Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by boyle » 15 Jan 2021 21:54

Yes, I liked the muted challenge. It's something I hadn't thought of too much before. Some of the challenges were a bit harder than I expected, the clipper one took me quite a few attempts.

I like doing that with the Instagram posts, helps me sometimes find some other players that I realise that I'm not following.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 18 Jan 2021 17:48

boyle wrote:
13 Jan 2021 02:50
. Could maybe start with a country thing. I might even do that on Twitter in the coming weeks, make a thread for great players from x country. Then you could have lists of any videos they've been in, good tournament results. I've always got to the thinking point and realised it would be a really mega project. Could be interesting though.
For sure. One idea I've kicked around, is making "mount rushmores" for various countries. Basically, who are the 5 best ever for a given country, not necessarily ranked. Some are surprisingly tricky. Here's a few I had on my mind:

:arrow: Finland: Aleksi, Felix, Juho, Toni, Lauri (if we included net, then Tuomas Karki and Matti probably bump off Toni and Lauri)
:arrow: Czech: Vasek, Milan, Honza, Dominik, Jindra
:arrow: Japan: Takumi, Henmo, Kenzo, Taishi, LA Classic?
:arrow: New Zealand: Phil, Johnny, Liam, Floyd?
:arrow: USA: Clavens, Evan, Mulroney, Shults, Peter?

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Jan 2021 23:30

Adrian Dick would have to be in the list for NZ, probably number 3. Crazy that the Czech top 5 are all World champions. Patrik Cerny doesn't even get on his own country's top 5 and he's had a Worlds victory. No Jim or Rippin for USA? If we're in for tournaments and many, many dexes Anssi is a shout for Finland.

This is off the top of my head with no research.

Poland - Damian, Norek, Rafal, Pawel, Wiktor if we're counting all round performance, doubles, net, longevity.
Switzerland - Tina, Rene, Karim, can't think of too many others off the top of my head.
Canada - Johnny S, Byrin W, Jorden, Allen, _____ blank space to decide on an obvious one I've forgotten.
Australia - Dan E, Lynton, Jeremy, I might make this list, Ian

The problem is the depth chart in different areas. The USA probably has the most players in general, and places like Czech, Poland, Finland have such long lists of high quality. But that is a good way to focus on the good players in each country.

In personal news, I won the footbag Scavenger Hunt. I mentioned something about hoping turn out in the NYJ was low so I would pick up a bag. Well I was mentioning the wrong event, because nobody else went in open level. Which didn't surprise me as anytime I asked if people were working on it, there was pretty well silence. Which is a little disappointing for the guys running it. Good for me though, I was due to get a new bag and may still do so.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKKgU_wpver/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKFnvo0J0zt/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKNITDUJ6Dz/

A couple of Instagram clips.

This time last year Nico and I were in Perth. We managed to fit in that trip in between the fires and the Covid times, and it was quite a good journey. Some footbag in here and also sliding down waterslides and jumping into pools.

I was playing footbag in the park today, a bloke came up and asked to have a kick. He's like, have a beer, you're doing great. So that was a profitable experience!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 20 Jan 2021 10:30

boyle wrote:
18 Jan 2021 23:30
Adrian Dick would have to be in the list for NZ, probably number 3.
Good call. Liam reached a higher absolute level of play than Adrian, but for the time periods they were active Adrian was closer to the top. That is, Adrian in the late 90s was likely a top 20 shredder in the World, while Liam in the mid-2000s was not. Weird how that works.

boyle wrote:
No Jim or Rippin for USA? If we're in for tournaments and many, many dexes Anssi is a shout for Finland.
US is super hard to do, both due to the number of players and also that the footbag scene has been active in the USA longer than anywhere in the world. For absolute shred level, I could see Jim on a list with Evan, Clavens, Mulroney, etc. Lon too. For Finland I agree Anssi should be on there. His peak from like 08-2012 was higher than Lauri or Toni.
boyle wrote:
Poland - Damian, Norek, Rafal, Pawel, Wiktor
OLAF!!!!

boyle wrote:
In personal news, I won the footbag Scavenger Hunt. I mentioned something about hoping turn out in the NYJ was low so I would pick up a bag.
Congrats! You gotta be in it to win it. The hunt sounded like a cool idea for sure, and I wanted to participate. Just didn't work out with injuries.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Jan 2021 21:25

Yeah, put Olaf at the top of that list for sure.

Turn out for NYJ was much better, great worldwide participation. I was in the middle of the areas. Ryan did an awesome job with the videos, they are up on Youtube now, I'll embed them a bit later.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 30 Jan 2021 02:44

Alright. I broke my round of daily Instagram posts. It's always a busy schedule these days. Today it was Nico's birthday and yesterday was our anniversary. We had some time down the coast as a family, then one night Dad looked after the kids and we had a night at a beachside cabin. Of course you talk about big nights and such and such and going to bed at 8:30...

I also got out on the bodyboard, that was good because recent visits have had waves either completely flat or enormous and dangerous. It wasn't particularly high quality, but nice to have a splash.

Here's a decent run from the day before - https://www.instagram.com/p/CKfBb4CpMo1/

Here's something from on grass - https://www.instagram.com/p/CKaDb_2J8Mm/

I mentioned I've been trying to throw in some more "hack" moves. A good thing I did was outside kick>spinning butterfly - I've done some other similar stuff, double dexes to kicks. Flying butterfly>ducking osis. Can't remember too many others off the top of my head.

I've done up a vlog of a day out with the kids. A bit of footbag in there.

Also the reality that we have been very lucky Covid wise and someone mentioned it looks like we are living a normal life, which we more or less are. They did find Covid remnants in the Wastewater of our area recently though, so let's see if anything comes of it.

Speaking of school holidays, the new school year is about to start. I don't have a teaching gig as yet, but there should be plenty of casual work. If not, I can work some more in the hostel, I have been doing some shifts there recently and they want me to train up some new staff.

Speaking of vlogs, I'd like to do a monthly footbag vlog, which will be a mix of some stuff I've worked on in the past month, some talk about footbag in world terms and maybe some goal setting sort of stuff. When I was in Chile I did some monthly videos just of built up footage to make some use of it.

I'm actually reasonably impressed with some of these runs, that's 8 years back now.

Let's think of some more country lists.

Germany - Jakob Wagner, Yves Kreil, Chinsen, Matthias Schmidt, Max Kerkhoff - I don't really have enough knowledge of those guys at their peak to really put it in a proper order.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 30 Jan 2021 15:35

boyle wrote:
30 Jan 2021 02:44
Also the reality that we have been very lucky Covid wise and someone mentioned it looks like we are living a normal life, which we more or less are.
Same here. Aotearoa has been really lucky to have kept it off our shores. Of course, there have been a few slips here and there, but still no community cases, and for that I am grateful.
boyle wrote:
30 Jan 2021 02:44
I'm actually reasonably impressed with some of these runs, that's 8 years back now.
I like watching older vids especially knowing how people's current shred is because you get to see the same style over the years.

Great video by the way. Sometimes I feel like I am busting harder than I ever have, then I watch videos of me like 10 years ago and realize that isn't true. I think one of the biggest differences between then and now is the extent that I bail. When I was kicking with others, in MI and in Japan, there were fewer bails, and harder links. Of course, that came with a shortened string length, so I suppose that is a trade-off.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 04 Feb 2021 14:38

It will be interesting to see if travel between Aus and NZ opens up by the end of the year - I would say probably yes, and maybe to certain parts of the Pacific Islands too, but not much further afield.

I've been swimming quite a bit lately. Here's a run from by the pool. I've joined in with this fundraising challenge with some of the teachers from the school. I need to reach 14km in about a month, and after doing 2.5km (100 laps), I am about halfway through, and pretty well on track.

Here's a little run from by the poolside. https://www.instagram.com/p/CK2Up9xJaTG/

I haven't had much work this week, so I've been working on knocking that off. The next two weeks I have more work coming up, so that's good. Looks like I will get a PE gig one day a week in a school, so that will be good to work on, hopefully I could get one more stable day and then go on from there.

Interesting video from Matt Kemmer on his Passback channel about the differences between Footbag and Hacky Sack

Differences to the common observer that is. Hasn't gone down well with everyone though - this was a comment from the Facebook group.
Theodore Huff
Bullshit! HackySack is a BRAND NAME! Footbag is the game object. Cheap gutamalen crochet bags are terrible.
· Reply · 16m
Theodore Huff
Get your facts straight before you try to show your ignorance
Now that Worlds has been announced as being online, I've got to figure some strategies. I almost got the 200+ shred 30, so that should be in reach.

