Mathieu

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Mathieu

Post by Tjuggles » 03 May 2021 19:56

acxel22 wrote:
02 May 2021 12:28
I footed flipside locomotion today tough! slowly getting back
Yea! Glad to hear you are coming out of hibernation.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 25 May 2021 07:37

I'm surprised you haven't hit flip locomotion before. Seems like something you wouldn't have a problem with. Good to see you back. But your "out of shape" is much better than my out of shape

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 08 Aug 2021 19:21

I don't update much

new born 3 weeks ago takes most time but so far I managed:
shred off submissions alway sent as soon as possible with code within 1 day code was given, next round already ready just waiting for results lol
shred 30, my submission will piss off a lot of people, deal with it :twisted:
sick 3 I got no idea what to do, I sent a safe combo but room for improvement
all my energy going on routine now, got a one dropper filmed, couple days left to make something better, not my best shape, but enjoying making something new

not organizing is nice since I'm busy enough these days, but I somehow miss it, it was fun last year
Mathieu Gauthier

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 10 Aug 2021 03:56

So hot outside this week! Terrible for routines
I wanted to wake up at 5am this morning to go play but baby decided otherwise, too tired so slept over my alarm.

I got a one drop pretty good one and a dropless but not as strong, it’s not terrible news at least

Three days left
Mathieu Gauthier

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 12 Aug 2021 18:22

Two days left for routine, I did not film a perfect shot and decided to just send a solid one and call it a day, just too busy nd too warm outside. I would like to advance but time is not my ally this time!
Mathieu Gauthier

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Aug 2021 19:53

Is there less time than last year? I don't remember struggling so badly against the time last year.

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 16 Aug 2021 03:34

Wow I am so excited just realising I won my routine pool! Also 10th in shred off not too shaby! Very pleased with my results so far at worlds, and yet my shred 30 surprise is left too 🤣
Mathieu Gauthier

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 18 Aug 2021 12:53

Wow great worlds results so far
Finals in routines and sick3, the later was unexpected!
Rank10 in shred off, winning battle of the matt’s by one rank this time 😜
My shred 30 will probably rank very well and annoy lots of people, but I am relieved knowing I will not win after a chat with the golden child! Very excited to see his entry as it will be historic

Got a safety routine and sick3 filmed, so if I cant play for the next week at least I got stuff to send!
Mathieu Gauthier

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Aug 2021 14:44

Going great - impressive work with a new kid around as well!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 18 Aug 2021 16:35

I agree with Daniel; great work getting these results! Hopefully next year will be online too, although it would be great to have it in person, of course.

Go North America!
TJ Boutorwick

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 22 Aug 2021 13:11

Its crazy playing close to 40 celcius here, routines have been hard!
Got another good dropless today, probably better then the other safety.
Three days left to go aggressive if I find time :)
Mathieu Gauthier

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 23 Aug 2021 02:28

Missed waking up early today, this leaves two days now :(
Mathieu Gauthier

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 24 Aug 2021 06:54

hmm dont think I can play again for routines
1- it's fucking hot and I already dehydrated myself enough in the past week
2- I'm back at work since yesterday and leaves even less time
3- I might just try to squeeze a better sick3 if I got time, but never know if a miracle happens I can try a routine once and hit it agressive version :D

let's be real, I probably just will send my ok routine and ok sick3, good enough to make it with the little time I got
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 24 Aug 2021 13:42

acxel22 wrote:
24 Aug 2021 06:54
hmm dont think I can play again for routines
1- it's fucking hot and I already dehydrated myself enough in the past week
2- I'm back at work since yesterday and leaves even less time
3- I might just try to squeeze a better sick3 if I got time, but never know if a miracle happens I can try a routine once and hit it agressive version :D

let's be real, I probably just will send my ok routine and ok sick3, good enough to make it with the little time I got
I think that sounds reasonable. You have pushed pretty hard it seems. For me, knowing that I had at least some footage I was more or less happy submitting made life much less stressful.
TJ Boutorwick

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 25 Aug 2021 18:58

I ended up with 7 sick3, submitted the two I hit this afternoon. Pretty sure some unsent ones where better but who knows
Mathieu Gauthier

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 05 Sep 2021 03:55

Worlds

Highlights:
La classic doubles
Vasek shred30
Honza being stolen triple crown in routines, imo he was clear winner

La classic spoiled us again and wow I am still speechless!! I have no words but it was just a fantastic piece of art! They ended up with very low difficulty, guess no one gave difficulty for playing in pants in the dark. I am not a doubles judge so I can’t really argue for the ranking. But it was just wowwwww

Vasek shred30, finally does 300, one more check on his bucket list? It was great to see!

Honza being stolen. Hmm lets see
Technical
Honza had a strong start with ducking loco to inspin osis, finished with phoenix food ps whirl, had a good shuffle section, linked some good tricks once or twice, more bothsided then patrik
Patrik
Did tatw jani , step ducking clip. Spin whirl and scorp, some symp whirls both sides, mostly one sided. Oh ripstein with one bag on other foot was the most surprising

Overall for difficulty I do not see where Patrik takes over, honza felt more dense and had more difficult section/tricks. He also linked tricks where Patrik did not

Artistic
Honza was choregraphed from start to finish, no arguing here, some more pauses then Patrik but it was never boring or filled.

patrik had some good first minute, but eventually it ended up just hitting hard tricks on cues . The last 1/4 of the routine felt empty to me, so again, how do you score him over Honza

Change my mind.

Another highlight, Ken retiring, or retiring from routines? In style! I had tears seing this as he as always been a strong competitor and he goes away in a very classy way, it is now immortalized in a footbag world final. Congrats for all these years and the podium last year was defenitly a highlight

On a personnal note, I am very happy with my results, pretty impressive road sheet
5 in routines, this is by far my most proud ranking, over winning any east coasts or heating up evan when i ended up 2nd. I could have possibly only beat Taishi if I hit a harder version, and with injury reappearing I am happy I chose to sit out my last three days and not try. If we remove czech gods i am second! Haha
Sick3 i slipped into finals by abusing freshness over difficulty, I did on purpose no 6 add links to just be fresh and it worked out! Even best Wiltor in finals! I could have done stepping duxking clipper motion sickness mullet for example, but would have not made finals with it. I made a video of my unsent entries on YouTube. I think if my gyro barrage fairy whirl symp blink was better executed it would have been my go to combo and possibly beat even Patrik! But rank7 is my second best result in worlds sick3, but online its my best. Was 5th in 2015 when it was a dropfest, i had bedwetter pixie whirl infinity rev swirl on my last attempt

Shredoff 10th
Man this is also very satisfying, i filmed my entries in less then one hour each, where some others worked their ass off! Most of my ideas just clicked and my game was on! Yes I can do better, but this was a very fair video of my game

This leaves my podium shred30 as the last highlight, why last? Its a podium rigjt.. well my idea was not winning. My actual score was 270pts but some contacts where not counted/removed

Not winning; before deadline I spoke with vasek to make sure he beats my score, this reassured me when he spilled the beans of 300, i was in the secret of the gods :)

I had a 291pts entry too that I did not want to submit, yes i can do 300 with my method too, then again this is not my goal

So what is this about? For some it may seem disrespectful, for others funny, what is it to me?

I have never been a shred30 fan, it is flawed and we have better technical events now, i tought last year Rory sent a clear message but it was unheard, also the rules committee had other things to make better. I wanted it to be clear that rules are broken.

Time for a change

Shred30 ideas, 30 contacts? Repeats don’t count, after all everyone tries to go 30 uniques, or count twice maximum?
Kill shred30? I mean its the worst to calculate, altough matt kemmer has a gold software for it I think
We got shredoff for online technical, but there is no judging criteria..
In person battle and circle

I don’t see much living space for shred30, but i am not the best person to defend it.

So back to highlights, well 2nd place is nice, but personally it feels like theft even if it was legal, but I live very well with it, also it was not as easy as one would think to do so many contacts in 30 seconds, it was actually challenging, i have planned 240 pts shred30 and could have potentially hit one ‘legally’, easier said then done.

So this wraps it up, I have kicked once in the past week only, little post worlds depressed footbag wise and got my hands full with family as we have a new born doing very well, close to two months now!

I hope next worlds is in person, I hope after a long hiatus it could be a spark as the biggest worlds in a long time! We shall see it is early and the world is still a fucked place these days

Worlds is over, I am having tears finishing this as footbag means a lot to me and every worlds closure hurts a little, we where all far away but felt close for a moment, I miss everyone and love you all

Hugs
Mathieu Gauthier

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Sep 2021 05:17

You did great Mathieu - although the first rule the need to change in shred 30 is that you can't hold onto your foot!

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 05 Sep 2021 10:19

boyle wrote:
05 Sep 2021 05:17
You did great Mathieu - although the first rule the need to change in shred 30 is that you can't hold onto your foot!
Hahaha i still challenge anyone to beat this flapper 30 record lol

Also more analysis on routines, patrik had over 40 tricks (bails) under 3 adds and honza had 20. Not counting juggling and mini toes, just regular toe/inside/clipper/legover

For artistic too Honza used so many concepts to fit with music, shuffle juggling head stalls pincher flyers, i feel he exploited many possibilities to catch the audience attention while playing

The judges missed on this one I am still pretty positive, not blaming them but I like to analyse more and become better judge :)
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 06 Sep 2021 13:30

Well done Mathieu! Crazy how well you did!

I liked the shred 30. I think pushing the limits as you did helps to make the game better. You played to the rules and got second, nothing wrong with that. Sure, it wasn't what people expected, but if they expected something different, the rules I think should reflect that.

All of this with a newborn too! I am expecting my first in a couple months!

Can't wait to make it to an in-person worlds, that is for sure...
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 Sep 2021 03:00

Congrats TJ, didn't know that - exciting stuff. (Maybe not so exciting for your footbag career, but Mathieu seems to be going OK and Tina has 4 kids and that doesn't seem to slow her down).