both sides in one run for the first time! He also hit near mirage BSOS. And he did a few clippers, though his crank is really weak, so that was particularly impressive. He's steadily progressing every session and he's been coming out to all sessions recently! Good stuff. Mike played really well too. Lots of pixie and ducking mirages. Long runs too.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 12 Nov 2018 19:39

20x20 session #62:
We had a 5-man circle today for the first time in who knows how long!
Alex had a comeback after being super busy and stressed with life for probably close to 2 months away. Both new guys showed up, and Mike and me as usual. Near the beginning of the session Mike had a handful of 20s and suggested that we could race to 20x20 (he'd never done it before), so he, Alex, and I quickly made up a ruleset: one passback if your first attempt is 5 contacts or fewer, and Erik isn't allowed to get more than one 20 per turn (so if I do 40 it still only counts as one 20).

When I was at about 16, Mike was at about 10, and Alex was at 6 (first session back in a while, remember). Alex wanted to throw me off, so he joined forces with Mike. He came up with a super devious way to throw me off. A bunch of sessions back he and I were trying to race to eggbeater > double switch repeat. We tried for many attempts one session, and then again many attempts another session. Neither of us hit it, I don't think, but neither of us wanted to be to the first to stop trying, so we kept going and going. He knew that by trying this combo, I would be super tempted to keep trying it at the cost of my 20s. And he was right. However... he didn't count on me hitting it first try! Bam! felt so good. Straight into a 20-contact, ending in rev mullet. Super rad feeling. Lol.

Anyway, some highlights:
-pixie paradon, blurriest, blurrier all BSOS to end the session

Hmm, actually can't remember anything else. Falling asleep.

New Adam hit ducking toe stall double BSOS. He also did both direction ATWs BSOS.
Mike beat his personal run length record with 42, and then again with 45!
Alex has some long runs too, but I don't remember anything specific.
Mark hit mirage 4 times (4 separate times, not in a row)? And footed flipside almost on his first try??

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 14 Nov 2018 06:00

Oh, Ryan's latest post reminded me that I never shared the last few videos I made here:

My 20-year retrospective video (really mostly just highlights from 2012-2015, since those were the peak of my career) :

Extra clips from that video (which reminds me that I may want to do a second video of highlights that I captured from this same time period) :

Most recent footage from our last outdoor sessions:

And a short silly video of something I caught while watching through recent FAT footage:

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Nov 2018 06:52

Whelp, I got back to it and took that second run at hitting 2000 tricks, which required another 117 from the 114-ish I did 2 weeks ago. I'm now sitting at 2004 total tricks, which is kinda cool. And I didn't make the connection until I put together that 20th anniversary video, but it's 2000 tricks in advance of my 20th year, which also is a nice round number like my 350 new tricks on my 35th birthday :)

It's hard to tell if the tricks were harder this time than last time. And difficulty is super subjective and weird with these kinds of tricks. For example, nuclear near legover was easier than, like, clipper-set ingyro osis, or even just toe-set parallax. The weird, low-add tricks have definitely been more challenging than some of the higher add standard tricks. And, actually, I did notice that some of these tricks I'd done before. But since they weren't checked off on my list, they weren't counting toward my total tricks, so the 2000 still stands.

Let's see what some of the more interesting tricks were:
-pogo whip (near and far)
-backside parkwalk
-toe-set inspinning and ingyro symple osis
-toe-set dada curves
-butterfly rakes and wauxpins -- if i did this right, the difference between these tricks is catching the bag on either the inside or the outside of the stalling leg? If that's right, butterfly rakes are super hard to do clean! And also wauxpins feel super cool, and I've been doing them wrong all along lol
-toe-set near blender -- pretty sure I'd never hit this before
-refractions and symp butterflies set from calf, knee, and toe
-nuclear near pickup and legover
-blazing near inside stall, which was super weird

Here's the list of tricks I hit to get to 2000
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

And here's the list of all of my tricks total:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... iZ5SM/edit

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 Nov 2018 17:42

20x20 session #63:
Average session. Nothing super special.
-(spinning clipper > ripwalk) x10 > (ducking clipper > spinning ducking clipper) x10
-tap triple BSOS to open a run
-blurry whip > blur > legbeater repeat to open a run
-pdx eggbeater double BSOS, I'm not sure if I've done that before?
-I dunno what else. Gyro DLOs, vortexes, mobiuses... oh, pdx torque BSOS... and torque BSOS same run?

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 16 Nov 2018 23:12

You are so good Erik - I'm not sure I've seen anyone so bothsided. Also probably irrelevant for you, but that park in the background of the third clip looks awesome (Erik extra). Those things where you spin around are few and far between these days but there are a couple in our area. Nico likes to play on them.

This trick list is just amazing work. Great detail.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 19 Nov 2018 19:23

Awww, that's so nice of you to say! Thanks Daniel :)
It is a pretty great park. It's also got both a wading pool and a full-sized indoor pool, a skating rink, basketball courts, table tennis table, baseball fields, soccer fields, and public bathrooms! Definitely one of the bigger and better in the city core.

20x20 session #64:
Back has been killing me recently and I thought I might have to sit out today, but I just took it easy and managed to get through. Mike was feeling sore too, but New Adam was on his game! He just hit the point where he can link tricks back to back! So he did near mirage x3 or 4! near mirage > legover both sides, etc. And then to top it off, after Mike and I had finished, he kept going on his own for like 10 more minutes! So stoked on that. Oh yeah, he also hit legover double BSOS, I think!

