Jorden's Whirl Tutorial 2011

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Jorden's Whirl Tutorial 2011

Post by Jorden » 21 Feb 2011 05:27

Whirl

STEP 1: clipper position (back straight, shoulders back, bag between shoulders, support knee slightly bent, support foot turned in slightly
STEP 2: push off the toes of support foot, set footbag between knee and waist height
STEP 3: straighten dexing leg and swing it away from body 90 degrees relative to where your (new) support foot points immediately after the first hop
STEP 4: When dexing leg reaches parallel with the ground, point the toes of the dexing foot (can also turn foot inwards slightly, and bring your heel to your butt to dex (horizontal movement). It is important to abduct and isolate the knee. Never bring it towards your stomach!
STEP 5: lower the heel of the dexing foot as you bring your knees back to parallel and shoulder with.
STEP 6: Magic hop as the dexing foot lands and do a normal clipper.

Key points:
- upper body stays isolated throughout
- dexing leg is at its highest point and clearing the dex at the footbag's peak
- think of the trick as two parts for timing: one hop switch feet and clear the dex, second hop switch feet magic hop stall. both parts take the same amount of time.

For reverse whirl, do the exact same steps for the dex but in reverse!
Jorden Moir

kam
Hack Fiend

Post by kam » 03 Mar 2011 00:36

thanks jorden, this should be helpful for players like me.

I've done whirls, but I still can't do more than two in a row, which tells me I have lots to work on. the wording is a little confusing without pictures, but I'll try to study each step carefully.

thanks for the tutorial

kam

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 22 Mar 2011 14:29

Yeah Kam i've hit like 20 consecutive whirls both sides before and done countless drills with whirls but mine are still not dialed. If i tried right now i would probably only make about 8. For whatever reason i cant school this trick hopefully some of this will help

thanks Jorden
Cory Allen
My Footblog

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Dec 2011 18:01

I'm gonna try to relearn whirls the proper way. Any tips from anyone who followed these steps? -- like, problems along the way and how you approached them? I think the reason that I always pointed my knee in for whirls is because dexing further out hurt my hip -- anyone else?