Mathieu

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Muffinman
the gimp

Re: Mathieu

Post by Muffinman » 23 May 2020 22:15

Yikes, hope you heal up, Mathieu, and that you're able to compete at Worlds!

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 24 May 2020 03:50

yeah I got a similar plan for worlds, the only thing is if I want to make finals, or have good chances to, I need to go all IN, as hard as I can, and I have this routine ready already, and hit it a couple of times as well, just not for worlds, and this is the information I think you are missing:

you cannot film a routine for finals before first round results are announced because you need to show/say the code for the round, and finals code is not announced until then, hope this makes sense

for first round the code is footbag online
https://footbag.online/player-info/rules/
Mathieu Gauthier

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 24 May 2020 17:39

Nice Milk Erik!
acxel22 wrote:
24 May 2020 03:50
the only thing is if I want to make finals, or have good chances to, I need to go all IN, as hard as I can,
That's the big mystery this year. Given the new format, plus the uncertainties about the virus and everybody's situations, nobody has any real idea how many people will participate. Like, I already registered, and I registered for all events. But its entirely possible I could get the virus at any point before finals, in which case I'm out. Same goes if a family member gets sick. Or less dramatically, the virus can impact submissions by limiting where and how often people can play. Right now in Colorado, the gyms are all still closed. Even if they weren't officially closed, I wouldn't risk going to one. That means my only option is outdoors, which is very weather dependent. And I consider myself to be in a lucky position. I bet there are footbaggers who do not have access to an outdoor space, but also have limited/bad/no options for indoor.

If you told me Worlds 2020 resulted in way more entries than ever and a much higher level of routines/shred30/sick3 than ever, I wouldn't be surprised at all. I also wouldn't be surprised if turnout is low, or circumstances prevent people from practicing as much as they would normally and consequently do worse. This could be a year when its super easy to get into Finals, or it could be one where it's surprisingly hard. Nobody really knows.
acxel22 wrote:
24 May 2020 03:50
and this is the information I think you are missing:

you cannot film a routine for finals before first round results are announced because you need to show/say the code for the round, and finals code is not announced until then,
Yeah no, I totally got that. But given the timelines, I can't envision many players being good enough and having enough time to make separate routines for your contest as well as Worlds. I suppose a player could submit the same for both, but for me at least I'd worry it would lose some element of surprise for when the Finals judges see it.

Good luck on the recovery!

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 25 May 2020 10:41

took a doctor appointment for tomorrow, seems my achille is highly damaged from my research, it's not ripped at least, but even walking is a little painful :(
Mathieu Gauthier

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 May 2020 22:56

Bad to hear about your injury. I've entered for the competition. Looking forward to seeing some of the others.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 26 May 2020 16:38

Oh, geez, so sorry to hear about your injury. What terrible timing. Hope the doctor appointment went well! And that you're able to compete at Worlds!

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 01 Jun 2020 06:49

routine contest judging went very well yesterday! Now just need to edit the whole process, hoping to get this live asap!
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 02 Jun 2020 14:16

Hey buddy, just wanted to say sorry that I didn't submit anything; Haven't been kicking in the last week or two because of a bunk toe(s).
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 02 Jun 2020 16:44

no worries TJ! the comp will be pretty nice once released with the full video, of course a classic dropless TJ routine would have been nice, but we got some top notch material!

On a good note of events, I can do inside and toe kicks without pain now!
Going slow on this one, so I can recover correctly and perform in time for worlds hopefully!

I got requests from doctors to do either echo or MRI to make sure all is fine, will call tomorrow to see if this can be done. Also back to physio next week. I stopped pain killers after 1 week, pain seem almost gone, just need to make sure not to over stretch the muscle, and shredding is out of question for now, even a legover on my right foot from left foot would stretch my left ankle enough to have pain :/
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 02 Jun 2020 19:11

acxel22 wrote:
02 Jun 2020 16:44
...of course a classic dropless TJ routine would have been nice
Tell me about it! Will see what I can do for Worlds.
acxel22 wrote:
02 Jun 2020 16:44
On a good note of events, I can do inside and toe kicks without pain now!
Going slow on this one, so I can recover correctly and perform in time for worlds hopefully!
That is great! Take it slow, and do it smart.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 02 Jun 2020 19:11

You and Erik could have a race to see who can get back into things slower.
TJ Boutorwick

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 03 Jun 2020 04:44

Tjuggles wrote:
02 Jun 2020 19:11
You and Erik could have a race to see who can get back into things slower.
I intend to lose and recover in time!!!!
Mathieu Gauthier

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 Jun 2020 12:10

lol

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 04 Jun 2020 06:19

worlds goals (if I heal in time)
#1 : get my dropless routine entry first, because I'm aiming for finals to go as big as I can here, this is where I want to shine and have most potential
#2: get a safe sick 3 in the books, should be doable within 10 minutes I have a combo in mind that should be enough to not finish last and hoefully get in finalists, but that's a big doubt, it would depend on how many competitors enter
#3: Make shred off video, not going to do anything crazy here as seeding does not really seem important
#4: Shred 30, aiming for 220+, I have no idea how well I can perform this, it will depend on time I have left on my hands at this point
#5: go for biggest sick 3 possible, it implies 1 ok trick- one huge trick - one big ass huge trick. First link seems doable with no doubts, second link would just require luck, so why not try?