Highlights:
-(spinning clipper x9 > gyro clipper x9) repeat
-(diving clipper x9 > ducking clipper x9) repeat
-mobius > pdx blender BS, rolled off BSOS
-(blur > dimwalk) x9; and then immediately following, (blur > dimwalk) x8
-tap triple BSOS to open a run
-spinning ducking clipper > gyro DLO BSOS to open a run

EDIT: Oh yeah, also hit far whip x9 > whip x9 > far whip x9 > whip x7?

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 26 Nov 2018 18:31

20x20 session #65:
After seeing Sergio and Josh Gayhart hit leviathan I really wanted to hit it too. I don't think I've even tried it before. I footed it in a few tries, but I stalled before finishing the dexes. Definitely feasible, but I stopped trying almost immediately because our circle expanded to 4, and I just don't have the time to keep trying with such a long stretch between turns. But it made me want to get better at stepping ducking, which is really something I've always wanted to be good at, but struggle with BSOSing. I can always open with either side, but never the BSOS, so one of my highlights today felt good:

-blurry ducking clipper BSOS (did this starting from either side -- strange fact, but my flip stepping is my good stepping ducking... Don't know how that works. Also my flip spinning is my good double spinning... Go figure...)
-(spinning clipper > blurry whip) x10 first try
-spinning ducking clipper > mobius BSOS, and then spinning ducking clipper > spinning whip also in that run
-backside blur triple BSOS; wanted quintuple, but need more practice I guess. Felt a bit out of control, though mostly good
-a 100-contact > blurry whip > hand catch (mostly BOPs)
-5 barflies on one side and 3 in the other (trying barfly > butterfly x5 > butterfly > barfly x5)

Actually had a really bad, frustrating session, but getting 20x20 and having a few decent highlights felt good. Actually 20x20 always feels good even if it's an overall frustrating session, which is a big part of why I like doing it so much. It also gives me a better cardio workout to do longer runs.

EDIT: oh yeah! The new-new guy hit mirage BSOS today!
EDIT 2: I can't do math. The 100-contact was actually a 160 lol. No wonder I was winded for the next like 3 turns

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Nov 2018 02:27

I really struggle to get the flip stepping ducking tricks in a run. Also the bigger stepping ducking tricks at all. I can do things like ripped warrior reasonably on either side. That's something to improve on, nice work on the bsos blurry ducking clipper.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 29 Nov 2018 00:10

boyle wrote:
28 Nov 2018 02:27
I really struggle to get the flip stepping ducking tricks in a run. Also the bigger stepping ducking tricks at all.
I agree; stepping ducking is tricky, especially flip.

Great work on 160 contacts. That is tiring!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Nov 2018 03:51

I did get that stepping ducking clipper bsos today though. Inspiration!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 30 Nov 2018 16:49

Thanks guys.
I was gonna do that again today, but did it starting from one side and then forgot to do it from the other side.

20x20 session #66:
-74 gyro clippers (i think this beats my previous record by 12) -- fact check: it was 9 more
-mobius triple bsos > hand catch
-25 flip spinning clippers; 20 good side
-gyro diving clipper > ripwalk > spinning ducking clipper > ripwalk repeat
-gyro diving clipper > gyro whip bsos, spinning ducking clipper > spinning whip bsos same runand some other stuff

I dunno what else. Back started hurting bad halfway through. Makes me wary of going to NYJ. Just dont wanna be bed-ridden at an event, and if i am, id rather spend NY with my gf. Im leaning toward no right now, though it sounds like our new guy (the older of the 2 new guys) is probably gonna go!

EDIT: Oh! I forgot some things from this session!:
-clipper > near calf kick > near knee kick > far knee kick > near calf kick > near clipper > near calf kick > near knee kick > far knee kick > near calf kick > near clipper
-knee-kick-set legover x10 > knee-kick-set pickup x2 to open a run (I think also calf-kick-set legover BSOS same run?)
-knee-kick-set ducking legover BSOS with some other knee-kick stuff?

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 Dec 2018 16:42

20x20 session #67:
Highlights:
-stepping ducking clipper > spinning clipper repeat from both sides; first time into 40-contact with gyro dlo, spinning whip, stepping whip, and rev whirlygig all BSOS and rev tomahawk > spinning clipper repeat; second time into a 20 with gyro dlo and stepping whip bsos (remembered from like a decade ago that stepping ducking is easier for me out of the momentum of a spinning clipper! Easy lifehack! Hack hack?)
-double blender BS first time
-blurrier double BSOS
-bedwetter BSOS, dropped wet dream BSOS
-pixie paradon BSOS, dropped pixie dod BSOS
-backside blur > backside smear > dimwalk repeat minus the last dimwalk — a challenge that Jorden Moir gave me like a decade ago lol. So much harder than it sounds D:
-we did the links of the day BS except day 3 because it’s stupid as fuck lol
-(pdx mirage > pixie near whip > pdx mirage > pixie whip) repeat

I felt like it was a pretty great session for me, but that im still missing some highlights. Hmmm. Well double blender in particular felt pretty good. I hit one side on the first or second try. Not sure Ive even ever tried this trick before...

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 Dec 2018 12:37

Muffinman wrote:
03 Dec 2018 16:42

-double blender BS first time
-Well double blender in particular felt pretty good. I hit one side on the first or second try. Not sure Ive even ever tried this trick before...
Props man! I've never hit that flip. It'd be sick to see you get that b2b.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Dec 2018 00:31

That's a big trick. I've never even thought about hitting that.

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 06 Dec 2018 09:02

Double Blender from the man who refuses to do Whirls. Nice!
Josh Gayhart ... keeping footbag tuff since 2002.