Mirage

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

kdc6794
Circle Kicker

Mirage

Post by kdc6794 » 20 May 2005 08:17

Mirage
SET >> OP IN [DEX] > OP TOE [DEL]
http://www.hackrifice.com/minisooper/2mirage.mpg
http://www.hackrifice.com/minisooper/2mirageclip.mpg

Hey everyone im new to the site and forum, debut post right here!

I am having serioius trouble with my mirage, i can do a legover pretty good, (but only on one leg) and everytime i go for a mirage, i end up doing a pick, i cant plant my dex foot intime for my op foot to catch the bag, any tips would be great, sorry i cant give more info, im nmot sure what else to tell you, i'm just not quick enough.

And also when i go for a figidosis, i land it sometimes, but when i try an osis (which i have done successfully like only 4 or 5 times, not sure how) i set the bag with my hand and when i turn around it always ends up on the ground, i think that i am not setting it far enough out or my leg it too far out, and sometimes i just hit it some part of my leg and it flys acroos the room and dos not shoot uplike its supposed to, like i said again, im not sure what im doing wrong so anytips would be great! thanks alot
.......W..............w
....| (_)............(_).../
.....\_|_..........__|_ /
...o...|...\_..../....|
..__ / \............./ \..o
...........\_.........\_|__
..........................|
Cameron J. Dupre

delakong
BSOS Beast

Post by delakong » 20 May 2005 08:24

Welcome to Modified!!! Love the sig but you gotta put your name there too. I can't help you but I'm never the first person to post after a new kicker joins the boards. I win!!!
Joshua Annis

"Don't Panic..."
"I woke wanting nothing more than a box of Gushers....
DENIED
I shake my first at the sky."-Matt Cross
"Yeah, seriously! When I got back into my cubicle Jazz started throwing dimes at me. What an asshole."-David Wilder

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 20 May 2005 08:40

Welcome.

For mirage I may be able to help:
You say you can do a pickup so just do that motion and then bail at the last minute to op toe. So you set, then in dex with the op foot and then instead of catching it with the same foot, hop off you support fot and at the same time stall with the opisite foot. Hope that helps.

As for OSIS, try to make sure you spot the bag as you turn, so that you see it about to contact you foot.

Other than that just keep trying and BOTH SIDES!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 20 May 2005 08:58

Hey I was giving tips to my brother for mirage today and they worked!!

Basically mirage is very easy and all in the technique. It goes like this:

Set the bag straight up, change feet immediatly - that means as soon as you have set the bag up in the air you should be standing on the foot that set it in the air and have raised the dexing foot. Twist your hips to dex the bag (twisting in then back out) - now here's the important bit. As you start dexing hop onto the other foot. So as your miraging foot dexes it's going down onto the ground and your stalling foot is coming up. Then you just need to do a toe stall.

Remember - the most important part of footbag is practice - so do it. Nobody ever hits new concepts for the first time and hits them perfectly. Learning the basics is definitly the hardest part of footbag too.

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 20 May 2005 09:03

Welcome!
Can I advise that you put your name in ur signature with those awesome dudes? That way people know who they are talking to :D.

Mirage:
Set the bag up. Plant your setting foot as soon as you can! Bring your oposite leg up and bend your knee and tilt it inwards to make kind of a nice triangular window with your leg. Let the bag fall through this triangle as close to the inside of your knee as you can. At the exact moment the bag passes your knee, HOP off your support leg onto the dexing leg(which the bag has just gone past) and try to hold your stalling foot under where the bag is falling. I hope that made sence, its how I teach new comers mirage in real life lol.

Osis:
Before learning osis you need to have good clippers on both sides, try to do 10 consecutive same side clippers on each side and then maybe 10 alternating clippers. When your clippers are really practiced and co-ordinated you should move on to osis:
Set from clipper. plant the setting foot as soon as you can! lift your stalling foot up and line it up beside where the bag is falling. Pivit on our support leg and hold your stalling foot still, it should naturally move into place and catch the bag is you pivit.

Hope that helps man! If it does'nt come back and ask for more help!

SandWraith
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SandWraith » 20 May 2005 20:10

To reiterate what I think are the most important aspects (or at least were for me):

Mirage:
-As soon as you set the bag (into the air), get that foot down. I don't mean normal movements-- you gotta go FAST. Early on, your legs aren't quite as quick as they will be, and you have to put a lot more effort into making fast motions. So as soon as you notice the footbag off your foot, get that leg on the ground so you can do the dex

Osis:
-WATCH THE BAG. I know the problem I had, and the problem my friend had, was not watching the bag. You want to see the bag contacting the inside surface of your shoes before you do the turn. If you don't, you're just about assured of dropping it.

With some practice, I'm sure you will be hitting these tricks in no time. However, there are two common and very useful maxims in footbag that may help you:
-BOTH SIDES!
-PRACTICE SMARTER, NOT HARDER (meaning, if you miss a move, stop a sec and think about what you did wrong and try to change it)

:o
Zach Marine - Member of the Tendonitis Club!
blog

Pro In Training
Hack Fiend

Post by Pro In Training » 23 Jun 2005 08:22

One thing that helped me with the osis was when I dropped it I looked at it until it hit my foot. I then scooped my foot for the delay. I think it's cool that you can get frigid osis. I can't.

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 23 Jun 2005 08:34

Pro In Training wrote:One thing that helped me with the osis was when I dropped it I looked at it until it hit my foot. I then scooped my foot for the delay. I think it's cool that you can get frigid osis. I can't.
This is one way of doing your osis but it is genereally frowned upon because most people think it looks funny and does not allow for a stright set. (This is called scooping your osis).

You might want to try positioning your foot beside the bag while its in midair and then pivoting on your support foot allowing your delaying foot to naturally become flat as you lower it slightly to catch the bag. ;)

andr00
Multidex Master

Post by andr00 » 06 Apr 2006 17:33

i can almost hit this and can if i get a lucky land, but im stuck

after nailing the dex, the bag hits my foot, but bounces off.

how do you get it not to bounce off?

i look like this:

toe set> op dex> toe del

bounces off at toe del though... :evil:
Andrew's f00t(blog)
Last Updated: 5-22-06
zilla wrote: It's like being a jedi and making your own lightsaber

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 06 Apr 2006 18:20

i think the main problem i had with mirages was that it would bounce off of my foot like andr00. You really need to be able to do the dex without looking at it, and just treat the end part like a normal toe stall. If you can do the mirage while pretending that the dexing leg is not there, you just concentrate on positioning your delay foot, and cushion the bag as it hits.
Matt Kemmer

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 06 Apr 2006 18:37

andr00 wrote:i can almost hit this and can if i get a lucky land, but im stuck

after nailing the dex, the bag hits my foot, but bounces off.

how do you get it not to bounce off?

i look like this:

toe set> op dex> toe del

bounces off at toe del though... :evil:
Land and catch at the same time. When you land, cushion a bit with your support leg.
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

andr00
Multidex Master

Post by andr00 » 06 Apr 2006 19:18

i see what you guys are saying. i guess i am having issues with the setting/support foot.

is it supposed to go airborn after op [dex] is complete? like once i finish my dex do i quick plant the dexing leg and then make that my support?
Andrew's f00t(blog)
Last Updated: 5-22-06
zilla wrote: It's like being a jedi and making your own lightsaber

siy
Shredalicious

Post by siy » 08 Apr 2006 12:46

The mirage is VERY easy once you understand what to do with your feet. The following exercise helped me learn this move in one day! Hope it helps you too! 1) WITHOUT A FOOTBAG: stand on one foot with your other foot in the air as if you're holding a toe stall. Now quickly: Pick up the foot you're standing on while planting your other foot and quickly do this again so that you're standing on the original foot. It's just a quick "tap, tap" or "plant, plant" of your alternating feet. Only one foot should be touching the ground at a time. Then, once you understand the rhythm of the plants involved, throw a dexterity in there! Again, stand on one foot with the other in the air. Lift your support leg and throw it around in a circle from in to out while planting the other foot. Then, lift the planted foot as your dexterity is ending and 'viola! You have done a mirage (though, without a footbag)! It should - sound exactly the same as without a dexterity: "tap(dex), tap" or "plant(dex), plant". Only, one foot touching the ground at a time. 2) WITH A FOOTBAG: Do the above exercise with a footbag on your raised foot. You must have complete confidence in your ability to set a footbag STRAIGHT UP, about waist high. But, don't get frightened, at first, about the set or the delay at the end. Just remember the rhythm: "(set)tap(dex), tap" or "(set)plant(dex), plant". Your feet begin and end in the same place so you'll be right back in time to delay the bag. Lastly, lean your upper body a little foward while doing the mirage to keep your balance. Look down at the footbag! You'll nail the mirage once and wonder why you ever had any troubles with it before! Exhilarating! Hang in there!
Josh Yarbrough

"Dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians" :mrgreen:

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Apr 2006 20:15

I don't know if anyone addressed this yet, but there is a little hopt that is required for mirage that you need to get used to. It will also help with all of your other 2 add moves.

I'm not quite sure how to describe it, because I learned this move so long ago that it's second nature, but watch videos of it and try to understand it. It is like a hop off of the setting foot. After the set you jump onto the setting foot to give you time to start the mirage dex earlier... and then a hop, again, with the dexing leg to give you time to stall the bag on the original setting foot.

sniikeri
Lauri Jii

Post by sniikeri » 10 Apr 2006 10:06

Erik Chan wrote:I don't know if anyone addressed this yet, but there is a little hopt that is required for mirage that you need to get used to. It will also help with all of your other 2 add moves.

I'm not quite sure how to describe it, because I learned this move so long ago that it's second nature, but watch videos of it and try to understand it. It is like a hop off of the setting foot. After the set you jump onto the setting foot to give you time to start the mirage dex earlier... and then a hop, again, with the dexing leg to give you time to stall the bag on the original setting foot.
=
keep the heels up from the ground. ;)
Lauri Jaakkola

Vpicone
Shredaholic

I need help with the mirage

Post by Vpicone » 22 Apr 2006 14:59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toS0zhWugW4

The first couple are mirage attempts, the second was a really effed up mirage and clipper thingy the fourth was a mirage attempt and the fith was a clipper hit. Please give me adivice on the mirage.

I used my new lavers and a sandmaster that is also relativly new (about 6 days) but ive been workin with it and i dont think its the problem.
Last edited by Vpicone on 22 Apr 2006 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Vince Picone

Vpicone
Shredaholic

Post by Vpicone » 22 Apr 2006 15:11

Vince Picone

Vpicone
Shredaholic

Sorry, I NEED help with the mirage.

Post by Vpicone » 22 Apr 2006 15:38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toS0zhWugW4

The first couple are mirage attempts, the second was a really effed up mirage and clipper thingy the fourth was a mirage attempt and the fith was a clipper hit. Please give me adivice on the mirage.

I used my new lavers and a sandmaster that is also relativly new (about 6 days) but ive been workin with it and i dont think its the problem.
Vince Picone

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 22 Apr 2006 16:10

well, you're setting it way too high to start with. you only need it to be about waist height. and it looks like you're trying to catch it with your foot on the ground :? . thats no good, once your leg has cleared the bag you need to jump and bring your setting leg into the air. then you basicly need to focus on catching and coushening the bag. hope that helps
Matt Kemmer

Vpicone
Shredaholic

Post by Vpicone » 22 Apr 2006 17:52

I think i must have my legging wrong. I kick it up with the right but then the right leg goes down. Both the legs are down. THen the left leg starts and by the time the left leg hits the ground the hacky sack is already down and i dont have time to get my right leg up. What do u think the problem is?
Vince Picone