how to REALLY get crank

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Wumbo
BSOS Beast

how to REALLY get crank

Post by Wumbo » 23 Mar 2016 03:53

hi,

im a freestyler from germany and i noticed that i got pretty bad ankle crank, so that makes it difficult to stall.

i tried streching but i got the feeling it doesnt help anything.

do you have any suggestions for me?

any secret tricks?

i remember david said crank comes from muscle strenght, but i myself belief its more the flexibility that u naturally have or not.

pleasy help

Wumbo

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: how to REALLY get crank

Post by Cass » 23 Mar 2016 18:03

Some people simply have more crank.

A combination of stretching, muscle strength training, and shoe mods (brocka) can help improve an unlucky crank situation.

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 23 Mar 2016 22:53

An often over looked component of crank is how you hold your hips as well. While the angle between your shin and foot won't specifically change, if you adjust your hip position you can ultimately decrease the angle between your foot and ground.
As a player without the gift of crank, I can also say that your muscles do indeed play a strong role in keeping your inflexible ankle at the peak of its limit... Which will in turn eventually increase even if just minimally.

Should you want in person tips, jump on a train to Tegernsee. See you here ;)
Jay Boychuk

Wumbo
BSOS Beast

Post by Wumbo » 24 Mar 2016 03:49

my goal would be ultimate 90° flat angle, but i suppose this is so impossible. i know jorden moir doesnt have that much crank, and still he is one of the best players. i saw him shredding 2006 and what i saw is that he doesnt have the crank, but still much more than i do.

it might sound crazy, but i even thought about ankle surgery to become a better player. tell me if this is too sick.

can you post a pic of how i must position my hip? that would be helpful

im from germany where is tegernsee?

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 24 Mar 2016 18:19

As some one with uneven calf muscles from my time playing basketball, I can attest to the fact that muscles help improve crank. That said, I injured my right ankle years ago and have slightly less range of motion on that side. Nonetheless I have improved the crank slowly through practice and work outs. I'd say it's probably both flexibility and muscle.
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot