the barfly killed my knee.

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
calemccoy
Flower Child

the barfly killed my knee.

Post by calemccoy » 08 Apr 2009 19:06

so i injured my knee swinging it for the barfly; it might even be a torn acl. how are barflies done without knee injury?
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Apr 2009 21:07

Again??
Footbag is not kind to you my friend.
I have bad knees and barflies don't bother me too much. I find that toe set double downs hurt even less though. Maybe master your paradons and DODs before you move on to barflies.

You might also want to try a tighter dex for the first dex. Think nuclear almost (although I can't help you there if nuclear hurts your knees.. (nuclear is harder on my hip for me)) and then the second dex should be a butterfly dex, basically, and then some. Thinking nuclear might help you flail your leg less, moving in a more controlled manner. (Basically attacking the dex earlier, instead of waiting and whipping both dexes (just saying that hurts my knees)).

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 10 Apr 2009 08:31

you need a slow progression into moves like barfly, barrages, whirr, or any other fast dexing move where you are whipping your leg around. The muscles and tendons don't tighten and get strong over night. Do a bunch of around the worlds both ways for a few weeks try and build up the knee strength. Also, experiment with different ways of going around the bag. The way you may be doing the barfly might be putting too much strain on your knee.

How often do you play? If you are not playing at least every other day for an hour or more, I would hold off on most double dexes. If I stop playing for a week or more, I give myself two weeks of no double dexes when I start up again, playing 5 or more times a week. Otherwise I usually feel some pain on barrages, barflys and whirrs if I rush into them too quick. Just take your time, and listen to your body.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 12 Apr 2009 22:46

I thought I would post here because I have a similar injury. I partially tore my meniscus in my left knee playing basketball a month or two ago and I still feel the effects despite trying to rehab as much as possible with cycling and stretching. I really want to play again but it would probably be a poor idea at this point.

Does anyone know any good rehab exercises for this injury?
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 12 Apr 2009 23:39

Yeah, I'd agree with Erik as far as the tight dexing is concerned. I've never had real knee-rotating type dexes with double downs, and haven't experienced pain because of that.

If you don't have one, invest in one or several kinds of knee supports for that knee. At this stage, you're obviously going to have to stay off of it, but when you come back, I would recommend using a knee support during every session, and playing on softer surfaces (ie. not concrete) I've had trouble with my knee ever since ps whirl owned me and so I just don't do them anymore, or much symp of anything that involves landing on that support leg. The main thing is that knees take a really long time to heal so you have to restrain yourself as much as possible from playing until it's fully recovered.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

thedudeman
Multidex Master

Post by thedudeman » 17 Apr 2010 19:30

i highly doubt that thats a torn ACL, that shit hurts so fuckin bad, most people who get that cant walk for quite some time
im connor payne

yall already know it's stanford homie

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 22 Apr 2010 10:28

it could definitely be partially torn or strained, either of which would require extensive rehab or most likely surgery and time off.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 23 Apr 2010 09:57

barfly kills my balls. :?
James Randall

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 27 Apr 2010 22:01

for the record, my knee is much better now. it turned out to be a sprained lcl, the tendon similar to the acl on the side of your knee. anyways, i am playing full throttle again now, and as long as i dont try downtime double dexes with that leg, its fine... i can do toe ss double downs with it if im careful, but im staying away from barfly for a long time.
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 30 Apr 2010 03:08

Cale's the most accident-prone person I've ever met... seriously
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley