Illusion

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 06:46

Emo
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:00 am Post subject: Illusion Question Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
SET > OP OUT [DEX] > OP TOE [DEL]

Now in the trick tutorial, it says "circle footbag in the 'out to in' motion"...

Is that clockwise or counterclockwise (haha)?
footjoe
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Its counter clockwise
HenryG
^^^^^pwn3d

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
it depends on which leg you do it with.

Out to in means that you start from the outside of your body, and dex towards your nuts.

Look -- now my signature doesn't make the forum hard to read. Thanks Mike!
Emo
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Ok, i'm thinking i'm getting it... Razz
freestyler4life
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
do it like a legover only land it on the same foot you set it with

or think of it like a reverse mirage
Jeremy
Iraq Disarmed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
If you stall the bag on your left foot you go around the bag with your right foot counter clockwise and then stall on your left foot again.

O'Wheelj's notation wins again Wink

"you're signature really irks me. It only proves the self-righteousness that I know has always existed in you." - Dan Feary

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 07:41

WiGeek
Multidex Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:43 am Post subject: Is this still an illusion? Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Inside Del (Set) > Op Out Dex > Op Toe Del?

Also, how can you tell in/out? I say out because my op foot (left) goes left, over the bag, right, then down? That's right, right? Razz
Tripp
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
That's an Illusion just set from in Inside Delay, that's all.

And yeah, you got it. It's an out dex if your leg travels from the outside of your body to the inside, you know like an out to in motion. Except in the case of Whirls, but you'll learn that later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WiGeek
Multidex Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
So would I just say a Inside Set Illusion?
Senor Grommet
Post Master General

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
yep
From Shredder to Master Stitcher to Sensei, Senor Grommet does it all . . . while maintaining his super-sized ego. Many have asked Grommet, "How DO you do it?" Truthfully, I answer, "I don't know. I guess I'm just really talented."
Blackend
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Try an outside set illusion. I've hit outside set mirage, but not illusion, so you try it.

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one!" - Homer Simpson

Bander87
Egyptian Footgod

How do you do illusions?

Post by Bander87 » 03 Mar 2006 12:31

I started fooling around with atomic sets, and I figured out if I do illusions this way, it makes it a lot easier - twisting your body and such rather than moving your leg. I noticed that funk does them more downtime, which is probably easy for him (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong).

Are these two ways of doing illusions just part of your style or should one practice both for future tricks?

Uranos
Flower Child

Post by Uranos » 03 Mar 2006 17:20

Doing an illusion like an atomic style won't be good if you want ot learn tricks like eggbeater or double downs, but as a way of learning atomic set then im not too sure. But certainly if you wanna be able to do eggbeaters or hard illusioning tricks you probably need to learn it the leggy way. Also for stuff like blizard smudge etc..
Alex Urano

ptaku
Egyptian Footgod

Post by ptaku » 06 Mar 2006 05:37

I do leggy Illusions. It's much better for downtime Illusion concepts like Grifter, Flux, Eggbeater - I like all of them.

The best way is to do leggy dex with the bag somewhere near the middle of the calf.
Pawel Ptaszynski

"I know I can! Be what I wanna be.
If I work hard at it, I'll be where I wanna be."

NAS

Be strong, LIVESTRONG

http://www.laf.org
http://www.wearyellow.com

Bander87
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Bander87 » 06 Mar 2006 17:48

Thanks guys for the input.

I suck at leggyness :)

funklovesfootbag
Womanizer

Post by funklovesfootbag » 13 Mar 2006 00:53

LEGGY! hippy illusions are ugly looking.

I noticed that funk does them more downtime, which is probably easy for him (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong).
I do em downtime, unless it's for an eggbeater or whatever and then it's supposed to be more at the peak.
Last edited by funklovesfootbag on 13 Mar 2006 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Fletcher Funk...

*Retired From Stitching*
(and basically freestyle.)

Lackey82
Fearless

Post by Lackey82 » 13 Mar 2006 06:05

The uptime way is a good way to think of atomic sets, if you can go to op toe then why not mirage it and smash some atoms?
I learned my atomic (still good side only tho) by doing uptime legovers, and can sometimes duck them if I'm lucky. However, for illusions, to progress to higher-level tricks downtime is essential.
I think of it more like a reverse mirage, set, plant, execute.
Joshua Lackey
"Class is what I do during my Footbag breaks"
Challenge me! Toronto/FAT Footblog

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 13 Mar 2006 15:18

turn the hip of the dexing leg toward the bag while dexing with the calf - this helps with a softer landing which leads to a more controlled stall.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 18 Mar 2006 20:42

Get your lower leg almost horizontal while dexing, you can dex clean and deep up on your calf and it will be a phat illusion.

sniikeri
Lauri Jii

Post by sniikeri » 19 Mar 2006 05:02

My first Illusions were peaktime; I jumped with the dexing leg at the same time when I did the set.
Then when I showed it public for the first time I got "some feedback" and learned to do them downtime. *Thanks to the feedback ;)*
Lauri Jaakkola

Paul Agostinelli
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Paul Agostinelli » 19 Mar 2006 11:17

funk, hippy illusions are not ugly, they are way styley, even downtime, watch lon smith do illusions, anytime, but in particular the evan lovely sjff video from last year, lon does a lot of long toe shuffle strings and a bunch of illusions

~NEL~
Precisely Mos Eisley

Guest_2
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Guest_2 » 25 Mar 2006 11:30

Does pdx illusion get the pdx add?

I feel a double hip pivot with far pickup

but not one with pdx illusion....

irony?

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 25 Mar 2006 12:44

Moved (merged) from Shred Symposium to Trick Tips thread.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 09 Jun 2006 06:57

I've been trying a lot of illusions recently, where should the toes be pointed when dexing? and any tips for increasing the dex speed? I just can't seem to hit pixie ss illusion

thx in advance :D

krumpage
Hack Fiend

Post by krumpage » 12 Jun 2006 19:21

this is what helped me alot since i also did "the" sometimes so what i did was i took a couple minutes and just practiced the dexing part with out trying to stall at all. Kick up the bag, out to in, let it drop. you circle the bag like you were doing a kick but you go over than you drop your leg down. ugh i suk at explaining but at least i tried

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 12 Jun 2006 21:28

with pix, keep your toes pointed as soon as you let go of the bag and keep knee high, and with illusion, make it as quick as you can, with toes still pointed out.

i guess the only real advice is to keep your dexes tight, speed isnt really super necessary.

Wumbo
BSOS Beast

further help

Post by Wumbo » 20 Jun 2006 02:38

ive hit all 2adds (at least once) but this trick is messing me up.
ive sometimes hit it uptime, but thats not the way i wanna learn. peaktime/downtime illusion seems so impossible to me cause im always hitting the bag or finishing the dex too late so the bag gets on the ground. im also confused about the setting, should it be straight, slightly to the left or to the right if u set with left foot? and where do you turn ur hips to? is it the same direction as for an inside stall (turning hip to the right for a right foot stall)?

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 20 Jun 2006 05:45

it depends on how you want your illusion.

i like mine hippy, with a low dex (uptime). thats the only one i can give help on...

id set about waist high (straight up, center of body), and dex with leg legover style (high, horizontal dex).

make sure you get your leg around the bag so its not the, and the faster the better... so you can start doing eggbeaters later.. (fav trick!)

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 22 Jan 2007 15:42

When I first started doing illusions this past summer they were totally "the" which was unbeknownst to me until I went to the US Open and a few people pointed it out (thanks Kyle, Justin and others)

I refined them to where I can hit them clean, both sides. I can hit consecutives on each side too and hit some basic drills like illusion > pickup > rpt. I can even hit eggbeater on one side now.

However, I feel like they are still uptimey. I still need to start my "hop" as the bag is leaving my foot. I want to get them truly downtime so I can hit eggbeater easier, and hit tricks like smudge and blizzard. When I do try to do them downtime I always kick the bag, I can't get the dex.

Any tips for working them to the point where they are truly downtime (and clean of course)? Thank you.