Looking to Lose some Weight?

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Jordan
Wu-Tang

Looking to Lose some Weight?

Post by Jordan » 01 Jul 2009 19:21

Hey modified, recently I have lost almost 30 pounds in the last 2 1/2 months. Going from 179 pounds to 152 pounds, and heres how I did it...

(This is based off how I lost my weight, and hopefully it works for you)

One thing to keep in mind is, I have been a vegetarian for 4 years, and recently became a vegan going on 2 months. Since I became a vegan, I consume no trans fats because it is simply impossibly considering trans fats are in meat and dairy. Trans fats and saturated fats are bad! Mono and Poly unsaturated fats are good for you and essential for the body. So dont go nuts eating foods with 0 grams of fat, because some fat is actually good for you.

Weight loss was easy for me because I DIDNT DIET! I ate whatever I want, I just made sure it was in moderation. I also cut out all fast foods completely. Since Im a vegan now I make all my own food. For omnivores like you guys, it should be easy finding foods that are low in fats (trans and sat) and reasonable in calories.

Metabolism...

I have read a lot and I understand that an easy way to lose weight while eating a lot, is increasing your metabolism. The way you can do that is by having scheduled eating. (ex. Eat 5-6 times a day with 2-3 hour breaks inbetween each meal) The average male consumes up to 2,000 calories or more a day. I eat 1500 calories...

A pound of weight is equal to 3,500 calories, therefor in theory, if you cut out 500 calories from your diet a day, you will lose 1 pound in a week.

Some meals I eat...

Breakfast-Breakfast bars or Organic Cereal w/ Fruit

Snack-Scoop of Peanut Butter w/ Fruit

Lunch-Sandwich (PB&J) or (Vegan Sandwhich) you can make any kind of sandwhich you like, just go for low fat mayonaise and lean cuts of meat like turkey.

Shred for 1-2 hours...

Snack-Protien Shake (Important after a workout) I drink one right after I shred.

Dinner-Tofu, Mashed Potatoes, Side of Veggies, Rice and Beans. Anything you please... But, try to keep it low fat... If you like fried foods, use canola oil. Try to add vegetables with your dinner, and salads are great side dishes, because they trick your body into being more full.

Some other great snacks are; low fat yogurt (I get soy yogurt from a local healthfood store), granola bars, any type of fruit or vegetable, and pita bread with hummus is great!

Drink 8+ glasses of water... Dont drink calories! and Coffee is terrible if your trying to lose weight.

Since Im on a 1500 calorie diet, I try to eat around 300 calories or less each meal. Heres a website if you wana find out how many calories you should intake for weightloss.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Workout/Exercise

We're all lucky here, because we all SHRED! Footbag is an amazing aerobic exercise, and it will increase your metabolism for hours after playing. I shred 1-2 hours every other day. So 5 days of shred out of 7, for up to 10 hours. Another thing thats important is mixing your aerobic exercise with your weight training. I lift dumbells in 2 sets with 5 reps each (10 curls each arm). I do this atleast 5 times a day. Weight training wont increase your metabolism, but it will increase your resting metabolism (when you sleep or arent active). So try to get some weight training in your day.

I like to do little exercises in between meals to increase metabolism (sit ups, push ups, ect...)

Important notes...

Protien is very important, especially for someone like me who eats a vegan diet. Protien shakes are very important, and I try to have one after every shred session. Protien rich foods are great because its hard for your body to process them, meaning your body is struggling to break down what your eating, therefor an increase in metabolism.

Calories... When you find out how many calories you should intake, try to zig-zag them in your diet. Meaning if your on a 1500 calorie diet, try to eat 1600 calories one day and 1400 the next, this will confuse your body and will aid better for weight loss in the future (The website I posted has a feature that will Zig-Zag your diet for you) Another thing is, try to have a day where you eat ANYTHING!!! Yes, I said it, anything you want!!! If you have a day where all you eat is chocolate and fried foods, you will confuse your bodys metabolism, and when you go back to the 1500 calorie diet the next day, you will be helping the zig-zag even more. The day I splurg in eating anything is saturdays, I eat tons of vegan Ice Cream and go to a local vegan restaraunt called Kayas' Kitchen... YUMMY!

Eat whenever you want... Dont believe people when they say eating passed 8pm is bad for you... Thats wrong. Ive heard of body builders who eat 8 times a day. They set there alarm to go off in the middle of the night so they can wake up and eat there last meal. Just make sure your staying within your calorie limit for every meal, and you will be fine.

This is how I lost weight in the past couple of months, and I really hope it works for you. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns on the matter. Thanks for reading. :wink:

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 01 Jul 2009 20:20

pics or GTFO
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 01 Jul 2009 23:22

You certainly did diet because you eliminated tons of food types from your potential intake. Good job at the weight loss, and I bet it helps your knees and ankles tons for footbag.

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 02 Jul 2009 09:11

i didnt become a vegetarian or a vegan for weightloss... It was for love of the animals and certain disgusts I have for foods in general. Since I'm a vegan all my foods have low sat fats and no trans fat. I didnt diet because whatever I wanted to eat, I ate... If I wanted a Vegan Lasagne with tons of Soy protien (Fake Meat) and vegan cheese, I can do that, because it is low in fat and calories. I was just lucky with the transformation. Dieting is when you read a stupid book written by someone who is overweight saying that all you should eat is bacon and cheeseburgers without the bun because "carbs are bad"... FALSE! In fact carbohydrates feed your organs, and are essential for your body and excellent to consume after a workout. Thats why the best protien shakes, bars, or supplements usually contain a ratio of 40/40/20. 40% Protien, 40% CARBS, and 20% essential fatty acids (mono and polly unsaturated fats)

Hope this helps.

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 11 Jul 2009 11:35

Has this helped anyone?

Does anyone need more clarification on anything I have talked about?

Feel free to ask questions :wink:

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 12 Jul 2009 14:37

How tall are you, and are you still growing?
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 12 Jul 2009 19:55

Im around 5'9-5'10.

Im not 100% sure, but I think the human body stops growing in its early 20's (Atleast thats what I have heard). Im 16, so I guess I have some more growing to do.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 12 Jul 2009 21:39

Having additional weight isn't so bad, especially once you're reaching around the 6 foot mark or over. Talk to your doctor about what is a suitable weight count for your height and age.

I'm 24, 5'6" and I'm around 139-140. Normal weight around my height is around 143ish, and for the longest time (before early June), I thought I was 148-150.

Good progress with your vegan diet, but be sure to intake some fats in you so you can develop some muscle mass. If you're not so starkly against it, fish is a great meat replacement aside from soy protein. And eggs have a lot of nutrition in them, one per day (or two if you're guaranteed in burning off the excess calories), but it is still ethically debatable whether the egg is accepted in the vegetarian diet.

And I'm sure it's a no-go for vegans. Just offering some suggestions.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 13 Jul 2009 04:43

Your a great weight for your age and height. I am actually reaching the "underweight" BMI. So I'm considering doing weight training to gain weight back in Muscle Mass.

I'm currently 147 pounds (Lost 5 more pounds since my original post) and want to get down to atleast 140 before I start more intense weight training.

As for my diet, vegans consume no meat (yes, fish are killed for our consumption, therefor I'm nice to the little fishys) :lol: and... No dairy (Eggs, Butter, Milk, Cheese) And you are totally right about the fats. I try to have a little good fat in my diet (Mono/Poly Fats) because they are essential for the body and I have posted this earlier. Thanx for the consideration though.

any other questions anyone?

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 20 Jul 2009 12:47

So while I'm "not dieting" I have to avoid trans fats, eat a certain number of times a day, count my calories, only drink water and workout!?!
You sound a lot like those writers you speak of :wink:

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 20 Jul 2009 17:43

If I said dont consume trans fats... Im right, because thats why everyone in America is obese. and If anything, I was talking more about how vegans cant possible consume trans fats because trans fats are only in meat and dairy products (which I dont consume) giving me the upper hand in weight loss. Im sure I posted that under my personal paragraph. If not, my bad.

