RCS IN DA CLUB

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: RCS IN DA CLUB

Post by boyle » 19 Oct 2016 03:17

Cool links, particularly symp whirling swirl>ripstein. How high is your box for the box jump? I am at work so I haven't watched the video, it might tell me the answer.

Edit> Looks like this is the top post, so here's a painting. Thought I'd go with something Australian, which is on display in the National Gallery here in Canberra, some people love this series, some hate it. It's by Sidney Nolan of the bushranger Ned Kelly, who you probably won't know about if you are not in Australia.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 26 Oct 2016 12:40

My last 2 sessions have been uninspired. I think I've been working out too hard lately and my footbag sessions have been suffering as a result. In related good news my weight is at the lowest it's ever been and I hit my final goal. More on that when I post after Saturday's shred this week. As a result many tricks feel easier. I was working on pdx drifter and nuclear last Saturday and it's amazing how easy it is to whip the dexes. Feels a lot different and more consistent. I'm having fun working on those concepts.

I planned on spending an entire session going for my atom smasher goal on Saturday but was too tired and had to scrap that idea. Instead I spent the time working on barfly again. I felt on the cusp of a break through. I wasn't having any trouble with balance or mechanics. 10 was right there for the taking, but setting off my left foot was a little low and the bag kept falling off my right foot once I got several contacts in. I was able to get 5 contacts several times and I'm sure I'll break 10 soon. Still very disappointing but a vast improvement over not being able to get past 2.

I want to get my fearless up again so I have been working on geting new fearless contacts more consistent. I think my new 10 fearless combo will start with phoenix>fog rpt. I got it first try on Saturday which was encouraging.

Recently I hit:

pdx drifter>down rpt x 5
blurry drifter>ripwalk rpt x 2
blurry drifter>blurriest bs
matador>ripwalk rpt
phoenix>fog>dimiest
ripwarrior>fog>parkiest
bs whip>blurry whirl
blurriest>mobius>motion
fog>dimiest>blurry whirl
phoenix>sidewalk>blur>legbeater>blizzard>parkwalk>pdx mixer>dimwalk>sidewalk>blur>legbeater>blizzard>parkwalk>pdx mixer>dimwalk>crispy torque>ripwalk>crispy torque>blurry whirl>pdx mirage>paradon>ripwalk>stepping ss switch>open ss clip (hand catch, got off track of the shred 30, did not expect to get that far.)
95 adds
24 contacts
24 uniques
190 in 24 moves.
I'm having a lot of trouble with what to do after the blurry whirl. Everything up to that point is locked in. 19 contact 78 adds 2 5's 17 4's.
If you have any suggestions for a 10 move unique combo to add to my shred 30 I'd love to hear it. No ducks/dives or spins.
I'm currently thinking dyno>whirl>dyno>whirl>blurriest>ripwalk>infinity>spin duck down>mobius>motion. I will try to get this on film soon. Would be 119 adds and a score of 238. If I can make one of those whirls symposium I can get 240 which is my new goal.
boyle wrote:How high is your box for the box jump?
When going quick focusing on conditioning or in a superset I use the 18 in box. If I'm going slower and focused more on improving my jumping I'll use the 24 in box.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 03 Nov 2016 21:12

I was riding really high after my last session. I hit goal weight and shred was feeling great. I decided to add a little more core work to my routine last week and my back has not been feeling comfortable. I had to skip my last couple of sessions. On top of that I've been eating a ton of candy the last 4 days, goodbye goal weight.
Got back in the gym today and did a work out and a footbag cardio session. I didn't think my back was up for pushing my goals so I focused on consecutives and burning calories for an hour. Each move was done as many as I could. Pushed hard and minimal rest.

toe kicks, toe stalls, infinity, osis, atomic>toe stall, down>osis drills, swirl>down, drifter, smear, swirl, 41 ripwalks, took a break to hit flurry and open ss mixer both sides, spin duck clipper, last 11 moves of my shred 30 several times, spin duck down>mobius>motion several times, finished with 5 attempts at a 50 contact string, each attempt was over 30 contacts, finished with 5 minutes of jump rope.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 12 Nov 2016 23:03

I did a live Facebook feed thinking it would be fun but it was pretty stressful.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/154066981 ... 7884623410

Felt pressure to entertain which meant shredding non-stop, and hitting combos. I think I played faster and the whole session felt like I was doing a routine or shred 30. Great for competition training but I think in the future I need to have a plan of combos and goals to hit and to keep my solo session mentality despite broadcasting live. I felt I played terrible and could not hit a simple combo: spin duck down>mobius>motion which I have been hitting very consistently and often each session.
It was really fun being able to interact with the people watching and it felt like I was actually kicking with Derek, Allan, Nick etc. My phone screen is messed up right now so reading their comments was difficult. I would have liked to open it up to requests but I was having a hard time as it was.
I'd like to play a little more consistently before I broadcast again so I have more confidence. I have not been playing as often but my body is not cooperating. It's not worth pushing if I hit a set back. I'd rather not have to take an extended break to heal.
I played today after a workout and felt it was a good session. Today I hit:

shut switch x4 (3 times, kept dropping on 5th contact, going for 10)
fear>plo rpt
nallegam>plo rpt
nallegam>shut pickup bs
shut switch>magellan rpt
open ss pickup>symp pixie rpt
flurry>dimmiest bs
rubberman
blurriest>blurriest
mixer>parkwalk>ducking down>dbl pickup rpt first try(for Derek, requested this combo with an eggbeater during my live video, but I don't like eggbeaters so I did mixer.)
Last edited by bustinjustin on 21 Nov 2016 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 19 Nov 2016 22:33

Had a good session today. Felt some momentum so I filmed and Facebook live streamed the end of my session. The live stream went much better this time. I framed the shot well and pointed the comments away so I wouldn't feel pressured. It was the middle of a Saturday so I don't think many people were on FB to tune in.

Here's the video I made (slo-mo with music): I'm trying a different focus on bedwetters to get them cleaner and maybe put them back in my trick selection. Alas, I hate this move (because I don't feel I do it clean) and of all the times I hit it today it was at best thin.
I also footed fog>dimmiest twice today. I will hit that combo soon.

I'd like to edit the Facebook video so it would be easy to watch the good parts but it seems more complicated than I willing to make happen right now.

Here's the Facebook live feed:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/154066981 ... 2126912319

Facebook feed breakdown:
1:00 min: 27 contact run
2:15 fog>dimmiest
2:42 footed fog>dimmiest rpt and fell down in disbelief
3:43 open muted clip>swirl>dbl pickup rpt
4:32 rip warrior>blurry whirl>motion
6:03 shooting down>flurry
7:32 phoenix>fog bs
7:59 phoenix>bedwetter
8:42 blurry whirl>dyno>whirl>dyno>ss down>blurriest>ripwalk>infinity>spin duck down>spin duck osis>motion drop (last 11 contacts of my shred 30)
20:05 38 contact string
thanks and goodbye
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 22 Nov 2016 23:40

I'm going to keep doing this series of slowmo video combos. I'd like to get 10 really good combos or so and edit them into a video worth sharing with the FB group.

Breaking these down in slowmo is very motivating to get my dexes clean and these combos perfect. The slowmo enables me to see exactly which part of a move needs work rather than the entire move itself.

I'm very happy that I am able to work on high level combos. I'm not taking it for granted that I'm able to do these after my recent long battle with back pain. It's been a slow recovery but amazing to be working on fearless and triple dexes again.

Got a couple good combos today but I'm not satisfied and want to hit them better.
P.S. Did you know I invented and named plastic man? Probably 2003-04ish when rubber man was just invented and I was working on barfly and came up with the dbl down version of rubber man and named it similarly. I'd like to get plastic man 2 for this video series blurriest>flurry>dimmiest rpt. I will be attempting both sides in the near future.
Justin Dale
Videos

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 23 Nov 2016 07:13

Digging the slow-mo!

On a related note, what is your record for unique triple dexes? That could be an awesome one to see in slow-mo!

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 23 Nov 2016 10:29

C-Fan wrote:On a related note, what is your record for unique triple dexes?
This combo that was inspired by a video you released with triple dexes:
I had planned to go back and hit this combo with smogs for a personal best 8 triple dex combo. I was really happy this combo was fearless.

I'd like to hit this combo, blurriest>fog>dimmiest>fog>dimmiest>blurriest and I'd like to do that combo with smogs for my record, blurriest>fog>smog>dimmiest>fog>smog>dimmiest>blurriest.

Maybe in some bizarro world I could get jani walkers on that combo for 10 but I'd be really happy with 8.
Justin Dale
Videos

ninjo
Fearless

Post by ninjo » 23 Nov 2016 17:36

Nice combos. its good to hear you are healing and still shredding. keep at it.peace
Hard work never fails.
Organics,Poop,Laugh,Smile,Peace,Water,Dream,Share.
Lotus>Gyro Blender>Mobius.
BananaPeanutButterHoneyRaisinCinnamon
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/showset/luvids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01l-kAi_ ... t_received

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 07 Dec 2016 23:39

I think with a little work I can get nuclear sets in harder combos. I have some good one's planned for the slowmo series, but I'll have to work my way up.

I filmed for 5 minutes yesterday and hit a couple things for video.

Recently I hit:
leviathan (pretty excited, it looks clean to me)
flurry>motion bs (flip side could be cleaner)
matador>ripwalk rpt
step ss switch>open ss mirage>legbeater rpt
matador>pdx drifter bs
matador>drifter bs
rip warrior>matador bs
legbeater>matador bs
Monday's work out:
4 rounds:
20 lunges (15 lb dumbbells)
20 step ups (15 lb dumbbells)
20 squat jumps
Battle rope exercises 1 for each round (45 seconds): alternating wave, double wave, clapping, jumping jacks
50 jumping jacks
lastly 4 sets of 12 of a curl variation I saw recently:
half curl>elbow reverse fly>lateral press>overhead shoulder press

Last edited by bustinjustin on 09 Dec 2016 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Dale
Videos

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Dec 2016 10:07

Challenge: paradox drifter-matador-ripwalk repeat

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 08 Dec 2016 13:44

bustinjustin wrote:I think with a little work I can get nuclear sets in harder combos. I have some good one's planned for the slowmo series, but I'll have to work my way up.
Nuclear is a cool set. 69 is one of the tricks I want to hit in the near future. How is your 69 game?

Props on the highlights, especially in only 5 minutes! I think it took me like 6-8 minutes to hit flip marius. That time included me throwing the bag against the wall in disgust.
C-Fan wrote:Challenge: paradox drifter-matador-ripwalk repeat
I am going to try this combo too. I have hit it without the p. drifter, so may be doable. Haven't been practicing nuclear recently though...
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 09 Dec 2016 09:20

C-Fan wrote:paradox drifter-matador-ripwalk repeat
I planned hitting matador>pdx drifter>drifter rpt next session. Came very close last session. I'll do the ripwalk version too.
Justin Dale
Videos

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 10 Dec 2016 22:57

I did a live Facebook video today. It was the end of my session and I wanted to do 20 contact strings with 30-45 second rest between and repeat. Started out well, but I got off track and then I felt pressure and I let myself get frustrated. Learned a lesson that I will have to have better control of my mindset for future live videos. All that said, I love doing live videos, it's cool to see friends and footbaggers join the feed and get to interact with them.

Body was feeling good so I had plans to accomplish a lot of combos. Sadly that feeling did not translate to my footbag session. I was not able to get much of what I was trying and my phone kept running out of space. I need to clear off old footage.

I was most happy with matador>ripwarrior today. I want to repeat that combo and it's much harder than getting ripwarrior>matador.

My body needs a break from nuclear sets. I did a lot of them today and my back is feeling it.
My girlfriends dog is terrible at catching treats. I've been making lots of slowmo videos of the dog. I'll start posting them along with my blog posts. This is the first one I made.
Justin Dale
Videos

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Dec 2016 00:20

Great combos in that vid. I was hoping you were going to repeat the matador > awesome-trick stuff, but I guess that is in a (near!) future video. :)

If gravity were a bit stronger, Greta would be on point with the timing I reckon.
TJ Boutorwick

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 20 Dec 2016 22:58

My last session took a harder tole on my back than expected. Nothing terrible but my back has been too uncomfortable to put through the wear and tear of a footbag session. It's feeling normal again, tonight I went to the gym for the first time in a week and a half and I'm looking forward to my next session.

It's been a year since I started my come back and I wanted to commemorate it with a blog post chronicling the progress.

The last time I competed at USO was in 2012. I had taken up body building sometime in 2010 and by 2012 I was in the best shape of my life. I was working out 2-3 times a week, ab class 2 times a week, yoga once a week, joined a crossfit gym and worked out with them once a week, shred twice a week and street performing 1-3 times a week. I was at peak shred, hitting beasts with ease, breaking personal fearless records, performing 2 minute dropless routines regularly and getting closer to that jackpot combo.

For reference of where I was physically and in footbag here's a run from 2012 USO Circle Finals Variety Round. I'd forgotten I started this round of variety with the combo shown. I don't think I've ever done that combo before or since. Both rounds are worth watching if you're into it, I took 3rd (maybe could have taken second, beating Gordon?)

https://youtu.be/YCIgzqVVFnU?t=112

My starting weight in 2010 was 180 lb and by 2012 I was hovering around 195 lb, I had put on about ~15 lbs of lean muscle. My goal was to reach 200 lb. I got to around 198 lb mid 2013 and everything started to fall apart. I tweaked my back the first time and it wasn't too serious, nothing I haven't done before. Rest a couple weeks and back to work. Started slow, work my way up, but I hit another set back, and another, and another. Every time I felt good enough to go back I'd tweak it again. My biggest mistake and injury happened during a session with my personal trainer. I had been back at the gym a few weeks doing hard workouts with lighter weights. He'd been bugging me about doing a session so I made an appointment. Everything was going well, he had me doing kettle bell swings (one of my favorite exercises) and he said, "that's too easy, grab a heavier weight." I did and after about 4 swings my back went out. Worse than I'd experienced in a long time, it hasn't been quite the same ever since.

So I stopped everything. Going to and from work was the most I was moving. I often had to lay down periodically at work just to get through the day. I was experiencing anxiety attacks and back spasms all the time. I was miserable. Even when I'd get some modicum of comfort back I'd have another set back. One of the worst occurred picking up a pumpkin on my way to a Halloween party. As I was carving the pumpkin my back started seizing up and before I knew it I couldn't move. So there I was, time was slipping by, about a year and a half, no exercise, no footbag, not much moving, lot's of drinking and eating poorly. I accepted that I'd never be able to get back to that level of footbag I achieved in early 2013. I decided it was time to retire.

I hosted USO in 2013, before my debilitating condition had gotten serious. I didn't play at all that weekend but was feeling good enough to put on a tournament. By 2014 USO I was around rock bottom. 2015 USO I attended but played very little and didn't have much consistency. By November 2015 the comeback was on. Here's the first video of me shredding since 2013.
In the video I weigh around 195 lb but it's no longer lean muscle. I'm pudgy, sluggish, off balance and heavy.

I set new goals. I no longer care about my max bench press, or putting on muscle. I just want to be able to shred to the best of my ability. Last November I set a goal of getting back down to 180 lb. I don't think the extra muscle/weight did my back much good and the best shredders in the world have all been super lean (e.g. Norek, Penske). I've put my focus on conditioning and cross training instead of weight lifting. I never push myself too hard and never overload on the weights. On Oct. 6 I hit my goal weight, for the first time since 2010 I stepped on the scale and saw 180 lb. Today I weighed 181 lb.

Comparing this video (Oct. 18 2016) to the last one (Nov. 18 2015) exemplifies my progress over this last year. Body is lean, dexes are crisp, speed and level are up.
I've lost several elements to my game. I can no longer do my good side pdx whirl which was crucial to all my fearless, beasts and 7's. But now I get to develop a new style, push new concepts and see if I can attain my goals all over again, like 10 fearless and new beast combos. It would be even more satisfying to achieve these again after going through so much and having to develop a completely new set of links.

My outlook is bright and I can't say enough how grateful I am to be able to play and continue pushing my game. I'll be coordinating competition at World's this year, but I also plan on making my comeback to competition. It's been a long journey but I'm so glad to be back on track.

Thanks for reading my long post. Here's another video of Greta being bad at catching treats to make up for it.
Justin Dale
Videos

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 21 Dec 2016 08:27

Really enjoyed that post. On one hand it sucks to hear all the physical setbacks you've dealt with in the past 5 years, but on the other hand its really cool to see you push past them too.

I liked the first drill in the video. Is that the opener to your Shred30? Are you still working on Shred30?

Also, have you tried the 2016 LOTD? I bet you could hit almost all of those combos (I've never seen you do surging, so not sure if you could get the bigwalk one).

Been digging the Greta videos too. That first one her attempt was even worse than I was expecting; I literally laughed out loud.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 21 Dec 2016 15:22

I have enjoyed your chronicles of the comeback...it has been interesting reading. This was a great post and best of luck for keeping it up.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 23 Dec 2016 09:07

Last night's session was great. Kept it short 40 minutes, didn't want to over do it. Super happy, I continue to make progress on the drills I'm working.

Focused last night on my flip double downs (lots of flip paradons) and rotating more on flip motion (still needs work). I ended the session working on shred 30 again since Ken mentioned it, but nothing interesting in that regard. I've hit shooting star a couple times over that last few sessions (Boyle request) but I want a really clean one for video and they are still thin.

I'm really happy with how my double down dexes are coming along. The set height and timing of my blurriest is getting better. Blurriest>symp whirling swirl was a great combo and helped a lot to figure out the timing of blurriest. They're starting to lock in and feel comfortable in and out of combos. I'm planning on replacing the blurry whirls in all my old combos with blurriests once it's mastered. I made more progress on plastic man 2 and hope to hit flip side in the next 2 sessions. Also, I was able to hit flip flurry>open motion a couple times yesterday and I wasn't able to come close the previous session.

drills that didn't make the video:
barrage>motion rpt
barage>dimwalk>blur>legbeater rpt
flip blurriest>spin duck down
atomic tap>smear>PLO rpt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36KL87lNmEM

I think this video in particular is going to help me hone the areas that need improvement on motion, flurry, dimmiest, and blurriest. I've already watched it a lot, slowmo is so helpful.
Justin Dale
Videos

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 23 Dec 2016 15:44

nice combos, brah.

How do you feel about your stepping set? I ask because I feel like there is a second after the set, as you are clearing the stepping dex, where you are frozen...oh, maybe you are jumping? Not sure if it's affecting anything negatively, but it's just something I noticed. I do it too I think, and I feel like because of it, I am losing that split second where I could be doing something else, e.g., regaining balance, setting up for another component, shifting body weight, etc. Does that make sense? If you are fine with your stepping set, ignore me. Just putting it out there. Like prom night.
TJ Boutorwick