Double ATW (DATW)

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Which ATW direction is easier???

in to out
58%
out to in
42%

Total votes: 72

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 30 Jul 2010 15:57

FUCK THIS SHIT, I QUIT

I'm not made for double dexing, I swear. I ALWAYS set too high and am never able to properly dex it even one time

still trying, but feeling like a lost cause :x :x :x
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 30 Jul 2010 16:37

Nick, don't give up dude! Double dexes don't come like rain from the sky. They're gonna take A LOT of time. I think I started getting double dexes just around 2 years of seriously freestyling. Don't give up! Just keep working towards them and if you fail one day, try again the next day, and if you fail that time, then KEEP FUCKING TRYING. Don't let them stress you out this much man. I saw your attempts at double dexes, they're in the oven, just not completely cooked yet. The timer will ding soon, and when it does, you have to pm me that the double dex pie is ready to eat. The most delicious pies are the ones that take a little while to cook.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 31 Jul 2010 11:28

thanks ska :)

Last night I ended up consistently DEXING around the bag twice but didn't plant any. I'm trying to ride my DATWs upwards now because I figured out that I wasn't doing that AT ALL to begin with and that's why I could never get the first dex in and the bag just flew up

Mainly just focussing on DATWs now because I've realized my ATW and pickups are not "made" for doubles, they're actually kind of weird now that I think about it... my pickups are more like a reverse rake visually than a straight up dex. so I'm trying to change that
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 16 Aug 2010 14:07

Dude I had SO much trouble with double dexes. You know what worked for me? Using the pop bottle tip that PoisonTaffy gave.

I took a cardboard tube about a couple inches wide and a foot and a half high. A pop bottle would probably work too. Anyway, I just stood on one leg and dexed the bottle continuously, switching sides every once in a while. I did DATW motion, swirl/rev swirl motions and paradon motions, where I bailed to a clipper position.

This helped me learn double dexes on both sides really fast - I personally think that training without the bag is the best way to start :) as for DATW vs whirr, I think that learning one will definitely help the other. You use the same adductors in your upper leg for both tricks.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 16 Aug 2010 14:35

DATW tips:
Tiny hop with your support leg sometimes helps people.
Set super straight.
Don't think fast. Think control.
Muscle memory is everything.
I haven't tried the bottle trick but since muscle memory is everything I would guess it should work. A big bottle (2 liters) would probably be best.

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 16 Aug 2010 16:44

practice regular atw over and over and over again; consecutive in, consecutive out, consecutive alternating, both sides. i guarantee if you do this and keep everybody else's advice in mind, you'll be able to whip out datw in front of your friends and shake it all around in their faces...but you have to work for it.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 16 Aug 2010 19:22

I merged this with the other DATW thread since the discussion is mostly about that, and since it seems like there's a consensus that DATW is the first double dex to learn.

Pasquar, after you get it (and you will get it if you stick with it) search for some of the other threads on barrage, double downs, etc...

Bwenlo
Circle Kicker

Post by Bwenlo » 19 Aug 2010 06:33

If you r a freestyle footballer, you would found that outside DATW is easier than inside one, so i think outside is more easier.
BTW, DATW has a alias (LATW) in Freestyle Football.
Never Say Die!