Wouldnt you want to eat 5-6 times a day, and lose weight... I dont see why you would even comment on this. In respect.

Calorie counting should be done when first starting weight loss to see how much calories you naturally consume in your day. I should have stated that you dont have to do this after the first 2 days or so. Sorry about that.

Water, Vitamin Water, Gatorade, Propel, are all good for you. Should of stated that also! More over, I meant to say, stay away from drinks with a lot of calories and drinks such as soda, beer, any type of alcoholic beverage, because it will in fact dehydrate you... And who needs that when they wana shred for an hour or 2? Not me!

As for the comment on me sounding like "the writers" thats completely opinion... But Im pretty sure all the things I told you will help you tons more than the Atkins or South Beach Diet. Trust me.

:wink:

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 23 Jul 2009 14:39

Cutting certain foods and counting calories is dieting! LOL

Good job so far!

I lost 60 pounds doing something very similar. I dieted and exercised though :cry:

This was a typical day:

7:00 am - 1 tbs crushed flax seeds (fiber)
8:00 am - Protein Bar/32grams protein and oatmeal w/ 9 raisins
10:00 am - 20 minutes heavy weight workout
10:30 am - 2 scoops premium whey protein/27 grams protein
11:30 am - 4 mile run or P90X style workout for 40 minutes
12:30 pm - Spinach Salad w/bell peppers/feta and light dressing with Chicken breast strips
3:00 pm - 2 scoops premium whey protein/27 grams protein
5:00 pm - 1 hour or more footbag freestyle
6:30 pm - sensible dinner of 600-1100 calories MAX ie. chicken breast, brown rice, asparagus
8:00pm - 1 bowl grape nuts cereal (more fiber)

This went on for about 6 months with awesome results. Friday is eat whatever the hell you want day!

It was intense but rewarding. I am starting back, but not quite ready for this regimen. It takes about a month or so to get use to all the workouts.

~peace
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 23 Jul 2009 22:34

yet again, I didnt cut foods!!!! Im a vegan! Read :lol:

I talked about the calorie thing in my last post.. Yet again, reading would help.

As for your "typical day"... AWESOME!

The only problems with that diet/workout plan is...

You made your whole day intense workout and you probably had no fun!!! Except for shred time :lol:

Hehe, but seriously.

If your gona go back on this day plan, I suggest... Mixing in those flax seeds with your oatmeal. Have 1 Banana with every protien shake (so your body knows your having a full meal). Find out how many calories you should intake per day, and divide it by how many times your planning to eat. Since your planning on eating 6 times (by looking at your plan) you shouldnt be eating such a HUGE dinner! Every meal should have the same ammount of calories. It aids in weight loss. Also, by doing this, you wont have to eat Salads and Protien Shakes all day. You can have goodys!!! Because your making every meal equal in calories. (Yet again you will have to count calories for the first day or so when creating a diet plan, after that, its not necessary) By making every meal equal in calories, you can have a sandwhich for your lunch, then even another sandwhich for a after lunch "snack". 2 sandwhiches in 4 hours sounds a lot better than a spinach salad and a protien bar :wink:

Besides that!

The fiber and protien is great! I havent really read much on fiber, but Im aware that it gives you the feeling of "full-ness" quicker, and Im sure theres a handfull of other pros. Eating 6 times is awesome, and doing cardio and heavy weight training is great. I do the same basically. Weight training near the morning, "home gym" workout during afternoon, shred near night. Its good to do cardio first thing in the morning before you eat your first meal, but its just too hot outside at that time for me to shred, so I kinda go against that. But keep that in mind!!

I have lost close to 40 lbs in 100 days.

and if you have read the first post, all Ive really been doing is using shred as my "workout" and I litterally eat anything I want during the day, as long as its 300 calories. Which is more than a single serving of most things I eat, so I eat REALLY GOOD! Haha. {Recently I have added in weight training}

If the hard-intense training and dieting helped you, Im glad! Just keep in mind that its good to take it easy some days. Stretch a lot and take vitamins (Daily Vitamin, Calcium, and Vitamin D is what I take every morning after breakfast) to keep your body in top shape for your workouts.

Questions...

How much did you weigh before weight loss?

Whats your age and height?

Just wondering :)

Keep the questions coming guys! and if you wana post your "Daily Plans" for fitness, then go for it! I love reading that kinda stuff, and helping people out 8)

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 25 Jul 2009 16:34

If you were vegan to start with how did you ever get overwieght??? And if I eat mac and cheese, steak, and beer, that is my diet. Diet doesnt mean some plan it means what you eat. If I purposely eliminate some stuff like fruit and grains then Im on a weight gain diet (common sense).

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 25 Jul 2009 21:46

Ive been a vegan for 4 months. Ive been a vegetarian for 4 years. When I was a vegetarian all I ate was pizza and cheese fries. I wasnt overweight, but I had weight to lose...

I know what "diet" is... Im using it in this sense to make conversation and examples go by faster so questions can get answered.

Modified.smartass.in

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 28 Jul 2009 08:12

By going Vegan you are cutting meat! That's all I was pointing out.

I do exactly what you said which is to take my total caloric intake and divide by 6. It works out to around 300 calories a sitting. My dinner meal isn't that big. Last night I had 2 very small thin pork chops, 1/2 serving of brown rice, and 2 broccoli spears. I cut certain meats like ground hamburger when I can. I generally try to substitute ground turkey instead. Tuna is the best for me in the fish dept., I am not a Salmon fan. Although tuna is tough to limit yourself to throughout the week.

When I started the diet I was 240lbs., I got down to 180lbs. Afterward I took about 6 months off and gained back 25lbs. Hoping to shed that back off with this next round of diet/exercise.

I am 34 yrs. old and 6'1" tall. :D

~peace
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 30 Jul 2009 20:33

thats awesome!

im glad you understand what I am talking about! and weight loss actually got you down to a "normal weight". Congrads!

Im sure with that diet and exercise plan you will "shred" off those extra pounds in no time :D

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 11 Jul 2010 16:16

got down to 130 pounds. almost lost 50 pounds since I started the topic, happy with that. I feel great. Still taking care of myself. anyone read this recently? I feel it can help people a lot.

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 14 Jul 2010 04:39

That's what I love about weight loss. Everyone thinks "Diet is the only way," but there are others.

And it's good that you actually succeeded. I'm one of the 1/3 people in my city who is not overweight. That means there are just way to many failed "Diet only" programs.

DimitriFrazao
Hack Fiend

Post by DimitriFrazao » 15 Jul 2010 06:55

Just be careful with extreme diets.
Everything in life needs to be balanced. It's always good to be in the middle.
I was on a vegetarian/vegan diet for almost a year and I lost a lot of lean weight (muscle). I started having back problems and the doctor told me that I needed more animal protein (shakes and other protein drinks won't do the trick).
My body type doesn't grow muscle easily, so eating meat once in while it's good for me, but that my body type. Some people might find a vegetarian/vegan diet very suitable.

Be careful with your growth. You're 16 and you'll still have a few more years to grow. Make sure your body has the proper nutrients. malnutrition can effect growth during teen years and it's irreversible.

If you decide to become a vegan, make sure you do it right. You have to compensate for the lack of meat by eating a variety of food. It's really easy to get sick if you don't take it seriously.
I've known a lot of people that became Vegan because of peer pressure or just because it's trendy nowadays. Most of them weren't doing it right and had health issues.

I recently put on some weight due to school stress, but within only a month of eating at home and footbaging I lost 13 pounds.

Eat lots of fruits, vegetables and salad. Drink lots of water and play footbag. Doing this you can still eat meat, lose weight and be healthy.