If I did good enough for finals of routines, I will first film a safety and go all in after this on my main new song

Ok, let's heal and make this happen!
Mathieu Gauthier

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 08 Jun 2020 06:08

road to healing:

according to my physio, my left hip is not working well, or lazy, and this leads to my recurring injuries, we will work on this and in one week see if worlds are a possible scenario for me, will work hard on my exercices and cross fingers!
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 09 Jun 2020 14:17

So does the lazy left hip have nothing to do with footbag itself? I mean, it is not lazy because of lack of practice, or bad form, is it?

Hopefully it is just an issue of building up muscle around it. Crossing fingers for you!
TJ Boutorwick

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 09 Jun 2020 16:39

I do not think it as to do with footbag in the first place, but overusing other muscles to cover the lack of use of my hip made the injury

my hip works and all, I just don't use it correctly while doing most exercices, I am doing different exercices now to try to get it to click, seeing physic next Monday again, hope to see improvements
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 09 Jun 2020 17:05

I see. Hopefully it is an easy fix and you will be throwing your hips around like nobody's business soon.
TJ Boutorwick

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 13 Jun 2020 11:35

routine contest is finally released! Phewww it's been a crazy week.

I was not in charge of editing, and some unfortunate events happened so I took over the production from scratch last monday, basicly lost 8 days after judging and was still at point zero in production :(

I cut a lot of sleep, worked as hard as I could, learned some more editing on the way, always a plus!

Unfortunatly, I got my comments last minute on a video call, recording was not top notch, and I had to do with what I had, next time will be better preparation for this part of the video.

Also the audio inequality between routines and between commentator/routines was a big thing, but when I realised I also had to fix that part, it was friday morning at 2AM, completely destroyed by lack of sleep, and had to just compress overnight to send to youtube a couple of hours later when I wake up (5AM)

The premiere event on youtube was nice! But there as well I made some mistakes, unwillingly blocked the live comments, fixed it early on the show, and people got to write during the premiere, I was very happy to bring something like this to the community.

Besides worlds, I think this was the first online comp with a premiere version on youtube with comments from viewers
Also first? routine contest online
and first comp video with a presentator/commentator

I think every aspect of my video is only a start, and can be hugely improved, and I am very motivated to do more of these, in different formats of competition, but also different commentator, or judge comments, in depth analysis of judging, and so on.

All these take time and I don't have much with a family, but I somehow really want to do these things, I am a passionate, and want to share my passion, so more will come for sure!

I need to first do a little poll online, see what people think, more of this? in a different format? how often?

For routines I think the timing was perfect, the time to evaluate your routine vs others, a couple months before worlds, but I am debating making it every season, or twice a year, or only once?

Lots of questions and hopefully a good future for online comps, I have lot of people on top of my head I would like to include either as a commentator/judge on the video, as well as getting some players to show up in these comps.

another thing, I felt awkward winning this routine comp, since I was organizing and editing, I don't think I stole it, judging was so close between me and Nick, I really wish he had a dropless performance to knock me off! Would have felt better! Ah!

But it is good motivation to see that
1- I can beat the top players even tough my technical is lower (on a good day)
2- I don't need necessarily to push my technical much higher to get closer, just upgrade slightly overall difficulty, not necessarily lots of big tricks

I'll put aside my toughs on online comp for now, let it go for a week and start some polls to have more feedback.

Ankle wise now, and worlds.. hmm not sure yet if I will be able to perform and compete. I have been re-strenghtening my ankle for over a week, it feels better, but the muscle is still too tight for footbag, I will see physio monday evening, and she will evaluate if I got a shot at this, I told her I need to be ready to play by the last week of june, figure I need one week to get my routine dropless again (no time to start a new one unfortunately) and get the rest of the stuff on video, I got some sick 3's that should be not too hard and *slightly possibly* make finals, shred30 I will do last, and shredoff I just need to film something, no pressure.

The money is on routines, depending which pool I get, finals could be a good possibility. Some big names are showing up already tough: Dominik, Ken, Landes, Nowak, and some good names you never know what they could bring like Hogan, Wiktor, Yoshhi, TJ, and yet the registration process is still long far from finished!

Alright, going to go do some upper body exercice now to fill the lack of lower body, good day everybody
Mathieu Gauthier

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Jun 2020 15:29

You did great Mathieu, running the thing and doing so well with your routine. One thing with this one, which is probably something to get rid of it as it leaves some inconsistencies, is that people could send in routines that weren't current. I guess and long as they haven't been put up anywhere before, I think that's OK.

That sound issue was a bit annoying but I guess that's just a feature of these times - but that would certainly be a quick fix to make it really awesome. I loved the intro bit with all the different people playing at once. Impressive.

I think Nick's drops sealed things up, and I guess that's the interesting thing with the routines - where we have some top echelon players and some of the names like you mentioned who may just happen to have a great opportunity to film and just get a perfect run through of their routine. I'm more excited to watch the Worlds routines now after seeing everyone's videos.

Good luck with your injury, hope you can compete in the Worlds events.