Stretching Instructions For Footbaggers

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Stretching Instructions For Footbaggers

Post by Anz » 05 Aug 2007 06:23

Stretch before and after the excercise!

I promised to make a stretching tip video and here it is. With Antti Virolainen we made this instructional video with stretching maneuvers for both before and after the exercise.

What does the video have:
-Stretches that stimulate the muscles used in footbag
-Different stretches for before and after the excercise
-Video footage from different angles of the stretches
-Still pictures showing where you should feel the stretch
-Verbal advices for maximising the stretch
-Facts about the pros of stretching
-Information about stretching safely
-Examples of warming up

SIFF :: the whole video
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/-12112
-Lenght: 12:58
-Size: 81,4 MB

SIFF-BEFORE :: Stretching before the excercise
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/-12113
-Lenght: 7:40
-Size: 48,5 MB

SIFF-AFTER :: Stretching after the excercise
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/-12114
-Lenght: 5:43
-Size: 35,0 MB

We hope these videos will encourage more players to stretch and help stretching!

Please tell us if you like this video!

MisterGuillotine
Circle Kicker

Post by MisterGuillotine » 05 Aug 2007 08:38

Very clear and helpful.

Thanks!
Rob Johnson

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 05 Aug 2007 09:05

This is great. Thanks guys for putting the effort into making this.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 07 Aug 2007 10:59

this is a very good start, as i know far too many footbag players who don't strech or when i ask them what they are streching when they fold them selves up like a pretzle respond with "i dunno, i saw a guy streching like this one day." There is some good information in this video that with any luck will help keep footbag players safe!
however there are a few things i would like to mention:
in the video you are starting with calves, but you should always start with your largest muscle groups and work towards your smallest muscle groups. By starting with your largest muscle groups, which have a grater number of muscle spindles and golgi tendon organs, we will sitmulate brain-muscle activity quicker.
For legs in proper order:
-Quadriceps (front thighs)
-Gluteus maximus (butt)
-Hamstrings (back thighs)
-Gastrocnemius and Soleus (calf)
-Adductors (inner thigh/ groin)
-Iliopsoas (front of hip/ "upper thigh")
-Glueus Medius and Minimus (outer hip - not in video)
-Tensor Fasciae latae (outer hip - not in video)
after these you can follow with your core body muscle, from largest to smallest: Rectus Abdominis (abs front), erector spinae (back muscles), external and internal abdominal obliques (abs, side)

Alot of the streches were done with poor form, especially those for the hamstrings. there was alot of streching of the back extensors, which is not ncessary during hamstring streches. indeed, keeping you back in prolonged flexion puts excess strain on your vertebral discs, which can lead to damage and backpain. don't be afraid of back flexion though! it is necessary, but it's best to do it at the appropriate time, such as when you are streching your back.
The back strech you demonstrated is considered fairly dangerous, as it puts extreme stess on the back and neck. By supporting your body's weight on your neck you can damage neck ligaments, over strech muscles, and in a worst case scenario, lose balance and break it. there a many much safer wasy to strech your neck that don't have such a high risk of injury.
Your groin side lunges are very good streches, however full knee bends are not recomended. When you knee is in full flexion it is least stable! This maens the greatest chance for injury if you are bumped. in addition, your patella (knee cap) if forced into the cartilage of your knee, which can damage it causing knee pain and later in life can lead to osteoarthritis (the carilage is damaged and bone from under the cartilage pokes up into your joint). Also, there is a chance for lateral dislocation of the patella, especially in women. when fully flexed, the quadriceps are at a poor pulling angle, and pull laterally (from the outside) on the knee cap when trying to extend the leg to get up. worse case, it can completely pull it out of allignment, dislocating it, and tearing your patellar retinacula and other knee ligaments as well as tendons. instead of doing a full knee bend, the same result can be achieved by tilting the hips (to the left or right as needed).
Just for the information of those interested, all the streches done in the video were passive streches, but there are many other ways to strech. passive streching is by far the most common, and if done over time is a great way to improve your long term flexibility!
i'd love to say a few more things but i have to leave right now, so i'll end this post with Good job Anz and Antti! i hope you motivate more players to strech and take care of them selves!
A.G.

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 15 May 2010 20:37

did these videos go somewhere?..........links are dead