This has nothing to do with footbag - but it came up on my Facebook feed, some crazy kayaking from Chile. https://bit.ly/3pK6TWV

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 05 Feb 2021 09:10

Wow! That response from Ted is wild. It looks like it's been deleted, though he still doesn't seem very supportive.

I haven't watched it all the way through yet, but I tend to trust Matt to be thoughtful about the content he puts out, so seeing that sort of reaction was very surprising.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Feb 2021 11:44

I think what it is from some of the older players is a very literal interpretation of the Hacky Sack TM, whereas Matt is talking more about the impressions that a first onlooker is going to get.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 19 Feb 2021 03:56

I did two footbag things today. I've been teaching at a school this week, they've now given me a 3 day a week contract for terms 2 and 3, so I guess that's a success.

Anyway, I did a bit of a footbag session with the class. They are year 4, so most about 10 years old. Some of them were able to get some pretty good control and have some good rallies of a few touches. I let it go pretty freely today as we'll probably do something more with the same class next week.

Anyway, it was all a bit of a rush - from there I had to first pick up the kids, within an hour and get back to the "Gungahlin Sports Day". This was quite a cool event and I wish I could have stayed longer and had a proper stall - but I gave a demo in the middle of the stage, but most people were busy looking at the stalls. I also had the kids with me, but at least they called out and said "yeah! footbag!", then they came up on the stage and danced around while I was going. There was also a free BBQ, which always goes down well. I only had minutes to be there, and then I had to come in to work at the hostel. Today was a bit rushed, that's saying something.

We are heading to Sydney tomorrow, it's just going to be a short visit, so don't think I'll get some kicks in. Don't know if I've mentioned but Caroline is back in Australia. Sounds like she hasn't been kicking much of late but just having her less than 10,000km away should be a big boost to the scene. We had a bit of a chat the other day. She's in Brisbane at the moment, I mentioned she should reach out to Jesse Malouf. I don't think he's playing at the moment, but he regularly posts on my videos on Instagram or when someone mentions an old video on the Facebook group he's always talking about it. He probably has a better knowledge than me on that front!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Mar 2021 21:42

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMBi8AUnlpb/

I saw Ken post in another thread the Footbag Worlds information and I was wondering if the Instagram plugin is working now (it is). That's exciting.

Speaking of Instagram - here's the last month - Feb 2021 on Instagram - https://sportslashlife.com/footbag-on-i ... uary-2021/

So I'm considering some side events for the Worlds - my main considerations are as follows.

Consecutive kicks - 1 min, 5 mins (easy access, serious kickers who may not be so interested in freestyle at the moment. 5 min segment will follow official rules)
Creativity based contest - 10 unique tricks, 20 add limit (basically reverse add hunt).
Unusual surface - this one I haven't fleshed out yet, but I'm thinking about something for unusual surfaces specifically.
Trick of the week - this one won't really be a contest, but just a regular thing for people to do, who maybe are not in the contest. Won't be so hard as some of the link of the day, but then people can go for most of that trick, or form runs with that trick into different tricks.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions along those lines.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMAS1M5I6Av/

I've been teaching quite a bit recently. I've been going to a few different schools, I've shown a lot of footbag to a lot kids in the last week or so. I'm teaching regularly at a Muslim school one day a week, doing their PE. That's something quite interesting. A few keen soccer players there and some have picked up footbag pretty well, a couple of them did things like toe stall, up on to neck stall.

I finished my swimming thing, 14km in one month. Don't think I've done anything like that kind of distance before. Glad that's over but I'll keep some swimming in my training. Did some footbag by the pool yesterday, was nice in the water and barely anyone in the pool.

I've been meaning to make a post for a while but I just kind of run out of time. It's been a fairly exhausting week, we were up very early this morning to go and see the hot air balloon festival - oh, and we've bought a new car. Our car has been making weird sounds for a time, so we've been on the lookout. We are going to go with a Subaru Outback. My Dad has one and he has good things to say about it.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 07 Mar 2021 09:56

boyle wrote:
05 Mar 2021 21:42
We are going to go with a Subaru Outback. My Dad has one and he has good things to say about it.
Ah yes, the Australian Outback.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Mar 2021 00:37

An opportunity for on of those "where my parents think I go/where my friends think I go/where I actually go" memes.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Mar 2021 12:49

I've been playing a little bit lately. Had a decent proper session on Tuesday. Some good work with bigger motion tricks, motion sickness etc. Haven't really worked on that kind of stuff in a while.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMOZslspYoQ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMMTrpigPpF/

I had a couple of nice comments in that second video, asking if I feel I'm in the best form I've been. I'm not so sure about that, I've been working on my consistency lately. Sometimes I feel I've been able to do bigger combos in the past but I think I'm getting longer runs going on a more regular basis.

I've been teaching a lot lately, been a tiring week actually. I'm taking Nico to the first Raiders game of the season today. It's currently raining but hopefully that clears by afternoon. You can't take bags and things in, I'm not sure if umbrellas are on the banned list.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 16 Mar 2021 02:54

Did some work on Shred 30 today. This was my best event in Worlds last year and I think I can do a reasonable amount better as well, though others probably have the same idea. Anyway, I was sticking to a reasonably similar plan as last year, and I got something like this.

phoenix>ducking pdx mirage>fairy op butterfly>pdx mirage>dimwalk >blur>dimwalk>blur>parkwalk>sidewalk>ripwalk>sidewalk>ripwalk>diving clipper>ducking clipper>diving butterfly>ducking butterfly>diving butterfly>ducking butterfly>ducking osis>torque> drop on butterfly. Place on the toe Darkwalk>spinning ducking butterfly>spinning clipper, another drop.

Up to the torque is 21 tricks, which I have reasonably well in place. So probably the best is to get some reasonably low risk tricks in the end part there. Previously I've gone torque, a butterfly to get a bit of balance and then a little spinning run of spinning clipper>spinning butterfly>spinning osis.

Raiders won that first game. Good start but plenty for them to work on.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 19 Mar 2021 02:33

It's the weekend coming of a pretty long week. Actually I'm still at work for 2 more hours so the weekend is not quite there yet. It's been a busy week, I've got in a bit of footbag here and there. We bought a new car, you can see it in the background of this clip.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMbcQCHrPWC/

That's pretty smooth sailing, our old car makes a lot of weird noises and is coming towards end of life times, so it's kind of exciting to have a fairly new car (it's about 2 years old). Neither of us have ever actually bought a car before. It's been a big week for purchases for me, I bought a new laptop and a new phone after some considerations for months and months. Because my pay from the casual teaching comes basically a month after I work, I'm been waiting a while to make some bigger purchases.

:roll: Also got a parking fine today, thought I had found a great spot in the university. "Too good to be true"...Woops.

I've been doing some teaching, lots of teaching actually. Been able to show footbag to a few different classes, have some kids have a go. In the class I'm teaching at regularly there's a few kids who picked up quite well, will have to work on doing some more later in the year.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Mar 2021 15:39

That’s awesome about the footbag exposure you’re giving! How old are the kids?

Also congrats on the car and your other purchases! That’s a big deal!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Mar 2021 01:29

I'm teaching primary school - doing relief teaching at the moment so I am here and there across all grades. The kids are generally 5-12 years old. It was interesting to hear one of the PE teachers said the school really enjoyed what the kids did with me, so the school is going to buy a full set, was really happy to hear that. At that same school they invited me out for drinks the other night. That was really nice because when you are a relief teacher you just kind of sit in the corner and nobody invites you to anything (though you get paid more and don't go to meetings and go home once the bell rings, so there's a trade off).

I saw you bought a house too, big life stuff!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Apr 2021 01:59

School holidays, good stuff.

We've had a week or so going here and there, that's been a nice time. I got to catch up with Dyalan yesterday here in Canberra. It was freezing cold so he wasn't up for a kick but I did a few runs while we were catching up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNedNYNJAw-/

Matt Cross has run another weird trick thing on Instagram, I got an entry in at the last moment for that. I was able to submit a couple of things - atomic dragonfly and pixie knee bumping ducking symp mirage (caught on inside). That's probably technically two tricks anyway. Neither of them will win, but good to get an entry in.

Just got my bags from Mike Toolan for the Scavenger Hunt comp! Exciting stuff. Haven't been able to use them yet, they were waiting for me once we got back yesterday. They look good.

I will have to put some more photos and whatnot up from the trip, we saw some cool stuff, went and visiting my relatives who have bought a small farm, then spent some time in the Blue Mountains. I will hopefully make a vlog about that in the coming days.