Injured players roster

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Kyle Hewitt
something more funny

Post by Kyle Hewitt » 05 Dec 2006 15:33

I don't strech to much and what is cross training? and I try everything for shin splints (toe tapping and rubbing them) I've tried taking a week off before and it didn't work so it just sucks altogether

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 05 Dec 2006 15:35

Kyle-

Please do lots of toe taps to make your muscles catch up with each other. I only recently stopped having shin splint pain when I shred and I did almost 200 taps each foot a day.

On top of that, if during your warmup for shred, you do some running and skipping backwards, it would be beneficial to training both the pushing and pulling muscle which will in turn reduce tendencies of overtraining one which results in shin splints.
Pengpeng Du

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 05 Dec 2006 17:31

I read a post of your's recently that says you use the stock insoles on the g-units kyle. Have you tried spencos? I was using gunits for like a week w/ the stock, and i got the same pain in my ankle/shin that you described

Kyle Hewitt
something more funny

Post by Kyle Hewitt » 05 Dec 2006 17:54

I'll try putting spenco insoles in my gunits...... when my mom gives back my shred shoes =*(

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 05 Dec 2006 20:38

I'm looking for someone to take over maintenance of this thread. Mike would replace them as the first poster in the thread so they could edit it and keep the list up as Erik did.

This would hopefully be a long term commitment, so please keep that in mind.

Please PM me if interested.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 11 Dec 2006 21:11

Injured ankle again :(

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 16 Dec 2006 06:16

well, i do believe my thumb is either fractured or very badly sprained. i had a alcohol-laden wrestling match last night against a 300ish pound friend. kicked his ass, but he landed on my hand awkwardly. its very swollen and completely useless. im hoping it wont hold my game back at all, but its very painful and can be distracting...
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 19 Dec 2006 05:37

both quads injured playing net, left is bad, right is just annoying, damn sole push spike :(

tuomoruutufan
Fearless

Post by tuomoruutufan » 25 Dec 2006 17:45

I believe i have a stress fracture in my right foot.

I will be calling my doctor ASAP tomorrow
~Shawn Patrick Boyle~

tuomoruutufan
Fearless

Post by tuomoruutufan » 26 Dec 2006 15:06

my belief has been confirmed by x rays

i will being seing a pediatrist tomorrow to get cast/treatment

my doctor said to expect 6-8 weeks away from any serious actions like footbag. he also said i would have to recondition myself and slowly work my way to playing at the level i was before.

*******UPDATE************

So MRIs confirm it is a stress reaction* not a stress fracture

what this means is i was about a dozen steps away from my bone completely fracturing into 2, i feel very little pain and i simply need to be very carefull wear a big plastic walking brace/boot for 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks i will get rechecked and xrayed, if i get a clean bill of health i will start retraining.

starting tuesday im going back on my weight loss diet, going to hit the gym and start exercising my upperbody and just getting a work out anyway i can, then once the boot comes off im going to do alot of leg cardio, rowing machine elipticals and do some light walking/power walking exercises while on plenty of vitamins to regrow my strength and confidence that my bones are not about to break again.

Then after 2-3 weeks of that i plan on starting up some shred training, work on low impact tircks like clipper, osis, ducking, spins, DATW. then after that im going to start retraining my higher impact moves like my (flip)butterfly, Pixie toe runs, whirls, stepping sets, Paradox moves, alpine moves....exct.......

I want to be carefull and i want to be discilplined about this, I realize i spent a large portion of my shred training with bad form and sloppy execution, and even thought lately i have started to fix that and started to play much smoother and in control, it odviously wasnt enough cause i was very close to fracturing a bone in my foot

So i hope some of you who may be a bit overweight or maybe you play really heavy on your feet, maybe you stomp really hard or you link alot of high impact tricks back to back, well if you fall into any of these categories than be very aware of the amount of stress and work load that puts into the bones on your feet, consider re training to lessen that impact, consider vitamins, consider better insoles or not ignoring the fact that your insoles have worn out.
~Shawn Patrick Boyle~

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 02 Jan 2007 07:53

slapdash21 wrote:well, i do believe my thumb is either fractured or very badly sprained. i had a alcohol-laden wrestling match last night against a 300ish pound friend. kicked his ass, but he landed on my hand awkwardly. its very swollen and completely useless. im hoping it wont hold my game back at all, but its very painful and can be distracting...
update, two weeks and three days later:

but i think its getting better
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

tuomoruutufan
Fearless

Post by tuomoruutufan » 09 Jan 2007 14:18

Right foot update

Saw my doctor today, i got cleared to walk and do light activities

so no more silly boot wearing for me :)

In two weeks I will be going in to get cleared to play footbag, i will get a custom cast mold that will create a special insole to help prevent this injury from re-accuring.

so all is well and im on schedule to play footbag in about 3 weeks.
~Shawn Patrick Boyle~

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 09 Jan 2007 20:11

this is good. Take your time getting back into it, your legs probably weak, so no two hour solo sessions right off the get go.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

Spawn
Multidex Master

Post by Spawn » 11 Jan 2007 17:47

Sprained right ankle :( so I'll be out for 3 weeks... Not much of a basketball fan now.
CL: how to lick own elbow, illusions, pixies, and basics
-Denton louis

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 12 Jan 2007 07:41

finally my hand is good to go. still not perfect, but close enough
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

dan the man
Shredaholic

Post by dan the man » 18 Jan 2007 11:12

got what i am going to call shin splints for now. and i just went to the doctor to get wart burned off.....

i know its really distgusting, :oops: so i cannot walk for a couple days.
Dan is the Man

challenge me!

tuomoruutufan
Fearless

Post by tuomoruutufan » 19 Jan 2007 09:46

shin splints so bad you cant walk

shin splints typically mean you can play for a day

but im no doctor and thats been my experience.

shin splints have 3 cures

1. Better insoles (Spencos is my recomendation)
2. Balanced training/practice (be sure to equally be practicing and schooling both all different kinds of tricks)

If one or two different tricks is resulting in shin splints it means you dont know how to do the trick. Yeah maybe you are hitting butterfly but your form is so bad that it cause your legs to be in pain.

just using that as an example cause if you see how often a trick like butterfly is used then anyone should know that if the trick is giving them shin splints then the trick is not completely schooled.

In my experience it was butterfly and mirage that gave me the most pain, you just gotta stick with it and it gets better and better with more practice.

3. Rest, when your shin splints get to the point of very uncomfortable pain STOP playing, ice them up and rest, maybe the next day you dont practice the tricks giving you shin splints.
~Shawn Patrick Boyle~

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 19 Jan 2007 21:19

I twisted my ankle pretty bad today.

Iced it, and have been stretching it ever since it happened.

Before I go to bed, I'm going to put some icy hot stuff on it.

Then in then morning I'm going to wrap it and ice it and put the icy hot stuff on it again.

I don't know how long I'll be out. Last time I twisted my ankle I was out for 10 min's. This one my be a couple of days, or a week. Don't know.
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

beenjammin
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by beenjammin » 01 Feb 2007 21:24

Technically Im injured but Im still a machine programmed to play footbag so I dont know if I could be labeled as "injured" as my doctor tells me I am. Im more of a guy that experiences pain a little more than average but thats ok. Im drunk again I hope this post makes sense :oops:
Someone punch me in the face!
"Every cereal is my favorite cereal"
Ben Rinowski

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 02 Feb 2007 10:16

Strained a groin muscle doing Stepping ducking sets... last time i did this injury it was doing Atomic ducking and i was out for a month! :? Hopefully not as bad this time...
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda