Mathieu

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
acxel22
Post Master General

Re: Mathieu

Post by acxel22 » 16 Jun 2020 02:56

well I seem to plateau on my recovery, saw physio last night and did some acupuncture, trying to reset the muscle, next 48-72 hours will tell if we are progressing or not, I got some new exercices to do starting today.

My ankle feels sort of like shit right now, and it saddens me in this moment, but I'm still hoping, maybe it's just because I woke up and I would like to go and shred as hard as I can on video, but I can't.

About 14 days left in front of me to recover and have a good amount of time to film stuff, miracles could happen.

debating doing a routine vasek style, when he played with about one foot only, but I don't think I could manage it, it's so hard to do so many plantless spinning clippers and whirlwinds 8O
Mathieu Gauthier

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Fingers crossed

Post by C-Fan » 17 Jun 2020 19:02

Fingers crossed for you man. Your routine in the online comp was great! For first round, obviously listen to your body, but also check the registration page the day it closes. If they say finals is 8 people (like most years), you can go through each registered player and make a mental calculus of who you think are locks (Cerny, Landes, Novak, etc.) and then try and figure out how hard a routine you'll need to squeak into finals. Rather than do a one legged routine, I'd probably do a super artistic, super slow, super easy routine. But obviously you understand your injury and body a lot more than me.

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 18 Jun 2020 03:12

Progresssssss

This morning I jogged 200 meters no pain, did not go full speed run yet. NO PAIN!!

20 contacts 2 bags juggling on strong foot, meaning injured ankle was support, no pain!

Also from injured ankle support pdx egg and pdx drifter no pain!

I stopped trying stuff at this point, kept going one foot to let it rest, and going to concentrate on my stretches still, but will try to include some new components here and there for a week

Routines registration is looking harder every day, more big names joining the parade!
Mathieu Gauthier

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 21 Jun 2020 08:22

Pain came back, I was a little depressed last days since I am more and more thinking towards scratching the whole process

Well today I pulled a one legged shred off entry, or some 2 bags juggling stuff with no impact, enough to say I dod something at worlds.
It’s giving me some motivation to try something else, hopefully. I will do no sports this week to give one last chance, I did lots of bike riding and this is done for this week

Crossing fingers one last time
Mathieu Gauthier

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 21 Jun 2020 16:16

I hope you can do it!
Fingers crossed for you, Mathieu!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Fingers crossed!

Post by C-Fan » 21 Jun 2020 21:01

Sorry to hear about the setback. While the timing of these injuries is indisputably bad, you obviously still need to listen to your body and take the long view as well. Like, is competing injured this year worth it if it hurts you long term? Even if you medal? Or is it smarter to fully heal and take a few months off, and then hopefully have several more productive Worlds in the next decade? It's so hard to know, since there's no way of knowing the future. It does remind me a bit of the NBA player Tim Duncan though.

His career went like this:

:arrow: Rookie year in 1997
:arrow: Wins the NBA title in 1999
:arrow: Injured in 2000, but could have played in the playoffs. Coaching staff things they have a shot at the title if he plays, but instead decides to sit him for the playoffs so he can properly heal, betting on him having a longer/better career if he does.
:arrow: MVP in 2002
:arrow: MVP in 2003, wins title
:arrow: Wins title again in 2005
:arrow: Wins title again in 2007
:arrow: Wins his 5th and final title in 2014

Would he have won a title in 2000 if he came back early and played? Nobody can know for sure. Did he have the crazy good career he did BECAUSE they sat him in 2000 instead of rushing him back? Again, nobody can know for sure. In retrospect, it seems like they did the smart thing and it paid off. But who can say really?

Anyway, still have my fingers crossed the next week goes well for you and you get a shot at finals. But if for some reason it doesn't, hopefully that ends up working out for you in the longer run of your playing career.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 23 Jun 2020 13:42

Sending positive thoughts to you from the southern-most capital in the world!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Jun 2020 01:51

Tjuggles wrote:
23 Jun 2020 13:42
I would have though that was us, but looks like you've got us by about 6 degrees. Looking on the map it's well further south. We are in line with about Auckland.

Good luck Mathieu, hope you can get something in and not make any more pain for yourself.

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 24 Jun 2020 02:42

Thanks for the kind words everyone, but it looks like it won’t happen for me so far.
I am still juggling the idea of performing with one foot, but with no practice and limited attempts it would be meaningless and I would hurt myself more.
I am thinking writing down all tricks I think I can perform with no pain, and just thinking makes me a want to scratch

I made no progress in the last week, actually even got worst :(
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 24 Jun 2020 02:53

Sorry to hear that friend. I think Ken has a point about not hurting yourself further by trying to push too hard. On the other hand, you could potentially become a flamingo and do everything on one leg...

On a side note, Wellington has had a few smallish earthquakes in the last two weeks or so. As I was typing this I thought I felt another, but it was just a passing bus. :)
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 24 Jun 2020 02:54

boyle wrote:
24 Jun 2020 01:51
Tjuggles wrote:
23 Jun 2020 13:42
I would have though that was us, but looks like you've got us by about 6 degrees. Looking on the map it's well further south. We are in line with about Auckland.
Yeah I had to confirm it too.
TJ Boutorwick

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 29 Jun 2020 15:32

first real sess in 6 weeks
Got a couple clips for shred off, need more.
Did not manage routine easy mode dropless, Took about 30-45 minutes to adapt and feel it, then it was SUPER FUCKING WINDY!, DAMN YOU WIND MAKING ME DROP at 1MIN30 ALL THE TIME!after I got tired, overtaxing my strong leg to eventually have it too tired to even hit a symp rev swirl, so I had to bail that.

I did a shred 25 I think all uniques, missing 5 seconds, it will be my 'safe' entry lol I only tried this for 5 minutes once I get routine dropless I will do this better, as long as I beat 200 points I will be very happy with my situation, if I was top shape I would aim 240+

I got an honest sick 3, I'm not trying anything harder because all the stronger combos would imply something that would hurt my left ankle.

If my ankle stays the way it is, I will have another sess before friday.

At least I got something to send, and I have time to brainstorm more interesting stuff for shred off.

Going to eat and take pain killers.
Mathieu Gauthier

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 30 Jun 2020 10:54

got an easy mode routine with 1 drop on camera today, some stuff for shred off, hopefully enough, I won't make it in my pool anyways, maybe some stuff to bring some smiles tough :D
that leaves 3 days to get a harder routine, if my ankle allows it, we shall see.

Shred 30 was not possible today, I overused my right leg in the last 2 days, after 6 weeks with no footbag I just played close to 3.5 hours focusing on one leg, it is very tired. tomorrow will probably be a rest day, and leave the possibility of a better routine in the last 2 days. (I hope I got enough stuff for shred off, I am clueless what to do without my 2 legs)
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 01 Jul 2020 13:17

nice stuff! A much better post emotion-wise than the previous one. I still think you should dress up in a flamingo suit for the one-legged routine.
TJ Boutorwick

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 03 Jul 2020 03:32

Alright! After 6 weeks off, I had to shake rust off, and I am nowhere near 100% recovered so it is very hard.

I had to switch some tricks in my routines to focus more on one leg, it does not show too much, but it feels quite much!

My right calf is completely bombed from the hours of shred this week, a couple of days rest will do it good!

Basicly I played for 7 hours in last 48, 5 in last 24. And since I had no time to film my routine today and tomorrow, I woke up at 5AM like a warrior to go out and play, got it dropless in hard mode, but with some bails on my planned stuff, but nothing too awful. I mean it's not my best ever, but not near my worst, and *possibly* could knock off a seed, *hopefully* never know...

If I was 100% I would be more towards probably knocking a seed, but now I did all I could, I was at the point that after 5 tricks in the routine lifting the leg was a chore haha.

I enjoy this process for online comps, forces me to reach new standards. I am very excited to open the routine qualifiation entries once results are in, many are on youtube already but in private. waiting for the whole package and results to open it to all for watching!

I still need to film shred 30, but will wait next week for this
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 03 Jul 2020 03:55

acxel22 wrote:
03 Jul 2020 03:32
Basicly I played for 7 hours in last 48, 5 in last 24.
Wow! And on one leg!
acxel22 wrote:
I enjoy this process for online comps, forces me to reach new standards.
I agree; I found myself fairly tired and slightly demotivated going into the session today. However, once I warmed up I could feel the deadlines pushing me.

Looking forward to seeing your Flamingo dance.
TJ Boutorwick

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 03 Jul 2020 04:22

It’s no flamingo dance! It’s both sided and does not show too much what I swapped! But I feel flamingo from right calf killing me now haha
Mathieu Gauthier

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Competing in a Pandemic

Post by C-Fan » 03 Jul 2020 11:48

acxel22 wrote:
29 Jun 2020 15:32

Did not manage routine easy mode dropless, Took about 30-45 minutes to adapt and feel it, then it was SUPER FUCKING WINDY!, DAMN YOU WIND MAKING ME DROP at 1MIN30 ALL THE TIME!
I feel your pain. The variables in the outside playing environment are so hard to predict, and you really feel them when you're competing instead of just shredding for fun. Wind has taken some Worlds sessions from me, and so has random noisy sessions where I can't hear my music cues over the uncontrolled outside environment.
acxel22 wrote:
I still need to film shred 30, but will wait next week for this
Yeah, you still have almost 2 weeks to get that in. I also find Shred30 attempts to be less taxing than routine sessions, at least mentally.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 03 Jul 2020 16:42

acxel22 wrote:
03 Jul 2020 04:22
It’s no flamingo dance! It’s both sided and does not show too much what I swapped! But I feel flamingo from right calf killing me now haha
Awesome! Glad to hear you are still in it!
TJ Boutorwick

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 05 Jul 2020 05:18

Few! What a night yesterday gathering all routines, I think about half arrived in the last 6 hours so I feel like I had no sleep, haha! Also sorting some issues last minute for some players, but we managed to make almost everything work, only remaining issue is players who give no sign of life, I think I stressed people enough globally and individually to have no regrets scratching someone who did not submit a video. That was my main concern since day one and I feel mission accomplished.

In less then 3 hours judging happens!
Mathieu Gauthier