Stablilzer Muscle Strengthening

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Stablilzer Muscle Strengthening

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 06 Feb 2007 14:27

Any at home methods of strengthening stabilizer muscles?
and don't say the obvious play more footbag.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

StyleeRiley
Multidex Master

Post by StyleeRiley » 06 Feb 2007 19:57

I don't know what a stabilizer muscle is, but if I did, I would try to help you out. Maybe you could tell me how to do some mustache strengthening exercises?

janis
Post Master General

Re: Stablilzer Muscle Strengthening

Post by janis » 06 Feb 2007 21:03

Sporatical_Distractions wrote:Any at home methods of strengthening stabilizer muscles?
and don't say the obvious play more footbag.
I've got some good ones for ankles if you are interested.

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Re: Stablilzer Muscle Strengthening

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 07 Feb 2007 07:23

janis wrote:I've got some good ones for ankles if you are interested.
definitely. that's wat this thread is all about
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 11 Feb 2007 10:28

I don't know how much of an extent this could help you, but you could try to do one-legged squats. If you have a BOSU ball, do it on that to make it even harder.
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 11 Feb 2007 11:08

Perhaps narrow down the part of the body you are talking about??? (ankles, calves, quads, hams, core ....)

But short answer... lift heavy.
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

beenjammin
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by beenjammin » 19 Feb 2007 19:45

Stand on one foot and hold the other one out in front of you as high as you can for as long as you feel comfortable. Another way is to stand on one foot and slowly swing the other foot from front to back. Shred is really the best thing though 8)
"Every cereal is my favorite cereal"
Ben Rinowski

StyleeRiley
Multidex Master

Post by StyleeRiley » 25 Feb 2007 21:00

Cruising arround on the snow for a day (I don't care how, as long as its not on a sled) definitely works the stabilizer muscles of the legs. My snowshoeing expedition last Monday left my ankles begging for more. I was still feelin' it on our Wednesday shred, but in the long run it makes for better feet. I know it's no home exercise, but it's really effective.

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 25 Feb 2007 22:22

I don't know if this falls under "strengthening", but it helps balance if that's what you're looking for. Close your eyes and grab on ankle like your stretching your quads. So basically you are standing on one foot with your eyes closed. It's harder than it sounds.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Maraxus » 26 Feb 2007 10:29

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, and Military press will all build stabilizer muscles because they work the entire body, taxing more muscle fibers then any other movements.

You don't need to lift heavy at all, just enough to build muscle fibers. For a footbagger, aim for high reps to build endurance. If your goals are size and strength, lower reps and heavier weights are necessary. In addition, remember that if if doesn't hurt (in a good way), your not helping yourself.
bodybuilda

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 26 Feb 2007 12:01

Sorry to pick apart some of this post because the first part is very correct.
Maraxus wrote:You don't need to lift heavy at all, just enough to build muscle fibers.
I don't even understand this sentence. Heavy is a relative term. To build stabilizing muscles going heavy (again a relative term) for you (something in the 4-12) rep range will get the stabilizers going. For larger muscles groups such as your legs working exercises with a barbell is great but for smaller muscles groups doing dumbell exercises are great (again I am talking about when you are trying to target stabilizer muscles - your best bet is to mix up your exercises and hit all muscles groups from a variety of angles with different exercises using free weights (barbell/dumbbell) and cables/machines. I really just don't understand the statement "just enough". Perhaps I just misunderstand.
Maraxus wrote:Remember that if if doesn't hurt (in a good way), your not helping yourself.
This is not correct. Pain, delayed onset muscle pain, ect is a poor indication of how well the exercise worked. Everyone is different and some people will never experience pain while others will experience a lot.
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Maraxus » 01 Mar 2007 23:36

I really just don't understand the statement "just enough"
I apologize for not clarifying. Just enough is a very broad statement, and what I meant by it was a - suitable amount of resistance weight for the given person, in order to enable fast twitch muscle growth. The exercises I have listed were just a few key lifting movements that target more then a single muscle group. Dumbells and modified versions of each of these exercises are just as good depending on a given person's goals, but those goals can only be realistically set by themselves. Like you said, Jon, everyone is different.

This is not correct. Pain, delayed onset muscle pain, ect is a poor indication of how well the exercise worked.
Another bold statement I suppose, I agree with what you are saying but only to the extent of improper form or too much weight straining the body in an unnatural way.
I disagree when the muscle pain relates to strength training in order to enable muscle growth. Pushing yourself beyond what your body is accustomed to is necessary for strengthening muscle bodies and achieving levels of strength and endurance you never had before.
bodybuilda

BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by BuckRuckus » 22 Mar 2007 15:48

I dont know anything about fitness stuff. Do stabilizer muscles help overall balance in any way, or does it all have to do with the inner ear.

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 24 Mar 2007 15:13

Basically it's about using muscles that you don't normally use which contribute to your ability to stay balanced.
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 24 Mar 2007 22:40

Imagine yourself doing a bench press. The active muscles make the bar move up and down, and the stabilizers keep the bar from moving around in the horizontal plane (sideways, ect).

This generalizes to any motion that your body makes. Stabilizer doesn't refer to a specific group of muscles.

Janis, what the hell was that? You tease!
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 17 Apr 2007 18:47

footbag works stabilizer muscles. So does running, or any bodyweight bearing exercise. Theres lots of exercises to do just type it into google.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 18 Apr 2007 21:43

I think having some weight held in each hand while doing two legged leaps over a plastic shipping crate, done horizontally, helps for good balance that you don't ordinarily feel from jogging or footbag. Both feet must leap and land at approximately the same time, I believe.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 09 Jul 2007 20:07

I compiled a set of ankle exercises here:
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=16555