cracking bones

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
capuchino man
Circle Kicker

cracking bones

Post by capuchino man » 02 Jul 2008 18:48

everytime i bend my knee on either leg my shin, ankle, or knee cracks. i dont know if this is normal or bad and if anyone else has or had this how did you treat it and should i see a doctor? (just curious)
Im a Footbagholic

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 03 Jul 2008 09:28

I really don't know how to help you, but t might help others if you present a little bit more of your sports background. Has this always been present for you? Has it always been a problem for you, or is footbag just bringing it on? Also, is there any pain that comes with the cracking or does it just seem to be connective tissue "adjusting" or readjusting/repositioning itself? Does it limit your mobility?

When you concentrate on using "proper form," if you even understand how it applies to footbag, does the cracking diminish or go away completely?
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

dan the man
Shredaholic

Post by dan the man » 03 Jul 2008 11:54

i think i know what your talking about, i get that cracking noise in my knees when i just wake up. everytime i bend them theres is a painless cracking, but it usually goes away for me when i get up and walk around... dunno, maybe swimming will help your joints, do you swim?
Dan is the Man

challenge me!

HippieTom
Shredaholic

Post by HippieTom » 03 Jul 2008 12:20

i recently talked to my doctor about painless cracking in my knees and i was told that it could be a result of slightly weak quad muscles and he recommended exercises to build up said muscles, but definately talk to your doctor, taking your chances with your health isnt smart haha
hope this helps
Tom Stouffer

CL: fairy, pixie, consistency, swirls, whirls, and bops(consistency)

capuchino man
Circle Kicker

Post by capuchino man » 03 Jul 2008 13:47

my cracking only happens when i am doing dexes for the 15th time or so or after im done i walk around and my ankle cracks with every step for a while.i dont know how to swim very well but i do when i go to a pool and stuff. about the weak muscles. shouldnt footbag be getting them bigger and stronger?
Im a Footbagholic

HippieTom
Shredaholic

Post by HippieTom » 03 Jul 2008 14:44

certain muscles yes but im not sure about the others, after a period of time i would think so, maybe after a few months more of playing they will go away eh?
Tom Stouffer

CL: fairy, pixie, consistency, swirls, whirls, and bops(consistency)

dan the man
Shredaholic

Post by dan the man » 03 Jul 2008 18:02

kinda reminds me of the cracking that most people get in the hip area everytime they do a stall. it goes away after playin footbag for a while (i am a testament to that), but ya, if you're really worried get doctor's oppinion. i heard that cracking stuff leads to artheritis and that would suck.
Footbag (in my opinion and what i've heard from physiotherapists) isn't a healthy sport in terms of joints, and bones, so don't take any chances.
Dan is the Man

challenge me!

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 03 Jul 2008 20:35

i heard that cracking stuff leads to artheritis and that would suck.
You've been lied to. There's no direct evidence that joint cracking will cause arthritis. Some people say that it's actually good for your tendons, and keep them lubricated, but doing it too much may cause them to weaken due to too much stress.

As for footbag and joints, if you weight lift, it causes the larger supporting muscles to aid the tendons and ligaments so they can take more pressure without taking damage.
shouldnt footbag be getting them [leg muscles] bigger and stronger?
Some, but not all. It'd be a good idea for anyone and everyone that's physically active to weight lift. In fact, it'd be a good idea for everyone with a human body to weight lift. But besides that, footbag is more aerobic than anaerobic, so your legs aren't going to bulge out like the Hulk's from footbag alone.
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge

dan the man
Shredaholic

Post by dan the man » 04 Jul 2008 07:03

Hey, thats sweet, i'm glad i got that cleared up about the cracking joints, my mother used to tell me all the time that if i cracked my bones, i'd get artheritis, thats sweet, because my bones crack mostly on themselves just from like walking or something.
Some, but not all. It'd be a good idea for anyone and everyone that's physically active to weight lift. In fact, it'd be a good idea for everyone with a human body to weight lift. But besides that, footbag is more aerobic than anaerobic, so your legs aren't going to bulge out like the Hulk's from footbag alone.
i totally hate lifting weights, but do you think that swimming is good enough for the muscle-building part, because it feels both aerobic and anaerobic (whatever that means).
Dan is the Man

challenge me!

capuchino man
Circle Kicker

Post by capuchino man » 05 Jul 2008 14:51

i got a little worried so at the end of the week i take a 2 day break for as long as i have to. is that too much or perfect?
Im a Footbagholic

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 08 Jul 2008 13:37

If it's painless cracking you shouldn't be too worried. If there is pain, discomfort, or a snapping/pulling sensation, then you should give footbag a rest for a couple days at least.

I'm not a doctor though, so obviously the best thing would be to call or see someone who is.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

Dave Soderberg
Hack Fiend

Post by Dave Soderberg » 16 Oct 2009 17:29

I'm having problems with my ankle right now. it has been cracking like this since I sprained it a couple years ago. When I'm done playing it hurts. Especially when I'm working on clipper and butterfly. I'm hoping that if I keep working it the muscles will get stronger and stop hurting after play. I don't have insurance so I can't afford to go to the doctor.

renke
Hack Fiend

Post by renke » 18 Oct 2009 00:45

I'm not a doctor either, although I can give you my thoughts on this matter.

I don't think this is a physiological situation, your complaints started after spraining your ankle. To me it seems like the cartilage is damaged, in worst case, a little piece of bone got torn off and is now swimming around in your ankle joint.
The problem, most likely, is damaged cartilage.
Therapy: neither immobilise, nor loaden your ankle too much.
Pain is a signal something isn't right, don't ignore this.
Strengthen your muscles by simple exercises, yet please be careful with movements that give you pain.. Cartilage is given to you once, it doesn't have the ability to repair itself.
Renke ~ shredita

hrdcorethndr1
Shredaholic

Post by hrdcorethndr1 » 22 Dec 2009 08:16

i get pain in my knees sometimes, and they crack every now and again when i turn while walking, however they don't crack when i play and recently i have had little or no pain due to the fact that i have been stretching more. I also have been to the gym in the past week, and i have to say that i feel that it has helped with any previous pain i used to have in my knees, and in the long run it will help in my game. I suggest it. :D but im just a punk-ass, no md here 8)
Zachary Morgan

austin
Circle Kicker

I have also same problem

Post by austin » 23 Oct 2010 21:55

I have also same problem. Then I went to a doctor and he regular checked me.Besides the medicine , He suggest me to walk at least 30 min in the morning. After maintaining such routine in 6 months , I am now more or less well and can't hear the crack of knee.

renke
Hack Fiend

Post by renke » 06 Jan 2011 08:35

I don't think anyone here can give you a diagnosis, though I can give you minimal information.
The knee is made up of several body parts like bone, cartilage, ligaments, and tendons. An X-ray only shows bone.
It might also be possible the cause does not lie in your knee, but adjacent structures or other body parts, for example the hip, can cause knee pain as well.
See a physiotherapist or maybe another doctor?
Renke ~ shredita