Double Spinning

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

footjoe
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Double Spinning

Post by footjoe » 27 Jan 2005 18:53

Double Spinning
CLIP > BACKSPIN [BOD] > BACKSPIN [BOD] >>

Me and zach are racing to double spinning clipper and i was wondering if any one had any tips on doing double spins.

Thanks a bunch
15 year old Joe Kulacz

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 27 Jan 2005 21:20

Joe,

Before you start practicing double spins, make sure you are good at spinning clippers and can hit about 30 in a row, that will kinda prove you are ready to move to the next level. :wink:

Set the bag hight right when you start spinning and make sure that you spin fast at the first spin! I consider setting the bag straight and spinning fast in the beginning is the most important thing to do that will help you in the end of the trick which is just a spinning clipper.

Um...I really got nothing more to add. Also, watching Felix, Vasek and Lohn helps alot.
Sergey Pikalov

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 27 Jan 2005 21:24

Spot the bag after the first spin, and then again for the second spin. Its important to do that!

Also, when setting for the spin, in order to keep the bag nice and straight, DONT lift your setting leg! What you do instead is bend down over it alot once you catch the bag on clipper, and really uncoil yourself, and unbend your support knee, which will set the spin perfectly straight.

Watch when vasek does a double spin, how much he hunches over the bag before he sets, and then springs into the spin.

That tip could apply to spins in general, I think. Thats how I do them anyways.
Nicholas Laroche

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 30 Jan 2005 18:16

i was trying to do some double spins the other day. i end up just spinning out. the most consecutive spinning clippers i've done is 5. ill take your guys adive, thanks :)

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 30 Jan 2005 18:40

my problem is the foot work, i cant seem to finish the last... 1/4 of a spin

Uranos
Flower Child

Post by Uranos » 31 Jan 2005 02:21

just watch felix in ffo warmup and see what he does with his footwork

if you dont have the video then heres the link

http://www.kapsi.fi/~jfk/multimedia.php
Alex Urano

Allan

Post by Allan » 01 Feb 2005 16:04

Spins are all about what you do with your arms. It's pure physics. The closer you have your arms to your body, the faster your spin will be. Let your arms loose and it will slow you down.

I generally tend to keep my arms super close to start and let them loose as the spin is finishing so as to slow myself down and re-gain my balance and positioning.

I also, generally, have one arm in front of my body and one behind - alternating depending on the direction of the spin. This creates a 'cork-screw' like effect and has helped me get around fast enough to nab some far-out spins.

All the other advice applies too. Set straight up, spin fast, good foot-work, school the shit out of the basic spins ...

[edit] wanna learn to spin? watch an Ice Skater - or Rodney Mullen :)

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 01 Feb 2005 16:11

How do you guys practice these without getting dizzy... I get dizzy practicing my single spins...
Dustin Rhodes

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 01 Feb 2005 16:36

crazydwarf wrote:How do you guys practice these without getting dizzy... I get dizzy practicing my single spins...
ever watch a balarena? the way they turn there head then spin there body, thats how.

KronoKicker
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by KronoKicker » 01 Feb 2005 16:49

Watch Dan Ednie spin... he actually spins like a dancer. He has very controlled precise spins. He puts one arm up over his head, which gets it out of the way, and helps start the spin. I like to pull my arms in tight when i spin, but im still working on spinning its not where i want it yet.
Aric McIntosh

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 01 Feb 2005 20:11

dizzy, what do you think of the one arm up spin method, like Aric mentioned?
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Uranos
Flower Child

Post by Uranos » 01 Feb 2005 21:00

I shred with Ednie and i see him spin everyday! :lol:

He says the more you get better at spinning the less dizzy you will become because you get used tothe motion.
Alex Urano

zeroman13
Post Master General

Double Spinning Clipper

Post by zeroman13 » 06 Mar 2009 14:01

I found the original thread in the Master Thread, but it wasn't really that helpful. [But now it will be. :-) Threads merged. -Moxie]

Anyone have some good tips for this? I would like to give this trick some serious work.

Everything will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 06 Mar 2009 19:17

I think of this like a spinning inspin. The set is juuuust slightly higher than head height. Any higher and you'll have to look up to spot it, and that will throw off your second spin. You definitely want to spot the bag after the first spin, but it can be a very loose spot at first. But definitely spot it. As mentioned earlier, the second spin feels faster than the first. Keep your arms in tight, and don't give up on the final clipper, even if it feels late. Good luck.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 06 Mar 2009 20:26

I think my biggest problem on flip is that I lean some direction (it's hard to tell which way with all that spinning) which either throws me off spinning away (you want to stay in one spot), or makes it so that my shoulder will clip the bag on the second spin.

Stay in one spot. So kind of pretend like you are standing in the exact middle of a lazy susan. You stay in one spot and spin, as opposed to standing even a TOUCH off, which will make you all wobbly (or like working with a clay spinning wheel -- you can't make an evenly round bowl or whatever if your clay is off-centre).

It's hard to explain the first spot. Sometimes it feels like you just graze a look, like spinning on a merry-go-round so fast that you're gonna vomit (can't focus on anything you're moving so fast); and sometimes it feels like a really fast spin, spot and almost a pause (or a touch of slow-down), and then an even faster spin.

I find it easier to do spinning tricks out of a ducking clipper -- it gives me momentum.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Mar 2009 07:09

Erik Chan wrote: I find it easier to do spinning tricks out of a ducking clipper -- it gives me momentum.
Oh yeah, totally. That's a good tip. I'd say that I've hit 95% of my DSCs out of ducking clippers.

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 08 Mar 2009 21:32

How does the footwork go? DSC only makes sense to me done muted, all the stepping confuses me.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 09 Mar 2009 22:12

For me, the second spin is much faster. Spotting the bag on the first spin is pretty much as Erik described, whereas you want to try to hold the spot after the second spin.

This is how I've come to do my double spinning clippers...

The first spin is almost as though I'm going to be doing a spinning ducking trick; I set, spin and spot the bag as quickly as I can. I plant my setting foot as I'm spotting for the first time, I keep my lead shoulder in spinning position as I'm finishing the first spin, plant again, bring my head around on the second spin, plant once more to get into position as the second spin finishes, then plant for the last time as I catch the bag.

So the footwork is as follows:

1) As you "graze spot" the bag
2) Right after the first plant - this one prepares me for the second spin and is also when my head whips around over my lead shoulder to spot after the second spin.
3) As I'm finishing the second spin, I'll plant again to help get in position for whichever downtime component I'm going to do. This plant should also help to stop spinning. It's easy to over-spin with all that momentum, this plant should help stop that.
4) The last plant is as I fall to delay the bag.

Basically, the footwork sounds like tap-tap tap-tap, where the first and last two plants are close together, with a slight break inbetween where the second spin would be. Balance is a big issue, one I'm still struggling to maintain, as it is really easy to mess up if you don't set the bag straight or if you lean (and therefore spin) to one side.

Hope that helps.
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 09 Mar 2009 22:19

Erik & Byrin,

Thanks. I really like your descriptions. Next time I kick I'll give DSC some more tries and try to incorporate some of what you two said.

Ken,

Your info really helped in person. Thanks.
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 13 Mar 2009 05:34

Wow! I got suprisingly close to this using these tips. Byrins footwork tip really helped, as I'm always messing up the footwork on spinning elements. :)

Thanks guys.
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog