Pixie/Open

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 04 Aug 2007 17:50

ummm... what sort of multi dex tricks are you trying?
Also what single dex tricks do you like doing? How good are you at single dex tricks?

please tell us more about what sort of moves are bothering you and we will be able to give some better tips :)

shred_4_jesus
Hack Fiend

Pixie, Fairy

Post by shred_4_jesus » 09 Aug 2007 04:33

AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I need major help. I don't have anyone to kick with so many tips, would be greatly appreciated on how to do the pixie and fairy sets. any uptime components really.
Darin Thompson

"I am the way the truth and the life..."
--- Jesus

shred_4_jesus
Hack Fiend

Post by shred_4_jesus » 09 Aug 2007 04:35

I really need help on like my pixie and Fairy sets. and stuff. It's feels weird and I keep just flinging the bag way away. looks nothing like it should.
Darin Thompson

"I am the way the truth and the life..."
--- Jesus

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 09 Aug 2007 13:04

Take with a few grains of salt, I'm hardly an expert, and can only comment on pixie set since I have no fairy set:

How are your pixies & in>out atws? Really consistent, with a deep dex? If not, I'd work on these first. Naturally, you're dexing is going to get more consistent, quicker, and more efficient if you school basic dexes until you can do them on command.

So once that step is out of the way, I'd suggest concentrating on setting, then dexing, instead of trying to do it all in one continuous motion. In other words, make sure the bag is off your foot before beginning the dex, instead of pushing the bag off your foot when you start the dex.

Push off with your support leg when you're setting.

I'd also say that a person can have good form, or pretty good form, but still not get the dex uptime/ have enough downtime to feel comfortable going for a downtime component. If this is the case, you're on the right track, you just need to keep practicing the motion until its more fluid & feels less awkward. And then focus on giving a little push with your support leg, and you'll have the consistence & height that you need.

Playing with people definitely helps, too.

How are your downtime components?

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 09 Aug 2007 22:56

_Pixie_

_Fairy_

Please read THIS thread before making any new posts in the Trick Tips section. :-)
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

axelmagic
Hack Fiend

Pixie Help

Post by axelmagic » 13 Sep 2007 12:41

Ok well I know this is akward but pixie is the first trick im learning it is the one that came easiets to me but I have just tried to learn it a few days ago and have been proggesing but when i flick it off my to to do the dex it is not the high it is only about a foot off the ground is that bad should i make it go Higher

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 13 Sep 2007 14:29

Try pointing your foot a little towards the outside of your body and just keep practicing. Like every move, it just takes time. :wink:

EDIT: Wait, pixie or pixie set?
James Randall

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Re: Pixie Help

Post by Jeremy » 13 Sep 2007 18:45

axelmagic wrote:Ok well I know this is akward but pixie is the first trick im learning it is the one that came easiets to me but I have just tried to learn it a few days ago and have been proggesing but when i flick it off my to to do the dex it is not the high it is only about a foot off the ground is that bad should i make it go Higher
I have a few tips;

1. Stay in school, and practice your English skills. The aim of language is communication, and the better you are at communicating the easier it is for people to help you.

2. I'm presuming you're talking about a normal pixie; toe>same in>op toe because you say this your first trick. It is bad if you can only set the bag a foot high. I would work on not doing the dex at all, and practising alternating toe stalls; left foot to right foot to left foot etc. Aim to have the bag at about waist height every time and going straight up and down.

3. You talk about "flicking" the bag up. Instead of flicking it up off your foot, keep your toes pulled up so that you maintain a flat surface on your toe and lift your knee up while keeping your shin perpendicular to the ground. This should result in better height from the set and more control.

Good luck :)

Guydro
Multidex Master

Post by Guydro » 17 Jul 2008 09:08

I don't know what my promblems is. I thinks the bag keeps getting stuck in my toe walls. Should I cut them out? I try to set the bag then do the Pixie. But the bag keeps fly out. I need to learn Pixie sets. I have a uptime legover. But that is it. I really want to start hitting some new uptime stuff. But it is just not coming to me. This sucks.....
My girlfriend thinks I'm a dork.............:lol:
But she loves me anyways.
richardabshire wrote: There is only a handful of people on this planet that actually shred. The rest are only spectators.

"Guydro F. Hydro"
Guy Herndon

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 17 Jul 2008 10:09

Yeah unfortunately pixie's one of those "drill it til it clicks" concepts. I struggled for a long time with that one and then one day I could just do them with no effort.

It's basically like doing a toe set, but midway through the set you throw your calf over it as it comes up. It's just practice and watch people do it in videos in slow-mo.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 17 Jul 2008 10:10

Your toe walls aren't the problem. If you're doing sets correctly, the bag should not spin when it's set nor should it roll on your foot. Make sure you set the bag before dexing it.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

dan the man
Shredaholic

Post by dan the man » 17 Jul 2008 11:14

i heard that you should keep you walls on until you can drill the pixie, or else i heard otherwise, which is true?

My strongside pixie is godly, i can do it midstring sometimes accidently, but my flipside is like 25%. Sometimes it'll click and i'll do the right thing (and can never repeat that), but most of the time, it'll get caught in my calf. I know what i'm doing wrong there, bag is too far when setting, but then sometimes i'll hit me in the stomach..

Why does it hit me in the stomach, when it does it feels like i did it right but i'm setting weird still...

any help?
Dan is the Man

challenge me!

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 17 Jul 2008 13:20

Toe walls don't matter one way or the other. The only reason they're even there is to just create a bigger catching surface. They also help during your first month for gaining confidence catching legovers, mirages, etc. Once you reach a certain level, the bag will rarely even touch the sides of the walls. Although some people believe keeping them on helps you learn to not do pixies the wrong way. I don't agree with that, I think you know you're doing it wrong regardless if it catches in the wall or flies off the side.

You can cut em off or keep em, it's an aesthetic preference. I like to keep mine on cuz I love the way lavers look, they just have a really classic look about them.

You sound like you're doing it right, you just need to keep drilling it. It just kinda happens one day. I don't know what else to say, but that's the way it works. One thing I do try to focus on is keeping my foot as straight as possible during the first part of the set. Like don't let it flounder around on the way up before the dex.

dan the man
Shredaholic

Post by dan the man » 17 Jul 2008 14:45

haha, today i was hitting smears, smudges and PLOs midstring, only strongside though

well, i already took off my walls so at least it doesn't matter. i took them off because people (non-footbaggers) were like dude ur shoes are cheap!!

i kinda know what you mean now, about just getting it all of a sudden. i think it's also building up the muscles and balance in the support leg too. i am going to practice my atws alot for the next little bit to see if that helps.

i find it really hard to "air" bag a pixie, for form purposes.
Dan is the Man

challenge me!

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 17 Jul 2008 14:52

If it's hitting you in the stomach, it seems like you are trying too hard. Set easy. If you're doing it right it shouldn't require much effort.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

dan the man
Shredaholic

Post by dan the man » 17 Jul 2008 17:58

I KNEW IT!

i had this little voice inside my head that was telling me that the harder i tried the bigger mistake i made. my strongside pixie is so gentle and at times lazy. so ya, i'm going to try to relax my pixie sets from now on BS.
Dan is the Man

challenge me!

capuchino man
Circle Kicker

Post by capuchino man » 17 Jul 2008 20:16

i actually got pixie on like my third try. (not meaning to brag)
Im a Footbagholic

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 17 Jul 2008 21:37

capuchino man wrote:i actually got pixie on like my third try. (not meaning to brag)
Uh oh...Look out Vasek!

dan the man
Shredaholic

Post by dan the man » 18 Jul 2008 10:30

i got my pixie on like my third try too, after it was properly shown to me. but did you get your flipside pixie in like 3 tries?
Dan is the Man

challenge me!

Benjaminzors
Hack Fiend

Post by Benjaminzors » 18 Jul 2008 16:49

I hit pixie set flipside before strongside oddly enough. I was struggling with it, and it just randomly worked because I wasn't trying as hard.