Fairy/Shut

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

dazza
Flower Child

Fairy/Shut

Post by dazza » 01 Dec 2004 18:50

Fairy
TOE > SAME OUT [DEX] >>
http://hood.012webpages.com/_videos/Fairy.wmv

Hi gang !

Pixie set moves are great, as we all know,
but what about fairy moves, they dont seem
to share their cousins popularity...

At least i dont know any one personally who
uses this set, that i could ask for advice.

I think fairy moves are bad ass and they
definitly would spice up my game, so if
one of you had tips to share, holy crap,
i'd be delighted :D

Actually i kinda promised my mom a clean
fairy smasher for xmas, so i really need your
HEEELP !...

thanking you in advance,
d-man
EASYKINKI

dazza
Flower Child

Post by dazza » 06 Dec 2004 16:29

gawd...i cant believe it...no one seems to care
about fairies...29 views, no reply...

aint nobody able to do fairy sets or is it more
fun to answer clipper and legover questions ?
EASYKINKI

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 06 Dec 2004 16:37

Hey Daryl, I can't do fairy sets either and am hoping for others to post some help, but everytime I see someone do a fairy set, it doesn't look like a fairy would. They would set it but their leg would be leaning towards their body (below the knee). It seems as if the bag would clear the leg easier that way. Do you understand what I'm talking about? I'll try to to see if I can get a picture up of someone setting up for a fairy move. I too hope that more people will give advice on fairy sets. Good luck.
Kaushik Amancherla

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 06 Dec 2004 16:52

This is a really weird set to conceptualize. A lot of people do them really, really different. Some do it sort of like a reverse whirl, some do it really hippy, some do it like a weird reverse pixie... I myself do the last option and have very little advice. However, I'm finally starting to conceptualize it on my flipside (strongside just happened one day) so I can start schooling it. What's helping most is after the set pointing my toe down and cranking my hip inward. It seems the slower you do this motion the cleaner and easier the set. I'm by no means a fairy master, so don't take anything I say as gospel.

KronoKicker
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by KronoKicker » 06 Dec 2004 17:31

I've only just learned how to do fairy sets, i thought i'd never be able to do them. What helped me is definitely it just working fairys and neo set, which is inside set fairy. I hit neo sets and then a couple weeks later i started hitting fairy. If you still have the walls on your lavers, you really need to have the bag close to your big toe, if the bag gets caught on the wall of the laver the set is harder than hell. Just grab a bunch of bags and just keep trying it till you get it.
Aric McIntosh

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 06 Dec 2004 21:05

ok, I have found that a few different techniques work for fairies.

Here are my thoughts...

1) The "SS Atomic" Style
Many people do their fairies like a same side atomic set. You set straight up from your toe with your toe right under you. I have my toes pulled up with my heel back to keep the set coming up under me. With the bag rising you do a mostly hippy out to in dex aiming for the bag to pass behind the knee like a good deep hippy atomic.

2) Twisty Leg Style
Same foot position, bag under you, pull up and twist the toe down while pitching the heel up. At the same time twist your hips towards the bag and arc your knee over the bag as it shoots up through the hole.

*warning* #2 is much more condusive to being done the. So watch your style on it.

If you try fairies and they don't work right away and you give up then you'll never get them. They are just a different pixie.. right? Give it a few hundred tries and you'll surely figure out some way that your body likes to do a fairy set.

The way I practice them to get them in strings is do repeating fairy sets alternating feet for as long as I can over and over.

Oh well, they are still a work in progress for me too guys.

Good luck!
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 07 Dec 2004 01:49

Here are some tips I've got over the years - I don't really do fairy sets but this is the way I think they should be done the best.

Set the bag straight up. Bring your knee outwards as you set the bag - so the bag is kind of between your legs. As soon as it leaves your foot push your knee inwards - keeping your shin fairly straight. This will mean you dex the bag with nice height around your foot and the set will go straight up.

Basically you do it exactly the same as a pixie set except in the other direction - it should even feel very similar if you are doing it well.

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 29 Dec 2004 20:50

I can't do fairies well either but justin dale gave me a couple tips on doing fairies at sjff this year. I hope i don't slaughter his advice.

a lot of people tend to kind of torque their ankles to the side during fairies. this is a no no and a major cause of fairies shooting up at your side instead of infront of you. keep your ankle locked and not angled to either side. he basically said if you do this, you can just throw it up and their is a nice window made by your knee moving in front of your body.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

dazza
Flower Child

Post by dazza » 14 Jan 2005 12:21

First of all, thanks for all these tips, guys !
Today i tried fairy sets a bit during break at work and i just couldnt
get it right.
After the set, the bag isnt between my legs, ie in front of me, but a
little too far on the side of the setting foot/leg, in my case a little too
much on the left, to link any dex to it.
Jeremy's and Tom's tips surely guarded me in the right direction, but
maby you shredders outthere have some moere pointers for me, so
that i can correct that specific mistake.
Thanks again :D
daryl
EASYKINKI

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 30 Jan 2005 18:27

i've landed faery beater a few times, and a faery smasher once. i think i do mine more like the hippy way. i really crank my leg/hip when i do them, cause if i try to do it different ways my knee makes an odd popping noise haha. thats how i fashioned mine

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 31 Mar 2005 04:13

Sporatical_Distractions wrote:a lot of people tend to kind of torque their ankles to the side during fairies. this is a no no and a major cause of fairies shooting up at your side instead of infront of you. keep your ankle locked and not angled to either side. he basically said if you do this, you can just throw it up and their is a nice window made by your knee moving in front of your body.
Read that again, he says lock your ankle and dont let it tilt as u set, this is how u get it to not go to the side :wink:

andrew
Hack Fiend

Post by andrew » 04 Apr 2005 02:31

faries was one of my first tricks i prefer them to pixies. just like i prefer pickups and illusions. but im wierd so meh
andrew milligan

Chim-Chim
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Chim-Chim » 05 Jul 2005 07:50

What is a faerie smasher? Is it a faerie op mirage...?

I know everyone does faerie sets a little different, but I find a slight push off the support leg (not enough to leave the ground) helps your set height.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Jul 2005 07:57

I think Fairy Smasher is the same as fear - ie. fairy op mirage. I have no idea why you'd want to call it anything different though :P

Jake - Welcome to the forum!! :D

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 08:31

ObArA'BaRs
Circle Kicker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:54 pm Post subject: Fairy sets? Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
When ever i atempt to do a fairy set my footbag keeps hiting my shin on the way up or it flies to the right of my body when i try to keep it in front of me.
freestyler4life
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
http://footbag.modevia.com/footbag/view ... 95d159fa86, dont know if you saw this so i'm just thrwoing it out there
ObArA'BaRs
Circle Kicker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:44 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
thanks for the help i just tried to execute a fairy set and i did the same thing mosher told me to do and i landed the cleanest fairy set ive ever done in my life. Thanks again

Keep footbag'n till yo skins saggin

beenjammin
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

fairies

Post by beenjammin » 07 May 2006 08:05

hey guys, its been a while since any posts here, i hope im not supposed to not be posting here any more. Did that make sense? anyway, i suck at pixies very badly but i have always had a very strong fairy set. I found that the best way is to kinda hold the toe stall just a little bit longer than normal just to make sure it is where it needs to be, which is directly under you so it will go strait up and down. Next make sure you are standing erect strait up and down (bags learn by example you know). At this point i am focusing directly at my knee and this is important because the bag will follow your head and shoulders. visualize from the ground right beneath the bag a vertical line that passes right under the knee. Slowly bring the bag up along the vertical line, being careful not to rush it. As soon as it leaves your toe just move your thigh inward exposing the vertical line the bag will be traveling and it will go through. When i do fairies too fast or forceful my knee will pop and it hurts so be very careful. It is more about finess than speed. technique and visualization is key. There is no footbag. This is an easy set to get over your head with the right technique, it should be slow and smooth. Good luck!
"Every cereal is my favorite cereal"
Ben Rinowski

bluntobj3ct
BSOS Beast

Post by bluntobj3ct » 15 May 2006 01:22

my god

that made me shudder to hear you write that ben!

i could have explained my fairies teh EXACT same way... a slower toe set with a straight line that opens up when u tilt your knee inward and down anfter the set...

and my knee would pop sometimes when id hit fairy diving osis and any other kind of high fairy sets-

SO>>>>

i dont do fairies anymore, because my knee is SHOT from the poppage. it feels kinda good and kinda bad when it pops... so ur not sure. let me tell you STOP doing them that way and PLEASE go for the ss atomic way. i can barely walk on the thing as of today, i really did a bad fairy about 3 days ago and it ended my session instantly.

this trick is a TRAP if not practiced extremely carefully and meticulously.

make EXTRA sure you have a solid, non-stressful way to pull it off if
you're going to be hitting shit out of it. i killed mine already and i actaully am pretty scared ill never do them again, when it had been my FAVORITE set because of how sweet and unique it is. fairy pdx whirl and fairy diving dyno among my favorites ;) it makes me sad writing about it :(
SAM MCAULAY
BLOG
ImageImage

SirSerje
Hack Fiend

Fairy Set

Post by SirSerje » 22 Mar 2009 09:00

Hello all :D
Can you tell me instruction of fairy set step-by-step (i saw Anz Tricks, but still dont understand techique) and are there some tricks, which can helps to learn this set?

Mod edit: Remember to please check the top post in this forum before creating a new thread. There was already a thread on fairy sets here. -Erik

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 25 Mar 2009 14:30

I first started learning how to do them because my ATW was out > in. I'd say work on out > in atw's, and then slowly start to speed up your leg going around the bag. But also remember, separate the stall and dex like you would with pixies.

Hope this helped some....
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 01 Apr 2009 17:41

Whistle or hum the tune to Soljah Boyz "Superman" or whatever the fuck its called.....now whenever he says "crank dat solja boy" you crank your knee in while toe setting and do an atomic style fairy....this allowed be to Bsos fairy beater (superman obviously) for the first time.

YOOOOUUUU!
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog