Weed and footbag

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 23 Feb 2012 15:40

You obviously took that the wrong way, seeing as it was a simple as speaking the truth to respond. Never once did I say I was judging Australia based off that link, just thought that was bit funny. You make assumptions like a mofo dude. Your "lung cancer theory" is based off of pharmacuetical companies who DO NOT WANT WEED TO BE LEGALIZED. If weed were to become legal , they would take a Major loss in profit. MAJOR. You go ahead on believeing whatever people tell you and only taking in one side to account for. Sucks to know that some judgmental ass people play this sport as well.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 23 Feb 2012 15:48

Watch "The Union", but you probably won't. But I'm done arguing with you seeing as there is NO WAY you can convince me otherwise. Just thought I'd try and help spill some truth on ya, but some people are too stubborn to see what is clearly in front of them.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 23 Feb 2012 15:57

I am goning to apologize for being a dick.
Agree to disagree.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 23 Feb 2012 17:04

I will agree to disagree, and I will continue to post independent peer reviewed scientific research that demonstrates a link between marijuana and cancer, regardless of whether you think it is a pharmaceutical conspiracy or not.

There's also now ample evidence that THC is linked to increased rates of mental illness that cannot be explained by family history, or random chance. Obviously this applies no matter how you consume the drug.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lance ... 3/fulltext

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/193/5/357.short

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2424288/

etc.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 23 Feb 2012 17:05

I am not anti-marijuana, as reading this topic obviously indicates. Rather I am anti-people consuming substances without knowing the risks.

j_norton
Circle Kicker

Post by j_norton » 24 Feb 2012 19:26

Code: Select all

Obviously this applies no matter how you consume the drug.
I don't see how it's so obvious that consuming THC in various forms would lead to the same results when none of your peer-reviewed, scientific research suggests that the link is independent of the method of consumption.

And for the record playing footbag is 10X more fun when you consume THC, independent of the method of consumption, so you can run and tell that to your science journals (though I bet they already know just like everyone else, did you grow up on mars dude?)

Going back and reading the first post of this thread, I am so surprised to see this on this forum. I've lurked for a long time and never joined, so this just sparked me enough to get on here and give my opinion. I just can't believe how ignorant some people are. Like smoking an unfiltered joint is worse than smoking a cigarette. It's just ridiculous to think that the tar content is the ONLY thing you are inhaling when you do either of those activities. The THC is a medicine (not to mention a spiritual medicine, get lifted ya'll), and the chemicals in cigarettes are just chemical additives of which there are literally hundreds.

There's a lot of disinformation against marijuana in this thread anyway, and it pissed me off. But I do plan to be active around the site, I read here all the time.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 May 2012 15:42

Sorry for a late reply. All three of those studies looked at overall cannabis use, and were not restricted to particular methods of absorption. They found the strongest predictor of the likelihood of a person suffering mental illness was how much cannabis they consumed for how long (the more you consume for the longer period, the more likely you are to suffer mental illnesses).

Further to that, at least one of those studies (this one, which is available in full text) attempted to explain why this would be, from a neurological point of view. If you read the "biological plausibility" section, it's obviously talking about substances that are the things that get you high, so presumably that's what people want out of any cannabis consumption.

This is also worth noting;
D’Souza et al 42,43, have found that intravenous tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) given under double-blind placebo control conditions produces dose-dependent increases in positive and negative psychotic symptoms in healthy volunteers and patients with schizophrenia in remission.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 09 May 2012 15:50

Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 May 2012 17:23

Even if we were to accept that claim, that doesn't mean it doesn't increase your risk of schizophrenia. What else cures cancer? Radioactive materials and toxic chemicals. Unless you have cancer, the "cures cancer" argument doesn't seem particularly strong.

Of course, if you look at both sides of the evidence, and the primary evidence, instead of propaganda videos on the internet, it's clear that this isn't a fact, that there is conflicting evidence, and that at best, it would need to be given the proviso that with some cancers in some situations, THC can be beneficial in a fight against cancer. The use of the word "cure" appears exaggerated or false, as far as I can see, since "cure" means completely recover, and I can find no scientific studies demonstrating that THC can lead to complete recoveries.

The idea that weed is either good or bad is obviously false. It has a range of effects, some positive, some negative, and whether you use it or not should depend on the circumstances you're in, and weighing up the pros and cons. Don't pretend it's all good and no harm can come to you from it - that's demonstrably rubbish.
Last edited by Jeremy on 16 Oct 2012 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 09 May 2012 18:13

Your comedy routine is hilarious.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 09 May 2012 18:26

If you would have watched the video at all, it would have gone over everything you just said, which is why I know you didn't. The video is about the benefits of marijuana all together, just the number one thing it does is to help prevent cancer. I have looked at ALL of your links, and I bet you have never really bothered with anything I have said. You have no right to argue something you won't take both sides into consideration. I have considered all the things you have posted, really, just what I have learned from people who actually have experience. Makes me think the way I do. This is not a propaganda film, it's just the only way people can view it without buying it or getting the History Channel or whatever. Well I guess it is propaganda, but no more than anything you have posted. I'm not trying to get into it or anything, but I don't see why you continue this thread. You can claim it's to help others in their choices, but it's not. If you wanted to help, you would butt out. I have mad respect for you as a footbag freestyler, but this side of you is kind of sad to see. Your argument is pretty much you are right, everyone else is wrong, and that is that.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 May 2012 18:28

Jeremy wrote: It has a range of effects, some positive, some negative, and whether you use it or not should depend on the circumstances you're in, and weighing up the pros and cons.
Derek wrote:I have considered all the things you have posted...You have no right to argue something you won't take both sides into consideration.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 09 May 2012 18:37

Damn you are slow. The argument is between me and you. You have shown your side, which I scoped. And I have mine, which you never have scoped. Yes, mine is a bit more tedious, but there is no need to be a weenie.

Figured out how to stop notifications finally, damn I'm slow.

People just love losing respect.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 May 2012 18:51

What is my position, and which part of it do you disagree with?

fatbagger
Multidex Master

Post by fatbagger » 10 May 2012 18:06

I smoke pot from time to time. I do it because I really love everything about it. Smell, taste, physical beauty, the growth of the plant, the high it gives. I love it all. But lets not pretend here, it is bad for you if you smoke it. Anything you smoke is bad for you. I personally take breaks from smoking it and plan on quitting all together. While it is much less harmful in my view than tobacco there is still risk in that regards. If your fine with that then by all means do as you wish.

Then on the other side I don't know the psychological side effects but I would assume there are some(probably less severe than from alcohol). But there is also the risk of developing worse drug habits. I've seen your typical pot head turn into heroin addicts and while this is an extreme outcome it seems to me that the use of both alcohol and marijuana led them down that path(and helped keep them there). These people had addictive personalities and other psychological issues so it definintely wasn't just pot that led to it. But I would say that you should be aware of any issues you might have before deciding that using pot is completely safe for you. Weed is not for everyone. For me it is all sunshine and rainbows and the only reason I am going to quit is because I like my lungs. But I just had to pipe in as a weed lover and say it is not like that for everyone. Also on the medicinal topic, I see no proof that it alone cures anything completely but it does offer valuable alternative treatments for many illnesses and other uses i don't have time to get into.

Oh, and I don't play high. I feel it hinders my muscle memory, shortens the time I have to play well and I just feel flat I guess. But I am open to smoking after a session to relax my legs for a second sesh an hour or two later. But I haven't done that in years. Hope someone finds this helpful.
I like to play.
I want to play good.
Dan Reed

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Re: Weed and footbag

Post by Jeremy » 27 Aug 2012 18:55

Here is an interesting study just published;

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/08/22/1206820109

A team in NZ followed just over 1000 people from birth until they were 38 (and presumably are still following), and allowing for known confounding factors, found that for people in that group who started smoking marijuana during adolescence there was a statistically significant negative correlation with intelligence and that the drop in IQ didn't go away after they stopped smoking.

Ie. Teenagers who smoke weed regularly do themselves irreversible brain damage.
Last edited by Jeremy on 16 Oct 2012 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 28 Aug 2012 07:23

good thing i didn't start smokin til college!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Alex Dworetzky
Shredaholic

Post by Alex Dworetzky » 19 Sep 2013 14:56

damnit, ive got irreversible brain damage and have no chance of increasing my intelligence :(
Alex Dworetzky
Member of the Stanford University Footbag Club (SUFC)

dolercoaster
Shredaholic

Post by dolercoaster » 20 Sep 2013 09:00

A team in NZ followed just over 1000 people from birth until they were 38 (and presumably are still following),

Well, that would certainly explain the paranoia....

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 23 Sep 2013 08:47

:lol:

Nice Bruce. Nice.