Pixie Ducking Butterfly/Open Ducking Far Down (Phoenix)

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 15 Aug 2004 11:35

TOE > SAME IN [DEX] >> DUCK [BOD] > OP OUT [DEX] > OP CLIP [XBD][DEL]

Hey guys, I've got a little problem! I can do the pixie ducking part pretty easily barefoot, but am having a really hard time while shredding with shoes on! Any advice on setting higher? The shoes do seem a little heavy, but I really like em'. So, any tips would be great! Thanks!!

BTW, the shoes are Vans TNTs in case you're wondering.
Kaushik Amancherla

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 15 Aug 2004 11:59

try and maintian three 90 degree angles on pixie, one at the ankle, one at the knee, and one at the hip, and keep your support foot planted the entire time, i really felt keeping the other foot on the ground helped the height and power of my pixies
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 15 Aug 2004 12:08

Also, keep your balance and your body as much "over" the bag as you possibly can. I find this helps greatly when i want to set pixie really high!
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

ShredStylez
Republican

Post by ShredStylez » 15 Aug 2004 12:27

Lean over your pixie and duck while setting.
There is always a bigger trick.

Go watch a vid. of Dylan Fry.

-Mark "The Force" Schwartz

AIvanyo
BSOS Beast

Post by AIvanyo » 15 Aug 2004 14:47

I see alot of people give a little jump while they do the pixie, for a better snap. That gets it a little higher for your duck.
Andrew Ivanyo

Representing The Ministry of Silly Walks

ebo
Unexplained Bacon

Post by ebo » 15 Aug 2004 23:12

What everybody else said, and practice! the more you get the pixie down,
the higher it gets. Try to set as explosive as possible.

ericksonj
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ericksonj » 16 Aug 2004 11:51

Just keep working it. Really put your body into the set, i.e. dip down with the support leg and thrust up as you are setting the bag. No need to jump, but if it helps then you might as well. Wait till your pixie ducking set is good enough so that all you have to do is duck your head down. There is nothing worse than seeing a phoenix executed with the person's head near their waist.
Always Shreddin
James Erickson
Eugene Footbag Association (Orton, Nasty, Me)
w/ new additions (Casey, Alex, Eddie, and Shawnell)

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 16 Aug 2004 15:46

also make sure ur bag has sufficient weight to it... some sandbags (if ur using sand) lose filler kind of quick and you wont always notice it... trying to pixie set with any height and a light sandbag is never easy
not sure if the same applies to bead bags... i used an abshire mini so its more than heavy enough! :)
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda

dblthnk84
the Bum

Post by dblthnk84 » 16 Aug 2004 15:47

Keep your knee's away from your nose. They don't mix well.
________
Ford Del Rey
Last edited by dblthnk84 on 07 Feb 2011 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 18 Aug 2004 05:50

Thanks for the help guys! I did a pixie ducking clipper yesterday with shoes on!! :D Yeah, I guess I duck a little too much; so I'm gonna keep working on phoenix until I only have to duck my head instead of my whole torso! Once again, thanks for all the help! :D
Kaushik Amancherla

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 15 Jan 2007 14:43

Yeah im having problems with phoenix. I can easily pixie then duck the bag, got that down a long time ago. The bag goes straight down between my legs and hits the ground before I can put my foot under it. Also if i ever DO catch it it just bounces off my foot like a kick instead of the smooth sticking normal butterflys. I seem to have the same problem with dim and ripwalk. I guess its just timing right?

PS: if i was in a comp would a kicked phoenix count if i dropped it after the kick?
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 15 Jan 2007 15:13

It sounds like the real problem is your butterfly, Anthony. Instead of trying to hit more advanced tricks just drill the hell out of butter, getting your butterfly solid will help to hit tricks ending in butterfly (like dim, rip, phoenix).

*Make sure you bend your support knee to cushion the stall.

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 15 Jan 2007 17:05

My butterflys by them self are solid. Everytime without fail they're perfect. Im just trying to work them into other tricks.
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 15 Jan 2007 19:55

Do you have good ducking butterfly? That may be the problem.

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 15 Jan 2007 21:01

no.. i think that is the problem. I can duck into a butterfly but i usually fuck up by kickin it away instead of stalling or missing the bag.
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 16 Jan 2007 01:31

[mod edit]I changed the title of this thread. For some reason it read "Pixie Ducking Mirage (Phoenix)[/edit]
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 17 Jan 2007 11:12

man... when landing the duck how can you tell where the bag will be?? Ive noticed thats a problem, i move my foot here and the bag is 2 inches the other way.
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

xsisbest
Shredaholic

Post by xsisbest » 09 Jul 2012 23:00

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get pixie ducking.. If I could get it over my head I would have no problem with the butterfly as I can hit back to back ducking butterfly's pretty easily. My problem is not getting enough height on it. I've tried several variations of setting higher and jumping and giving it my all etc.. and I still have to knee my nose to get down under it. And I'm only 5'8"!!! lol. No matter how much oomph I put into the rise of my setting leg it never goes higher than my chest. Occasionally I can get it over my head but it's maybe 1 in 50 tries. Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated.
A dream becomes a goal when action is taken towards it's achievement

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 10 Jul 2012 09:50

1. The set doesn't have to be head height. Because you duck under the bag, you can set about chest height and still get this trick.
2. Don't start ducking too early. This can be counterintuitive, but trust me. If you start the ducking motion before the pixie is complete, you will invariably mess up the pixie motion.
3. The pixie set should be tight and fast. It's more important that the dex completes quickly and that foot is on the ground and under you, than any concerns about the height of the set. Speaking of which.
4. The pixie foot should come back down directly beneath you. If your pixie foot hits the ground to the side of you, the ducking down will be awkward to get.
5. Fast, tight set. Think chest height for the set height. Separate the pixie and the duck in your mind. Duck, and butterfly.

Hope this helps some. Remember, don't make this trick harder than it needs to be.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Jul 2012 06:51

Also, your support leg should do 80% of the trick. A confident magic hop will make the set go much higher that you think. Also, so as not to be confused when Ken says a "tight, fast set", hold the bag on your foot for as long as possible. Don't try to throw your leg up in the air with massive force. Use your support leg, keep it on your toe for longer than you think you should, and then a fast, tight dex should do the trick. Good luck!

Ken made a good point too: don't make it harder than it is.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson