swirling monster/motor

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

swirling monster/motor

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 05 Mar 2012 17:29

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPzq3ra_gqc[/youtube]

its sooooooo styley but whats the key? been trying this for a while but I cant seem to wrap my head around what exactly it is or the best way of approaching it.

tips/ideas?
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 05 Mar 2012 18:42

I don't have any tips, but I'll add this to the trick tips master list.
One question, though: is it 3 adds (symp (BOD) swirling (DEX) inside stall (DEL))? Or is there a gyro BOD add too, making it 4? I just want to know where to put it in the "table of contents".

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 07 Mar 2012 22:35

The video doesn't work for me but I can hit swirling monsters pretty easily. If you can hit clipper to same monster x5 than this isn't hard. That part of this that you have to focus on is the plant after you set and then hop into the monster and as you are slide your leg over and look back over your shoulder.

I don't know what the move in the video was but swirling monster is 2 adds.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Mar 2012 00:18

Thanks.
Is motor the same thing as swirling monster?

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 08 Mar 2012 23:18

Corey wrote:The video doesn't work for me but I can hit swirling monsters pretty easily. If you can hit clipper to same monster x5 than this isn't hard.
well guy, what exactly defines a monster?
Kevin Hogan

BSC

JoshMan01
Shredaholic

Post by JoshMan01 » 18 Mar 2012 19:06

It looks like you have it. idk what you need tips for. I used to do these a long time ago, so I have some general advice...

The movements done for the swirl in this trick aren't like a normal swirl. You pretty much just lift your foot up then use the "spin" to move your leg over it. The most effortless way for me was to kind of jump forward over the bag, letting the spin take care of the dex, then just an inside stall. It ends up feeling pretty natural. I do motor/motorfly(butter motor) variants like this.
Josh Lewis

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 21 Mar 2012 13:13

When I do it (I'm not often successful) it feels a lot like a reverse hopover combined with an osis.

Also, as far as I know, monster just refers to the weird inside stall where it's wrapped around your support foot. It's not really feasible if you don't have weird legs and has nothing to do with learning motor.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ljSd6oPsm8

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 23 Mar 2012 07:49

1. Nathan hit it on the head with monster. Especially the part about it not having to do much with being able to hit motor.

2. Motor is weird, because it looks like a swirling spinning inside stall, but to me it doesn't feel that way.

3. I hit this trick flipside yesterday, just so I'd be able to post advice here and not feel weird. Here's how I think about this trick.

:arrow: You don't need a swirling set to hit this.
:arrow: I make a point to set the bag ever so slightly before I move. I think the move is possible by just swirling into it, but I find that setting the bag a couple inches in the air before attacking the swirl gives me more time to spin around for the inside stall.
:arrow: Though the dex looks like a swirl, and it kind of starts like one, it doesn't feel like a swirl to me. The dex feels a lot more like a whirling inside (whizz) dex.
:arrow: The most important part of the trick, is pivoting your hips as much as you can. So its like set slightly, then pivot your hips as hard as you can, and then scoop. I barely think of the dex, and instead let the pivot take care of it for me.
:arrow: The final catch is entirely blind, and feels kind of like a scoop.

Hope this helps a bit. The trick you first posted is symp motor, which I believe is rotor, which I have yet to hit. But I think it makes sense to learn rotor first.

Good luck!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: swirling monster/motor

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 24 Jun 2013 21:24

I've been messing with this a bunch recently and I think they best thing to do is first learn swirls from all surfaces, then do the swirl and just let the bag drop to the ground. Say you swirl with the right foot, now turn to the right and place your left foot (in an inside stall position) above the bag (which is still on the ground) and figure out the timing to get that bag to land on the inside stall. This helped me figure out Swirling Monsters. Hope this helps anyone trying to learn them.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman